Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2011, 12:16 PM   #1
PrincessLuce
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 13

How do DCL Transfers Handle Luggage?

When using Disney transfers to the port, it is my understanding that you call a phone number the night prior to your departure for the port and they will let you know how your luggage will be handled. What are the various possibilities?

There will be 8 of us travelling and the other option is booking a limo. It would be cheaper than Disney transfers, but would 8 people's luggage fit in a limo?

Just trying to decide what the best option is.
PrincessLuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:47 PM   #2
CruznLexi
DIS Veteran
 
CruznLexi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,153

If you are booked with DCL transfers they have a set time for pick up. In Jan we were picked up from AKL at 1130. Luggage had to be picked up at 8am.
CruznLexi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-11-2011, 01:51 PM   #3
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled
 
jdb in AZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6,968

Call the limo company. They'll send more than one car if necessary. Or they can send a large van pulling a luggage trailer. Interview two or three companies and explore your options.
jdb in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:28 PM   #4
Mama Lo
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 169

I'm looking forward to the answer too!

I am in the same exact situation, there are 8 of us traveling.

I am leaning towards a car service, it will be just us and we can stop on the if we want.

My only concern is handling our own luggage but surely we will get dropped out near the pier. Even paying someone to help move the luggage in addition won't make it more expensive then 8 x $69 = $522 it would cost to take the transfers.

I was also considering a rental car since we will be spending a night at WDW too.

I am looking forward to hearing any opinions.
__________________
Mama Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:40 PM   #5
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises
 
mmouse37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Too far from the Magic!!
Posts: 27,352

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessLuce View Post
When using Disney transfers to the port, it is my understanding that you call a phone number the night prior to your departure for the port and they will let you know how your luggage will be handled. What are the various possibilities?

There will be 8 of us travelling and the other option is booking a limo. It would be cheaper than Disney transfers, but would 8 people's luggage fit in a limo?

Just trying to decide what the best option is.
Never heard the cell phone scenario.....from WDW the DCL buses do have set pick up times as mentioned. Upon check in let the desk know you are taking DCL transfers to the cruise and they should provide instructions on where to meet the bus and and at what time. Luggage is usually pick up from your room about 8:00 am.

Renting a limo or van would be much cheaper than the DCL transfers. We have booked 12 passenger vans from Budget and Thrifty and all split the cost .

The rental companies by the port are Avis, Budget, Hertz, Thrifty/Dollar and Enterprise.



MJ
__________________
31 DCL Cruises and Counting!
Disney Magic - 19 times - Official Maiden Voyage July 30, 1998, Re-imagined Magic October 27, 2013
Disney Wonder - 5 times
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times


Last edited by mmouse37; 07-11-2011 at 02:45 PM.
mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:11 PM   #6
PrincessLuce
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 13

Thank you for the replies. My main concern is the luggage. I called Florida Tours and they said the only way all 8 of us could be accomodated would be in a van.

So if we use Disney transportation, the luggage will go straight from our room at Old Key West into our staterooms and then from our staterooms into our rooms at Beach Club Villas? Not having to deal with the luggage would pretty much be worth the extra price to me.
PrincessLuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:07 PM   #7
Donald_Quackers
Quacktastic!
 
Donald_Quackers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,401

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessLuce View Post
Thank you for the replies. My main concern is the luggage. I called Florida Tours and they said the only way all 8 of us could be accomodated would be in a van.

So if we use Disney transportation, the luggage will go straight from our room at Old Key West into our staterooms and then from our staterooms into our rooms at Beach Club Villas? Not having to deal with the luggage would pretty much be worth the extra price to me.
The last time I sailed on the Magic December 2010, we had to pick up our luggage from the customs hall and take it to the bus, but had a porter help. Don't know if that's changed or not.
__________________

Apr '12 -- Disney Fantasy 7 Nights
Dec '10 -- Disney Magic 7 Nights/4 nights @ POFQ
Dec '08 -- Disney Wonder 4 Nights/2 nights @ Pop Cent. / Dec '07 -- Coronado Springs
Dec '04, '05 / Oct '03 -- Off Site/Vacation Home
Sleep Apnea diagnosed June 2012
Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!
Donald_Quackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:10 PM   #8
smootenloopers
Works to Support Cruise Habit
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 288

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessLuce View Post
Thank you for the replies. My main concern is the luggage. I called Florida Tours and they said the only way all 8 of us could be accomodated would be in a van.

So if we use Disney transportation, the luggage will go straight from our room at Old Key West into our staterooms and then from our staterooms into our rooms at Beach Club Villas? Not having to deal with the luggage would pretty much be worth the extra price to me.
Almost. It will go straight from Old Key West to your stateroom. They'll take it over to the port by truck. On the last night of your cruise, you will get information letting you know when you need to have your luggage out that evening. The next time you'll see it is in the customs hall where you will retrieve it (there are porters available), go through customs and then out to the bus/van that will take you to Beach Club Villas. Your luggage will ride in the same vehicle to BCV.
__________________
Tammy
smootenloopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:48 PM   #9
PrincessLuce
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 13

Wonderful, thanks to everyone for the information! Is there any benefit to getting to the port before when the Disney buses would get there? If they pick us up at 11:30, we'll get there around 1:30, right? Is that an okay time to arrive?
PrincessLuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:26 PM   #10
SuzanneSLO
DIS Veteran
 
SuzanneSLO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA, USA
Posts: 3,217

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessLuce View Post
Wonderful, thanks to everyone for the information! Is there any benefit to getting to the port before when the Disney buses would get there? If they pick us up at 11:30, we'll get there around 1:30, right? Is that an okay time to arrive?
For our May cruise, We left the Boardwalk at Noon and arrived at the Port a little after 1 pm. We were not on the ship until 2:30. We were glad we had eaten lunch at the resort before we boarded the bus. -- Suzanne
SuzanneSLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:10 AM   #11
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled
 
jdb in AZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6,968

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzanneSLO View Post
For our May cruise, We left the Boardwalk at Noon and arrived at the Port a little after 1 pm. We were not on the ship until 2:30. We were glad we had eaten lunch at the resort before we boarded the bus. -- Suzanne
Were you on the Dream? When we boarded the classic ships in the afternoon they didn't take nearly that long.
jdb in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:42 AM   #12
SuzanneSLO
DIS Veteran
 
SuzanneSLO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA, USA
Posts: 3,217

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ View Post
Were you on the Dream? When we boarded the classic ships in the afternoon they didn't take nearly that long.
Yes, we were on the Dream. It took us about 25 minutes to go through security and get our KTTW. We were given boarding number 26 and they were calling 20. About 30 minutes later they called all remaining boarding numbers (up to 23 had been called) and we waited another 20 minutes to get through the cattle chute onto the ship. Horrible experience but no problems with crowds for the rest of the trip. -- Suzanne
SuzanneSLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.