Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2011, 12:17 PM   #1
Malefi_Stitch
Mouseketeer

Question HELP!!! Early Ticket Pick-up with Package

Hi, everyone! I'm hoping my fellow DISers can shed some light on my predicament for me. I'm at a loss as to what to do...

Background: Our upcoming vacation is for my sister's 8th grade graduation present from my parents (she wanted DH and I to go too), but she thinks it's only for the usual week at my parent's timeshare (7/17-7/24). My parents are surprising her, though, with 3 extra days on property and since her favorite animal is the zebra, we figured the AKL would be perfect. I told my family that I could help plan the vacation, so I booked 2 rooms at the AKL concierge level for us for 3 nights (7/24-7/27) through Dreams Unlimited.

For this vacation, I figured instead of booking a room only reservation since we needed park passes anyway, I would book a package (with no dining) that way we could use the passes leading up to and while staying on property. BIG MISTAKE. This is my 1st time booking a package with passes; I booked packages several times through Dreams Unlimited before but we had AP. I thought the passes would come with the mailed itinerary or there'd be vouchers we could use to pick them up whenever (since they're already paid for). When the itineraries arrived in the mail last week, I noticed no sign of passes or vouchers and read in the booklet that they'll be available upon check-in.

After I for what seemed like an eternity, I asked our agent what could be done because they knew we'd be there prior, which is why we purchased 7-day park hoppers. They apologized for not realizing our plans and suggested things that all involved either spending more money to upgrade the passes or buying additional ones. That's not feasible in our budget, so I searched online and came across the "early ticket pick-up" option at Guest Relations, but this is only for up to 3 days in advance. I made dinner reservations in the parks at the 180-day mark for that week thinking we'd have them no problem, so we actually need them starting 6 days in advance of check-in...

I even tried calling WDW to see if I could get help from a CM directly. The woman I spoke to was no help either and was firm in their policy stating no tickets can be picked up prior to the start of the reservation. I even mentioned the "early ticket pick-up" option several times, but she still said that's not possible with a package and that I'd have to contact Dreams Unlimited again to have them work it out. I'm thinking about calling back later to see if another CM will be more helpful but I'm out of ideas. I told my mom about this, but we haven't yet told my dad. If you have a father as stressed out as mine, then you understand.

Has this happened to anyone and how did you resolve it? Any advice or suggestions are much appreciated. I'm seriously kicking myself for not even thinking of it waaayyy before...I'm always on top of everything. DH and I are also in the middle of planning an out-of-state move, which will be starting the day immediately AFTER we come back from vacation. I must be crazy...

Thank you so much!

~Kristin

2007 Vistana Villages (June) | 2008 Vistana Villages (June) | 2009 All-Star Sports (Jan) | 2009 All-Star Sports, Poly, GF (June) | 2009 All-Star Music (Dec) | 2010 All-Star Movies (Feb) | 2010 Pop Century (June) | 2011 Vistana Villages, AKL (July) | 2013 Pop Century (September) | 2014 Beach Club, BLT (June)

Malefi_Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:26 PM   #2
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Bottom line.. yes you can do early ticket pick up. I can't remember how early exactly but we picked up ours 3 days before our package started. It can be done at any Guest Relations. We used the one in Downtown Disney

ETA and I have seen many others say they've done it as well. OH NO.. I just reread your post. I am sorry.. I don't think you can do it 6 days prior.
pigletto is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-03-2011, 12:45 PM   #3
Echo queen
I like the idea of being close to the action
I had to buy another piece of luggage today and shoes and a floppy hat
The camping trip got a little hairy

I hope dreams can help you.

Echo queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:46 PM   #4
Rach78
Mouseketeer

Hi,
I am really sorry to hear about this as it just recently happened to me. I booked our dream holiday to florida for next year, a package for a week at disney with dp and 14 day tickets as we are going out the week before and staying off site but wanted to use our tickets that week too. I only realized after booking that we couldn't get tickets. After a frantic phone call to disney where I was told there was NO WAY of picking up tickets early, I asked to speak to guest relations in America (we are in Britain). They were reluctant to put me through at first but I insisted and eventually we spoke to someone who confirmed that yes we could get them three days before. You need a barcode that you can print of your reservation nearer the time. Now we are actually going out 9 days before so not that helpful! We also e-mailed Disney with this info and received an e-mail back stating that yes we could pick our tickets up early, they did not mention only three days before just that it was possible to get them early and that we were to contact them closer to the trip. I still dont think we will get them any earlier than the three days to be honest but I will try. I was so dissapointed at this and felt it was not made clear at all. Also you can still use the tickets when you leave the resort so why not before? It really makes no sense and seems to have caught alot of people out. I really hope you get somewhere with this, good luck and let us know what happens.
Rach x
Rach78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:00 PM   #5
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

From the ticket sticky posted by Cheshire Figment (who is a WDW ticketing CM):

Quote:
. Picking up Package Tickets Prior To Start Of Package

In cases where Walt Disney World Resort Guests would like to begin using their Package Tickets prior to the day of check-in (up to three days in advance), the Guests will be directed to visit any Theme Park or DTD Guest Relations location and request Early Ticket Pick-Up. (Note this cannot be done at a water park.)

It is only valid for people with packages at a Walt Disney World owned and operated Resort. You can be staying off-property at the time you pick up the tickets. Note that if you have a package which includes Dining, although you can pick up your tickets early you cannot get access to the Dining until you have actually checked in to your Resort.

There is a possibility that if your package and the stay prior to the package are at the same Resort that you will be able to get the tickets at the Resort and not have to go to a Park Guest Relations Office.

And the tickets issued will be valid for the entire stay; they will not receive valid tickets when they actually check-in to their resort. There is a strong possibility that the tickets you have received prior to check-in cannot be added to your KTTW on or after check-in.

I would suggest you copy down the following information if you are planning to upgrade promotional tickets. If the person in the window is hesitant to upgrade these promotional tickets, ask them go go into The Hub >> WDW >> Work >> Ticketing >> Processes & Business Rules >> Early Ticket Pickup For Resort Packages where they will see the procedure.
From this (especially considering this is the information FROM Disney themselves) you would only be able to pick the tickets up 3 days before arrival. So, I would look at other options on fixing the situation at hand, including possibly canceling your current package, booking room only, and then ordering tickets elsewhere.

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

LilyWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:38 PM   #6
POOHsie
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't advise cancelling the current package. Not this close to arrival. I don't know what type of package the OP got, which she stated was not a dining package. However, couldn't she could keep her reservation but cut back her package ticket purchase to one-day tickets for all, instead of 7-day tickets? Since it is so close to arrival, there would probably be a penalty, but it would free up her budget so she could purchase the 7-day tickets separately prior to her reservation. She could save the one-day tickets for a later trip and use them to upgrade from (they don't expire if not used). Maybe this could work?
POOHsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 02:03 PM   #7
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by POOHsie View Post
I wouldn't advise cancelling the current package. Not this close to arrival. I don't know what type of package the OP got, which she stated was not a dining package. However, couldn't she could keep her reservation but cut back her package ticket purchase to one-day tickets for all, instead of 7-day tickets? Since it is so close to arrival, there would probably be a penalty, but it would free up her budget so she could purchase the 7-day tickets separately prior to her reservation. She could save the one-day tickets for a later trip and use them to upgrade from (they don't expire if not used). Maybe this could work?
You may be right... I missed the dates somehow.

The OP needs to contact the travel agent again and find out exactly what she CAN do. However, I don't really think there is a chance she will be allowed to pick up the tickets so far in advance.

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

LilyWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:36 PM   #8
purple figment
DIS Veteran

You'll have to contact Dreams Unlimited because they own your package reservation. If anything can be done it will have to be through them.

To the UK poster who wanted to know why she couldn't pick up her tickets 9 days early - the Travel Agency you used (Virgin, Dreams Unlimited, Walt Disney Travel Co, etc) owns your package. They'll wait until very close to your check in date to transmit the information to Disney - probably a few days before you arrive. Thus the resort won't have the information and won't be able to issue your tickets any earlier than 3 days in advance.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:48 PM   #9
Cafeen
DIS Veteran

Without canceling the package, the best bet may be to downgrade the tix down to 1 day base. Keep them and don't use them. Then buy 7 day whatevers from whereever to use for this trip. Make sure to ask about change fees first though!

You could then (conceivably) use the 1 day base tix for future trips (upgrading to whatever you need).

I'd first ask about removing the tickets all together without canceling your current reservation. If that doesn't work, then see about downgrading the package ones.

Next Trip: NOT Solo... 10/17-10/27 @ Pop/CBR split. This time with Brother, Sister-in-Law, Nephew, and Mom (well, at least mostly not solo.)
TRs: Learning to NOT Photograph Fireworks Behind Trees (Sept 2012 PTR (no TR... yet?)
New Camera? Sounds like a perfect excuse for another Disney trip! (Sept 2011 PTR/TR)
Cafeen takes it slow in Sept... (Sept 2010) || Daddy for a week... - (Sept 2009)
Cafeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:20 AM   #10
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.

If your order or last change was before June 12, any further changes to tickets will result in your having to pay more to match today's ticket prices.

(Or get less of a refund if you shortened the tickets; no change is returned for tickets shortened after they are printed and handed to you and there may be a $50. per room change fee if package tickets are shortened before you get there.)
Old 08-16-2011, 01:58 PM   #11
Echo queen
I like the idea of being close to the action
I had to buy another piece of luggage today and shoes and a floppy hat
The camping trip got a little hairy

Picked up tickets early today.

I successfully picked up my tickets early three days before my package started at downtown Disney first I went to the marketplace they sent me down to the west side and I picked them up right at the Disney quest guest relations window. They could not print the ticket so they sent me down to Disney quest. There were no problems. It did take a few minutes but it was taken care of. Thank you. And good luck to all.

Echo queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:20 PM   #12
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo queen View Post
I successfully picked up my tickets early three days before my package started at downtown Disney first I went to the marketplace they sent me down to the west side and I picked them up right at the Disney quest guest relations window. They could not print the ticket so they sent me down to Disney quest. There were no problems. It did take a few minutes but it was taken care of. Thank you. And good luck to all.
Glad it worked out for you! This is how we did it as well. We handled it all at the Marketplace location, but had to do the actual pick up of the tickets at the Westside location.
pigletto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:30 PM   #13
javamommy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach78 View Post
Hi,
I am really sorry to hear about this as it just recently happened to me. I booked our dream holiday to florida for next year, a package for a week at disney with dp and 14 day tickets as we are going out the week before and staying off site but wanted to use our tickets that week too. I only realized after booking that we couldn't get tickets. After a frantic phone call to disney where I was told there was NO WAY of picking up tickets early, I asked to speak to guest relations in America (we are in Britain). They were reluctant to put me through at first but I insisted and eventually we spoke to someone who confirmed that yes we could get them three days before. You need a barcode that you can print of your reservation nearer the time. Now we are actually going out 9 days before so not that helpful! We also e-mailed Disney with this info and received an e-mail back stating that yes we could pick our tickets up early, they did not mention only three days before just that it was possible to get them early and that we were to contact them closer to the trip. I still dont think we will get them any earlier than the three days to be honest but I will try. I was so dissapointed at this and felt it was not made clear at all. Also you can still use the tickets when you leave the resort so why not before? It really makes no sense and seems to have caught alot of people out. I really hope you get somewhere with this, good luck and let us know what happens.
Rach x
Would you mind posting a copy of the email you received? Thanks!
javamommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:30 PM   #14
javamommy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Yay! So happy for you!!!!
javamommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:23 PM   #15
DisneyBamaFan
Alabama - 2009 National Champions

Quote:
Thank you for the update. We leave Saturday and will be picking up our tickets on the 25th for a package starting on the 28th.
DisneyBamaFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: