DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2011, 09:27 AM   #1
DVC_Dreamer
If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse. - Walt Disney

28 days to go - My favorite smells of WDW

We all know about the eye candy in WDW. What about the distinctive smells encountered on a trip to the World.
Here are some of my favorites:

1. Laila - Perfume of Norway - This smell reminds me of our trips to WDW like no other. It reminds us of our favorite area of the World which is World Showcase and Mexico/Norway area. I bought this perfume for my wife over the Internet for Christmas a couple of years ago and the bottle is getting empty. I spray some on an American flag handkerchief that hangs on my car rear view mirror as an air freshener. It reminds me of WDW as I listen to park music on my commute to work. Good way to begin a work day in the right frame of mind.

2. Morning Dew - I love to get up early and enjoy the cool, quiet Florida morning as the sun heats up the wet grounds. The smell of morning dew and plants with the beautiful background music. Priceless. Part of my mental meditation when away from WDW to remind me of a peaceful place.

3. Bacon on Main Street - Did I read somewhere that they pump in a bacon smell at MK? I can smell it when I get off of monorail and head towards park gate and Main Street. Where's the restaurant it's coming from? Smells good but I suspect Disney magic to get me hungry.

4. Inside Water Boat Rides - My wife and I joke about this smell all the time. Truth be known, she's got the shnooz for all smells. She's sometimes annoying with her complaints about a smell I don't even notice. But this smell, which could be offensive to some, reminds us that we're in the World and most likely in one of our favorite attractions. Pirates, Splash, Mexico and Norway boat rides all have this mildewy smell. Smells like fun to me!

5. Bakeries - Norway and Main Street. No brainer.

6. Flowers - Combined with landscaping, this is a very pleasant experience and must be remembered to smell the roses as they say. As a DVC member, must remember to chill and take it all in.

7. Ice Cream shop on Main Street - Can't figure out why an Ice Cream shop smell so strong, sweet and yummy. My theory again is that Imagineers are up to tricks. Either way, it can trick me into getting another chocolate chip ice cream sandwich.

8. Flame Tree Barbecue - I'm a charcoal barbecue enthusiast. Mouth will water for ribs as I make my way there this year.

9. Almonds - Never eaten them but I love that vanilla smell as I make my way to England near start of World Showcase.

10. Poly lobby - I'm having trouble remember this smell distinctly but wife says it's a waterfall smell. It's tropical for sure and can't wait to get a look and smell on our way to Ohana this trip.

Did I miss any of your favorites? Let me know so I can get a whiff this next trip.

August 2011

June 2012

March 2013

DVC_Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:09 PM   #2
Corinne
DIS Veteran aka DVCTink

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC_Dreamer View Post
Did I miss any of your favorites? Let me know so I can get a whiff this next trip.
No idea WHY I love it, but, the smell of Rome burning on Spaceship Earth!

Corinne is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-11-2011, 01:18 PM   #3
mrsR123
Mad about the mouse
Teacher, teacher, can you teach me?

Mines not necessarily a favorite, but the scent of magnolias instantly transports me to POFQ.

And canned barbeque smoke stuff reminds me of Rome burning, too.
mrsR123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:28 PM   #4
Havana
DIS Veteran

Great Topic!
I love the smell of mornings at WDW too!

The smell of the BC lobby

Havana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:29 PM   #5
jblife62442
Character Hunter

Oh YES!!! I love this thread I feel like people sometimes neglect talking about how important the smells are!

I love Rome burning too!!! (glad I'm not the only one!)

I also love the smell of the ice cream shop on main street, it's the waffle cones they're making i think It has caused me to get ice cream for breakfast on a couple occasions

And the water boat smell? I LOVE IT!!! Again, glad I'm not the only one

A smell I really love that no one above mentioned is the water that comes from the sink at WDW resorts...I'm not sure why it smells different than normal water to me, but it does! And i LOVE the smell of it.

The popcorn smell is usually pretty wonderful, even though i don't usually buy popcorn.

The Disney christmas parade (the normal daytime one)--Clarabelle's float smells like gingerbread cookies or something delicious. love it.

Even though I don't car for them-the smell of Turkey legs is great.

And I'm allergic to fish, but the smell you catch as you walk by the Columbia Harbor House is right in place right there!

I probably have more somewhere in my head
Old 07-11-2011, 01:48 PM   #6
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

The smell when I walk into the BCV lobby. When those doors whoosh open and I walk in, I take a deep breath and smell ???(furniture wax, a deodorizer) and stop and smile "I'm home!" My apologies to anyone who's walking in back of me sometime and I stop suddenly, causing them to run into me. My fault!
Old 07-11-2011, 02:23 PM   #7
StevesBLT
Earning My Ears

Great idea for a thread! Don't forget about the smells of pine trees and oranges on "Soarin"!!!!
Old 07-11-2011, 07:01 PM   #8
AKLFan3
AKV Owner...I DO love the neighbors!

I love....

the smell of Rome burning too, lol.

the smell of AKV-Jambo House. When the doors open, there is the smell of spices. It's probably Boma or Jiko, but it always makes me feel like I am at home. I was disappointed that Kidani Village doesn't have the same smell, it is unique to Jambo House.

the smell of sugar on Main Street.

the smell of the lit fire torches around World Showcase right before Illuminations.

the smell of the Haunted Mansion. I don't know what odor it is, I can't even describe it.

the smell of incense in Morocco.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:44 PM   #9
DVC_Dreamer
If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse. - Walt Disney

You guys have great noses and memories

Rome burning. LOL. good one!
I need to remember the BCV lobby one to pay attention. Can't recall a specific smell there but sure it exists.
Torches at EPCOT. AWESOME
I knew I could count on you guys for some more cool ones.

August 2011

June 2012

March 2013

DVC_Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:08 AM   #10
Maliki2
DIS Veteran

While digging around for the Rome burning scent I did find this..."On a recent visit to WDW, my wife and I were able to try the Lapsang Souchong Tea offered at the Twinnings Shop at EPCOT. Much to our surprise this smell was identical to the "Burning of Rome" smell experienced while riding Spaceship Earth."

Someone needs to try and get back to us!
'12 Jambo - Sons first birthday trip!, '13 Kidani,
'14 Jambo

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:29 AM   #11
twinklebug
Dreaming in Mickey Vision
Too bad I wasn't 20, oh, I mean 3 years younger

Location: Left my heart in WDW, if found please leave at WL frontdesk

I love the smell of...

... the WL & VWL lobbies;

... the Disney fountains;

... walking into the Settlement;

... sweet icecream in the air at Beaches & creme;

... pastries in the air first thing in the am at the BW Bakery;

... specific ride smells: BTMRR, POTC, Dinosaur, TT;

... the old bandaid smell of the monorail.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:26 AM   #12
DizBub
Totally Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
The smell when I walk into the BCV lobby. When those doors whoosh open and I walk in, I take a deep breath and smell ???(furniture wax, a deodorizer) and stop and smile "I'm home!" My apologies to anyone who's walking in back of me sometime and I stop suddenly, causing them to run into me. My fault!
I read somewhere that the smell in BC lobby is actually on purpose, "piped" in. Very specific and distinctive. I'll be sure to stop and take it in when we check in Sept 30.
DizBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:17 AM   #13
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizBub View Post
I read somewhere that the smell in BC lobby is actually on purpose, "piped" in. Very specific and distinctive. I'll be sure to stop and take it in when we check in Sept 30.
Thanks-and come and let me know because I'll be checking in on September 28. At least you won't literally bump into me when I enter the lobby since it's two days after.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:37 AM   #14
CaptHomer
DIS Veteran

The German caramel shop in EPCOT.
CaptHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:46 PM   #15
dmoore22
Old Rock n' Roller

The smell of the bakery on Main Street in MK first thing in the morning.

Walking through Epcot during the Flower Festival.

Seven Seas Lagoon while riding the ferry from TTC to MK.

Espresso Coffee & Pastries in Showcase Plaza (Epcot)

Royal Anandapur Tea Company in Animal Kingdom

The courtyard behind the Yak and Yeti Local Foods Cafe

Hiking through the woods and caves on Tom Sawyer's Island at MK.

The many delights while waiting for my wife in Guerlain, Paris in the World Showcase

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: