Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families > DIS Dads
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2011, 02:46 PM   #91
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser

Quote:
Originally Posted by middlepat View Post
I'm sute that Montana DOT had a project on the books or something, they just forgot to register it with AAA.
A problem with the DOT causing problems for taxpayers! I've never heard of such a thing!

Quote:
Mosquitoes. Lots of them. And they were hungry. So I moved as quickly as I could and got everyone situated, but wouldn't you know a few of the vampire bugs decided to stay in the van. So for the next half hour or so all we heard from the back rows was "Mom, there's another one." SPLAT!
Sorry to hear about the bugs.
I'm even sorryier to find out that I read this entire entry about mosquitoes and didn't see one "man, that sucks" reference.

Quote:
When we got to the hotel the front of the van had a mean 5 o'clock shadow.
Even worse is when you van is hungover. I don't even talk to my van on Saturday morning before he's had his 2nd cup of coffee.

Quote:
If you look closely, you can see all (yes ALL) of the mail recipient's boxes that they serve (I think it was 20 total).
And I'll guarantee that you'll be the talk of the town for years to come.

"Hey, remember when that family from Chicago stopped and mailed some post cards?"
"Yup."
"That was cool."
"Yup."

Quote:
Unfortunately our little 40 mile detour although scenic, landed us in the middle of rush hour traffic in Calgary on the Wednesday before Canada Day.
Rush hour in Calgary? What's that - a heard of cattle and few randomly roaming elk?

Quote:
All in all, it wasn't too bad, we got through Calgary in about 45 minutes (South side to North side) and were once again on the open road.
Yeah, but what's the exchange rate? That's really like an hour and a half Canadian time, right?

Quote:
As I said before it was 85 degrees, well by the time we pulled off the Highway, it was 55!!!!
Welcome to Canada, eh?

Quote:
Fortunately the rain stopped for a while once we got to Grandma's and Grandad's house so that we could head inside and finally relax as the journey was done.
Always nice to get out of the van knowing you'll be staying for a few days!
Old 10-03-2011, 03:02 PM   #92
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Quote:
Furtunately we didn't quite make to plaid or I'd have a bit of explaining to do.
No explanation necessary. Well, maybe you'd have to explain how you got a non-Freezin Rafiki modified van to go that fast.

Quote:
I'm sute that Montana DOT had a project on the books or something, they just forgot to register it with AAA.
Montana has a DOT?

Quote:
Well, we finished up breakfast and headed on north. Today's destination was...

GRANDMA'S HOUSE!!!! (oh, and Granddad too)
Woohoo!

Quote:
I always knew there would be a line to get in. Why wouldn't there be? Its Canada!
I thought the traffic jam was caused by mounties riding down the highway.

Quote:
Wait.... D'oh!!!! Missed that turn back at Lethbridge for Hwy 2. So we pulled the U-turn and enjoyed the scenery for the last 40 miles for a second time. Just cause.
Do they have a DOT in Canada? Don't they put up highway signs?

Quote:
So we crawled though the Stampede City and every few minutes would point out to the girls, look out the left side, you can see the Calgary Tower and the Rockies. See that girls.
So, how long did this last before the groaning and eye rolling started in the back of the van?

Quote:
As I said before it was 85 degrees, well by the time we pulled off the Highway, it was 55!!!!
That actually probably felt pretty good!

Quote:
Up Next. A Canada Day BBQ and "Are those Dinosaurs in the woods?"
Canadian BBQ and dinosaurs... so in other words, the next update is going to be fictional?
afwdwfan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-03-2011, 03:50 PM   #93
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
So as we left Yellowstone we had a bit of a jaunt to get to our next hotel stop. (about 250 miles or so) So we were fortunate in the fact that we were in Montana, land of the "no posted speed limit durring daylight hours." Or something like that. So we engaged the hyperdrive and took it to Ludicrous Speed. Furtunately we didn't quite make to plaid or I'd have a bit of explaining to do.
Did anything happen when you hit 88 mph? I know I'm mixing my movie references here, but work with me.

Quote:
Anyways, our drive was fairly uneventful during the daylight hours, however, about twilight (with 150 miles to go) we hit a snag. The road we were routed to travel on was, well, no longer paved. I'm sute that Montana DOT had a project on the books or something, they just forgot to register it with AAA.
Geez, you had a perfectly good road. Who says it has to be paved? All of these high-quality roads around the rest of the country (such as in Delaware) must have turned you into a road snob.

I bet in other countries, they don't even put signs up to tell you where you're going.

Quote:
Mosquitoes. Lots of them. And they were hungry. So I moved as quickly as I could and got everyone situated, but wouldn't you know a few of the vampire bugs decided to stay in the van. So for the next half hour or so all we heard from the back rows was "Mom, there's another one." SPLAT!
Yuck. I know you're in Montana, but oddly enough, this reminds me of a vacation my family took to the Everglades.

Quote:
I turned to Erika and said (fully knowing the answer) "Is it raining outside dear?" Um, no. Not rain. Bugs. Lots and lots of bugs meeting a van going somewhere around 65 MPH (that 65 was for Fed's sake, it was really closer to 90) When we got to the hotel the front of the van had a mean 5 o'clock shadow.
Were they locusts? Did you find any lamb's blood to paint over your door that night?

Quote:
Given that this was one of the cheapest rates we had, very happy! Solid B+ rating for Hampton Inn.
Decent room, cheap rate, and free breakfast always makes for a winner.

Quote:
GRANDMA'S HOUSE!!!! (oh, and Granddad too)
So even when you're older, Dad is still the low man on the totem pole? Now I have nothing to look forward to.

Quote:
If you look closely, you can see all (yes ALL) of the mail recipient's boxes that they serve (I think it was 20 total).
Exhibit A for why the Postal Service is losing money.

Quote:
I always knew there would be a line to get in. Why wouldn't there be? Its Canada!
I heard Canada Day is also known as Free Beer Day. Did that have something to do with it?

Quote:
We continued on toward Lethbridge and followed the signs for Hwy 2. I thought we were making really good time, until I saw a sign that said Fernie, 60 km. Um, Fernie is in BC, why would it only be 60 km away? Wait.... D'oh!!!! Missed that turn back at Lethbridge for Hwy 2. So we pulled the U-turn and enjoyed the scenery for the last 40 miles for a second time. Just cause.
See? I tried to warn you.

Quote:
Big, nasty, thunderstorm. This is not atypical during the summer to have these big rainstorms in the middle of the afternoon. They typically blast for 30 minutes or so, then clear out. Well this one was a little different. It hung. And it was brutal. As we inched along the highway we watched the temperature plummet. As I said before it was 85 degrees, well by the time we pulled off the Highway, it was 55!!!!
Lamb's blood, I'm tellin' ya.

Quote:
Up Next. A Canada Day BBQ and "Are those Dinosaurs in the woods?"
No, it's just that giant beaver balloon from the Olympics.
Captain_Oblivious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 03:53 PM   #94
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
A problem with the DOT causing problems for taxpayers! I've never heard of such a thing!
It was a road. They drove on it. They got where they wanted to go. Where's the problem?

Quote:
Yeah, but what's the exchange rate? That's really like an hour and a half Canadian time, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
See, you learn to appreciate us when we're not there.
Captain_Oblivious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:01 PM   #95
middlepat
Dis Dad Member #325

Quote:
You understand my surprise then.

Quote:
Sorry to hear about the bugs.
I'm even sorryier to find out that I read this entire entry about mosquitoes and didn't see one "man, that sucks" reference.
Barry, I knew I could count on you.

Quote:
Even worse is when you van is hungover. I don't even talk to my van on Saturday morning before he's had his 2nd cup of coffee.

Quote:
And I'll guarantee that you'll be the talk of the town for years to come.

"Hey, remember when that family from Chicago stopped and mailed some post cards?"
"Yup."
"That was cool."
"Yup."
Sounds like the dialogue from a DisDad Meetup.

Quote:
Rush hour in Calgary? What's that - a heard of cattle and few randomly roaming elk?
No, in Calgary they have horse trailers, cattle cars and oil rigs. It can cause quite a mess if there ever is a pile up.

Quote:
I think you double it and add 30. So that would be like 2 hours or something.

Quote:
Welcome to Canada, eh?
Take off Eh!

Quote:
Always nice to get out of the van knowing you'll be staying for a few days!

Quote:
No explanation necessary. Well, maybe you'd have to explain how you got a non-Freezin Rafiki modified van to go that fast.
Remember, I've actually met the frozen monkey a couple of times. Maybe he modified something, maybe he didn't.

Quote:
Montana has a DOT?
They do. Just not nearly as famous as those DeDOT guys. They get all the press.

Quote:
I thought the traffic jam was caused by mounties riding down the highway.
No way, the mounties are too polite. They always let the other guy go ahead.

Quote:
Signs, signs? We don't need no stinkin' signs.

Quote:
So, how long did this last before the groaning and eye rolling started in the back of the van?
I don't know what you're talking about Andy. They were begging for more, at least that what I remember.

Quote:
That actually probably felt pretty good!
It didn't bother me too much, but Erika was shall we say... put off by the temp.

Quote:
Canadian BBQ and dinosaurs... so in other words, the next update is going to be fictional?
I did not say Canadian BBQ, that would be fictional. I said a BBQ in Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Did anything happen when you hit 88 mph? I know I'm mixing my movie references here, but work with me.
We saw some serious splat. (Thanks for that setup there Capt!)

Quote:
Geez, you had a perfectly good road. Who says it has to be paved? All of these high-quality roads around the rest of the country (such as in Delaware) must have turned you into a road snob.
Actually even though it wasn't paved it still was better than 90% of the Chicago roads after the winter thaw and exposure of all the pot holes caused by our snow removal folks.

Quote:
I bet in other countries, they don't even put signs up to tell you where you're going.
Signs, signs? We don't need no stinkin' signs.
(is it wrong to quote yourself in the same multi-quote )

Quote:
Yuck. I know you're in Montana, but oddly enough, this reminds me of a vacation my family took to the Everglades.
Yeah it was.... memorable....

Quote:
Were they locusts? Did you find any lamb's blood to paint over your door that night?
Sorry, they were fresh out at the local 7-11. Maybe I should have tried the Circle K.

Quote:
Decent room, cheap rate, and free breakfast always makes for a winner.
(2 thumbs up!)

Quote:
So even when you're older, Dad is still the low man on the totem pole? Now I have nothing to look forward to.
Well, you have your looks to fall back on..... yeah you got nothing.

Quote:
Exhibit A for why the Postal Service is losing money.
I also think that Elvis was the postmaster.

Quote:
I heard Canada Day is also known as Free Beer Day. Did that have something to do with it?
Free Beer in Canada? Now that is blasphemous. Canadian Beer should never be given away for free.

Quote:
See? I tried to warn you.
I didn't know you could predict the future. Got next week's lotto numbers handy too?

Quote:
Lamb's blood, I'm tellin' ya.
Yeah, I gotta put some of that in the emergency kit for next trip.

Quote:
No, it's just that giant beaver balloon from the Olympics.
The beaver is a proud and noble animal.

Quote:
It was a road. They drove on it. They got where they wanted to go. Where's the problem?
Now I understand the DOT logic base.

Quote:
See, you learn to appreciate us when we're not there.
You're right, when I need to rest on a shovel, I like knowing my local DOT is close by.

Me (41) DW (29+) DD (11) DD (10) DD (7)
Nov 01 ASMo, Sept 05 WL, Jan 07 POFQ, Nov 09 Poly May 13 Off-Site (Windsor Hills)
middlepat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:09 PM   #96
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Great update. Too bad about those nasty mosquitos and the van being covered with bugs--YUCK! But glad you reached your destination safely and were able to settle in.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:23 PM   #97
middlepat
Dis Dad Member #325

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Great update. Too bad about those nasty mosquitos and the van being covered with bugs--YUCK! But glad you reached your destination safely and were able to settle in.
Thanks Kathy. Hope you are enjoying your trip.

Me (41) DW (29+) DD (11) DD (10) DD (7)
Nov 01 ASMo, Sept 05 WL, Jan 07 POFQ, Nov 09 Poly May 13 Off-Site (Windsor Hills)
middlepat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:26 PM   #98
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks Kathy. Hope you are enjoying your trip.
We are, but sad that tomorrow is our last full day. I hope to start my TR on Thursday or Friday. We MIGHT have a new favorite resort.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:35 PM   #99
LisaKeys
Mouseketeer

I'm so glad I stumbled upon this TR from another Disney TR! It's a nice, refreshing sidetrip away from WDW.

I read all of your pages, and since the NW is a part of our country that I have never been able to visit, I am thoroughly enjoying the virtual trip.

Looking forward to visiting the grandparents.

ps - only thing worse than massive amounts of bugs hitting your vehicle, is trying to get the glued carcasses off!

Someone please stop the Mango, Garlic and DxDP!!! Jan 10-23, 2011

July 1973 - MK one day/off site; November 1991 - WDW Villa's; February 1993 WDW off site; November 1999 - WDW offsite; December 2001 - WDW BWLBV-DTD; Jan 10-23, 2011 - Coronado Springs Resort and Best Western DTD
LisaKeys is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: