Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2011, 01:12 AM   #1
teriyaki
Smackeralchick will live on forever

Location: Standing near the freezer, eating a quart of ice cream. Yes, I said quart.

Where did you eat in Vancouver?

For those who are back from their Alaska cruises, and those of you who know Vancouver, where would you recommend eating?

We're looking for casual places with varied menus, nothing hideously expensive.

Thanks in advance.
Laurie
Old 07-08-2011, 01:26 AM   #2
E&Cmom
Mouseketeer

I recommend White Spot. It is a chain here so they are easy to find. Good variety in their menu. I live just outside of Vancouver and we love it there. If you want Pasta, go to Old Spagetti Factory in Gastown. Fun place to eat and they are reasonably priced. Your entree price comes with soup/salad,yummy bread, spumoni ice cream and tea/ coffee. I can't help with smaller places. Unfortunately, I don't get downtown as much as I would like to.
E&Cmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-08-2011, 02:10 AM   #3
whayes
Mouseketeer

We visit Vancouver a lot since we live so close. There are a wide variety of restaurants all over the city. We enjoy the Old Spaghetti Factory. There is an interesting Russian/Eastern European restaurant, a yummy yogurt place and a great cookie store on Denman Street. There are a lot of options on Robson Street. If you like Indian and are willing to travel away from the port, there is a great place called Maurya on West Broadway.

This may seem weird to some, but we even enjoy McDonald's. They have different choices than the US and it tastes different. It is a fun experience.

Enjoy your time!!
WDW - 92 offsite (1st Visit!!), 5/97 WL, 8/98 GF, 3/99 ASMo, 8/99 ASMo, 5/00 GF, 11/02 offsite, 8/03 AKL & CR, 4/04 PC, 11/04 SSR, 12/05 SSR, 1/06 offsite, 5/06 BWV, 12/06 AKL, 5/07 SSR, 6/08 POR, 12/08 SSR, 11/09 BLT and AKV Jambo House
DCL - 11/04 3 Day, 5/06 3 Day, 11/09 Western, PC REPO 1/2011, Alaska 5/2011, Fantasy Eastern 11/12, Wonder Repo 9/13
DLP - 9/01
TDR - 3/07
Adventures by Disney - Viva Italia - 9/08
whayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:27 AM   #4
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Death By Chocolate! We went to the one on Denman, but I just read that location is closed.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:48 AM   #5
Medic193
Earning My Ears

First place we ate at was recommended by the hotel concierge and was written in some book as one of the best restaurants around. It was called Kirin. Was pretty much the worse place for food and service I have ever been to. After that experience I was a little nervous.
We went to Whet at Granville Island and really liked that place. We also really like White Spot. I was expecting something like Denny's when we went and I was suprised when we got there.
Dec '07 - Wilderness Lodge 1st Christmas
Oct '09 - Coronado Springs
Jun '11 - Wonder - Alaska
Jun '12 - Fantasy - Caribbean
Jul '13 - Tokyo DisneySea, Disneyland
Medic193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:40 AM   #6
ibouncetoo
I get excited by the little things!
I follow directions well!!!
I'm not allowed to buy any more craft supplies till I actually MAKE something LOL

Old Spaghetti Factory is a good spot to take a group as they can easily accomodate large parties. (Good bbq ribs too!)

Jackie '99-01AllStar Movies 02-03Many trips DLR '03 Nov AKL/Swan 04 April POFQ Oct offsite/Dolphin 05 Jan POP/WL,3DLR Nov POFQ/Wonder/POP 06 2DLR, Nov Magic DD 07 May DLR Dec SSR/Wonder 08 April DLR May Magic-WBPC Sept DLR 09 Sept WDW/Magic-Tortola Nov DLR 10 Jan Magic-Western, April EBTA 11 Jan 2Day Wonder April LA Repo/Alaska Nov Dream B2B 12 Wonder-Hawaii Dec Fantasy-SanJuan 13 2x DLR, Nov Dream 4 day

ibouncetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:48 AM   #7
wisegal
Mouseketeer

My family likes Red Robins.

Me , DH DD (7) DS (6)
wisegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:00 AM   #8
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL View Post

Death By Chocolate! We went to the one on Denman, but I just read that location is closed.
We enjoyed Death by Chocolate. I forget which location we went to.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:33 AM   #9
PredzMan
Mouseketeer

Vancouver Food

It depends on where you are staying in Vancouver, we were at the Fairmont Waterfront and based our food decisions off of where we could go on the SkyTrain or walk.

On our walk up the seawall to Stanley Park we hit onto a place called Cardero's in Coal Harbor (about 1/2 way to Stanley Park). They have an excellent happy hour deal of a pound of mussels, bunch of french fries, and a pint of beer for only $10. Being from Milwaukee, we almost passed out at a price like that for fresh mussels. They were in a light curry sauce - very good. A nice little pre-dinner snack if you wanted. We did look at their menu and it was very much a seafood and steak place, but also rather expensive.

We ended up going to Al Porto in Gastown for dinner. Now before everyone gets on my back - we have an Old Spaghetti Factory in Milwaukee and it's considered just a step below Olive Garden standards, not too good. Plus the concierge at the hotel said it was just "average" food. So for those that have been there and like it - I respect your opinion! But, Al Porto was by far one of the best Italian places we've been to. It was very inexpensive as well, entree's around $15 for pasta stuff and $20 for steaks. The service was excellent as well.

Keep in mind that if you're in Vancouver during the day, near Canada Place there are about six different food trucks within 4 blocks of that area. We hit up the dim sum truck and the mexican truck as well. Both excellent street food, would go back to them in a heartbeat.

Here's the www sites of the places and food trucks -

http://vancouverdine.com/carderos0experience.aspx
http://www.alporto.ca/
http://www.straight.com/article-3932...ly-tasty-start

Jerry
PredzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:44 AM   #10
kgsmith
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredzMan View Post
It depends on where you are staying in Vancouver, we were at the Fairmont Waterfront and based our food decisions off of where we could go on the SkyTrain or walk.

On our walk up the seawall to Stanley Park we hit onto a place called Cardero's in Coal Harbor (about 1/2 way to Stanley Park). They have an excellent happy hour deal of a pound of mussels, bunch of french fries, and a pint of beer for only $10. Being from Milwaukee, we almost passed out at a price like that for fresh mussels. They were in a light curry sauce - very good. A nice little pre-dinner snack if you wanted. We did look at their menu and it was very much a seafood and steak place, but also rather expensive.

We ended up going to Al Porto in Gastown for dinner. Now before everyone gets on my back - we have an Old Spaghetti Factory in Milwaukee and it's considered just a step below Olive Garden standards, not too good. Plus the concierge at the hotel said it was just "average" food. So for those that have been there and like it - I respect your opinion! But, Al Porto was by far one of the best Italian places we've been to. It was very inexpensive as well, entree's around $15 for pasta stuff and $20 for steaks. The service was excellent as well.

Keep in mind that if you're in Vancouver during the day, near Canada Place there are about six different food trucks within 4 blocks of that area. We hit up the dim sum truck and the mexican truck as well. Both excellent street food, would go back to them in a heartbeat.

Here's the www sites of the places and food trucks -

http://vancouverdine.com/carderos0experience.aspx
http://www.alporto.ca/
http://www.straight.com/article-3932...ly-tasty-start

Jerry
Thanks for the information, Jerry. We'll be at the Fairmont Waterfront, as well. The menu at Al Porto looks great! And so does the early bird dinner price We'll still be on east coast time, so an early dinner sounds like a good idea.

kgsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:55 AM   #11
n8tivecaligirl
Mouseketeer

If you like greek then go to "stepho's greek taverna"(1124 davie st). This place was good and fairly cheap (for vancouvers standards). Be aware there is ALWAYS a line out the door and down the street(even at 10 PM), but the line moves quickly and it's worth the wait. They have chicken, lamb, seafood etc.. LOTS of food.

n8tivecaligirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:01 PM   #12
ratt1345
Always wishing I was Disney cruisin'!!!

DW and I also enjoyed old Spaghetti Factory. Great food and great atmosphere. Also, since we don't have one where we live, we ate lunch once at Red Robin. Now I want one in our area!!!
Old 07-08-2011, 12:05 PM   #13
DisneyBasket
Mouseketeer

We stayed at the Sutton Place, and our bellman recommended the restaurant across the street for a late lunch, called Joeys Burrard. We enjoyed it so much we went back another day for dinner. We did find it to be more pricey than we were expecting (the bellman said it would be reasonable), but it was not out of line for a city restaurant. Here is a link to the Joey restaurants in the Vancouver area: http://www.joeyrestaurants.com/
Old 07-08-2011, 12:37 PM   #14
mstinson14
DIS Veteran

We ate at the mcdonalds close to port!
Old 07-08-2011, 12:45 PM   #15
Gilland18
DIS Veteran

We really like Tim Horton's for breakfast. They have really good pastries, etc, plus breakfast sandwiches and good coffee. They also have good sandwiches for lunch and they aren't too expensive.

Kim

WDW 1984, Polynesian/Wonder 2003, Pop Century 2006,
Wonder Alaska 2011, Wonder EBPC 2012
Gilland18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: