Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2011, 01:37 PM   #61
Disney Dreams
Proudly afflicted with TDMA!
Major pin collector in denial

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroGuy View Post
LMAUA is definitely as solid as Alice and Toad IMO. As I said a cut above Monsters Inc. Not as good as HM. I would rank it a little above Nemo Subs - another ride that I think is solid and got a bad rap because it was so highly anticipated. I would put LMAUA on the same level of quality as BLAB and Jungle Cruise - solid rides but not specactular. ....
While it's probably a discussion similar to Vanilla vs. Chocolate (as if there is even a discussion, hello, chocolate! ), I have to disagree regarding BLAB and JC. I think both are more visually and mentally appealing than LMAUA. I enjoy LMAUA and was VERY excited about it, but I don't think it compares to the last two mentioned, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pthuhges2 View Post
You can use comp FP's for non FP attractions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjackdelta View Post
Also curious about this....
If they are the ones that say, "At any attraction," yes. I think the small print excludes TSMM, but I have not had one in a long time to please don't quote me on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oumagic View Post
My theory is that they are reducing the number of fastpass tickets while they are doing the comp fastpasses.
I think what is happening at Space Mtn is guests rush to Star Tours for a fastpass. The FPs run out. So, as long as they are standing right there, they go to Space Mountain and get a FP, which consequently runs out much sooner. The flood at ST is affecting the flow at SM.
- Dreams

Disney Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:52 PM   #62
HydroGuy
The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules
Inquiring fairy minds want to know: Does Hydroguy like World of Color?

Quote:
Originally Posted by camouseketeer View Post
HG thanks for the observations.

We are on our way into the parks today!

What would your ST strategy be for offside staying, AP holders with no MM?

I have 3 mornings to visit, 2 of which are non-MM days.

I want to maximize FP collection and get a ST return time before 8pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyLL View Post
I would get ST FP right at opening on the non-MM days. Return time should be within 2 hours.

With ST it seems everyone is getting FP for it which makes the other FP rides fastpass times earlier. We had no problem with getting the ST FP 1st and then doing our normal collection of FPs through out the morning.

At rope drop the right sidewalk will be for those riding Star Tours at opening... it will feed right into the queue.

To get Star Tours FP just stay with the normal rope drop crowd.
I would agree with Andy.
DLR 07/2014 (DLH), 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
WDW 05/2013 Swan, 02/2012 CBR, 03/2011 Dolphin, 05/2008 AKL, 06/2006 FW Cabins
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
HydroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-28-2011, 01:54 PM   #63
HydroGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Dreams View Post

If they are the ones that say, "At any attraction," yes. I think the small print excludes TSMM, but I have not had one in a long time to please don't quote me on that.
Now I wish I had taken the 10 seconds to get a photo. My sole knowledge was the GCH CM who clearly told me "any ride - FP or non-DP - except WOC".
DLR 07/2014 (DLH), 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
Old 06-28-2011, 02:47 PM   #64
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

Quote:
Now I wish I had taken the 10 seconds to get a photo. My sole knowledge was the GCH CM who clearly told me "any ride - FP or non-DP - except WOC".
I didn't say onsite or closely look at the resort guests FPs. But since this promotional offer began the website has this wording.....

"Each of these Disney's FASTPASS tickets will allow a guest one (1) entrance to the Disney's FASTPASS return line of any Disney's FASTPASS attraction"

Then it goes onto say also the LMAUA.

ETA, never noticed anyone using the special resort guest passes anywhere else but did see a lady calmly protesting when she couldn't use it at WoC.
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:04 PM   #65
brenda1966
DIS Veteran

Great report Hydroguy!

Can you provide a bit more detail about seeing WoC and then the later Fantasmic?
If WoC starts at 9pm, it will end at 9:25?? Then the Fireworks will start at 9:30. Do we need to really hustle out of the WoC area and over to the gates of DL? Is there a best route to take (sounds like there's few routes in CA these days).

What time should we expect to get through the gates at DL? Should the fireworks have ended so that the train is running? OR does the train run during the fireworks? So, we then hop on the train to NOS and avoid trying to walk in that rush of people leaving the fireworks, leaving the first Fantasmic, and trying to get into late Fantasmic.

I'd like to try it this year. Last year we did the Fireworks, late Fantasmic combo and it was very difficult to get from the Hub over to Rivers of America. They held the crowd back and by the time we got there we had a standing spot at the light poles -- all the sit down was gone.
WDW: offsite 95, Oct 12; Pop Century: Nov 04, Feb 06, Dec 06, Oct 09; AS Music Oct 10, 11; CBR Oct 07, Apr 14; POR Oct 08 ~ MNSSHP Oct 07, 08, 12
Universal/IoA: Royal Pacific Resort Oct 10, 11 ~ Kennedy Space Oct 10 ~ Sea World Oct 08, 12 ~ Discovery Cove Oct 12
Next: Tokyo!!! Fall 2014! Airfare booked, planning is underway...
brenda1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:23 PM   #66
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Dreams View Post
While it's probably a discussion similar to Vanilla vs. Chocolate (as if there is even a discussion, hello, chocolate! ), I have to disagree regarding BLAB and JC. I think both are more visually and mentally appealing than LMAUA. I enjoy LMAUA and was VERY excited about it, but I don't think it compares to the last two mentioned, IMO.
My take on LMAUA is a little different and the same.

I didn't go expecting it to be thrilling like Indy or Space, those that did I think made a mistake.

I wasn't comparing it to POTC or JC. I was looking forward to riding through another classic film. Not a sort of spinoff ride like Buzz or TSMM.

I found it much better than Peter Pan, Mr. Toad ect... It shows how much further the movie ride throughs have evolved. Great AAs. Scenes that you get to slowly look at that are full of lots of details which is why I went more than one time.

I only didn't like one thing, but won't share to spoil it for others. I'm curious to see how the WDW version turns out as they tend to get a better g2 version or a cheaper g1.1 version in many cases.

FWIW as an offsite guest I was able to ride before 10am despite reports that this wasn't allowed or happening. I was in the short and constantly progressing queue sometime around 9:45 to 9:50.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:36 PM   #67
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenda1966 View Post
Great report Hydroguy!

Can you provide a bit more detail about seeing WoC and then the later Fantasmic?
If WoC starts at 9pm, it will end at 9:25?? Then the Fireworks will start at 9:30. Do we need to really hustle out of the WoC area and over to the gates of DL? Is there a best route to take (sounds like there's few routes in CA these days).
I did the same things a week ago. But didn't bother on the train because I knew it would be closed during the fireworks.

I watched purposely at the back of WoC's Paradise Park because when it ends a huge crowd leaves and it's worse since you can only go the long way around GRR. This would be the clockwise way when exiting DCA. But by beating the pack out it worked fine.

When I walked into DL just kept right until the crossing through the Main Street crowd at the end of MS. Then went through the Adventureland entrance but made an immediate right over to the Frontierland entrance. This is right after going under the Adventureland sign. Then kept right of the exiting 1st F! watchers.

I was there early enough that I considered hopping on POTC, but instead just sad on the bit of curb behind the lightowers.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:20 PM   #68
HydroGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenda1966 View Post
Great report Hydroguy!

What time should we expect to get through the gates at DL? Should the fireworks have ended so that the train is running? OR does the train run during the fireworks? So, we then hop on the train to NOS and avoid trying to walk in that rush of people leaving the fireworks, leaving the first Fantasmic, and trying to get into late Fantasmic.

I'd like to try it this year. Last year we did the Fireworks, late Fantasmic combo and it was very difficult to get from the Hub over to Rivers of America. They held the crowd back and by the time we got there we had a standing spot at the light poles -- all the sit down was gone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiingfast View Post
I did the same things a week ago. But didn't bother on the train because I knew it would be closed during the fireworks.

I watched purposely at the back of WoC's Paradise Park because when it ends a huge crowd leaves and it's worse since you can only go the long way around GRR. This would be the clockwise way when exiting DCA. But by beating the pack out it worked fine.

When I walked into DL just kept right until the crossing through the Main Street crowd at the end of MS. Then went through the Adventureland entrance but made an immediate right over to the Frontierland entrance. This is right after going under the Adventureland sign. Then kept right of the exiting 1st F! watchers.

I was there early enough that I considered hopping on POTC, but instead just sad on the bit of curb behind the lightowers.
Ski pretty much gives you the rundown. If your group is small enough it is pretty easy to make it to NOS for F! and to get a seat. Like I said I was close to center - about as good as you could get. But I was alone. My kids decided to go ride Splash. There was enough room at 10PM that if I had my full group of four that night we would have easily gotten a seat at 10PM.

I made it into DL after Magical ended (at 9:45). I came in the gate at about 9:50PM. WOC lasts 26 minutes. I diverted to my GCH room to get a sweater because it was little cool. In the end I did not use the sweater. By the time I got to DL and in the gate it was 9:50.

The walkway coming out of WOC past GRR (and the GCH entrance) is much more crowded now that the construction walls were up and 95% of the WOC traffic was going that way. It slowed things a lot getting out of DCA.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:40 PM   #69
raftislander
Mouseketeer

Quote:
o I have never ridden Matterhorn both tracks back-to-back before. Yesterday/Saturday we did it during MM. We can now say with certainty that we prefer the Tomorrowland side.

I so agree with you - there is a lot more thrill to the Tomorrowland side. This is particularly true when you ride the two sides back to back during MM. I heard Bob Gurr speak - one of the designers of the Matterhorn and the bobsleds- and he mentioned that the ride gets faster as it warms up (not sure if he meant the tracks, grease, or outdoor temperature). One afternoon, my daughter and I were forced to ride the Fantasyland side, despite lining up on the Tomorrowland side. We were pleasantly surprised at our ride - it had a lot more zip than during our MM rides. Gurr also mentioned that the replacement bobsleds did not fit the tracks as well as the originals and that is why the rider gets so bounced around inside the vehicle. I always come off of that ride bruised. Let us hope the next replacement of bobsleds fixes this problem
Old 06-28-2011, 05:57 PM   #70
farmfresh
DIS Veteran

Another question for HG...( you really do need chief disboard scout badge!) noted in your MM discussion that you mentioned you were let in to the park around 6.45am. That is early. What time did you arrive at the gates?

Or to ask this another way round - what time should we be at the security for a 7am MM? My usual plan would be about 6.25.

Thanks
farmfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:08 PM   #71
mermaidwannabe
DIS Veteran

We were there the same dates as you! Plus Sunday and Monday, which were CONSIDERABLY busier than Thurs - Sat. Funny you said that about WofC because it's our favorite thing there now. My three girls were even really impressed and loved it. We got the rail behind the yellow fire hydrant, and it was a really good spot. I was touched watching it...you know how I mean, lol. Glad you had a good time. We did too and had the best visit we've had!!
mermaidwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:43 PM   #72
disneymom23
Mouseketeer

If any of you were there last Thursday for the MM, my kids and I were the ones who opened the park. My 11 year old asked a CM if we could do it, and they said yes. I was with my 3 kids and their cousin.
disneymom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:52 PM   #73
KCmike
Never have fallen asleep on any attraction
Nothing wrong for dreaming for sure

Hydroguy you lucky lucky man. Great little report. Great insight. Wish I could be there as well.
2014 Boston/Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard
2013 Disneyland Christmas
2013 WDW, Universal, and SeaWorld with the kids and their High School Marching Band Event
2012 Back to Disneyland for a late June/Early July Vacation|2011- WDW Grand Floridian/Port Orleans Riverside |2010 - Disneyland/Monterey 20th Anniversary Day trip and 1st time to see Christmas at any park (BWPPI) 2010 - Disneyland (Grand Californian) |2009 - Disneyland/San Francisco/Monterey/ Yosemite National Park (Disneyland Hotel) |2008 - Disneyland/San Diego (Hotel Del Coronado & Hojo) |2007 - Disneyland (Fairfield Inn) |2006 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |2004 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |1996 - WDW - Dixie Landings |1993 - WDW - Offsite |1992 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee |1990 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee

Gear:Canon 60d, Canon xti, and a few lenses
KCmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:50 PM   #74
camouseketeer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I would agree with Andy.
So Peter Pan or ST fp first?

(Remember I don't have MM.)

My kids, ages 7 and 9 are telling me PP first because it's always first, but in this case I'm just not sure!
camouseketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:11 PM   #75
HydroGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by camouseketeer View Post
So Peter Pan or ST fp first?

(Remember I don't have MM.)

My kids, ages 7 and 9 are telling me PP first because it's always first, but in this case I'm just not sure!
How many total in your group? If you have another adult I would suggest sending everyone to PP and one adult to ST to get FPs. If you are there early - as in you are at the gates 30 minute before opening.

Sorry, is your day that you are asking about a Mon/Wed/Fri non-MM day for everyone? Because that changes things.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: