Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2011, 12:27 PM   #61
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
Whether this is a rumor or not, you'd have to believe that Disney plans to do something with the Imagination pavilion someday. You can hear crickets in the place when you enter to ride.
Yep. I love Figment. The original ride was my absolute favorite. But that pavillion needs a refurb and needs it badly. I'd love to see a better ride that still uses Figment. I would love to see some of the space not currently used being used.
It is likely a rumor. Doesn't keep me from wishing though
Old 07-10-2011, 12:27 PM   #62
ducky_love
Saving the world one tourist at a time.

Eh, I used to love Figment but they have made such a mess of that ride that I wouldn't care. I wish they would bring the original back or just use the space for something better.
DLP: November 2013
FIRST TRIP TDL: September 2014!!
ducky_love is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-10-2011, 12:32 PM   #63
dkoerner27
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoogrrrl View Post
Haha! I WISH they would close Stitch and put in something new. What about a cool ride about an actual scary alien (not an annoying one)? That would be novel.
I wish it was still the way it used to be. Alas, The alien encounter wasn't "Disney" enough for the MK. It would have been better suited at DHS.

dkoerner27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:36 PM   #64
Katie In Wonderland
The First Born Princess of Dunbroch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSnell1981 View Post
The original wasn't "broke", but they've "fixed" it..twice. Maybe, third time's the charm? I wish DIsney, would do it right, but it seems, they've run out of magic.
I saw a video (I believe it was Martin Smith's) that talked about the history of the ride. The "Flight of Imagination" set was a giant turntable, not unlike one used in a theater, and the cars kept slipping and it would break down. Part of it's still there apparently but damaged, I heard. Alas, Disney decided to "make it better" and did the first rehab. People had their voices heard and we got the current one. I think you're right, Disney should do this right and maybe,for this ride at least, maybe they're running a little out of pixie dust But since Tink and her friends are in Epcot right now, maybe they could share some. Here's hoping for a better ride, closer to the original hopefully, and the comeback of the upstairs

Oh and about two years ago, my cousins and I were getting in our car at Imagination and we were talking about how we liked the no wait but the attraction was just okay but we love Figment. The guy closing the doors (why doesn't Disney have automatic doors on those cars?) told my cousin and I Imagination was going to get re-imagined along with Star Tours (this was quite a bit before they announced it was happening). We felt SO cool because we knew that I was starting to believe it was just something he told us, leading us on but I'm glad to see other people have now heard of it. :-)

'94-Poly, '95 & '96-WL, '97-Bwalk Inn, '99-DXL, '00-CR, '01-Swan, Aug '02-CBR, Dec '02-POR, '03-Swan, '04-WL, '05-BC, '07 CBR/DCL Wonder, '08-ASMu, '09 CBR, '10 ASMu, '11-GF, '12-POR PR, Jan '13- POP, Oct '13 - POR PR, '14 - AoA (LM)

Katie-Louise (Me) and Mom (Zoo Keeper)
Katie In Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:56 PM   #65
salabencher
Earning My Ears

Hey guys,

Like I say, we live 5 mins from Epcot and go 2-3 times a week. I doubt they will just close the pavilion completely like they did with the wonders of life. Its a great building, but has been hardly used for so long.

My kids are 3,6 and 12. They all hate captain EO, say it looks cheap. I agree it does and they need to refurb it with a state of the art movie. The upper floor is just closed off, and the Figment ride doesn't seem to have a point to the whole ride. The ride is ok, but the entire portion where you go into Figments house upside down is pretty lame in my opinion. If the ride is only a few minutes long, every moment of it should be interesting, not just getting from point A to point B.

If this post should have been in another place, by all means move it. I was concerned when I talked with the cast member and was looking for info. I have read this board over the years but have not posted. I assure you I'm not trolling.

We are going to Epcot tonight, Ill see if i can get more info.
salabencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:58 PM   #66
starrysky
DIS Veteran

I just hope that this turns out to be the CM's own figment of imagination.

I hope that if they do refurb it again it will turn out to be as magical as the original version was. And given all the developements in motion caputre etc in video games (kinect and the wii etc) that they can do some really cool things with the upstairs area.

1986 Hilton Downtown Disney, 1992 Offisite Kissimmee, 2006 Offsite (sheraton vistana) 2009 POFQ, 2010 POR, 2011 OKW, 2012 OKW, 2013 POFQ

starrysky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:58 PM   #67
salabencher
Earning My Ears

Is there a sum forum for Epcot specific chatter?
salabencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:09 PM   #68
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
But that's a tie-in with Disney characters, not with any movie.
There are segments practically lifted directly from "The Three Caballeros."

Watch it. Love it. See it in the Mexico pavillion.

larryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:18 PM   #69
MouseEarsForAll
Oh snap! I get to hold the trophy?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Holtz View Post
Needs to be true. Epcot is outdated and boring in terms of rides.
I have to agree...

Walt Disney World - 2004

Walt Disney World - 2005

Disclaimer: Now, you tell me McD's is coming back, I'm a passionate "Uh, yeah!"

MouseEarsForAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:36 PM   #70
si-am
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
But that's a tie-in with Disney characters, not with any movie. So it makes the ride fun for kids and a tiny bit more entertaining for adults bored by 'that kind of thing'. In fact, Norway might take a tip from Mexico. Only a small percentage of the guests who ride through Norway stay for the movie to learn about the country.
Ugh, Norway already ruined itself by turning the restaurant into a princess meal. I don't think it needs anything else annoying.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:39 PM   #71
mollygirl13
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky_love View Post
Eh, I used to love Figment but they have made such a mess of that ride that I wouldn't care. I wish they would bring the original back or just use the space for something better.
Agreed! Was just there 8 weeks ago. Sad to see what it has become. My mom and I only went in there because it was hot, we didn't want to see Captain EO and there was absolutely NO LINE.
Miss the original as well.
I quite can't understand who makes the decisions to replace the original versions of attractions and replace it with garbage.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:51 PM   #72
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygirl13 View Post
I quite can't understand who makes the decisions to replace the original versions of attractions and replace it with garbage.
Here's some background-

Kodak, the original "Journey Into Imagination" attraction's corporate sponsor since the opening of Epcot, had an agreement with Disney that stated the attraction must be "updated" for the year 2000.

Little did anyone know that the "creative minds" in WDImagineering would not be nearly as creative in 1998 as they had been in 1980!

The new "Journey Into Your Imagination" ride was one of the biggest disappointments in the history of Disney parks. There was NOTHING left of what had made the original ride such a major crowd pleaser (and that also meant that there was no Figment in that version!)

So, they finally "re-did the re-do" and you now still see the result:
"Journey Into Imagination With Figment."
Its "cute," (and, obviously, Figment is back) but the current ride is nothing but a far too short, sliver of the amazing first version of the ride.

In the grand scheme of these kind of things, re-designing the original ride was a colossal blunder.

There's a saying that goes, "Do you want to trade the devil you KNOW for the devil you DON'T know?"
(Meaning that if you don't like your situation NOW, how do you know that you won't move into a WORSE one by making a change?)

I'll paraphase it in the case of "Imagination" to say to Kodak/Disney...
"Do you want to trade the ANGEL you KNOW for the POSSIBLE devil you DON'T know?"

The original version of this ride is my all-time favorite attraction at Epcot.

It was so RICH in details that I'm sure that I never saw "everything" in it, even after literally dozens of ride-throughs.

The scenes were diverse and always surprising.
The musical arrangements were complex and interesting.
The characters were engaging.

There was even a "ride photo" that displayed as you rode along near the end.
What a tragedy that this was "lost" in an untimely and entirely AVOIDABLE set of missteps.

I'll assume that there was an entire CHAIN of memos and meetings where warnings of
looming problems were ignored (or not spoken strongly enough.)

I have seen so many majorly ill-advised corporate decisions made in all kinds of companies.

So sad that in a "vast bastion of creativity" like Disney, could they make such an unfortunate move
as to lose the original artistic creation that was the first version of Journey Into IMAGINATION.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:23 PM   #73
ModernArtist
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by matheke View Post
Has any one confirmed this with a bus driver or the guy that empties the trash cans???

Until then it is just a rumor.

Dan

2000 - Coronado Springs
2006 - Offsite
2011 - Pop Century
2012 - Swan/Wilderness Lodge
ModernArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 05:29 PM   #74
pezheadmeg
feminsit turned fashion student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Really?

Three pages (so far) on "the CM said..." info from a first-time poster?

Was waiting to see if someone beat me to the first time poster thing. Should have known it would be Robo.

But for the record, I would be heartbroken if Figment was to go. It has always been the whole family's must ride at EPCOT. I mean I wore a Figment pin to my grandfather's memorial service because I knew it would have meaning.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:36 PM   #75
bootc3
Mouseketeer

Did anyone hear they are extending the monorail to the other theme parks? I think I heard this from a CM who heard it from a CM who heard it from and Imagineer!
bootc3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: