Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2011, 12:31 PM   #1
MickeyHereWeCome!
DIS Veteran

Can itunes apps work on a non-ipad tablet?

My ds has a birthday coming up soon, and the only thing he wants is an ipad. That's not going to happen, unless I come across a great deal on Craigslist!

I was browsing to see what else was out there. He wants something bigger than an iTouch, and his main goal in life right now is playing Angry Birds. I've got an ipad, and he's always on it, so it might be nice to get him something of his own to play on.

There are many "inexpensive" tablets out there, so I guess that could be an option. I know it's not an iPad, so anything will be an adjustment (we only own apple products now). He would really only play games. I know you get what you pay for, but I'm thinking that, maybe, for his purpose, this could be an alternative.

So, I guess my big question is...can you put itunes apps on a regular tablet? Do they basically all work the same way? He would only be playing games and watching movies. I have never considered a non-apple ipod etc., but am fishing for a cheaper alternative since it's all he wants

Animal Kingdom 2002
All Star Movies 2004
All Star Movies October 2006
Animal Kingdom Lodge January 2009
Offsite Surprise Trip June 2010
Surprise Trip July 2012, Bonnet Creek/AKL
MickeyHereWeCome! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:46 PM   #2
elgerber
Sometimes you gotta bite the bullet & see a movie alone
Likes to grill year round

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyHereWeCome! View Post
My ds has a birthday coming up soon, and the only thing he wants is an ipad. That's not going to happen, unless I come across a great deal on Craigslist!

I was browsing to see what else was out there. He wants something bigger than an iTouch, and his main goal in life right now is playing Angry Birds. I've got an ipad, and he's always on it, so it might be nice to get him something of his own to play on.

There are many "inexpensive" tablets out there, so I guess that could be an option. I know it's not an iPad, so anything will be an adjustment (we only own apple products now). He would really only play games. I know you get what you pay for, but I'm thinking that, maybe, for his purpose, this could be an alternative.

So, I guess my big question is...can you put itunes apps on a regular tablet? Do they basically all work the same way? He would only be playing games and watching movies. I have never considered a non-apple ipod etc., but am fishing for a cheaper alternative since it's all he wants
I have an Ipad, so I can't help you much with other tablets, but I can tell you, you cannot put Itunes apps on another tablet. There are some android based tablets, and you can get Angry Birds and other games for the android platform. I don't know much about the other tablets though, as far as how well they work or the pricing.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-28-2011, 12:49 PM   #3
momto2inKC
DIS Veteran

No, iTunes will not work with it. But each tablet has a marketplace to buy aps that will work for it. My daughter has one and has found a ton of aps for hers.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:58 PM   #4
PrinceCharmingsMom
DIS Veteran

The nook color does apps and has angry birds...they also have lots of interactive books for children where they read it to them...lots of fun things...i got a nook color for me for school and because it's basically a tablet and at a great price...runs alot of apps, browses web, facebook, email, etc...might want to check on that...

PrinceCharmingsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:38 PM   #5
RitaE
DIS Veteran

No - but any decent Android tablet will have plenty of games for him.

Check out the Amazon Android Marketplace if you want to get an idea of what will be available. They even have a free app of the day there.

http://www.amazon.com/mobile-apps/b/...ode=2350149011
RitaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:43 PM   #6
sksjasams
DIS Veteran

Another tablet question..sorry

do tablets have built-in wi-fi? or do you have to pay a monthly data fee? or do you only have internet access in a wi-fi hot spot or at home (router)?

thank you!!
sksjasams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:26 PM   #7
elgerber
Sometimes you gotta bite the bullet & see a movie alone
Likes to grill year round

Quote:
Originally Posted by sksjasams View Post

do tablets have built-in wi-fi? or do you have to pay a monthly data fee? or do you only have internet access in a wi-fi hot spot or at home (router)?

thank you!!

The Ipad has built in Wi-fi, I would guess all others do also. There is no monthly fees if you are using wi-fi. If you sign up for a service with the tablet, then you would pay that monthly fee.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:50 PM   #8
crazelion
Form feet and legs...form arms and body...and I'll form...THE HEAD!
Why did the monsters at the end of "Voltron" always get killed by the Blazing Sword?

Quote:

thank you!!
You can get wi-fi only andriod tablets.

the best one right now is a rooted nook color.

But you do know t hat he play angry birds in google chrome right.

I keep here rumors that amazon suppose have a tablet coming out soon. That is one I am waiting on.

Thank You GumpyPirate
crazelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:57 PM   #9
momto2inKC
DIS Veteran

Quote:

thank you!!
The one we have has wi-fi, so as long as my daughter uses it at home or somewhere with a hot spot it works.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:45 PM   #10
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
his main goal in life right now is playing Angry Birds.
Here you go - play for free on your PC:

http://chrome.angrybirds.com/
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:12 AM   #11
sksjasams
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto2inKC View Post
The one we have has wi-fi, so as long as my daughter uses it at home or somewhere with a hot spot it works.
I guess that was really more my question - are there any tablets that you don't need to be at home or a hot spot for that do not require a monthly fee?

Sort of built-in internet access (3g?) maybe like the kindle 3g, but an actual tablet, that would allow you to access the internet wherever you are? But with no monthly fee.

Thank you!
sksjasams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:19 AM   #12
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Sort of built-in internet access (3g?) maybe like the kindle 3g, but an actual tablet, that would allow you to access the internet wherever you are? But with no monthly fee.
I don't know of any devices, outside of the 3G Kindle, which don't charge a 3G access fee.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:14 AM   #13
MickeyHereWeCome!
DIS Veteran

Thank you all for your suggestions and advice. It's nice to know we have other options. I did find a few that had good reviews (and a few that, thanks to reviews, I learned they didn't have that app access).

Oh, and thanks for letting me know we could play Angry Birds on Chrome. I didn't know that.

If this works out, his birthday falls during our long drive out to New Orleans. So, this could really help him pass the time for the 17 hour venture! Plus, it would give us another option to entertain the kids while my daughter competes in the Junior Olympics

Animal Kingdom 2002
All Star Movies 2004
Old 06-29-2011, 11:33 AM   #14
MickeyHereWeCome!
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceCharmingsMom View Post
The nook color does apps and has angry birds...they also have lots of interactive books for children where they read it to them...lots of fun things...i got a nook color for me for school and because it's basically a tablet and at a great price...runs alot of apps, browses web, facebook, email, etc...might want to check on that...
Are you able to listen to music and watch movies with this?

Animal Kingdom 2002
All Star Movies 2004
Old 06-29-2011, 12:08 PM   #15
RitaE
DIS Veteran

I have a nook color and I currently run the stock system from the device itself but I have Android CM7 on a micro sd card - so when I boot it up with the micro sd card installed I get an Android Tablet. I like it so much that I'm going to just put the CM7 on the nook device itself as soon as I get time and quit messing around with the micro sd card. It is a little techy to set up but there's a lady here that has put together a set of You Tube videos to walk you through it.

http://www.anamardoll.com/2011/04/er...e-on-nook.html

I can watch movies, read eBooks from any vendor, buy apps from the Google Marketplace/Amazon App market ... watch netflix - load movies on there.
RitaE is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: