Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2012, 04:40 PM   #1
cooniez
Mouseketeer

Stroller lock that actually works?

Hi all! We'll be leaving this Saturday for So. Cal (at the parks June 11-16) and I still haven't purchased a lock for DD's stroller. When we went in 2010 I had a Graco that only cost me $50, but I love our CityMini and it cost quite a bit more. lol

Can anyone recommend a stroller lock that actually works and that's not more trouble than it's worth?
cooniez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:45 PM   #2
nannyz
DIS Veteran

I'm not sure you can lock strollers because CM's need to be able to move them around.
nannyz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-04-2012, 04:47 PM   #3
cooniez
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannyz View Post
I'm not sure you can lock strollers because CM's need to be able to move them around.
I didn't think we could either, but I've read previous threads where posters have said as long as the stroller locks to itself/its own wheels, etc. that it was acceptable. I could be wrong though as I have not had time to thoroughly research it.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:52 PM   #4
CalvaryMike
DIS Veteran

As long as you just lock up the wheels, you'll be fine. Just get a bike lock and don't waste your money on a stroller lock. Those things don't last. Strollers do get stolen at DL and especially in downtown DL.
CalvaryMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:34 PM   #5
cooniez
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalvaryMike View Post
As long as you just lock up the wheels, you'll be fine. Just get a bike lock and don't waste your money on a stroller lock. Those things don't last. Strollers do get stolen at DL and especially in downtown DL.
Thanks for the idea and not bashing me for wanting to lock my stroller. As much as I want to trust people I'm sure strollers get stolen...even at DL.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:00 PM   #6
aluckyduck
Earning My Ears

We tried bringing a bike lock through security and they told us to return it to our car. (We didn't though, we hid it under baby.) So we didn't use it after all.

So hide it well.
aluckyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:04 PM   #7
cooniez
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aluckyduck View Post
We tried bringing a bike lock through security and they told us to return it to our car. (We didn't though, we hid it under baby.) So we didn't use it after all.

So hide it well.
Oh wow, I didn't realize they were phohibited; I just thought they were frowned upon. Thanks for the info. It looks like the only 2 options are to hope they don't notice if we bring a bike lock in or hope our CM doesn't get stolen.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:00 AM   #8
3Minnies1Mickey
Just wanted to add, this is no longer a rumor

You can't lock your stroller TO anything....which is why the CM asked you to not bring it in. I know others have used the bike lock through the back wheels so you can't roll the stroller (CM can pick it up and move it), so I'm not sure if they are prohibited or discouraged and that particular CM doesn't know the difference.

Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Handsome Prince
Me(34) DH(36) DD(12) DD(8) DD(6) DS(5)
Disneyland: many times as a kid * 10/05 * 12/07 * 9/09 * 10/09 * 12/09 * 6/10 *1/13*12/13
Walt Disney World: 9/11 2 weeks at BCV!!!
3Minnies1Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:11 AM   #9
cpster
Mouseketeer

We have this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ms_ohs_product

We brought it into the park last July without any problems.
cpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:25 AM   #10
larina
DIS Veteran

I totally get not wanting your stroller stolen, but I always feel bad for the CMs that have to move strollers when I see these threads. Like its not enough of a pain already to try to move that many strollers when people are pressuring them to hurry up. Add the lock, and the fact that they have to treat one stroller special (pick it up off the ground an move it, maybe with stuff in it) because of the lock, and it just seems like too much. Again, I know nobody wants to lose their good stroller...
larina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:47 AM   #11
jilld11
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larina View Post
I totally get not wanting your stroller stolen, but I always feel bad for the CMs that have to move strollers when I see these threads. Like its not enough of a pain already to try to move that many strollers when people are pressuring them to hurry up. Add the lock, and the fact that they have to treat one stroller special (pick it up off the ground an move it, maybe with stuff in it) because of the lock, and it just seems like too much. Again, I know nobody wants to lose their good stroller...
jilld11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:49 AM   #12
bakerudall
Real Boy

Here's something I'm going to try next year with our nice double stroller:

Wrap a large portion of the frame (up to the hand grips) in electrical tape, and make an "X" on the sun shade with a couple pieces of duct tape. No one will touch that thing.

I learned this trick when I used to bike the streets of New York. I loved it when the teenagers would make fun of my bike, which was tightly wrapped with black electrical tape around each part of the frame. It was a high-quality mountain bike, but everyone though it was a piece of junk. No theft.

Regarding the stroller idea, the black tape peels off easily and does not leave the residue that duct tape would. The duct tape "X" would not stick well to the poly-fabric of the shade, but would give the appearance of a tear, and would remove easily after the trip as well.
bakerudall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:11 AM   #13
hlbtimes2
Stretch that spine out big and tall!
Oh, you arent paying? Dang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerudall View Post
Regarding the stroller idea, the black tape peels off easily and does not leave the residue that duct tape would. The duct tape "X" would not stick well to the poly-fabric of the shade, but would give the appearance of a tear, and would remove easily after the trip as well.

Good idea. But, I would be a little worried about the sun making the tape extra sticky and leaving a mess behind. I think I'd be tempted to stick something to the back of the tape, on the majority of the stick surface, turning it into a giant bandaid to limit the amount the amount of glue that actually comes in contact with the fabric.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:29 AM   #14
BayAreaMom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpster View Post
We have this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ms_ohs_product

We brought it into the park last July without any problems.
I would agree a simple, thin cable bike lock with a combo lock may be easiest.
For some trips last year I bought the BuggyGuard stroller lock and it broke on me- waste of $$

I don't have wheels that are open enough to run the cable lock through them so I can't use a lock to lock up the wheels. But I will say that doing this is just like putting on a brake- the stroller can't be pushed. So it's not that different for CMs who are moving strollers. The no-no is locking the stroller to a fixed object.
BayAreaMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:44 AM   #15
bakerudall
Real Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlbtimes2 View Post
Good idea. But, I would be a little worried about the sun making the tape extra sticky and leaving a mess behind. I think I'd be tempted to stick something to the back of the tape, on the majority of the stick surface, turning it into a giant bandaid to limit the amount the amount of glue that actually comes in contact with the fabric.
That's the great thing about electrical tape--it has almost no sticky stuff. It only grips as a wrap. I like your idea about the altering the duct tape on the cover, though.
bakerudall is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: