Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 09:13 AM   #196
JJ&JHsmom
DIS Veteran

Yup, it is the high school make-up work that I am worried about. They only give them a few days to get everything done. My girl can get overloaded with the stress of it, if you know what I mean. Hopefully they won't be planning too many test and quizzes for those days. Classwork and homework is managable.

I tried to feel her out yesterday about where she would like to eat for her birthday, she has absolutely no clue! Going to have to work on that one.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:21 AM   #197
mommy2mrb
Mama to a Princess - But I'm a Scrap Princess
But you wouldn't need the clothes if you had the hot man

so many great places to celebrate....is tough to choose, just have her keep looking over menus

mommy2mrb is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-26-2012, 06:43 AM   #198
rlovew

DISboards Moderator

Teppan Edo is definitely lots of fun to eat at. We don't do the dining plan because we always stay on DVC points and it is not worth it. I generally do our big meals at lunch except for when we are eating at someplace that only does dinner. We will be at BOG this evening so I can let everyone know what I think of it. I am looking forward to the seafood pastry myself. I don't know what days we are going to try and go yet as I am not sure about our church Thanksgiving event (they started it this year) and how much I will plan on doing for it. I know we have to be home for Thanksgiving Day itself unless we move over the summer which is also about a 50-50 chance.

Rebecca
Old 11-26-2012, 07:47 AM   #199
JJ&JHsmom
DIS Veteran

Rebecca, hope you enjoy BOG! Looking forward to seeing what you think!
Old 11-26-2012, 09:12 AM   #200
mommy2mrb

so excited we are finally under the one year mark

Rebecca, enjoy BoG...had a friend go last week for both lunch and dinner and loved both their meals!

Old 11-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #201
rlovew

DISboards Moderator

The meal we had at BOG was amazing! We ate in the West Wing- I had requested it when we checked in. I had the scallop and shrimp dish and it was fabulous- Larry had the pork chop and loved it too. He had a chocolate cream puff for dessert and it is one of the best things he has eaten at Disney. I had the lemon meringue cupcake and it too was amazing. Since we were celebrating my birthday I was given the grey stuff too and that was fabulous. The atmosphere in the West Wing was really neat- DH said it felt a bit like dining in the haunted mansion- in a good way. About every 30 minutes or so there is a really loud crack of thunder and the a rose petal drops off the rose in one corner of the room and the portrait of the prince turns into the beast. About once every 45 minutes there is great fanfaire and the beast walks through the castle and over to his study to greet guests as they finish. We had reservations at 4:15 and so we were about the first ones done so we had no line to wait in to take a picture with beast. It was also neat to see where the stations are for ordering counter service at lunch which is in this section. As you walk out (or in during lunch) you go through a hall with knights and can hear the characters talking as though they are spying on you and trying to find out why you are there and who you are.

Rebecca
Old 11-26-2012, 09:39 PM   #202
mommy2mrb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlovew View Post
The meal we had at BOG was amazing! We ate in the West Wing- I had requested it when we checked in. I had the scallop and shrimp dish and it was fabulous- Larry had the pork chop and loved it too. He had a chocolate cream puff for dessert and it is one of the best things he has eaten at Disney. I had the lemon meringue cupcake and it too was amazing. Since we were celebrating my birthday I was given the grey stuff too and that was fabulous. The atmosphere in the West Wing was really neat- DH said it felt a bit like dining in the haunted mansion- in a good way. About every 30 minutes or so there is a really loud crack of thunder and the a rose petal drops off the rose in one corner of the room and the portrait of the prince turns into the beast. About once every 45 minutes there is great fanfaire and the beast walks through the castle and over to his study to greet guests as they finish. We had reservations at 4:15 and so we were about the first ones done so we had no line to wait in to take a picture with beast. It was also neat to see where the stations are for ordering counter service at lunch which is in this section. As you walk out (or in during lunch) you go through a hall with knights and can hear the characters talking as though they are spying on you and trying to find out why you are there and who you are.

Rebecca
I want to eat dinner in the west wing too, think it would be COOL! okay so what is the grey stuff....so want to get the lemon cupcake too! fun you get to meet the Beast too! did you do the storybook time with Belle? my friends did it during the preview and said it was awesome! can't wait to experience this, Belle is Megan's fav princess so know this will be a huge hit!

Old 11-27-2012, 04:29 AM   #203
morgansmom2000
DIS Veteran

That sounds awesome, Rebecca! Can't wait to make our reservations!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Old 11-27-2012, 05:42 PM   #204
JJ&JHsmom
DIS Veteran

Rebecca, thanks for sharing! Now to convince Julia we need to have dinner there!
Old 11-28-2012, 09:44 AM   #205
DisneyBarlans
DIS Veteran

Hey everyone! We got back from our trip Sunday night and are counting down the days until next year's!! We stayed at AOA-Lion King suite and LOVED it!! Fit our family of 5 perfectly...especially the 2 bathrooms. We had free dining, had to check in on Thursday so the boys missed 1 day of school (we have the whole Thanksgiving week off). I talked to the teachers beforehand and they let them take any tests/quizzes from Friday on Thrusday and we left after school Thursday. Even Brandon's high school teachers were ok with it, surprisingly. Hopefully they'll add the Mermaid rooms to FD for next year...otherwise I would suggest staying at Pop, because it's just a walk over a bridge to get there, and you would still be close to everyone at AOA.

Ok, here's my thoughts on meals:

BOG-Amazing!! A must do!! My favorite restaurant in all of Disney at the moment....and that's just the lunch, as I couldn't get a dinner reservation. We ate there twice, between DH, me, and Brandon we tried the turkey sandwich, steak sandwich, french onion soup, and roast pork. All were great. For desserts we had the chocolate cream puff, strawberry cupcake, & chocolate cupcake-all awesome!! We actually liked the desserts the best...it's worth it to just go and order dessert and enjoy the atmosphere if you don't want to spend a lot of $$ on food. The decorations were amazing!! We ate in the main dining room and the other dining room on the right (not sure what it's called)...we actually liked the second dining room the best because it's quiet and beautifully decorated. Just as large as the main dining room, but because it's off to the side most people don't see it so it's never crowded. The west wing dining room was awesome too, but small-if we have a large group I don't see us all fitting in there together...just my thoughts. I took tons of pics and I'm still editing. When I get finished I'll load a few on here so y'all can get a good look at all of the dining rooms.

One negative comment about BOG-the portions on the kids meals were tiny and there's not a lot of variety for picky eaters (like my Connor). He got the kid's pasta the first time and it was one small scoop-probably 1/2 cup of elbow pasta with marinara...Tyler got the mickey meatloaf and it was cute, but 2 tiny mickey shaped pieces of meatloaf. The second time we ate there I ordered an adult turkey sandwich meal for them to split and Connor just ate the french fries and a chocolate cupcake.

Teppan Edo
We've eaten there twice and loved it! They make it so much fun...definately a fun place to celebrate birthdays also.

Akershus
Never tried it, but I'm up for anything. Since we have 3 boys we don't do a lot of the princess meals, but we have eaten at CRT twice-for me. None of us like seafood though, so I'm thinking we would be more inclined towards breakfast the most if they offer it.

Mickey's Backyard BBQ
We did this in 2007 and the kids had a great time...they had fun dancing and interacting with the characters. The food was good-standard hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken, ribs, etc. All you can eat, beer & wine included. Brandon loved it because they had all you can eat popsicles for the kids...think he ate 5 lol. It woud be a fun place to celebrate birthdays also. Only downside-if it's cold-you are eating outside on picnic tables in a pavillion. It was very chilly when it got dark this year-the coldest Thanksgiving we've spent at Disney for the past 6 years. I'm hoping next year will be much warmer!!

We will do a character meal or 2-love Chef Mickey's breakfast or Best Friend's breakfast at the Poly. We'll definately do the Poly breakfast next year because Connor caught a stomach bug and we had to cancel that one this year. We usually always do Crystal Palace also-either breakfast or dinner.

Counting down the days until next year's trip!!
Old 11-28-2012, 09:54 AM   #206
DisneyBarlans
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgansmom2000 View Post
We're big foodies (as you may be able to tell by our chubbiness ). DH is more adventurous than me, but I can always find something I'd like to try or already like.

I definitely want to try Teppan Edo (probably for dinner). We usually do Morocco for lunch (the gyros, OMG) and Morgan has a turkey leg, so I'd like to do Teppan Edo for a dinner.

CRT is a tradition for us. Usually a weekday morning first thing.

Be Our Guest is a definite. Probably the night we do CRT.

Morgan really wants to try Tony's, she must have a little Italian in her somewhere our bloodlines.

I've never done Akershus, so that's a possibility.

I'd love to try SciFi too.

We've done all the AK restaurants, so we'd probably plan a resort meal whichever day we do AK. Has anyone done the Barbecue?

If I had my way, we'd be on our way to Orlando right now (stupid Nature's Classroom!) for the week.

Ok, I saw BBQ last week and was thinking Backyard BBQ-hence my earlier post lol.

The BBQ place at AK is good-we always eat there for lunch at AK. Usually dinner at Rainforest-which is fun, yummy, and on the dining plan now.

Tony's for me is just ok-and I'm not a picky eater. Cute restaurant, great location-but not a very large menu...literally 1 page for dinner with like 4 entrees. We ate there this year and a couple of years ago and I'm thinking we'll wait a while before we eat there again. For Italian next year I'm thinking Tutto Italia. Had Via Napoli the past 2 years and it was good-just want something a little bit nicer with more variety.

We have never tried Sci-Fi-heard mixed reviews. I would be up for trying it if "the group" is going...I think it looks cute.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:04 AM   #207
mommy2mrb

thanks for the review Anne! so happy you will be coming next year too!

so how were the crowds?
we are excited to try BoG for lunch and dinner!

I figure I'm celebrating my bday everywhere we eat...hey you only turn 50 once right and will proudly wear my bday button too!

Old 11-28-2012, 10:26 AM   #208
DisneyBarlans
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2mrb View Post
thanks for the review Anne! so happy you will be coming next year too!

so how were the crowds?
we are excited to try BoG for lunch and dinner!

I figure I'm celebrating my bday everywhere we eat...hey you only turn 50 once right and will proudly wear my bday button too!
The crowds were ok...not too bad until Wednesday before Thanksgiving. MK was PACKED that Wednesday. We definately need to check out the unofficial guide website for crowd levels and try to make our dining/park touring plans based on that. We always get park hopper, but generally like to go to the park we're eating at.

I don't blame you-I would wear it everywhere!! Troy's birthday is in November, so we always celebrate it at Disney. Sometimes he wears the button...especially to the tequila bar in Mexico.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:03 PM   #209
morgansmom2000
DIS Veteran

Yes, that's the BBQ I meant. Flame Tree is pretty much a given for lunch on our AK day

Thanks for the reviews. I'm really looking forward to BOG!
Old 11-28-2012, 12:11 PM   #210
mommy2mrb

I figured through that weekend would be pretty crowded...we will be staying until Dec 6 so hoping it will get a bit better that week! do you subscribe to the touring plans sites? I'll have the premier AP since we are doing DLR next year a couple times too, will have PH with that, but we don't usually hop unless its absolutely necessary!

my bday is in Sept but figure its close enough , tell Troy we can wear our buttons together!

we ate at Flame tree last time and really liked it! was nice it wasn't another fried meal!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: