Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2011, 09:56 PM   #1
cpster
Mouseketeer

Urgent help needed -- Grand Californian in two weeks!

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the new thread, but I'm doing the happy dance right now. Mom and sis have agreed to take care of our dog which means we can take DD down to Disneyland the last week of July. We are going to stay at the Grand Californian in some sort of view room. I'd like to request a room to hopefully see WOC at night from the room

Disers...can you help identify which rooms to request? I can't quite tell from the maps as I haven't been to Disneyland in over 10 years!

I looked at the map here: http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=450

Is the villa wing the one to go for? Are there any normal hotel rooms in that wing?

Thanks!
cpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:13 PM   #2
LisainCalifornia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpster View Post
Hi everyone,

Sorry for the new thread, but I'm doing the happy dance right now. Mom and sis have agreed to take care of our dog which means we can take DD down to Disneyland the last week of July. We are going to stay at the Grand Californian in some sort of view room. I'd like to request a room to hopefully see WOC at night from the room

Disers...can you help identify which rooms to request? I can't quite tell from the maps as I haven't been to Disneyland in over 10 years!

I looked at the map here: http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=450

Is the villa wing the one to go for? Are there any normal hotel rooms in that wing?

Thanks!
As far as I know, you can only see WOC from the villas (DVC), not the regular hotel rooms (someone correct me if I am wrong). You can get a very nice view of WOC from Paradise Pier rooms, though (upper theme park views). We stayed at the GC a few weeks ago and had a downtown disney view, which we really liked. We saw the fireworks perfectly from our fifth floor room.
LisainCalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-12-2011, 10:37 PM   #3
3card
Earning My Ears

That's correct, the back side of the VGC wing faces CA and you get a decent view from some of the 5th floor rooms.
3card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:04 AM   #4
cpster
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisainCalifornia View Post
As far as I know, you can only see WOC from the villas (DVC), not the regular hotel rooms (someone correct me if I am wrong). You can get a very nice view of WOC from Paradise Pier rooms, though (upper theme park views). We stayed at the GC a few weeks ago and had a downtown disney view, which we really liked. We saw the fireworks perfectly from our fifth floor room.
Sounds like the best we can do is fireworks view then. May I ask what room you were in? Thanks!
Old 07-13-2011, 12:41 AM   #5
LisainCalifornia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpster View Post
Sounds like the best we can do is fireworks view then. May I ask what room you were in? Thanks!
Yes--I was in room 5155. We had a bunk bed room, but the rooms on either side of us were not bunk bed rooms and they had the same view. I paid for the downtown disney view (I have never had much luck requesting an upgrade at the Grand Californian--if I book a standard room, then that is what we get--so this time I paid for the view) and requested a 5th floor room (highest floor) with bunk beds.

Here is a link to a post that I wrote about our recent stay (with pictures)
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....96588&page=153
LisainCalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:54 AM   #6
nunzia
You can't top pigs with pigs, but you CAN top Toys with Toys

As a hotel guest you can acess the WOC viewing area on the 6th floor of the villas wing and see a pretty nice view of the show (with a not great view of the projections). The music is piped in and there are restrooms. Really nice alternative.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:40 PM   #7
blackjackdelta
Uncle had an "in" with Walt
I love those rainy days with the decreased crowds

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunzia View Post
As a hotel guest you can acess the WOC viewing area on the 6th floor of the villas wing and see a pretty nice view of the show (with a not great view of the projections). The music is piped in and there are restrooms. Really nice alternative.
Last year it was packed most of the time, but a reasonalble view without the projections.

Jack
blackjackdelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:44 PM   #8
cpster
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the replies everyone. Can you comment on which block of rooms will provide a better view of the fireworks?

135-165
419-449
333-355
402-414
424-450

I'm so excited...cashed in mileage on AA for most of the stay so we are all booked. Am hoping to fax a letter over with our requests.

Thanks for your help!
Old 07-15-2011, 11:25 PM   #9
ParkHopper1
Mouseketeer

Yes there are standard "Theme Park View" rooms that you can see WOC from, just a few though. Can't remember what room # I had, but it was on the 5th floor. They told me at the front desk that there was no WOC view...but I think that was just their default answer. We has a choice between view of Soarin or Paradise Bay...of course we chose the latter and had a great view of WOC, although it was a hike to the room.

There are no guarantees on any room, but you need to book a "theme park view" then if you request Paradise Bay View on the 5th Floor, you will have the best shot of a WOC view. 4th floor looks like it would have had a decent view, 3rd and below, probably not.
ParkHopper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:32 PM   #10
Lil' Grumpy
Lil' Grumpy is really a Big Sweetie

darn it...my lost camera had pictures of our room view. we
were only on the third floor but our view was picture
prefect.

don't know the number, but just off the elevator- std.
room.

good luck~ for the most room.

ps, if not you can go to the viewing room on the 6th floor.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: