Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2011, 01:44 PM   #31
LittleMissMagic
Victoria on Vacation

We walked to the Polynesian for dinner at Kona Cafe.

In the meantime, we passed the wedding pavilion....

We were fashionably late....

We got seated on the wall in the back. I think I prefer sitting on the edge of the restaurant... better for people watching.

Our waiter's name was Justin. I remember this because we were always asking, "Where's Justin?" If you forgot about my complaints about the slow service in my review, I'll remind you a little...

We came to Kona specifically because Rachel loves their bread. It is delicious. Well, this guy didn't refill our bread basket... until we asked him and then reminded him, again. Wouldn't have minded a third loaf, either....

I had the crab cakes, which is listed as an appetizer for two, but it hardly makes an entree for one. I ate some of my mother's shrimp noodles. Rachel and Dad got the chicken with salad.

1991-2004 AP holders | 2000 Disney Magic 4-Day Bahamas | 2005 Disneyland | 2006 Swan New Year's | 2008 AllStar Movies with HS Marching Band
2008 Grand Floridian Independence Day | 2009 Bay Lake Tower Labor Day | 2010 Wilderness Lodge New Year's | 2010 AllStar Music with HS Marching Band
2010 Polynesian Graduation Celebration | 2011 Grand Floridian Independence Day | 2012 Polynesian Spring Break | 2012 Beach Club Graduation Celebration
2012 Saratoga Springs Food & Wine | 2013 Disneyland Paris Sequoia Lodge | 2013 Beach Club Resort Food & Wine
2013/2014 New Year's Eve Waldorf Astoria | 2014 Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean Cruise

Old 07-08-2011, 01:50 PM   #32
heaven2dc
DIS Veteran

Great pics! GF is an absolutely beautiful hotel (I have only seen it once when I went to meet a fellow Dis'r to do a stroller swap for my daughter but fell in love with it). Your dad's description of attractions is too cute! Loved the pics in front of the Castle

WDW Trips: March 1997 (BWV), February 2008 (BWV), December 2008 (BWV), Nov/Dec 2010 (BWV)

Disneyland Trips: September 1983, AP Holder July 2013 (twice), August 2013 & November 2013

All Our Dreams Come True If We Have the Courage To Pursue Them - Walt Disney
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-08-2011, 01:54 PM   #33
NYDIS
Earning My Ears

Love your report and your pics are gorgeous! We have stayed at the GF a couple of times (Boca Chica) and I'm with you....I love this resort, very relaxing and everyone was so friendly.

2013 - BC
2012 - POLY
2011 - CR
2010 - BC
2009 - GF/CBR
2008 - GF/CSR
2007 - WL/POP
2006 - POLY
2005 - POR
2004 - AKL
1999 - AS Music
1994 - AS Sports
1990 - CBR
Old 07-08-2011, 02:25 PM   #34
rpbear
DIS Veteran

Great trip report. I love the pictures of you and your sister. I have two daughters one is 17 and the oldest is 23. I have pictures of them jumping in front of the castle, looking at awe at the castle and several other poses very close to you and your sister's poses.

I am looking forward to reading the rest of your trip report.

Lucy

It has been too long since the last trip. Adding a ticker finally for my next trip.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:26 PM   #35
LittleMissMagic
Victoria on Vacation

After we FINALLY got out of Kona, we hopped on the monorail and headed to MK.

It was almost time for the first showing of the Main Street Electrical Parade. Main Street was packed, so we took this as an opportunity to get links taken out of the watch Max gave me for Christmas.

After the parade, we decided to head out on Main Street and fight for a spot to view the fireworks. It was really crowded.

We had a really great spot, but then this guy rolled up behind us..... and the smell was so bad, we had to leave. Note to self.... if you want to get a good fireworks viewing spot, don't bathe for weeks!!! inch:

We found another decent spot, though.

The Magic, the Memories, and You was a cute show, but I didn't really get any good pictures of it.

I have, however, gotten better at taking fireworks pictures.

1991-2004 AP holders | 2000 Disney Magic 4-Day Bahamas | 2005 Disneyland | 2006 Swan New Year's | 2008 AllStar Movies with HS Marching Band
2008 Grand Floridian Independence Day | 2009 Bay Lake Tower Labor Day | 2010 Wilderness Lodge New Year's | 2010 AllStar Music with HS Marching Band
2010 Polynesian Graduation Celebration | 2011 Grand Floridian Independence Day | 2012 Polynesian Spring Break | 2012 Beach Club Graduation Celebration
2012 Saratoga Springs Food & Wine | 2013 Disneyland Paris Sequoia Lodge | 2013 Beach Club Resort Food & Wine
2013/2014 New Year's Eve Waldorf Astoria | 2014 Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean Cruise

Old 07-08-2011, 10:05 PM   #36
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

Isn't GF the best? I hope the rumors are true that they are building a DVC-GF.

I know what you mean about getting a spot for the fireworks except what usually happens to us is we find a spot an hour before the parade, sit there for the entire time and then right before the parade, someone walks up and parks their kids (and usually their "large frame") right in front of us! I don't have the heart to tell the kids to move though.

Keep the TR coming....loving it!

DL - 1967 | WDW - 1973 (Orlando) | WDW - 1980 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1985 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1997 (Contemporary) | WDW - 2007 (Old Key West)
DVC - May2010 - OKW | Nov-Dec2010 - AKV/BWV | May2012 - BLT/VWL | Sep2012 - Aulani (30th anniversary) | Dec2012 - Aulani (DD honeymoon) | Oct2013 - BCV | Jun2014 - BWV | Oct2014 - DCL/BCV | Aug2015 - DCL Alaska | Dec2015 - BWV

The "Don't mess with the CMs/take less photos TR" Jun14 @ BWV
Oct13-BCV - MNSSHP, F&W, Wild Africa Trek
Sep12-Aulani - Sharks, horses, a submarine scooter, luau & Mickey
May12-BLT/VWL - Don't tell Mickey! It's NOT a bug's life! That's a dolphin's WHAT? Where's the ER? Is that a body? Seaworld, Discovery Cove, IoA, Space Center
Nov/Dec10-AKV/BWV - Backstage Magic Tour; V&A; Lots of pics and video
May10-OKW - DDP cost analysis; Wishes Dessert Party; Fantasmic
Old 07-09-2011, 10:52 AM   #37
sstewart
Earning My Ears

All caught up and subbing! Can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip- GF is one of our choices for our anniversary trip next year. It looks beautiful!
Old 07-09-2011, 11:57 AM   #38
LittleMissMagic
Victoria on Vacation

After the fireworks, we walked the parade route toward Frontierland to find a good viewing spot. Since the parade went from Main Street to Frontierland the first time, we assumed it went from Frontierland to Main Street for the second time. It also made sense because the park closed at 11:00, and the parade started at 11:00, so wouldn't they want to lead people towards the front of the park???

Apparently not.... we waited and waited and realized that the parade was clearly coming from Main Street, again. :glare:

Last edited by LittleMissMagic; 07-10-2011 at 10:25 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:41 PM   #39
Lucys2200
Mouseketeer

I LOVE those bags! That will serve as inspriation for me to make my own for my next trip And the smelly person I completely understand...atleast it was only one person...I have been stuck with horrible smelling Brazilian teenage tour groups.. not fun,lol
Old 07-09-2011, 08:14 PM   #40
Ellen aka Snow White
I AM LIVING IN MY MINI-VAN!!!
It's a mother's right to embarrass her children!

Thank you! Thank you! for finally getting me some pictures!! 2 points - tell mom I want one of those bags!! I am going in January and will need it by then. 2nd - I better be a guest of honor at your disney wedding - I KNOW you are going to have one!!
Waiting for more.....

Ellen
Old 07-10-2011, 12:23 AM   #41
LittleMissMagic
Victoria on Vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen aka Snow White View Post
Thank you! Thank you! for finally getting me some pictures!! 2 points - tell mom I want one of those bags!! I am going in January and will need it by then. 2nd - I better be a guest of honor at your disney wedding - I KNOW you are going to have one!!
Waiting for more.....

Ellen
Mom says what colors, and what print would you like the lining?

And you're right, I will be having a Disney wedding! I already have my Disney wedding savings fund.... I'm afraid no one from my family will want to come (can you believe that my some of my cousins have never been to Disney???), so I'll need some extra people there that will appreciate the setting!

Old 07-10-2011, 12:55 AM   #42
LittleMissMagic
Victoria on Vacation

There was EMH at MK until 2am, so we headed to Big Thunder Mountain after the parade. Hardly a wait!

We then hit up Splash Mountain and lucked out with the back two rows, again.

Then we went to it's a small world, my mother's favorite attraction.

No, guys... it's not Iceland!

We then headed over to Space Mountain. We actually had some FPs that Dad grabbed before we left the park that afternoon... once again, long overdue!

I think my Dad has a picture of the ride photo on his cell phone. I noticed him "secretly" taking pictures of the ride photo with his phone after every single ride. No, Dad... it's not completely obvious when you're standing right at the picture window with your phone down by your chest, looking left and right to make sure no one is watching........ I bet you have really good pics with your "3.2 megapixel camera."

Anywho, our ride photo was absolutely hilarious... the camera is at a terrible spot... nothing that induces a surprised or scared reaction, just flashing lights. So, we decided to pose for it. Rachel did a "crazy eyes" face where she opened her eyes really big. She said that the flash had blinded her and she was still having trouble seeing, especially after all of that racing around in the dark! It was so funny looking! I wanted to buy it, but she wouldn't let me. If my dad has the photo on his phone, I'll be sure to post it.

Well, after Space Mountain, we were whooped, so we hopped on the monorail and headed home.

Rachel was exhausted....

Last edited by LittleMissMagic; 07-10-2011 at 10:43 PM.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:15 AM   #43
Ellen aka Snow White
I AM LIVING IN MY MINI-VAN!!!
It's a mother's right to embarrass her children!

Looks like you are having a blast!! Tell mom I would like the khaki too - so it will go with everything! and just surprise me with the inside print. Of course any of those "future modifications" she wants to try will be just dandy with me! I know she comes up with great, creative ideas so I will be her guinea pig.
Loving the report - I don't ride "splash" so I really love seeing those photos!
Keep it coming...
Old 07-10-2011, 09:13 AM   #44
PrincessAmongPrinces
Mouseketeer

Hi Great trip report so far! You've taken some great pictures of the Grand Floridian!
I love the pictures of you and your sister in front of the castle. It looks like you guys are really close
I also absolutely LOVE the bags your Mom made - she would absolutely have a market for those if she wanted to open her own etsy shop!
Can't wait to read about the rest of your trip!
Old 07-10-2011, 10:39 AM   #45
LittleMissMagic
Victoria on Vacation

I woke the family up bright and early the next morning for EMH at DHS. And yes, there were gripes (guess from who!) "Whyyy soooo earlyyyyy???"

Not surprisingly, it was a good thing we went early. We missed rope drop by 15 minutes or so, and by the time we got to Toy Story Mania, the initial madness had calmed, but the FP line was as long as the stand-by line! So, we decided to get in stand-by and skip the FPs.

The line for TSM moved pretty quickly, and it's very entertaining with all of the cutesy toys inside. I surprisingly didn't take any pictures. I always think to myself when going to Disney, "I always have so many pictures of everything, why do I need more?" But I always eventually give in and pull out the camera.

Rachel and went head-to-head. She always beats me in this game. I always beat her in Buzz (which is surprising because I don't think either of us know what the heck we're doing on Buzz... just pulling the trigger and moving the gun around, hoping we shoot something in the process). She was beating me until the ring-the-alien round when I shot to the lead. I was hoping she wouldn't notice, but she did, and stepped up her game. The final round, when you have to pull the ball as fast as you can, we're always exhausted and screaming in pain... my hand cramps so bad on this game! It's a workout!!!! Well, she beat me...

After TSM, we headed over to RnRC. Dad got FPs, and the wait time was only ten minutes (if that!). The great thing about the TSM madness is that it keeps people away from RnRC and ToT in the morning.

Rachel and I got to ride in the front row in Rockin' Rollercoaster. It was a first for her. Dad wanted to, actually. It's funny that the guy who shoves his petite daughters to the front of every fireworks show and parade route was then trying to take the front of the rollercoaster. I almost gave into his cute little pout, but then mom shot him a look that read "you better let your daughters have the front row," so I won out in the end. The front was great! But apparently my cell phone fell out of my pocket during the ride and hit Rachel in the leg. "It hurt! I thought it was one of those [darn] water bottles!" said Rachel. Well, luckily she caught it with her foot and saved it!!!

Next up was Tower of Terror. In the meantime, Dad could FP again, and we were telling him just to chill out... we didn't need to FP anything right now - we had breakfast reservations soon.

I did break out my camera for this...

After ToT, we went back to RnRC to use our FPs.

It was then time for our breakfast reservation, so we headed out...

Last edited by LittleMissMagic; 07-10-2011 at 10:45 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: