Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Weddings and Honeymoons > Planning our Happily Ever After
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2011, 01:00 PM   #16
2dogmom
DIS Veteran

I am back from vacation. We went to Cedar Point and King's Island in Ohio and had a blast. Now back to the real world of work and wedding planning. The first thing I want to tackle is putting out some "save the date" cards/emails/something. Since my whole wedding will be on the informal side, I don't want to do formal cards. I was thinking about doing something like an eVite but I can only tackle one event with that. I want to be able to tackle 2 events at the same time and allow for guests to reply to both when they know what their plans are. So now I am thinking instead of an eVite, to put together a document of some sort that will talk about both the disney wedding and the luau reception back home, and incorporate that I can help assist with travel arrangements. I will definitely want a Disney count before 6 months out so I can make decisions about what we will do after the wedding. I have looked at a couple of wedding planning sites to assist with this and so far I like Wedding Wire the best, especially to help with the RSVPing part. I can separate it into separate events, give details for each, and get separate responses. Here is what I have so far.
http://www.weddingwire.com/GinaAndCarl

I definitely need to do more with that, but it is a starting point. Does anyone have a better site to use? Or a better way of sending out something?

My Wedding Planning Journal

June, 2014 - AoA / RP @ US June, 2012 - My Swan Wedding / BC-CL
Nov 2010 - POR Aug 2008 - Poly Dec 2007 - Poly/WL Dec 2006 - Poly Sept 2006 - Portofino
Dec 2005 - Poly May 2005 - WL/Poly Oct 2004 - Poly Feb 2003 - CS Oct 2002 - AKL

2dogmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:39 PM   #17
NicknNancy
Mouseketeer

Welcome to the PJ world!!! The website looks great!!!
NicknNancy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-19-2011, 12:41 AM   #18
tinkerbell 766
If I can't fly, let me sing. Or, in other words if I can't be in Disney, let me talk about it !
DLRP is quite simply my spiritual home

Have you thought about sending out a series of newsletters. In the run-up to my VR, I sent out three different newsletters - one at about a year out (which acted as a sort of S the D and included an initial response card, so that I had some idea who was thinking of joining us), one at about six months out with information about accomodation, ticketing, dining etc and one at about two months out containing more finalized plans.
Below is just a couple of pages (don't worry, not the whole thing!!) from the second newsletter to give you an idea. I created them at home using powerpoint and just printed them on good paper on my home printer. Everybody loved them and said that they were always eagarly awaiting the next edition!!

tinkerbell 766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:43 AM   #19
2dogmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicknNancy View Post
Welcome to the PJ world!!! The website looks great!!!
Thank you. I think it is time I put Carl to work to help out with adding content

Nov 2010 - POR Aug 2008 - Poly Dec 2007 - Poly/WL Dec 2006 - Poly Sept 2006 - Portofino

Old 07-19-2011, 11:46 AM   #20
2dogmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbell 766 View Post
Have you thought about sending out a series of newsletters. In the run-up to my VR, I sent out three different newsletters - one at about a year out (which acted as a sort of S the D and included an initial response card, so that I had some idea who was thinking of joining us), one at about six months out with information about accomodation, ticketing, dining etc and one at about two months out containing more finalized plans.
Below is just a couple of pages (don't worry, not the whole thing!!) from the second newsletter to give you an idea. I created them at home using powerpoint and just printed them on good paper on my home printer. Everybody loved them and said that they were always eagarly awaiting the next edition!!
Oh, That is a good idea. Could you share your first one with me too? Or if it is in your PJ, I can go check it out there. That is a really creative way of spreading the news.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:28 PM   #21
tinkerbell 766
If I can't fly, let me sing. Or, in other words if I can't be in Disney, let me talk about it !

You know, I am really sorry, but I don't have my first one. I recently had a major computer crashing incident and quite a lot of my back files were lost!!! My first newsletter was not posted on my PJ as it went out (I think) before I started seriously PJing.
I can tell you that I included things like initial plans, with a rough idea of dates, ceremony plans and a rough estimation of how much it would all cost my guests. We were providing accommodation for five days for everybody with our DVC points, but I knew that flying from the UK and the cost of further accommodation, park tickets, food etc would be a considerable expense for my guests. Therefore, I wanted to give them a ball-park figure and time-frame with which they could work out whether they could join us or not.
I used graphics and pictures (of location, accommodations etc) pulled from the internet to cheer up the whole newsletter.
There is a newsletter thread on this board and I think Vanessa (Figmentfan814) has a template which she generously e-mails out to people who want it. I am afraid that I am not as organized as she is, but here is the link to the thread about newsletters

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2138836

If I can be of any more help, please don't hesitate to ask.

Last edited by tinkerbell 766; 07-19-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:27 PM   #22
2dogmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbell 766 View Post
You know, I am really sorry, but I don't have my first one. I recently had a major computer crashing incident and quite a lot of my back files were lost!!! My first newsletter was not posted on my PJ as it went out (I think) before I started seriously PJing.
I can tell you that I included things like initial plans, with a rough idea of dates, ceremony plans and a rough estimation of how much it would all cost my guests. We were providing accommodation for five days for everybody with our DVC points, but I knew that flying from the UK and the cost of further accommodation, park tickets, food etc would be a considerable expense for my guests. Therefore, I wanted to give them a ball-park figure and time-frame with which they could work out whether they could join us or not.
I used graphics and pictures (of location, accommodations etc) pulled from the internet to cheer up the whole newsletter.
There is a newsletter thread on this board and I think Vanessa (Figmentfan814) has a template which she generously e-mails out to people who want it. I am afraid that I am not as organized as she is, but here is the link to the thread about newsletters

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2138836

If I can be of any more help, please don't hesitate to ask.
That link is a big help. I wouldn't have even thought about a newsletter before you mentioned it. Yippee! A new project to work on.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:13 AM   #23
2dogmom
DIS Veteran

I received an email yesterday saying my signed contract and deposit has been received so I officially have the date and time on the books. The next questions Karen had for me was regarding what type of service we wanted and flowers. I replied on the service (traditional/religious) but the flowers will really need to wait until I figure out what we all will be wearing. I'm thinking something tropical and colorful, beachy, and that will go with the swag for the bamboo structure. I haven't decided if I should make up something here with some artificial ones or get the real deal down there. I am only planning on having flowers for me and our 3 girls. I wasn't planning on any bridesmaids (I'm sure my sister won't be happy with that) but I want simple.

Next up, work on a save the date card/program. Hopefully I can make some progress this weekend. Vanessa sent me her templates so I have something to work with.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:33 AM   #24
tinkerbell 766

Sweet Gina - Good to know things are progressing well.
Looking forward to see what you come up with re. S the Ds etc!!

Old 07-28-2011, 10:53 AM   #25
2dogmom
DIS Veteran

The newsletter is done. I haven't sent it out yet since I need to have Carl pull together all of the emails/addresses on his guest list. Here it is. Let me know what you think

Last edited by 2dogmom; 07-28-2011 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:56 AM   #26
2dogmom
DIS Veteran

Figured out the question I was asking

Last edited by 2dogmom; 07-28-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:52 PM   #27
tinkerbell 766

Gina sweetie - What a fabulous job you have made of the newsletters!!!! They look really good. Well done!!!

Old 07-28-2011, 06:52 PM   #28
Jilian
DIS Veteran

I like the newsletter! Nice work!

Adventures in vow renewal planning! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2727345
Jilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:36 PM   #29
2dogmom
DIS Veteran

Wow, hard to believe it has been almost a month since I last posted. Guess work is keeping me too busy. I haven't done too much else for the wedding. Since I am doing a beach wedding at the swan, I picked up some different shells and some shell garland. I would like to incorporate the shell garland into the arch that we will be married under. I would like to somehow add some shells to the flowers too.

Oh, we were discussing how we would get down there. Usually we fly from the Chicago area, but are considering driving the almost 1200 miles. We are considering it for a couple of reasons. First, my 8yo gets terrible migraines on descent on flights. I do too, but mine end upon landing where hers continues for some time. She has even said she doesn't want to go to disney (which she loves) because she doesn't want to fly. Plus, it would be cheaper for us to rent a van or big SUV than to fly for 5 of us. Unfortunately my Subaru Forester isn't very roomy for even 2 kids. If I drive, that means I can do more stuff at home and bring more stuff too (or buy more stuff when down there ) I'm just not looking forward to two days of driving, but I have done it before and I can do it again. Carl would like to rent an RV, but that is only practical when you are staying in it, and I absolutely refuse to not stay on property for my wedding.

Speaking of property, I'm thinking of splitting out stay between the Beach Club and Poly. We LOVE Poly, and have never been to the Beach Club, but the pool seems really cool. I would want to do the Beach Club for the first half of the trip when we are getting married because it is close to the Swan.

One of these days I will need to pick a photographer... And maybe start looking for a dress... and maybe a cake design...

Old 08-24-2011, 02:21 PM   #30
tinkerbell 766

Gina sweetie - Driving seems a good option considering the circumstances!!! Remember that you can stay on-site at Fort Wilderness and use the RV. I understand that you want to stay at a hotel for your wedding though!!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: