Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
AlohaPolynesian
DIS Veteran

Embarrassed to post this, but...

What are the healthiest snacks at Disney?

I always used to roll my eyes when people asked this question. But I gained a lot of weight last year and have been doing SO well all month. I already lost 5 pounds and I know that will be easy to put back on with more than a few treats at Disney. I am in a wedding in 6 weeks so I don't want to slip up now.

While I still plan to allow myself to have one treat a day, I wanted to see if anyone has any favorite "healthy" snacks or meals.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 01-20-2013, 07:14 PM   #2
Ripey
Earning My Ears

I loved the pre-packaged grapes in our food court. I got those as my dessert every time I could, but I am sure you could get them as a snack too.
Ripey is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-20-2013, 07:18 PM   #3
juliebug1997
DIS Veteran

At the food courts, they also used to have little packages of apples. You will find healthier snacks at your food court, like veggie snacks. At DL, we saw lots of whole pieces of fruit but I don't remember seeing things like that on our last trip to WDW.

Commando #137 at your service!
juliebug1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:20 PM   #4
SRiley1985
Mouseketeer

I really like the Edy's Strawberry Fruit bars. My daughter wanted Mickey ice cream sandwich every day so I would have one of those instead. Really refreshing on a hot day with lots of strawberry chunks in it!

Also I really like the Citrus Swirl from Sunshine Tree Terrace. I don't know how healthy it is for you but it was a lighter option instead of regular ice cream all the time.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:22 PM   #5
Brook1099
DIS Veteran

Crazy me thinks the fruit @ AK is the best fruit in the world, must be the atmoshpere.
But there are fruit cups available everywhere. Salads just watch the dressing always use on the side and dip fork in first, works great on higher calorie dressings.
Most restaraunts are very accomaditing to you and how you would like to sub out higher fat sides for healtier ones too.

Enjoy and congrats on your weight loss. I know first hand it is soo....easy to put weight on in Disney, I gained 5 in Nov. and still trying to get it off ( holidays not much help) but no excuse now..lol
Brook1099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:26 PM   #6
AlohaPolynesian
DIS Veteran

Thank you SO MUCH, everyone!! These are great tips
Old 01-20-2013, 07:44 PM   #7
jwfla422
DIS Veteran/Philly Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaPolynesian View Post
Thank you SO MUCH, everyone!! These are great tips
No reason to be embarrassed, I always try to pick healthy options, even at WDW with an occasional treat, but a tip that I live by:

I always pack a bag of mixed nuts that I roast myself (very easy). Whatever nuts you like, go to your local grocery's produce dept or baking aisle, pick up a few bags of different nuts RAW, not roasted or salted (lots of additives like oils and salts which are not necessary).

Go home and put them in you toaster oven on a tray lined with foil, mix them up add a little salt (you control the amount), toast them for 3 min (keep your eye on them so they don't burn). Cool them down, place them in a container and before you go on your trip, put a small handful or about 1/4 cup in snack sized ziplocs (split them up in as many snacked sized bags they fit in, seal and put the bags in a quart sized bag and pack it up).

Each day when you go to the parks, etc. put one snack sized bag in your bag that you bring to the park and wherever you go that day.

Nuts are great protein and even though they are high in fat and calories, they are great for weight loss and to keep your health and glucose levels at bay. As long as you don't eat a cup at one sitting (LOL)...they're one of the best healthful and versatile travel snacks.

This way you're not stuck with temptation when your feeling that shakiness and sudden hunger, I have to eat something now and there are not any healthy choices just reach for those nuts. I do this all the time, at home, at WDW...
jwfla422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:53 PM   #8
AlohaPolynesian
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwfla422 View Post
No reason to be embarrassed, I always try to pick healthy options, even at WDW with an occasional treat, but a tip that I live by:

I always pack a bag of mixed nuts that I roast myself (very easy). Whatever nuts you like, go to your local grocery's produce dept or baking aisle, pick up a few bags of different nuts RAW, not roasted or salted (lots of additives like oils and salts which are not necessary).

Go home and put them in you toaster oven on a tray lined with foil, mix them up add a little salt (you control the amount), toast them for 3 min (keep your eye on them so they don't burn). Cool them down, place them in a container and before you go on your trip, put a small handful or about 1/4 cup in snack sized ziplocs (split them up in as many snacked sized bags they fit in, seal and put the bags in a quart sized bag and pack it up).

Each day when you go to the parks, etc. put one snack sized bag in your bag that you bring to the park and wherever you go that day.

Nuts are great protein and even though they are high in fat and calories, they are great for weight loss and to keep your health and glucose levels at bay. As long as you don't eat a cup at one sitting (LOL)...they're one of the best healthful and versatile travel snacks.

This way you're not stuck with temptation when your feeling that shakiness and sudden hunger, I have to eat something now and there are not any healthy choices just reach for those nuts. I do this all the time, at home, at WDW...
Thanks! My flight leaves at 6am tomorrow, so don't have time to do this for this trip but I will definitely try it when I get back and bring to work!!
Old 01-20-2013, 07:57 PM   #9
ktnryansmom
Mouseketeer

you'll be walking so much and if you're drinking water all day you should be okay to splurge a little

Have fun!
ktnryansmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:13 PM   #10
carrie1626
DIS Veteran

There has been a FRESH FRUIT cart in AKL the last 2 visits.
I love PINEAPPLE and they had it!
I remember it being on the path going towards Kilamjaro Safari
2000 NOV Polynesian 2001 OCT AS Music 2002 AUG Grosvenor DD 2003 AUG DoubleTree DD 2004 NOV Port Orleans French Quarter 2006 NOV POP Century 2010 AUG Animal KingdomLodge 2011 NOV Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012 NOV HGVC Internat'l Dr 25th Anniversary trip 2013 DEC Pop/CBR next trip not soon enough
carrie1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:51 PM   #11
disneybliss2
DIS Veteran

Here's my picks: fresh fruit at AK (they always have the best fruit selection--little "market" cart outside of Kilimanjaro Safari, fresh pineapple spears from Aloha Aisle at MK, we've also found fresh fruit at MK, Edy's Strawberry Bars (love these), prepackaged grapes that can be found all over, Flame Tree BBQ offers fresh melon (at least during they did this summer; not sure if this is seasonal).
disneybliss2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:08 PM   #12
purpledisneyprncess
DIS Veteran

I always try to find healthy alternatives whether in be in WDW, at home, parties, etc. I really enjoy food, but get more satisfaction out of eating healthier. Some might not agree that a Mickey soft pretzel is healthy b/c of all the carbs, but I'd say it's health"IER" than some of the other snacks at DW. Also, like someone else said, Edy's fruit bars are a good dessert alternative. Some quick service restaurants might have veggie burgers too, IMO those are yummy.

Have fun, and hope you find some healthy snacks that you can enjoy!!
purpledisneyprncess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:41 PM   #13
Anniefrances
Mouseketeer

For MK these are some of my favorites--fresh pineapple spears instead of Dole Whip at Aloha Aisle, side of green beans instead of fries at Cosmic Rays, yogurt/fruit/granola cup instead of pastry at Main St. bakery. And for sit down lunch at MK, the quinoa veggie burger at LTT is THE BOMB! You can sub a fruit cup for the sweet potato fries if you want to save some calories. And my fav "treat" dessert in MK is a caramel-nut covered apple from the candy shop in frontier land. If you ask they will slice it and put it in a box so you can share it (or eat just part of it and save some for later). Yum, yum can't wait for summer!
2001 offsite (shh! left a conference for the day to check it all out ), 2002 POR , 2003 Disneyland , 2004 BWI, cancelled--medical issues , 2005 Poly , 2007 POP , 2008 POP , 2009, POP , 2010 CR CL , 2011 WL , 2011 POP (short trip for G's birthday) , 2012 ASMo/CBR , 2013 AS Sp , 2014 AS Sp (short trip for J's birthday) , summer 2014 AS Sp
Anniefrances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:49 PM   #14
CuteAsMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwfla422 View Post

Great tip! They all are!! What kind of nuts do you use?

Wilderness Lodge Old Faithful Club - 2010, 2013, 2015
We'll be home soon...

CuteAsMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:26 PM   #15
BriarRosie
Creator of Tag Fairy Haiku:
Clap your hands loudly
Bounce until your rear is sore
Tags shall be granted
Official DIS TF Haiku author!

There are fruit and veggie carts in all the parks. The food courts sell fruits and veggie snacks. I bought some bananas at the Beach Club Marketplace, and the fridge section had some bags of sliced apples, grapes, and some carrots and celery with ranch dip.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: