Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2011, 10:20 AM   #1
*~PrincessBelle~*
DIS Veteran

The sweltering heat of summer or crazy new year's crowds??

Well it looks like our fall anniversary/food& wine trip may now have to be cancelled due to DH not being able to get enough time off work for Disney and a hunting trip that he's already committed too...so yup guess which trip gets the axe...Disney!

Without me going off and ranting about that side of the problem im faced with im trying to decide a new time for us to go...I had suggested sometime in August and DH wants to go over New Years. Both times of year have crowds (New Years probably more so than summer I would expect) and both times come with questionable weather ..extreme heat & humidity vs potential freezing cold (thinking back to my trip in January 2010 where I had to wear a winter jacket and hats/mits to the parks)... although im sure nothing beats rining in the New Year at the Magic Kingdom...im just torn and dont know which one to pick... the other thing that's tough for me to swallow is the cost that time of year...flights, hotels, food etc everything costs twice as much ..but it could be a nice break from our cold Canadian winters.... another thing I should mention is that this time around we probably wont spend much time in the parks...just relaxing at the resort with maybe a day in Epcot...and a day in MK (if we were to spend New Year's there)....

if the choice was up to you which would you pick? a short trip in August or a short trip over New Years? If it helps the potential dates for both trips would be August 12-16 or December 29-January 2
*~PrincessBelle~* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:24 AM   #2
HelenParr
DIS Veteran

I would choose August. It is steaming hot and can be crowded, but at least you know what you're getting. End of December can be really cold -- which I find unfun for waterparks/pools, or even water rides.

I also find traveling around major holidays a drag.

Good luck with your choice!
HelenParr is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-11-2011, 10:35 AM   #3
DisneyBamaFan
Alabama - 2009 National Champions

I would never go over the Christmas/New Years break. It isn't crowded then - it is insane.
DisneyBamaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:26 AM   #4
mdsd8700
It's kind of fun to do the impossible

Sorry to hear that you have to cancel your trip , I am sure that was disappointing! However it does appear you are still going to be able to make a WDW trip and that is great!

Well we have never been in August but we have be many times in June and almost as many time times in late December, early January. You have been before in January so you know the weather can be iffy. We went once in December and it was actually 30 degrees while walking around EPCOT, we were freezing! However the rest of the trip the weather was nice. However August can be so hot that you cannot enjoy being outside either. I would take into cosideration which you can tolerate more, the heat or possible cold. Some people can do well with one but not the other. Personally I love the heat and don't have a problem with it. However I am cold as soon as it hits 60 degrees. As well the crowds will be more in late December/NYE, which we really don't mind as we are RD people. However if you aren't spending much time in the parks that might not be as big a factor.

Not sure if you have ever been to WDW around the Holiday's, if you haven't then I vote hands down for going at NYE. We have done NYE in the past although we purposely choose not to be in the parks at night due to the crowds but did spend 1/2 day at EPCOT. In my opinion there is nothing as magical as Disney decked out for Christmas. It is truly lovely. The decorations will still be up, although they will start to come down after the the 1st. Agree that it is a much more expensive time to travel as you mentioned that is also something to consider.

As far as not really going into the parks I think this works for either time frame. Of course you will most likely not be able to swim with the NY trip but in August it will be extemely hot so you may not want to spend much time laying by the pool anyway. There is always enough other stuff to do in Disney that non park days are always enjoyable.

So in short, if you haven't been around the Holiday's I say go to experience that. If you have been around the holiday's August may be better as you can have a WDW vacation at less of a price and with less crowds as well.

Either way I know your trip will be awesome! Enjoy!

All Who Come To This Happy Place Welcome,
mdsd8700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:49 AM   #5
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

My view.
There are strategies that you can employ to deal with and minimize the impacts of heat. There are no strategies that you can employ to deal with and minimize the impacts of 'full-to-capacity' crowds. I'll take a 20 minute wait in 95 degree heat over a 75 minute wait in 65 degree temperatures. (But if you really don't think you will do much at the parks, this may not be that big of a factor.) I'll take walking in to my ADR hot and sweaty over not getting any ADRs at all. I think you get the picture. I can usually make the heat disappear. I cannot make a quarter of a million people disappear.
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:56 AM   #6
tndisneyfan
DIS Veteran

I would choose the August trip. The New Year trip will be so crowded. We went Dec 18-23 in '09. The first day was good but the second day the crowds start rolling in. Crowds that someone who usually goes in May/June had a hard time dealing with. New Years will be even worse. Plus I just didn't like being at WDW in the cold. I didn't like walking around wearing jeans and a coat. A thin coat, but still a coat.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:06 PM   #7
trekker93
DIS Veteran

Smile It is a tough call!

The heat of the summer versus the crowds of the winter! We have chosen to go down in August once before and it was so hot it was like walking on the sun! Never again! Now we go down at the end of Sept to October to avoid the high heat. We still have to pace ourselves in the fall heat but it is more enjoyable with fewer crowds and less lines.

1978(offsite),1984offsite,1990(DixieLandings),2004 ,2005,2006-off site,2007(POP),2008(POP),2009(POP),2010(Sept)-Pop Century,2011Sept.POPCentury,All Star Music - July 2012, Sept2012 POP, May 2013-POP,Sept2013 - POP,Sept.2014-POP
Next TRIP:POP Century - Oct. 2015
trekker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:07 PM   #8
Dizneefamily+4
Wish I could live in Cinderella's Castle!

We always go to Disney in the summer (dh is a teacher), and typically in August. We LOVE it - every darn hot, humid crowded day! Friends of ours go during Christmas break and it boggles my mind every time to see their pics with all of them wearing jeans and winter coats. I can't imagine going to Disney and not sweating my ears off, and not wearing shorts and sandals! Do Splash Mountain & Kali River Rapids even run in the winter? I don't even know!

While I'm sure it would be fabulous to ring in the New Year at WDW, my vote is August. And last summer, we went during the timeframe you're proposing and Florida schools were back in session, so it wasn't AS crowded as earlier in the summer (don't get me wrong, it was still a LOT of people!)
'10 - POR/WL
Aug. '11 - POLY
Aug. '12 - POFQ
Aug. '13 - POLY
Dizneefamily+4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:13 PM   #9
kakiegirl
DIS Veteran

I would pick August easy. Yes it will be hot and there will be afternoon showers but you can deal with and work around that. Also, I know it is still crowded but many schools in the South go back the beginning of August so that may help crowds some and the crowds will be nothing like the week after Christmas. Having been the week after Christmas, you just can't described the crowds unless you have been there it is wall to wall people, on new years eve a little after lunch there was actually a line down the street to get in the Main Street Bakery. Also, the week after Christmas you will be paying the highest rack rate they charge for your room if you stay on site.
kakiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:14 PM   #10
nessz79
DIS Veteran

Definitely August. Is it hot? You betcha. But the crowds won't be nearly as bad and you can get out of the heat often at WDW.

I haven't been over NY's, but I've seen pictures and it is scary! We have been right before Christmas (leaving a couple days before the official day) and it was pretty crowded then. DH and I decided not to do that again. Now imagine, NYE's is even worse.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:55 PM   #11
*~PrincessBelle~*
DIS Veteran

thanks to everyone for their opinions...seems to me that the overall concensous is for August...

I do agree that I can tolerate the heat more than the cold...when I was there in January 2010 it felt soooo wrong weating a winter coat around the parks...it really didnt make the trip as enjoyable ... also I think because we will take a much slower pace this time around I think we could tolerate laying in the pool, maybe mini golf, fishing etc...whereas I dont think im going to want to go mini golfing or swimming when i have to wear a parka! LOL I know the weather can be nice at NYE but there is no guarantee...hmmm..thanks again ...i will run all these points by DH and see what he thinks!

Thanks!!
*~PrincessBelle~* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:58 PM   #12
nytimez
Nihilist

I hate the heat. But I'd pick August over X-mas/NYE every single time.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:29 PM   #13
Always Dream
Mouseketeer

From personal experience I will say that ringing in the New Year at the MK sounds fun, but is not. On my first trip to the World I spent a good 1.5 hours standing shoulder to shoulder somewhere near the hub waiting for fireworks, of which my view was 50% blocked by a tree. I arrived at the MK that day about 9:30 pm and stayed till close but I don't think I managed to get a single ride/attraction in other than the fireworks. That being said, if you show up at rope drop Jan 1, etc you can do everything you want.

I've actually heard that the end of August is not too bad crowd-wise, so maybe that would be better if you're not a morning person?
Always Dream is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: