Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2011, 07:45 AM   #16
cvjw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessTiffany View Post
We made the mistake of doing the Deluxe plan one time - NEVER again. My husband and kids were revolting by the third day. We found 3 sit down/table service meals is just too many and wastes way too much precious park time. One sit-down meal per day seems to be perfect for us. I have a Disney Planning service and this has also been a consenus from many people I have planned trips for, most that have chosen the Deluxe plan have come back and said that it was too much food and took too much time away from the parks - not everyone, but the majority said they would just do the basic/plus DDP.
To each their own. We loved the DDP, and have already added it again for our next trip in Dec/Jan. We are DVC, and are in the parks 3-4 weeks per year. We don't have to worry about wasting precious park time - we have plenty of that. We aren't Disney commandos anymore - we love to slow down and enjoy great meals - it is part of what makes Disney great for our family.
cvjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:10 AM   #17
Disneyliscious
DIS Veteran

I have checked it and re-checked it. The DDP has NEVER been a deal for us and we always pay less by doing out-of-pocket. When using the menu's at allears.net and adding up the cost of what we'll eat, its far less than the cost of the DDP.

Remember, NOTHING is free. You are paying for it somewhere.
Disneyliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-16-2011, 03:18 PM   #18
pamelaz
Meowza

I've looked into this question alot in the past few weeks. For our trip in August, we decided not to get it. When looking at the menu's and figuring out what we would order, compared to the daily price - for us it's just not worth it.
pamelaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:17 AM   #19
BBG-BLT
Bunch of Booth-Genthe's

It really depends on the 10 year old. If she eats like an adult and likes good unique food then I think it might be worth it. For us it's our last year on the plan. When my twins turn 10 we'll be headed back to the rooms for most meals. Just too expensive to do the DDP.

I need some Magic
BLT Owner since 2009
BBG-BLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 05:34 PM   #20
amylynne01
DIS Veteran

We didn't do it in January because it didn't make sense financially. DH and I are going back for a long weekend in December, and we decided to do the Basic DDP (1 TS, 1 CS, and 1 snack). The cost of it ($45.99 per night) is about the same as a $30 TS meal, a $10 CS meal, and $4 snack, but we can get any TS meal we want. We probably won't do it when we go back in 2013 - planning on staying at BLT and will eat breakfast in room and pack a lunch).
12/2011 SSR with no kids for our 5yr anniversary
1/2013 BLT for our first trip as a family of 5
8/2015 FW? Family reunion with my parents, sisters, and kids
12/2016 Poly? Celebrating our 10yr anniversary with our kids
amylynne01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:19 PM   #21
lifesgr8
Mouseketeer

oh my crazy!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvjw View Post
I have to disagree about the deluxe dining plan. We just recently purchased it for 4 nights, and totally got our money's worth. It cost us $320 per night for our family, and we easily got double that in food. It is 3 table service credits per day, to use as you wish. We had the most fun eating at great restaurants, and ordering an appetizer, entree and dessert for everyone in our family. My boys were in heaven. Our cheapest bill for a TS dinner was over $200, with some being closer to $400. You can easily get your money's worth ++++.

To the OP's point about the regular dining plan. We love using the Disney dining plan. We are DVC, so we pay to add the dining plan to our reservations. I like the fact that my 15 and 11 year old boys can order what ever they want off the menu. If they want the $40 steak, they can have it. If we were paying OOP, I would cringe at them ordering that steak. You have to balance out the cost of the dining plan for your family, and then look at the menus of the restaurants that you are interested in dining at to make sure that you will get your money's worth. Some restaurants are alot cheaper than others, and are better payed for OOP, than with the dining plan. Unless you get free dining, then I guess it doesn't matter.

Ahhhh! I am going crazy! How do you figure all this dining out?! Is there a place that lays out all these things? table service, quick service, credits, tinkerbell card or what ever that was, deluxe, ????? all I know is I have 5 kids and the last time we went to dl they ate me out of my budget and I was constantly saying no no no! coming to wdw in january.....I want more of a relaxing meal time rather than pinching pennies the entire time. we dont do sit down meals with our younger 2 they wont really sit through a regular meal and I dont want to make reservations 4-6 months in advance. we like to eat when we are hungry, close to where we are standing at the time! so can you use a credit for a sit down dinner at a quick service place? is there a place that explains all of the options? or what things might cost with out the dining? help!
lifesgr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:21 PM   #22
lifesgr8
Mouseketeer

tables in wonderland

would someone explain the tables in wonderland card?

oh and another dining question..... Are restuarants at a Disney resort considered a Disney restuarant like in the park? So if I buy the dining plan can I use credits at the food court of the cbr? OR my diney gift cards?
Old 07-17-2011, 07:31 PM   #23
lifesgr8
Mouseketeer

re-fillable mug

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonabe View Post
If the only two sit-downs you want are the ones you mentioned, then you'll be better off without any dining plan. Rainforest Cafe is not on the DDP, so you would have to pay OOP for that anyway.

As for the QSDP (quick-service/counter-service), it is 2 meals a day, one snack, and a refillable mug that is only good at your resort. For three of you it will be $35.00/day and I don't remember how much it is for a child. If you want drinks and desserts with ALL your meals, you'll do okay. If you're water drinkers and dessert twice a day (plus another snack) seems like too much, you'll do better without it.
the refill mug is not good in the parks?
Old 07-17-2011, 07:49 PM   #24
lifesgr8
Mouseketeer

Quick service

If I do the dining plan ... are there only certain places we can use the credits? Is there a list of that somewhere?
Old 07-17-2011, 07:50 PM   #25
sharonabe
DIS Veteran

lifesgr8:

It sounds like you would not benefit from any of the dining plans. You are going in Jan 2012 when the quick/counter service (QSDP) plan will only include 2 meals, 1 snack, and the refillable mug and it will cost $35 for each person 10 and up and I think $12 for 3-9. For each meal at a counter service (walk-up, order, and find a table) you will get your entree (burger, chicken, fish, ribs, etc), dessert, and a drink. And yes, the refillable mug is only good at YOUR resort not the parks.

The way to figure it out for you would be to check out the menus at allearsnet.com and look at the "counter service" restaurants to see what your family would like. If what you would order for two meals is more than $35, then get the QSDP, but remember they still only get 1 entree, 1 dessert, and 1 drink per meal. If you have some heavy eaters and you're going to be supplementing the QSDP with more food, then you'll probably be better off just going OOP.

All the other plans, DDP and DxDP are for sit-down, table service (TS) meals and since you said you don't want to do those, they would not be a good deal for you.

If you go to the restaurant board, there is a thread titled "$40 a day". That will give you some ideas of what you could eat for just $5 more than the QSDP, but they all include a TS, so you should be able to do the same with just QS.

Last edited by sharonabe; 07-17-2011 at 08:01 PM.
sharonabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:13 PM   #26
ILoveWD
Mouseketeer

We skipped the DP on our last trip to WDW. This was the first trip that I did not gain 5-8 pounds over a week. I found that on the DP I always ordered a soda and and ate the dessert because it was included or paid for by the plan. I liked the freedom to order a CS kids meal for myself or have an just have an appetizer as a meal with water.

We keep our food receipts and calculated that we did save money every day without paying for the DP. We also took our own water bottles to the parks and small snacks from home for between meals.

Your resort selection and room discount (if you have one) and also whether you pay for the dining plan are also factors.

That is just what worked for my family. Each person has a different answers based on their family needs.
ILoveWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:19 PM   #27
lifesgr8
Mouseketeer

all ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonabe View Post
lifesgr8:

It sounds like you would not benefit from any of the dining plans. You are going in Jan 2012 when the quick/counter service (QSDP) plan will only include 2 meals, 1 snack, and the refillable mug and it will cost $35 for each person 10 and up and I think $12 for 3-9. For each meal at a counter service (walk-up, order, and find a table) you will get your entree (burger, chicken, fish, ribs, etc), dessert, and a drink. And yes, the refillable mug is only good at YOUR resort not the parks.

The way to figure it out for you would be to check out the menus at allearsnet.com and look at the "counter service" restaurants to see what your family would like. If what you would order for two meals is more than $35, then get the QSDP, but remember they still only get 1 entree, 1 dessert, and 1 drink per meal. If you have some heavy eaters and you're going to be supplementing the QSDP with more food, then you'll probably be better off just going OOP.

All the other plans, DDP and DxDP are for sit-down, table service (TS) meals and since you said you don't want to do those, they would not be a good deal for you.

If you go to the restaurant board, there is a thread titled "$40 a day". That will give you some ideas of what you could eat for just $5 more than the QSDP, but they all include a TS, so you should be able to do the same with just QS.

Ive just been to all ears and priced for just my oldest child and what he would eat...would be oop $30. (in park eating) so you are right. I just dont see us doing sit down meals, we have never been that kind of park goer. And my 6 year old will not sit through much of any meal in public. I am new to disboards so I will go find a section about eating (im sure there is one right?) and find more about these mugs, savings cards etc?! but, for now unless the dining plan is free (hopefully it will be in jan 2012) I wont pay extra for it. I do need to figure out a way to budget for the days and not be a food/money miser ... that drove me nuts at dl last time! teenagers are always hungry! and the churros look much better than the wheat thins in my diaper bag!
Old 07-17-2011, 08:40 PM   #28
amylynne01
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesgr8 View Post
Ive just been to all ears and priced for just my oldest child and what he would eat...would be oop $30. (in park eating) so you are right. I just dont see us doing sit down meals, we have never been that kind of park goer. And my 6 year old will not sit through much of any meal in public. I am new to disboards so I will go find a section about eating (im sure there is one right?) and find more about these mugs, savings cards etc?! but, for now unless the dining plan is free (hopefully it will be in jan 2012) I wont pay extra for it. I do need to figure out a way to budget for the days and not be a food/money miser ... that drove me nuts at dl last time! teenagers are always hungry! and the churros look much better than the wheat thins in my diaper bag!
I haven't seen free dining offered in January in 09, 10, or 11. And you do pay extra for "free" dining because it means you can't get a discount on your room. You can get a discount on your room, pay OOP for food, and get your tickets through an authorized reseller like Undercover Tourist or AAA. Or you can pay full price for your room, get your tickets through Disney, and get free dining. For your family, it really sounds like the first option I listed will be better.
12/2011 SSR with no kids for our 5yr anniversary
1/2013 BLT for our first trip as a family of 5
8/2015 FW? Family reunion with my parents, sisters, and kids
12/2016 Poly? Celebrating our 10yr anniversary with our kids
amylynne01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:58 PM   #29
beautyqueen
Mouseketeer

We will be doing the dining plan when we go as a family next summer and also staying CL so breakfast types of items will be in the CL area. For our Feb trip with just me and three of my 5 kids we are doing the dxddp, I am going with the oldest of the three and staying value, my 16y/o can eat like 2 grown men and he won't be with us for the summer trip so I want him to be able to enjoy his time with shows and other 2ts meals.

beautyqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:26 PM   #30
lakohls
How Long Until Our Next Disney Trip?

We are effectively a family of 5 going in November. 3 adults & 2 kids for 7 nights (8 full days) regular DDP should be about $1133. I did a spreadsheet with our reservations & estimated prices from allears as suggested many times on the boards and come up with a total of $1573 for the week. Assumptions include $4 snacks and $12 QS meals/person/day plus our sit-downs which include 3 character meals. So may be about $400 saved this trip. (I know kids QS will be less, and not all snacks are $4, but for ease of spreadsheet these were my assumptions).

However, I am still torn on the meal plan as it is not how we would always prefer to eat. Likely this will be the last trip on the plan as next time 2 of the kids will be "adults" and the math in combination with my "prefer to eat" concern will trump the possible savings.
2003 - WDW off property, 2005 - WDW Sheraton Vistana, 2007 - Christmas at Yacht Club, 2010 - Easter DVC Animal Kingdom Kidani, 2011 - November DVC Animal Kingdom Kidani, 2013 - Easter DVC Animal Kingdom Kidani plus 2 days at Sea World, 2015 - February DVC Animal Kingdom Jambo plus 3 days at Universal
lakohls is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
character dining, counter service, dining plans, eating, food

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: