Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2013, 05:56 PM   #1
luvgoing2disney
DIS Veteran

The worst week of my life

Man oh man what a horrible week this has been. It's probably no worse than what others have experienced. I shared the details on the Theme Parks page because it looked I would have to cancel our trip for Saturday but looks like we will go after all and was asking there what Disney's policy on canceling so close to the trip was like as far as fee's, etc.

Last Sunday while in church I received some texts indicating my mom was having health problems at her church 20 miles away. It turned out she was having a stroke during their service and was carried to the local ER She was air-lifted to another hospital and she suffered a second stroke that eliminated all quality of life We made the decision not to have her hooked to machines even though she was already on a breathing tube, and we elected to have it removed the next morning.

But instead of being at the hospital, I had to carry my wife to the ER and it turned out she had appendicitis which required emergency surgery. My mom passed away about four hours after my DW's surgery.

But we have accepted what has transpired, the doc has given us permission to go on the trip the day after mom's service and frankly she would have insisted we go anyway. So it's been kinda traumatic but getting better.

So how was your week?

1997, 2000, 2002, 2004, Disneyland 2005, 2006, October 2007, May 2008, Christmas 2009, Disneyland 2011, April 2012, May 2013, September 2013, Disneyland April 2014
luvgoing2disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:02 PM   #2
Disneyland1084
OH PLEASE SOMEBODY TELL ME!
I'm not going to let that chickenhead nugget bother me
HEY!! Where is everyone?

I'm sorry to hear about the passing of your mother, but glad your wife is doing well. That's good you're still going on your trip. 13 years ago my uncle died in a plane crash two weeks before my aunt was to leave for Europe. She still went, due to the encouragement from everyone in the family.
Register to remove

Old 09-04-2013, 06:04 PM   #3
I Love Pluto
DIS Veteran
I guess that makes me a kiddie song expert.

I'm so sorry about your Mom, & I hope your wife is feeling better.

You deserve a break! I hope your Disney trip is awesomely perfect!
Old 09-04-2013, 07:25 PM   #4
worm761

I speak just to hear my own voice
I about died laughing when i heard that!!!

I am so sorry and I hope your wife feels better.

I had one of those weeks last month. My uncle passed away, the following week my DH's grandma passed very suddenly, and then we lost two of our "family" to deployments. All in a one week time span. Thankfully the third one we were going to lose found a job locally so at least I got to keep one!
worm761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:02 PM   #5
maslex
DIS Veteran

So sorry.

I had a cruise to Bermuda scheduled for last August and my parents could not wait to hear all about the trip and see photos since they took that same cruise for their 25th anniversary back in 1993. It's all my dad talked about. Unfortunately, he passed away 3 weeks before we were to set sail.

I really didn't feel I should go on the vacation due to the fact of his passing plus having my mom move out of state to go live with my sister during that same week. But my mom, brother and sister told me to go because that's what dad would have wanted.

We went. We had a good time. Yes, there were days that weren't up to vacation standards but I managed to enjoy myself as best as I could and I'm sure my dad was happy that I went. In the end, I think it's really what I needed (to get away from it all even is only for a week)
maslex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:09 PM   #6
Mary•Poppins
DIS Veteran

All I can do is send a . I am so sorry for your loss.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:35 PM   #7
Liberty Belle
I was going to reply, but I see I already did...three years ago!
Hey, I warned you. Now go have a drink. It's the only thing that takes it away
Makes sleestack noises when her throat itches

I am so sorry.

DH: Me: DS (20): DS(10):
(Hunter) (Leo) (Anatevka) : (Cookie)
Liberty Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:41 PM   #8
SLP958
DIS Veteran

I am so sorry.
SLP958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:55 PM   #9
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

I'm so sorry. That sounds like a doozie. Sending you prayers and pixie dust.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:08 PM   #10
MariDisney
Learned a difficult lesson about eating chocolate in the dark!
Had to admit to eating bird poo to get what she wanted
Fully open=cool. Fully closed=cool. Half way=no can do

I don't know what I'd do. But, I wanted to offer my condolences on your loss and wish your wife a speedy recovery.
Mari...A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow is Just a Dream Away...7/98 Carribean Beach ... 1/03 All Star Movies ...9/03 All Star Music ... 6/04 Port Orleans Riverside Honeymoon ... 1/05 Port Orleans French Quarter ... 1/06 Carribean Beach ...9/06 Pop Century ... 8/07 Port Orleans Riverside...9/08 Port Orleans French Quarter...9/09 Coronado Springs...9/11 Port Orleans Riverside
MariDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:15 PM   #11
smitch425
DIS Veteran

So sorry for your loss. I hope your wife recovers quickly and you have a great trip. Through tragedy, we are reminded of how important it is to live every single day to the absolute fullest. Go and make memories with your loved ones. Your momma will be watching over all of you.
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:24 PM   #12
Kimberle
WL Vet

So sorry for your loss.
Sept 04 CR 14th fl Concierge Aug 06 Royal Pacific, Club Level Aug 07 AKL, Club Level Aug 08, POR Aug 09 Beach Club Dec 10, Xmas in Tahiti Aug 11, WL Aug 12, Hawaii Apr 13, BC July 14, HRH, CR-MK Club Level
Kimberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:29 PM   #13
superme80
DIS Veteran

I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope your wife has a speedy recovery.
DH-42 ME-34 DS #1-5 DS #2 3 DS #3 1 year old
superme80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:23 PM   #14
Arielle22
We have had spirits
I had never heard of it before the Dis
this is how we show love, get used to it

30 years ago my paternal passed away suddenly. I was there when he was found in his home. Mom said we wouldn't tell my Dad who was in the hospital due to ongoing heart problems. A few hours after we got home after dealing with the police and undertaker, Mom got a call that Dad has also died.

The next morning we called the funeral and changed the funeral to a double funeral. It was One month to the day before my brother was to be married.

Mom insisted he go ahead with the wedding. Her wedding had been delayed due to the death of an aunt and she didn't want my brother and SIL to go through that.

The wedding went on as scheduled and it gave us someng to smile about. SIL came home pregnant from the honeymoon and my niece was the light of Moms life.

OP, I am sorry about your mom and wife. I hope you have a great Disney trip.
CB 03/92
CSR and BC 08/09
BWI 11/11
OFF SITE 88,94,96,00
Arielle22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:06 PM   #15
kofslinky
Mouseketeer

I'm very sorry to hear of your mother's passing. I hope your wife is doing well.

We all have stories of weeks like this. My family went through a stretch in 2010- first my aunt passed away (the funeral was the same weekend I was going to be at Disney, and the family insisted we go), then my father went into the hospital for a few days and was diagnosed with a bone marrow issue. The day after he came home I went to the doctor's after discovering a lump in my left breast which turned out to be stage IV breast cancer (I was 27 at the time).

I hope that our stories help you get through your week. It's tough now, but there are better days ahead and happier times. Until then,

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: