Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2012, 09:22 AM   #151
mommy2mrb
Mama to a Princess - But I'm a Scrap Princess
But you wouldn't need the clothes if you had the hot man

Shawna's DH Bruce is doing a some research on a place for all who are making it down to WDW during Thanksgiving next year for us all to have dinner together that day....will keep everyone updated on what he finds!
he is looking for places that everyone will pay their own way so there won't be any problems if someone has to back out later on!

mommy2mrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:18 AM   #152
morgansmom2000
DIS Veteran

Oh that's a neat idea, but my DH won't go for it. We'll find a character meal somewhere, if we're around (we may fly home that night).
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-12-2012, 08:07 PM   #153
makewifehappy
Disney husband who pleases her..

Greetings one and all, I'm so glad to come on board within this posting thread, I do enjoy a good story that at sometime will have a happy ending.

For those that don't know me, I would happen to be MickeyTeacher's (also known as Shawna) DH that was mentioned in mommy2mrb's post from before. I consider myself a deprived child, as my parent's are one of those people that 'just don't get it' when it comes to WDW. : Oh well, that's just the way some people are.

The beginning of the research has started. Two phone calls to WDW dining, with mixed results. The first call responded to a long wait on hold, which meant that I needed to hang up to call back later. The second call allowed me to talk to a real person, who didn't understand why I wasn't doing more research sooner. (Of course, she got her years mixed up, and didn't realize I said 2013, and thought this was for 2012)

So, as I spoke to the person on the phone, she recommended that I call each restaurant one at a time and get an understanding of their reservation maximum's, as well as what they could do to satisfy a request such as this.

(Hey, it was a Sunday night when I made this call, so I'll give them props for at least trying to answer the question.)

Which brought me to emailing DVC to ask them questions about my request. Always worked before, might work this time.

That being said, here's some information.

Dining locations have a maximum number of guests that they will serve as a group through the Walt Disney World reservation system:
* Chef Mickey's - Maximum of 24 guests
* 'Ohana's - Maximum of 30 guests.
* 1900 Park Fair - Maximum of 30 guests.
* Cape May Cafe - Maximum of 30 guests.
* Whispering Canyon Cafe - Maximum of 30 guests, parties of 18 or more are only served their Signature Skillet
* Trail's End - Maximum of 20 guests.

Now, out of those, only 'Ohana's is strict on that number. Any of the other restaurants will allow pre-arrangements to be made for parties larger than the listed number. That means that at each location, we might be able to get a back room or something like that, but the problem with that is that everyone would have to pay upfront in order to get the room, but I do plan on researching this more than I already have.

I'll continue the research for options, as I'm not done yet. The California Grill is getting a major facelift before the 2012 holiday season, and I know there is a side room there, as well.

MickeyTeacher and I will be attending MNSSHP and Food and Wine, arriving 60 days from tonight for an adult's only weekend. (DS and DD are on their own..... with grandma and grandpa) While down there, I plan on picking the minds of WDW cast members for other ideas, and then more research for trip #2 during Thanksgiving. (This time, with DS and DD)

With everything that I've laid out of the table so far, I need some feedback as to what you've read so far, what thoughts you guys have, the winning lottery numbers, recommendations for other restaurants to check, input for those who have actually set up large groups in the past, and anything else creative you can think up.

Obviously, the winning lottery numbers would make this whole process a lot easier. Just sayin'...

DVC Members since June 2009 - Bay Lake Towers

DL 1977 Off Property 1988 and 1993 AS-Music 1998 (honeymoon) DLand 2001 WDW & DCL 2004 (Contemporary/Eastern Caribbean) DCL Summer 2006 (Western Caribbean) AS-Sports December 2006 Pop and AS-Movies June 2008 POR Oct 2008 POFQ Dec 2008 Pop 2009 Feb 2009 POR June 2009 BLT October 2009 Pop/BLT/WL/AKL June 2010 WL Oct 2010 CS Nov 2010 BLT April 2011 Saratoga Springs Nov 2012 BLT Nov 2013 AKL June 2014
makewifehappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:17 PM   #154
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Bruce, we did Ohana and Cape May Cafe a few years ago with the scrap group from here. Ohana was our biggest party at 24, It went so smoothly!! While I'm not a huge fan of Ohana it was by far the easiest meal we planned with that group. BTW, we did Breakfast.
The room space is such that it can accomodate a large group with ease, Cape May was too. I could see how 1900 would be tight, the tables aren't really set up well for a big party, you would be more than likely split up. Ohana had us all at one long table.

They will also give you a choice (or at least they used to) of the earliest table seating or the lastest for that meal wave. We usually picked the earliest since I was really the only late riser.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:18 PM   #155
makewifehappy
Disney husband who pleases her..

Greetings, Buffy. I hear you're name all of the time. Besides that, I have no idea who you are....

I guess this does lead us to figure out the main question out of all of this - how many folks are interested in signing in to this wonderful adventure? It'll affect the questions I ask in October, when I pester various folks around the parks and restaurants...

Signing off for the night.

DVC Members since June 2009 - Bay Lake Towers

DL 1977 Off Property 1988 and 1993 AS-Music 1998 (honeymoon) DLand 2001 WDW & DCL 2004 (Contemporary/Eastern Caribbean) DCL Summer 2006 (Western Caribbean) AS-Sports December 2006 Pop and AS-Movies June 2008 POR Oct 2008 POFQ Dec 2008 Pop 2009 Feb 2009 POR June 2009 BLT October 2009 Pop/BLT/WL/AKL June 2010 WL Oct 2010 CS Nov 2010 BLT April 2011 Saratoga Springs Nov 2012 BLT Nov 2013 AKL June 2014
makewifehappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:36 PM   #156
JJ&JHsmom
DIS Veteran

Please count Julia and I in for Thanksgiving Dinner and thank you for doing the research! We are looking forward to meeting everyone!
Old 08-21-2012, 11:12 AM   #157
mommy2mrb

we are home from our southern tour and will get caught up on my threads soon, but wanted to touch base here!

thank you Bruce for taking this big project on! know you like a challenge of research and know you will do a great job!

Megan and I are in for the meal

Old 08-24-2012, 08:13 AM   #158
JJ&JHsmom
DIS Veteran

Since so many of us are planning to stay at AoA I thought I would share some pics and our thoughts from when we explored.

The Cars Section is really cool! We loved that most of the major characters are represented and the theming of the buildings adds a nice back drop for the whole area. The Cozy Cone Pool is really nice too!

I loved the colors in the Lion King Section. Again the theming of the buildings just adds to the overall feel of the area. Julia had to strike the perfect pose with Zazu.

The Little Mermaid Section is so close to opening, but still fenced in so we couldn't get too close. We can't wait to stay here next year!

We walked along the back side of the resort and the backs of the buildings have character "sketches" on them. Really neat to see. There were also little plaques with facts on them along the way. Each section had facts about the animation or movie. We did not go near the Nemo pool as it is fenced in and did not want to create any problems. The music is loud, but it is at most of the pools, it was really busy there too!

We stopped in Food Court and since I was a little hungry I got the make your own salad. They add your choices of veggies and meats, it was really good and refreshing on such a hot day!

We decided to take a cab back to ASSp, the cast members were really friendly and we got to chatting with a couple. They encouraged Julia to try to draw a character on one of the many boards set up in the area. They all really love the resort and are happy to be working there.

We really are excited to stay there and meet up with everyone.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:35 AM   #159
morgansmom2000
DIS Veteran

Oooh, I can't wait to stay there next year!
Old 08-24-2012, 10:01 AM   #160
mommy2mrb

thanks for taking the time to check out the resort for us Cassey! it looks so FUN! can't wait to be there with everyone next year and especially our bunk mates for the 5 nights

cool they have the drawing area in the lobby....is it sort of like going to Animators Academy?

Old 08-24-2012, 11:31 AM   #161
JJ&JHsmom
DIS Veteran

The area is outside of the lobby, in the covered area by bell services. They have artist easels set up(I think there were 5 or six of them) and step by step on how to draw some of the characters. It was cute and I think a great way for kids to pass the time either waiting for a cab, DME bus or parents checking in luggage. I wish I had snapped a picture, but I promised Julia I would not go overboard with the camera this trip!
Old 08-24-2012, 03:43 PM   #162
mommy2mrb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ&JHsmom View Post
The area is outside of the lobby, in the covered area by bell services. They have artist easels set up(I think there were 5 or six of them) and step by step on how to draw some of the characters. It was cute and I think a great way for kids to pass the time either waiting for a cab, DME bus or parents checking in luggage. I wish I had snapped a picture, but I promised Julia I would not go overboard with the camera this trip!
thanks, will definately be checking that out! about the camera, Megan is getting the same way with "really mom ANOTHER photo" so now I take more without her in them

Old 08-30-2012, 08:01 AM   #163
morgansmom2000
DIS Veteran

So, I talked to DH. He's not as completely opposed to the group meal as I thought he would be (he's painfully shy). So, we're a strong maybe. That may change as his brother and their family may be meeting us there as well (they live in Texas, and we don't see them much, especially for Thanksgiving, so we may have to eat with them), but put us down as possibly interested, please and thank you.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:21 AM   #164
mommy2mrb

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgansmom2000 View Post
So, I talked to DH. He's not as completely opposed to the group meal as I thought he would be (he's painfully shy). So, we're a strong maybe. That may change as his brother and their family may be meeting us there as well (they live in Texas, and we don't see them much, especially for Thanksgiving, so we may have to eat with them), but put us down as possibly interested, please and thank you.
that would be great Jennifer! you could invite your family also! tell your DH we don't bite

Old 08-30-2012, 04:19 PM   #165
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by makewifehappy View Post
Greetings, Buffy. I hear you're name all of the time. Besides that, I have no idea who you are....

I guess this does lead us to figure out the main question out of all of this - how many folks are interested in signing in to this wonderful adventure? It'll affect the questions I ask in October, when I pester various folks around the parks and restaurants...

Signing off for the night.
Just coming back here. So, I'm saying hey to the hubby!!
You are a brave man planing this big adventure! I give you props!

Tell your wonderful wife I said hi!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: