Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2011, 10:23 AM   #1
ktschultz1
Earning My Ears

What age does the princess fascination wear off?

Hi All-
For those with DDs...at what age did the excitement for the princesses (or any characters) start to dwindle? I am trying to decide between a trip in Jan 2012 when DD will be almost 5 or waiting a year. Last trip was at almost 3 and she loved the character meals and I want to take the next trip before that excitement wears off. Thanks for any opinions!
ktschultz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:27 AM   #2
MikeandReneePlus5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktschultz1 View Post
Hi All-
For those with DDs...at what age did the excitement for the princesses (or any characters) start to dwindle? I am trying to decide between a trip in Jan 2012 when DD will be almost 5 or waiting a year. Last trip was at almost 3 and she loved the character meals and I want to take the next trip before that excitement wears off. Thanks for any opinions!
My kids all love the characters still and they are now 16,13,12,10,8.

And we parents at 42 and 45 do also.

If you are "into it", it lasts a lifetime really.

But if your question is more when do kids stop believeing in fairy tales sorta thing I would say the difference between 5 years old and 6 years old is negligable.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-11-2011, 10:30 AM   #3
DisneyWorldForever
Earning My Ears

It really all depends on the person. My two daughters (12 & 10) still love the characters & character meals. I think it will be fine if you wait a year.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:33 AM   #4
mdsd8700
It's kind of fun to do the impossible

I am sure that for everyone is varies, depending on the child. My DD is now 14 but I will say that she had a good appreciation for the princess's until she was 10 and then it slowly started to dwindle. By the time she was 12 she was uninterested for the most part, at 14 I have to beg her to take a picture with any of the characters (which I do and she obliges ). Although I do know teenagers who still love the characters, again it just depends.

As for age 5 or 6, I would say both are a great ages for character interaction, especially a girl with the princesses. My daughter was over the moon with them at that time.

Whatever you decide, have a wonderful trip and enjoy!

All Who Come To This Happy Place Welcome,
mdsd8700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:41 AM   #5
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

It depends on the child. My daughter grew out of Princesses sometime between our trip in 2006 (9) and 2009 (12).

In fact, myself, DW, DD13, and DS10 were at Chef Mickey's last year, looked around at the crowd and the loud, obnoxious, little children, and all came to the conclusion that we were pretty much done with character meals in general.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:48 AM   #6
nchulka
it was funny when the creepy guys would follow close to them and then pull their chainsaws

Pretty much when they start school. Princess backpacks (along with Dora, Bob the Builder etc.) will get you made fun of even in kindergarden. Around here all those things are considered "baby" and for pre-schoolers only. The fairies last a bit longer, maybe 1st-2nd grade. My kids loved the character meals and meeting the characters at Disney at 7 & 8 except for the princesses/fairies. It seemed a bit strange to me that even Pooh and friends were okay (we ate at the Crystal Palace) but princesses/fairies were totally uncool!
Old 07-11-2011, 10:49 AM   #7
AristocaticMarie
Earning My Ears

For my one DD who is very much a girly girl and loved the princesses, I would say it happened around age 10. She still has her favorite but as far as dress-up and the like, it's kind of over. It was a sad day for Momma.
AristocaticMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:52 AM   #8
sydneysmom
Always dreaming about Cpt Jack Sparrow

I also think it depends on your child.... we took our DD for the first time last year. She was 4 1/2. She was infatuated with the characters and the princesses. She wore her princess dresses, got EVERYONE'S autograph, and just walked around with her eyes the size of dinner plates. The first day we were there, we went to MK in the afternoon, she saw Jessie and ran over and hugged her! it was hilarious. But at all the princess meals that we went to, she just got so overwhelmed with excitement and couldn't wait for the princesses to come to our table. It was pure joy.

I would doubt it's going to wear off when she's 5. She'll probably enjoy it more because she knows all the characters from the movies and stuff. That's what happened in our case.... we were going to go when she was 3, but we had to postpone our trip. We were worried that she'd have outgrown it by then (maybe). It was the TOTAL opposite. She was the happiest kid alive that week. I bet you'll see that she's going to be more interactive and enjoy it even more !!!

2010 : Grand Floridian and MNSSHP
2013 : Grand Floridian and DH's birthday!
sydneysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:03 AM   #9
Amy162
Mouseketeer

My girls (now 9 and 6.5) have pretty much lost interest in meeting the princesses, but still like the other characters. They still like some princess stuff but just don't want to meet them. They like meeting characters that we haven't met, so we will be meeting rapunzel on our next trip, but the only character meal we are doing is Ohana breakfast (my 6 y/o still loves stitch and we all love Mickey!)
I don't think we saw a difference up until out last trip when they were 5 and 8. And my 6 year old would probably still have more interest if she wasn't trying to be so much like her older sister!
I think you will be fine going at either 5 or 6!

Nov 98-1st Anniversary Trip May 07-1st Family Trip May 09-Very WET Disney Vacation Nov 09-12th Anniversary & MVMCP Oct 10-MNSSHP Aug 11-SURPRISE, We're going to Disney! Jan 12 Disney Dream Apr 13 Birthday Trip!!
Amy162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:04 AM   #10
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

For my DD it was 8 years old.

Then she got into the fairies. Now at 11 she still likes the fairies. She is disappointed she'll probably never get to meet Silvermist. We tried and tried (those lines were sooooo awful too!) but never met Silvermist or Fawn.

Connie

WDW: 15 family trips, 8 solo trips - resorts stayed at: AKL, BWI, CR, WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (5) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:05 AM   #11
huffjoann
DIS Veteran

at 6 and a few months we are still going princess strong here,, I anticipate we will also be next year as well. She has requested a princess birthday party for her 7th, we shall see what she is thinking when we get closer.

Pop Century 6/10; All Star Movies 6/11; off property 11/11; Dream 5/24/12 3 night;
Dream 5/26/13 4 night; Magic TBA
huffjoann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:11 AM   #12
PIRATEGIRL007
DIS Cast Member
OMG! I am about to jump up and down!
real technical words, aren't they!

For our DD it was gone by 7ish and completely by 8. She is a 'tomboy' of sorts likes to play softball and other sports and was never really into dolls.

Of course though just last week I mentioned a friend's DD just got back and did BBB and loved it and DD9 pipes up with I want to do that, that would be the best thing ever. I said well last year at your birthday in March when you opened your Ariel doll you said you were 'over princesses and grown up now' so we didn't bother to try to make an appoitnement in May. She said well now I'm not over it. I want to do it.

Arggghhh and parents of tweens/teens/twentysomethings, I have how many more years of this indecisiveness and drama ahead of me?
PIRATEGIRL007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:20 AM   #13
ducky_love
Saving the world one tourist at a time.

I'll let you know when I hit that age. So far, so good!
FIRST DLP: November 2013!!!
ducky_love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:24 AM   #14
StitchandPooh'sMom
Now if only I could think of something witty to say . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchulka View Post
Pretty much when they start school. Princess backpacks (along with Dora, Bob the Builder etc.) will get you made fun of even in kindergarden. Around here all those things are considered "baby" and for pre-schoolers only. The fairies last a bit longer, maybe 1st-2nd grade. My kids loved the character meals and meeting the characters at Disney at 7 & 8 except for the princesses/fairies. It seemed a bit strange to me that even Pooh and friends were okay (we ate at the Crystal Palace) but princesses/fairies were totally uncool!
This was our experience as well. DD8 has not been into the princesses since about kindergarten or first grade (definitely no Dora in elementary school!). She is heading into third and still likes the fairies, but some of her friends think they are babyish. DD8 still loves Pooh and defends him from anyone who suggests he is just for little kids!
StitchandPooh'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:26 AM   #15
MichelleVW
I call them "the people that live in my house"

My girls are 18 and 20 and still want to meet the Princesses.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: