Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2011, 11:13 AM   #1
jazzyjess
Earning My Ears

Boma Review

Just back from a 4-day trip to WDW on the DDP.

My husband, 4 year old daughter and I had dinner at Boma. This was our 2nd time to Boma (first time was in 2005) and we loved it again!

My only complaint? It was CROWDED!!!!! Luckily we were seated in the back of the restaurant against the windows, but I noted that in the centre of the restuarant the tables are so close together.

I would LOVE to find a recipe for Bobotie - it was amazing! My daughter loved the salads - especially the chick pea and bean salad and the Israeli couscous salad - we eat this at home so it was familiar to her.

The nut-crusted salmon was also incredible in flavour but slightly overcooked - I guess it comes with the territory of sitting under a warming light.

I was shocked at the number of people (adults) getting the macaroni and cheese and the chicken fingers. Why go to an ethnic buffet if you are not going to eat the ethnic foods?!

The banana bread pudding and vanilla sauce was the best dessert I have ever tasted.

I loved that there were so many selections and some fresh fruit as well. We arrived hungry (on purpose!) and didn't leave disappointed!
jazzyjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 02:50 PM   #2
natsiswdw
Mouseketeer

I can't wait to try Boma in Sept!!!!! Thanks for the update and warning of crowds
natsiswdw is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-03-2011, 03:18 PM   #3
cam&phoebsmom
counting down the days until our next trip...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzyjess View Post
I was shocked at the number of people (adults) getting the macaroni and cheese and the chicken fingers. Why go to an ethnic buffet if you are not going to eat the ethnic foods?!
well all those kids that we read about on the Dis who only eat 4 foods (chicken fingers, mac and cheese, buttered noodles, and french fries) must eventually grow up and eat the same things when they get older, LOL.

We loved Boma on our last trip and have it planned again this one. It was my son's favorite and the one place he mentions going back to. Glad you had a wonderful experience!

Come check it out!
Pilgrims On The Move-A Thanksgiving Pre-Trip Report
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2764939
cam&phoebsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 06:01 PM   #4
ciera321
DIS Veteran

Jazzyjess - Glad you liked Boma - We LOVE it!!! Here's the recipe you wanted.

http://allears.net/din/rec_bob.htm

ciera321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:52 AM   #5
jazzyjess
Earning My Ears

thank you! I found a few more recipes on line with a little less sugar - that was my husband's one complaint, that it was too sweet.
jazzyjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:58 AM   #6
bicker
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Boma is not just an ethnic buffet, but also the most mainstream restaurant readily accessible to folks who choose to stay at AKL solely because they like the idea of seeing live animals outside their hotel room window.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 07:06 AM   #7
JLCJMC
Mouseketeer

I have been to Boma many times, with both friends and family and it has never once disappointed. So glad to hear it is as wonderful as ever.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:09 AM   #8
DVCconvert
DIS Veteran

" over crowded" and "noisy" sum up about 95% of all the places to eat at WDW. But I agree that at BOMA the seats nearest the windows are better than in the main part of the place.

DVCconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:54 PM   #9
bigal'sdaughter
Mouseketeer

Thanks! We are looking forward to trying it this fall! Thanks for the tip about the window seats!
Old 07-04-2011, 02:14 PM   #10
MickeyNicki
It is pretty darn sad when a valet picks you out as a big Boma eater

Quote:

The banana bread pudding and vanilla sauce was the best dessert I have ever tasted.
I can answer this...we had no idea Boma dinner would have such a sweet flavor to it. All the foods had a heavy cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg, sweet dessert like taste and it didnt go well with us so we tried to fill up on the kids selections and of course that fantastic bread pudding.
MickeyNicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:44 PM   #11
DizFan101
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the review!
was wondering about this restaurant and just booked my adr for this restaurant!!!
Old 08-06-2011, 09:01 AM   #12
chrish1972
Earning My Ears

We have eaten at Bona's many times during disney trips and has always been our favorite dining location. In response to your request for recipes if you ask the waiters @ Bomas for them they will gladly find the ones you want and have them emailed to you. We did this in 2006 with some of our favs and when we got home they were waiting for us.
chrish1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:22 AM   #13
Bellamouse
DIS Veteran

DH and I love Boma too!!! But we always go to DW with our friends who are super picky eaters. We always want to go to Boma and while we have tried to book our friends into another restaurant while we're at Boma (don't want to inflict our tastes/choices on them), they always want to stay with us (which is fine), so they just choose to eat the "kid food" while we eat the fabulous, international, flavorful African inspired food! So my comment is just to say, maybe those you saw were there with other adults who do eat ethnic and they just didn't want to break up the parties....

But thanks for the great review! Glad to hear it's still good I also love the bobotie - had it for the first time at the F/W festival many years ago and then was thrilled when Boma had it on their regular menu! Do a google search for it - there are tons of recipes. I make it every now and again here at home too.

Makes me kind of regret not putting Boma on this year's plan - our trip is in October! I had to cut it in favor of some new places but I'm hoping that's not a mistake!
Bellamouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:58 AM   #14
SYLVESTER7577
RADIATOR MAN

Talking Missing napkins

We ate at Boma last fall and I wanted to pass on this story. We were seated and the waitress took our drink order and we went to the buffet. When we arrived back to the table the waitress did at that same time. She noticed that she forgot to place napkins and was appologizing when a nearby table told all of us that the napkins were there but the table next to use took them to sneek some deserts to go when they left. Yes the deserts were that good as was the differnt foods offered. And yes the window seats are far better
SYLVESTER7577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 02:39 PM   #15
Disney owl
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the review

JUNE 1996 & JUNE 1998 JUNE 2005 DLP - Camp Davy Crockett
AUGUST 2000 & OCT 2002 SEPT 2008 DLP - Offsite
JUNE 2001 AUGUST 2003 & 2007, SEPT2010 WDW - Offsite
Disney owl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: