Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2011, 04:05 AM   #16
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcaPotter View Post
What's this? Why, it's Cinderella Castle at WDW. A for Effort, though?
One Disney, spreading beyond the berm.
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:17 AM   #17
Guatemommy
Mouseketeer

Subbing!!!!
Love your writing style!
We will be taking our first DL adventure in November after many WDW trips so I will be taking notes for sure! I am the mega researcher like you so I can't wait to read more!

Me the pixie dust planner DH DD

Guatemommy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-16-2011, 02:01 PM   #18
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcaPotter View Post
Wow, that's the first I've heard about Tortilla Jo's regarding anything like that! I'm glad that food poisoning is not what caused my issue, and Dixie also had a problem the next morning right after finishing at Goofy's, but that was unrelated to the food as well. Had I known ahead of time, though, I probably would've recommended a different place to eat. Everything tasted great and the service was really good, too ... so thank goodness we didn't have that kind of a problem.

And that's not unusual about the heights thing. I've actually grown into a nervous flier, and despite being nervous about being so high up, I'm actually more anxious if I can't see out a window to see what's going on. Flying stand-by, I had no choice as to where my seat was located. Twice I was seated either in the middle or on the aisle, and the person next to the window decided to keep it closed the whole time. With the opposite row doing the same, I felt like I was being hurled through space in a giant metal tube I feel better when my brain is occupied with a book or game or something.

The Fairfield probably wanted a specific picture for the rooms in keeping with their "let's show Disneyland under construction" theme. Only, there were probably no Sleeping Beauty Castle photos like that, so they figured any Disney castle would do. I wonder how many folks notice that!

And as a preview, I loved Goofy's and it was the absolute perfect start to the vacation! Your recommendations were well founded! I'll probably get more of the report written tomorrow night; I have an article I need to finish first for my editor.
I was laughing about at the "being hurled through space in a giant metal tube" comment! I can see where a window seat might provide some comfort at that point!

Yay! I'm so glad to hear that Goofy's was a success! People are so divided on some character meals that you could literally have two different groups visit any given meal on the same exact day, same exact time, with the same exact characters and food, and both groups come back with two drastically different reports! Sometimes, when I read the complaints that folks have about various restaurants, I begin to wonder if I just have different expectations for my character meals. Maybe I have lower standards or terrible taste! Or maybe I just have tremendous luck when I eat at these places and I always happen to get there on the good days?

Whatever mysterious 'thing' it is that I might expect from a character meal seems to be satisfied when I eat at Goofy's. For me, it's a good blend of food and characters. Sure, it's had its 'off' days here and there over the near-20 years that I have been eating there - all restaurants have those days when they are just not as 'on their game' as other times - but its overall track record has been very successful for me.

As for the Tortilla Jo's thing - of course, food poisoning is not something to be taken lightly if that's, indeed, what happens at TJ's. But I tend to think that much of the difference in opinion on that restaurant has to do with what I was talking about in regards to the character meals (or any other meals) throughout DLR - some people will come back and say they've had a wonderful time filled with fabulous food and service, while others will come back and say it was the worst meal of their lives and the service was atrocious! So it gets really hard to take any particular 'review' of any DLR eatery and treat it as gospel because I think so many people have so many different expectations, tastes and opinions.

Let's face it. If we were all to avoid any DLR restaurant that has ever received a negative review, none of us would ever be eating anywhere when we go to DLR! All the dining establishments would be empty!

Anyway, I can't wait for the next installment!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014

Last edited by Sherry E; 07-17-2011 at 02:11 AM. Reason: Typos, etc.!
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 01:17 AM   #19
OrcaPotter
Lucky to be local to the Mouse

Day 2, Part 1: Goofy's in the Kitchen!

(Reading back, I see my writing littered with tense shifts, so I do apologize for that. I need to edit my own editing I guess I shouldn't write so late at night.)

Our first full day at DLR started promptly at 5 AM. I don't think I have ever in my life woken up at such an ungodly hour so rested, bright-eyed, and bushy tailed! Granted, we were asleep by 9:30 PM PST and it was 8:00 AM EST at that point, so we had a full 8 hours. I had set my alarm for 5:30 but I woke naturally at 5 and was ready to go. My master plan to do our Goofy's Kitchen character breakfast at 7 AM the first day worked splendidly!

We were uncertain as to exactly how long it would take us to cross over to the DLH, so Dixie wanted us out the door no later than 6:20. We got out just in time, and marveled at the gorgeous cool weather! When we left home at 3 AM the previous morning, it was still so humid that the windows were covered in condensation. Now it was breezy, cool, and gloriously dry!

There was no one out at that hour, except for a couple of joggers (and I noticed one jogging mother with her baby strapped to her chest already "lined up" for security to open for the parks). We took advantage of the cleared plaza to take photos, and we noticed some guards eyeing us suspiciously. Dixie got the impression they wanted us to move along.

The WOD Store at WDW seems bigger to me, though the DLR version seemed easier to navigate

DLR's DTD also has a lot more fountains and pretty areas

We were surprised at how far back the DLH was from the parks; I'm not sure why we expected this DTD to be smaller ... I guess because there is no ex-Pleasure Island between a "marketplace side" and "west side"

While I dearly miss Pleasure Island, I liked the atmosphere of this DTD.

The monorail was actually down--it ran for the first day at the parks, but we left it to ride later in the week. Mistake; it didn't open again until the day we left. But dude, station right in DTD ... wish WDW would expand their tracks. But they're actually cutting back service now since the trains are buckling under disrepair.

It was weird to see DTD so empty! Is this what life is like at sunrise?

When we arrived at Goofy's Kitchen, they weren't open yet. We had about 15 minutes to kill, so we kinda wandered aimlessly in the lobby area there. For a good while, we were the only ones there. However, interestingly enough, apparently there was a big dance competition at the DLH going on the entire time we were at DLR. The ballroom close to GK on that floor was where they either competed or, it seemed, a shopping area was set up for the dancers. It was almost like being at Hollywood Studios during cheerleading season. Almost.

Disney seems to be doing a lot with hand-carved stonework in their floors. The Grand Floridian recently remodeled their lobby area with very detailed work, such as this.

Random vintage Autopia car by the escalators!

Soon, almost all at once, several families arrived and immediately lined up at the counter at GK. We promptly fell into place behind them. Now, I had made this specific reservation myself. I told the rep that we were celebrating Dixie's birthday and my graduation. Now, I assumed because they asked if we were celebrating, that something or another would be presented or announced. We took a few photos as we waited to be seated, and Goofy himself came out to greet us and "chat" with some CM's about the status of breakfast in the kitchen. We were called up for our official photo after one other family, and to my delight it was sous-chef Pluto!

Now, Dixie had obtained her birthday pin at WDW the day before we left, and she wore it every day of the trip. We were floored by the countless amount of "happy birthdays" that were called out to her during our stay; she confessed that not nearly as many CMs and people do that at WDW anymore, because of the sheer amount of "birthdays" walking around. Well, it seemed that the folks at DLR really go out of their way to make you feel special on your birthday. ... Only that seemed to eclipse any other celebration. Dixie got a solo photo with Pluto as the birthday girl, and then that was that. Later, when they tried to sell us the photos, they added the birthday borders to both. They tried twice to sell them to us, mentioning the CM discount that would bring them down to something like $30. We politely told her we'd "think about it," content with the copy we got on my own camera.

We were seated almost right next to the entrance/exit, in a corner directly next to a window where the rising sun was beaming directly through. I'm not quite sure why they chose to put us in this extreme, out-of-the-way spot when the entire restaurant was still empty and closer tables for 4 were available. But hey, whatever. We're not very picky people. Our drink orders were taken almost immediately, and we were released to dig in to the buffet. Wow! This had to have been the most varied, and dare I say unusual, breakfast buffets I've ever been to! It was clearly perfect for the family who has a variety of picky eaters, for you had everything you could possibly want for breakfast, and then a variety of more lunch-type options for those who want something like that. Had my oldest niece been there, she would've loved it, as she hates breakfast foods.

Character breakfasts, as I may have mentioned before, was another topic I researched extensively on the DIS. Sherry E can attest to that! I'm glad DLR doesn't have as many options as WDW, because it was almost overwhelming as it was! To us, characters aren't that big of a priority since we've met them before and can meet them pretty much whenever here at WDW. But this was our special trip, and why not do a special meal with characters? The last one we did was back in 2007 at the Garden Grill in Epcot, and that was fun (expensive, but we had a CM coupon). So, my priorities were really that the food be good, if not great, with decent interaction with characters. Not too frequent that I can't finish my meal, but often enough that I'm not having to wait for them to stop by.

I was so happy with the choice to go with Goofy's. It was absolutely the best start to our Disney vacation and set the tone for the rest of the trip. Getting the earliest seating was also a very wise idea. The restaurant remained mostly empty save for a couple or so families. This made our trip to the buffet nice, and of course, we had the characters to ourselves for longer and more often. Goofy kept coming by and checked on us! The food was very good ... and yes, I had to try the peanut butter and jelly pizza! It was certainly interesting! I was a bit disappointed that the famed creme brulee french toast wasn't on the menu, though. And while I had read to stay away from the eggs, I tasted them anyway to get an informed opinion.

My opinion? Folks are right. Don't bother. I hate wet eggs

But! I had my favorite Mickey waffle (mini-sized, but that's ok) AND a Mickey pancake! Happy!

I had to get a picture of Goofy's creation

Now, I can be a little awkward around the characters. It's more like, what do I say? But I love playing with them, and I was on a roll when Goofy kept coming over to say hi and I asked him how things were going in the kitchen. I told him that I was there to "write an article reviewing his work for a magazine" and he promptly reacted with anxiety! This became the running gag for the rest of the meal. Every character we saw (and we saw 7 in total: Goofy, Baloo, Pluto, Chip, Dale, Aurora, and the Mad Hatter) had something to say about my review and Goofy's performance!

Our time with Dale was the most hilarious. Apparently, all the fur characters carry pens and "converse" with them using the paper tablecloths. When I asked Dale if he was helping Goofy, this was his reply:

He also added that it wouldn't matter what I wrote about Goofy, because "Goofy can't read." We about died laughing, and so did "Dale." I have never heard a fur character make any other noise other than the "kissing" sound. It just made it that much more hilarious that I was making the CM crack up, too!

Unfortunately I must stop here ... I've reached the 25 image limit (blast!) I shall continue on Tuesday, as I'm going to be AFK until then. (I'm actually doing a day at WDW on Monday, LOL! Myna has, for whatever reason, never seen Fantasmic. So, especially since we skipped it at DLR, we're planning to see it then, LOL).
OrcaPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:49 AM   #20
JH87
DIS Veteran

HAHA, I love the part about Dale at GK!

JH87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:21 AM   #21
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

I've met lots and lots of Dales at Goofy's over the years but it sounds like you got one who may have been a stand-up comedian in disguise (not to mention surprisingly articulate for a chipmunk)!

Your Dale was more amusing than any of the Dales who have moseyed up to my various tables. I think the funniest Dale I met drew a circle on my paper tablecloth and wrote "Chip" inside...and then drew a diagonal line through it, as if to say "No Chip"! But I think I like the comments your Dale scribbled down much better! How funny! Those Chipmunks are feisty!

I can't recall which of the chipmunks it was, but our very own DIS'er Belle Ella (Jessica) had an adorable experience with Chip or Dale on her first visit to Goofy's Kitchen. She can jump in here and tell the tale but, basically, she was cold and probably shivering while sitting at her table. Said chipmunk on duty noticed this and brought out a tablecloth (the real thing, not paper) for her to wrap around her shoulders! I think that is the cutest and sweetest thing ever!

About the eggs at Goofy's....you know, the eggs are something I eat every time I dine there, out of necessity. Literally, there has not been one meal I've had at GK that has not included eggs - because I need an obscene dose of protein in the morning to keep my blood sugar from going crazy, especially if I plan to have a long day in the parks. So whether the eggs are having a good day or a bad day, I eat 'em because I have to!

That said, there have definitely been random days scattered over the last couple of decades when the eggs tasted 'off' or weird. I can't explain the taste now, but I know I was thinking at the time, "Ew...what's wrong with these eggs?" There have been some batches I've seen that looked a bit too liquidy. Some were too mushy. Some batches are definitely better than others.

But when the chefs put out a good batch o' eggs, they are usually really good. In fact, the last time my friend and I ate there (December of last year), she actually went back for seconds and thirds of the eggs because they were particularly yummy that day. That was the first time I've ever seen her go back for more helpings of eggs and nothing else! So my assumption is that the egg issue (at any of the character meals, most likely) is hit and miss. Depending on who the chef is in the kitchen on any given day, maybe the quality can decline!

The Goofy's bacon, however, is almost always delicious!

I must say, considering where you were seated at Goofy's and the potential for weird lighting issues in that location, your photos have much better clarity and lighting than some I've seen. For some reason, I always hate the lighting in most Goofy's photos (and in many of the Minnie & Friends photos I've seen too), but yours came out sans weird lighting!

I'm looking forward to the next installment on Tuesday!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Old 07-17-2011, 03:05 PM   #22
poohbear2
Disney Think Formula is:
HE= #D X DV (Height of excitement level = Number of days left till your vacation multiplied by the number of days of your vacation)

Love your review so far. I am eager to read more since we will be heading to DL for the first time next Feb.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:31 PM   #23
Belle Ella
DIS Veteran

It was fun to read about your experience at Goofy's Kitchen. I have had such a blast each time I've eaten there - and Dale has usually been a big reason behind it! I always tend to get the most interaction out of 'him' than any other character and I love it. Heck, my favorite GK moment was when Dale brought me out a tablecloth to use as a coat since I left my sweater behind on accident and I get very, very, very cold when I eat. Fun times, fun times. I like to hear when other love GK. I'm a big supporter, just like Sherry.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:11 PM   #24
blabbermouth
DIS Veteran

Great TR so far. You're lucky living in the east and visiting the west, such an advantage for getting up early. Goofy's looked delicious and fun. I'm not a fan of scrambled eggs really in the first place, so typically buffet ones don't even get a second look from me.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:18 PM   #25
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle Ella View Post
It was fun to read about your experience at Goofy's Kitchen. I have had such a blast each time I've eaten there - and Dale has usually been a big reason behind it! I always tend to get the most interaction out of 'him' than any other character and I love it. Heck, my favorite GK moment was when Dale brought me out a tablecloth to use as a coat since I left my sweater behind on accident and I get very, very, very cold when I eat. Fun times, fun times. I like to hear when other love GK. I'm a big supporter, just like Sherry.
Jessica -

Okay, so it was Dale who brought you the tablecloth! I wasn't sure if you would see my explanation of your tablecloth experience in my previous post and answer the question of which chipmunk it was! I couldn't remember! But as I mentioned, that is an adorable story of how Dale wanted you to be warm! It still warms my heart (no pun intended) to this day!

Old 07-17-2011, 06:22 PM   #26
Belle Ella
DIS Veteran

Haha, no I hadn't read your reply Sherry - kind of doing a skimming thing today outside of the TR posts so I can try and comment on them all before I run out of time - but looks like I read your mind. It just means that Dale is all kinds of awesome and now we have another annecdote to prove it!
Old 07-17-2011, 07:27 PM   #27
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle Ella View Post
Haha, no I hadn't read your reply Sherry - kind of doing a skimming thing today outside of the TR posts so I can try and comment on them all before I run out of time - but looks like I read your mind. It just means that Dale is all kinds of awesome and now we have another annecdote to prove it!
You read my mind or somehow sensed that I mentioned you!

It seems that Dale is quickly becoming the breakout star of Goofy's Kitchen, stealing Goofy's thunder along the way. (I'm still laughing at the "I have no culinary skills" comment scribbled on OrcaPotter's tablecloth!)

Soon there will be throngs of groupies showing up for GK Dale, all sitting in a special Dale section of the restaurant! Is the Dale at Minnie & Friends nearly this popular and fun? I know Critter Breakfast Dale is not quite as playful.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:34 PM   #28
smithan
Earning My Ears

I was wondering if you ever got around to doing a report on the hotel?
Im supposed to stay there next month so im interested in all the info I can get.
smithan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:07 AM   #29
sophies*mom
Mouseketeer

Enjoying every little detail of your trip report and anxiously waiting for the next installment! I also appreciate that you are not really comparing WDW to DLR. Like "At WDW this is better and that is better" sort of thing. Though it is a shame you guys missed Fantasmic! while you were there since I've heard it's a little different. That is my all time favorite, too!

(DH) Eli -- (me) Elena
(DD) Sophie -- (DS) Parker

sophies*mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:04 AM   #30
PittypatBR
DIS Veteran

I was very excited to find your TR, because I too am quite familiar with WDW but am making my first trip to DL in October. So I am doing MY research. I am also flying into LAX, thanks to a direct flight at a decent price coming up about the time I got very tired of agonizing over fares. I will be there for MHP, so I am tickled about that. I am staying at the big Marriott, because I will be there for a teacher's conference and am just tagging on to satisfy my Disney love! So I feel like your TR will help me be prepared to get the most out of my trip. I went ahead and got a 6 day pass right before the prices went up. I may not use it all, but I want to be able to go down to the parks for at least a few hours after the conference finishes for the day. (And the difference in price was so small it seemed silly not to get more days.)
I am really enjoying the report, and look forward to the next installment and hearing about your first day in the parks.

First trip to DW June 1977, Dutch Inn with DH, DS8, DS6, DD4
July 1996, ASMovies; April 2002, ASMusic; June 2005, Coronado Springs;
May 5-12, 2007, Pop Century; May 30-June 6, 2010, Marriott Grande Vista;
First trip to DL Oct. 9-15, 2011 Anaheim Marriott

May 2007 Pre-trip and trip report: NO COMMANDO?? . . . .ARGHH! Can I do this?
PittypatBR is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: