Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2011, 07:51 PM   #16
All7OfUs
We too are so very NOT into traipsing through the dark when a bucket will do just great
What a fun way to meet new folks and say howdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWJonasGirl View Post
Your trip report sounda amazing!! Love the name!!
It was an amazing trip in every way possible!! Glad you jumped on board- it's great to have you!

All7OfUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:52 PM   #17
DizNee Luver
Luver of all things Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by All7OfUs View Post
How awesome to get to know you a bit! Let's think about sneaking out for coffee sometime soon! I'm pretty flexible.

I love getting to know other DISers, and have made some VERY close friends along the way- in fact, my last trip to WDW was with a friend (maybe you 'know' her- maroo who hangs on the WISH Trippers threads a lot) I met right here on the DIS. We just had a BIG PNW DISMeet in Salem at the Reed Opera House, and can certainly arrange another; I know 4 of us who would def. be there!!

Anyway, you DO sound like a busy mom who has a big heart!! But still has the urge to play and be young at heart! It's a privelege to know you!
I tend to stick to the DL threads & TR, since I've never ventured anywhere but DL....lol
I went to the DISabilities thread once & won't do that again....couldn't believe how rude some of the posters were...it's almost like they get a thrill of berating others.

If you ever do another get together here in town....let me know!!
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE
10 of Us Summer Trip~2010: HERE 25th Anniv.TR~2009: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013, 2014 WDW: 2013

DizNee Luver is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-28-2011, 08:13 PM   #18
All7OfUs
We too are so very NOT into traipsing through the dark when a bucket will do just great

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizNee Luver View Post
I tend to stick to the DL threads & TR, since I've never ventured anywhere but DL....lol
I went to the DISabilities thread once & won't do that again....couldn't believe how rude some of the posters were...it's almost like they get a thrill of berating others.

If you ever do another get together here in town....let me know!!
I'm the same way; I spend 98% of my time on the WDW TR threads because that's where most of my homies hang out. We laugh and joke a lot over there, and poke fun at each other, but when tough times roll around, we stick together tighter than glue.

I've been to the Community Boards and the TP&A threads, but it's a brutal world over there. Here it's about telling our stories and making friendships.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:54 PM   #19
WDWJonasGirl
Mouseketeer/Directioner

I subscribed.

Kaitlin: Lover of 5 Seconds of Summer, One Direction, Jonas, and Concerts
WDW: 5/03, 4/06, 12/06, 7/09, 8/10, 6/14, 7/14 DLR: Too Many To Count DCL: 1/07, 7/09, 8/11, 8/12, 6/14 DLP: 6/13
WDWJonasGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:43 PM   #20
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

I'm in. Sounds like a special trip.
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:06 AM   #21
All7OfUs

Quote:
I subscribed.
So glad you're here!! Come back and say howdy often!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoden39 View Post
I'm in. Sounds like a special trip.
I think I might recognize your screen name from the WDW side, no? A very big welcome to you! It was a very special trip, and I'm pleased to be sharing it with you!

Old 06-29-2011, 02:50 PM   #22
Happy 2 B Me
I have ears --just not Disney Ears.

Hi there I am looking forward to your "Pee before Pooh" trip report.

I totally understand traveling with Lou Gherig's---husband was first told he had that in late 1992 and only had 1 year to 1 1/2 years to live. Well guess he proved the Doctor's wrong. He does have ALS but for what ever reason he is one of the VERY few that can live to old age with this god awful disease. They are finding out so much about ALS now except cause and cure. They did find that maybe 1% of 1% of ALS patients average 20-22 years after diagnosed. ( Mayo clinic agreed with " ALL" the other Dr's opinions. Oh, ya we went to a few just wanted one to tell me it was not ALS. Back then the only information I was able to get on ALS was via a teaching manual for nurses. Since we donate nicely to the ALS of NW-- we are sent information all the time. There are learning programs, get togethers, fund raisers, support groups etc. Your Aunt can get the same without donation if she lets them know she would like information. The MD foundation also will "GIVE" I think 2k each year to help your Aunt live a better life. Can be alert systems, phone, electric wheelchair, anything that helps Aunt live with ALS. We have not used but did sign up in case ever a time Insurance or Medicare did not cover an item.

You are a wonderful niece and daughter. I am going to enjoy reading this trip report. Sounds like it is going to be the type that I will hate to have end.

Not to rush you but I am WAITING to read more . Indulge me pretty please.

Happy 2 B Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:05 PM   #23
kaoden39
Hugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by All7OfUs View Post
So glad you're here!! Come back and say howdy often!

I think I might recognize your screen name from the WDW side, no? A very big welcome to you! It was a very special trip, and I'm pleased to be sharing it with you!

Quite possibly I do visit a few threads over there. I made friends with some members through my time on the boards and I love visiting the WDW side. I hope to go to WDW in the next couple of years.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:27 PM   #24
All7OfUs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy 2 B Me View Post
Hi there I am looking forward to your "Pee before Pooh" trip report.

I totally understand traveling with Lou Gherig's---husband was first told he had that in late 1992 and only had 1 year to 1 1/2 years to live. Well guess he proved the Doctor's wrong. He does have ALS but for what ever reason he is one of the VERY few that can live to old age with this god awful disease. They are finding out so much about ALS now except cause and cure. They did find that maybe 1% of 1% of ALS patients average 20-22 years after diagnosed. ( Mayo clinic agreed with " ALL" the other Dr's opinions. Oh, ya we went to a few just wanted one to tell me it was not ALS. Back then the only information I was able to get on ALS was via a teaching manual for nurses. Since we donate nicely to the ALS of NW-- we are sent information all the time. There are learning programs, get togethers, fund raisers, support groups etc. Your Aunt can get the same without donation if she lets them know she would like information. The MD foundation also will "GIVE" I think 2k each year to help your Aunt live a better life. Can be alert systems, phone, electric wheelchair, anything that helps Aunt live with ALS. We have not used but did sign up in case ever a time Insurance or Medicare did not cover an item.

You are a wonderful niece and daughter. I am going to enjoy reading this trip report. Sounds like it is going to be the type that I will hate to have end.

Not to rush you but I am WAITING to read more . Indulge me pretty please.

First of all, WELCOME!! It's great to have another PNWer along with us!

Thanks for all the great info too!! I do know that she is VERY heavily involved with her local ALS Chapter/group, and has already been given an electric wheelchair that's worth something like $22,000! They feel very welcomed and cared for by the folks they've met there. I don't know a lot about the progression of her case, except that she's gone from a walker to a wheelchair full time in about a year. She will get a feeding tube next month, as it just tires her out too much to eat now. And that will certainly enter into the TR soon.

I have the next chapter written, but need to upload photos. Hopefully soon

Quote:
Quite possibly I do visit a few threads over there. I made friends with some members through my time on the boards and I love visiting the WDW side. I hope to go to WDW in the next couple of years.
I thought I'd "seen" you before. I do hope you can get to Orlando soon, just like DLR, it has some unique things very much worth visiting!

Old 06-29-2011, 08:03 PM   #25
All7OfUs

Enter the Villian

Throughout my flight I was full of angst at what this trip might be. I had been warned that DA’s health has recently been quite rapidly declining,g and I expected to see her totally unable to do any care for herself whatsoever. That ended up only being partially true.

The travel itself was completely uneventful, so I won’t bore you with the details of my microbag of 5 peanuts, the chatterbox next to me, or the toilet that didn’t work in the rear of the aircraft. Suffice it to say, I landed safely and was good to go.

Enter The Villian.

Villians take on many forms-this one takes the shape of a step uncle whom our family lovingly calls “DonkeyMan” in code. Without taking up pages and pages of rant, let’s just say he is toxic on every level. He is the kind of person who thinks you are a complete idiot and totally unable to live up to his expectations or knowledge base. He preaches to the choir all day long, publically berates anyone he can, and is simply irritating. Here is one example: About an hour before I was ready to leave for on the 28th, he says, “When will the real Liesa show up?” I asked what he meant, and he replied, “I see someone else in there, and I just wondered when the real you would shine through.” Ummmmmmm, okaaaay. I again said, “What do you mean by that?” and he said, “Well, you just think about that.” Whatever, dude.

Before we left he called up my mom and reamed her out over how little we knew about the handicapped, how incompetent we were going to be at caring for her, the car we had rented is WAY too small (only to offer theirs after we paid another $100 to upgrade), we knew NOTHING about handicapped rooms, blah, blah, blah… The morning we left, he made sure to suck up over 2 hours showing us how to put a transport chair in the trunk, how to roll out her shower mat, telling us to make sure her Ensure was cold, etc..., etc…, etc… Generally, I consider myself a pretty intelligent woman, and I understand he just wanted her to be well taken care of, but this tipped the scale into just plain offensive. I’ll stop there. It was great to roll out of the driveway at 8:45- a half hour ahead of our original goal of 9:15!! Good riddance.

McDonald’s coffee with added senior discount, was a welcome breakfast, and we made pretty good time racing down up I-5 at nearly 80!! Holy CRAP they drive fast in So. Cal!! I was seeking thrills, but wanted the safer variety. On a track. With reliable brakes. I did earn the bragging rights of NOT being flipped off once though, nor did I have any accidents along the way. Yay for me!

Soon we entered Anaheim proper which looked absolutely NOTHING like it did in 1986 when I worked there as a CM at the Blue Bayou. I may as well have been on the moon. In some ways it was rather nice, as it was kind of like being in a brand new place, at least to me. Gone was the sign of my childhood- you know the huge, iconic “DISNEYLAND” one? I was a teensy bit melancholy at that, but quickly brushed it off as I almost creamed a few peds trying to cross Katella. Dang, no points today. But I did find the Anabella after having to flip a U-turn because we didn’t Google before we left. And that sounds like a rather good jingle, does it not?

Check in was flawless and our hotel was WAY above and beyond what we had ever hoped for. It was completely perfect for all of our, and most importantly, Aunt Cherrie’s needs. The shower was truly a roll in, the toilet was higher where she needed it (you are now about to enter a crash course on all things handicapped- does this remind you of someone?), and glory be! there was a fridge to keep the Ensure cold. The only beef I have with this place is the $12 parking charge. I had just paid a flipping $150 for a hotel room and they want to exact more? Oh brother! We dumped our stuff, and made our first of 4 million “visits”. I think we made it all the way to Harbor Blvd. before someone said, “Guess what…” again.

What we didn’t anticipate was a LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG walk to the park entrances. Past here:

I had asked repeatedly about walking distance to and from the hotel, but this was pretty far while pushing a chair. Nevertheless, it was a beautiful walk under the jacaranda trees

and we marveled that we were actually here together

about to embark on a journey of a million smiles.

Up next: Hey! That’s a $15 savings!

Old 06-29-2011, 10:34 PM   #26
kaoden39
Hugs

That is a nice walkway isn't it? But, wow what a walk.

Your uncle sounds like a relative of mine, I think every family has one. When we went for the first time again after a decade I was amazed at the changes. It is something to see isn't it? I kind of miss the old set up I think it was less confusing.

Oh and before I forget $15 to park at your hotel? Do they offer a free shuttle? I think it is terrible that all the hotels seem to charge for parking. And if you drive to the park there is another parking fee unless you have the premium AP. It can really rack up.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:59 PM   #27
WDWJonasGirl
Mouseketeer/Directioner

Loved the update!!

Kaitlin: Lover of 5 Seconds of Summer, One Direction, Jonas, and Concerts
WDW: 5/03, 4/06, 12/06, 7/09, 8/10, 6/14, 7/14 DLR: Too Many To Count DCL: 1/07, 7/09, 8/11, 8/12, 6/14 DLP: 6/13
WDWJonasGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:42 PM   #28
DizNee Luver
Luver of all things Disney!

It can be quite a walk, but at least it's a beautiful one!! Usually pretty quiet too......totally opposite of walking on Harbor Blvd.....noise, noise, noise!!

LVE the World of Disney Store....so that gave me a big smile to see the picture!!
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE
10 of Us Summer Trip~2010: HERE 25th Anniv.TR~2009: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013, 2014 WDW: 2013

DizNee Luver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:59 AM   #29
Happy 2 B Me
I have ears --just not Disney Ears.

Poor ole step- uncle. The comment towards you was a bit strange. Even though my husband is a lot older then I am ( just a few more years till social security. This should give an idea of my age) he does no do or say some of the stuff older people do. Well most time and if he does I tell him to quit acting "OLD". Wonder if old people just don't give a heck.

I have to say on behalf of step-uncle and your aunts care. I totally understand. As a care giver for so long I have a few issues such as no one can take care of husband like I do and the dreaded what if he is having a bad day and no one can understand his speech. LOL even when husband was in nursing home for a few months getting rehab I made sure they knew how I did things LOL what a gumba I can be LOL. But I do understand what he might be thinking.

The walk path sure did look nice. Did you pass Candy Cane inn on way to park? Almost looks like that walk way to.

Looking forward to rest of TR
Happy 2 B Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:10 PM   #30
All7OfUs

Quote:
That is a nice walkway isn't it? But, wow what a walk.

Your uncle sounds like a relative of mine, I think every family has one. When we went for the first time again after a decade I was amazed at the changes. It is something to see isn't it? I kind of miss the old set up I think it was less confusing.

Oh and before I forget $15 to park at your hotel? Do they offer a free shuttle? I think it is terrible that all the hotels seem to charge for parking. And if you drive to the park there is another parking fee unless you have the premium AP. It can really rack up.

In hindsight, I think we went the wrong way.... we could have entered on Harbor, but instead went down the walkway putting us on the OTHER side of DTD, past PP. Ah well... .live and learn. We weren't going commando on this trip, so it didn't matter, except, well... I don't want to get ahead of myself.

yes, the old set up was WAY less confusing! At least to me. Granted the main lot on Harbor was closed and everyone was being made to park in the Toy Story lot and bussed in. We found that out the next morning...

Nothing peeves me more than having to pay extra for parking! Especially since it was one of the nicer (ie. more expensive) places.

Quote:
Loved the update!!
So glad you are enjoying it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizNee Luver View Post
It can be quite a walk, but at least it's a beautiful one!! Usually pretty quiet too......totally opposite of walking on Harbor Blvd.....noise, noise, noise!!

LVE the World of Disney Store....so that gave me a big smile to see the picture!!
And the weather was perfect too, which was a dazzling bonus! And yes, there was only a few other people on that walkway, which made me think... hmmm... I wonder if we really took the shortest route? Longer and quiet, or noisy and quick... those are the choices.

We did pop in a bit, but later on. I'll get to that later. They certainly pack a lot in there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy 2 B Me View Post
Poor ole step- uncle. The comment towards you was a bit strange. Even though my husband is a lot older then I am ( just a few more years till social security. This should give an idea of my age) he does no do or say some of the stuff older people do. Well most time and if he does I tell him to quit acting "OLD". Wonder if old people just don't give a heck.

I have to say on behalf of step-uncle and your aunts care. I totally understand. As a care giver for so long I have a few issues such as no one can take care of husband like I do and the dreaded what if he is having a bad day and no one can understand his speech. LOL even when husband was in nursing home for a few months getting rehab I made sure they knew how I did things LOL what a gumba I can be LOL. But I do understand what he might be thinking.

The walk path sure did look nice. Did you pass Candy Cane inn on way to park? Almost looks like that walk way to.

Looking forward to rest of TR
I totally get that there are some things that only he could do, and that's the way it should be, but he was like this before too, and really had little to do with only caring for cherrie. Here's another example of his rude behavior... his parting shot to me as we were leaving his house on Tuesday? "Have a nice life.". Yeah, nice.

Her speech is getting really hard to understand. We learned to interpret pretty well after a couple days of listening, but did have to have her repeat things once in a while; I think that is one of the harder things to see go. sniff, sniff!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: