Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which is scarier- DINOSAUR! or Malestrom?
DINOSAUR! 142 97.93%
Malestrom 3 2.07%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-10-2011, 05:02 PM   #1
disneygal6568
making dreams come true

DINOSAUR! and Malestrom????

Are DINOSAUR! at AK and Malestrom at EPCOT's Norway really that scary???? I have 12 yr old who rode the RNRC for the first time in august (but not a fan of noise, believe it or not) and a 10 yr old who hates noise, fireworks, and upside-down rides. Are these rides could for their personalities!!!

Keep the Magic Alive!
disneygal6568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 05:06 PM   #2
mishkamushka
I have been granted "Disney Power Of Attorney" for all our trip arrangements. They don't realize what they are doing!

Location: You can take the girl out of South Philly but you can't take South Philly out of the girl

you can't compare the two -- no way, no how.

You'd be better off comparing Dinosaur and Stitch's Great Escape or Malestrom and Pirates.
Register to remove

Old 07-10-2011, 05:08 PM   #3
chocovrdmicears
DIS Veteran

DINOSAUR - Yes - It is scary and CRAZY loud. If your kiddos don't like noise, they will HATE Dinosaur.
Malestrom - nothing at all scary about this ride that a 10 and 12 year old couldn't handle.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:08 PM   #4
disneygal6568
making dreams come true

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishkamushka View Post
you can't compare the two -- no way, no how.

You'd be better off comparing Dinosaur and Stitch's Great Escape or Malestrom and Pirates.
I just mean in scare factor. Are they as bad as descriptions say?

Keep the Magic Alive!
Old 07-10-2011, 05:10 PM   #5
ancestry
Trees Without Roots Fall Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygal6568 View Post
Dinosaur is -- definitely. Now, I personally LOVE dinosaur and so do my kids but there is a definite scare factor there for many people. It is dark, loud, overstimulating, etc.
ancestry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 05:10 PM   #6
disneygal6568
making dreams come true

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocovrdmicears View Post
DINOSAUR - Yes - It is scary and CRAZY loud. If your kiddos don't like noise, they will HATE Dinosaur.
Malestrom - nothing at all scary about this ride that a 10 and 12 year old couldn't handle.
Thank youAre you staying at the AKL your next visit? That place is amazing! Do you have kids? Theycan take these little classes about animals and earn beads during your stay- and it's FREE!

Keep the Magic Alive!
Old 07-10-2011, 05:11 PM   #7
disneygal6568
making dreams come true

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancestry View Post
Dinosaur is -- definitely. Now, I personally LOVE dinosaur and so do my kids but there is a definite scare factor there for many people. It is dark, loud, overstimulating, etc.
Thank you. My 10 yr old won't ride that one!

Keep the Magic Alive!
Old 07-10-2011, 05:13 PM   #8
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygal6568 View Post
It think they mean in scare factor. Malestrom is about as scarry as Pirates. Dinosaur is, well, horrific. Never again. Since your kids do not like loud noise Dinosaur is the last ride I would take them on.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:15 PM   #9
The Hendies
DIS Veteran

Not sure what descriptions you are reading, but from what you describe as your kids' personalities, DO NOT take them on Dinosaur! The 'scariest' part of Maelstrom, aside from the occasional watery drop, is the trolls, and they are not in the least scary. Take the kiddos through the Norway gift shop and let them look at the trolls in the store. If that is scary, then no Maelstrom either.

Next trip .... 10/9/14 for my birthday!

DH Me

The Hendies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 05:19 PM   #10
disneygal6568
making dreams come true

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy_ib View Post
It think they mean in scare factor. Malestrom is about as scarry as Pirates. Dinosaur is, well, horrific. Never again. Since your kids do not like loud noise Dinosaur is the last ride I would take them on.
Oh...Now I understand what they ment... Thanks for the advice.

Keep the Magic Alive!
Old 07-10-2011, 05:20 PM   #11
disneygal6568
making dreams come true

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hendies View Post
Not sure what descriptions you are reading, but from what you describe as your kids' personalities, DO NOT take them on Dinosaur! The 'scariest' part of Maelstrom, aside from the occasional watery drop, is the trolls, and they are not in the least scary. Take the kiddos through the Norway gift shop and let them look at the trolls in the store. If that is scary, then no Maelstrom either.
I was on the WDW official website and lookingat The Official Guide of Walt Disney World.

Keep the Magic Alive!
Old 07-10-2011, 05:25 PM   #12
stitchfan531
Apprentice Vacation Planner

Dinosaur is CRAZY-- very loud, very disorienting, very "OMG-lots-of-things-happening-at-once". Maelstom, on the other hand, is only creepy if you don't like thick Norwegian accents and river trolls. I was fourteen or fifteen the first time I went on Dinosaur, and I was a little freaked out at first. But after a few months and a second ride through, I was perfectly fine with it. It's all about personality-- I couldn't handle the ride until I was a lot older, but then I'm not exactly the world's biggest thrill junkie. If your kids are big into thrills (and tall enough for the ride ), then they'll love Dinosaur, and probably fall asleep on Maelstrom. If they're not, then they won't go within two hundred feet of Dinosaur, and go gaga for Maelstrom. Or, they'll love both, or hate both. It really depends on what your kids are like, and what they like.

STITCHFAN531
Aug '11 Tripmates:
Mouseketeer1 (MSKTR1) Mouseketeer2 (MSKTR2)
My Family:
Dad Mom Me! DSis Lightning Sally

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand!"They laugh at me, these fellows/just because I am small./They laugh at me because I'm not a hundred feet tall./I tell 'em there's a lot to learn down here on the ground./The world is big but LITTLE PEOPLE turn it around!" (Little People, Les Miserables)
stitchfan531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 05:59 PM   #13
MouseEarsForAll
Oh snap! I get to hold the trophy?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchfan531 View Post
Dinosaur is CRAZY-- very loud, very disorienting, very "OMG-lots-of-things-happening-at-once". Maelstom, on the other hand, is only creepy if you don't like thick Norwegian accents and river trolls. I was fourteen or fifteen the first time I went on Dinosaur, and I was a little freaked out at first. But after a few months and a second ride through, I was perfectly fine with it. It's all about personality-- I couldn't handle the ride until I was a lot older, but then I'm not exactly the world's biggest thrill junkie. If your kids are big into thrills (and tall enough for the ride ), then they'll love Dinosaur, and probably fall asleep on Maelstrom. If they're not, then they won't go within two hundred feet of Dinosaur, and go gaga for Maelstrom. Or, they'll love both, or hate both. It really depends on what your kids are like, and what they like.
Is DINOSAUR really bad? I've seen videos of it, and I don't see it being too bad at all.

Walt Disney World - 2004

Walt Disney World - 2005

Disclaimer: Now, you tell me McD's is coming back, I'm a passionate "Uh, yeah!"

MouseEarsForAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:49 PM   #14
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseEarsForAll View Post
Is DINOSAUR really bad? I've seen videos of it, and I don't see it being too bad at all.
A video of this ride will do it no justice. Have you seen Jurasic Park? It's kinda like that. No, not the JP ride at Universal. That is a cute boat ride by comparison to Dinosaur. It's like being in the movie when the T-rex was attacking. Loud noises everywhere, the ride vehicle is very rough and jerks all over the place, things popping out at you, flashing lights. When we looked at the ride photo at the end you could not see my face because I had it burried in DFHs shoulder!
Old 07-10-2011, 07:07 PM   #15
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

I once saw someone take an infant on Maelstrom. I doubt anyone has taken an infant on dinosaur. The fact that there are no restraints on Maelstrom tells you that it's mild. Dinosaur you are belted in.

Tags
animal kingdom, dinosaur, epcot, rides, scary

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: