Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2011, 09:01 PM   #1
Sharron379
Mouseketeer

October wait times?

Hi everyone,
We are traveling to DL on Oct. 21-24! We are so excited bc this is not only our first family trip to DL, but we are suprising our boys with this trip! I am curious, how bad are the crowds and wait times during this time at DL. We have always made trips to WDW during value and high season. So we are use to the crowds, but we have never done DL. I know DL can get a little more busy bc of the higher level of locals and AP holders. What should we expect for the wait time with Star Tours, Little Mermaid, Toy Story Mania, and all of the other major rides.
Sharron379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:23 AM   #2
Sharron379
Mouseketeer

Any advice?
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-06-2011, 12:16 PM   #3
jmac323
Mouseketeer

We went to DL the last week of October (before Halloween) in 2008 and had only one wait that was 45 minutes and that was for Nemo. Which, IMO wasn't worth the wait. The other rides were awesome, walk onto a lot of them and minimal wait times for others. Oh and it was 90 degrees that week too! Have fun!!
Old 07-06-2011, 12:55 PM   #4
starshine514
DIS Veteran

Hey - we're going those exact dates, too! Hoping for moderate crowds, especially since our only full days are the weekend!
Disneyland Trips -1983, 1986, May 2011 - Desert Inn & Suites, August 2011 - Super 8 on Katella, November 2011 - Desert Inn & Suites, December 2011 - Quality Inn on Manchester, January 2012 - Desert Inn & Suites, March 2012 - Desert Inn & Suites, May 2012 - Del Sol Inn, September 2012 - Del Sol Inn, November 2012 - Del Sol Inn, January 2013 - Ramada Maingate, February 2013 - Quality Inn on Manchester, April 2013 - Del Sol Inn, May 2013 - Hojo, August 2013 - Del Sol Inn, September 2013 - Desert Inn & Suites, November 2013 (one day trip!) - Welk Resort San Diego
Disney World Trips - July 1988, January 2010 - Sheraton Vistana Resort, November 2010 (work trip - no family along) - Coronado Springs Resort
starshine514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:05 PM   #5
disneyfanzz
Mouseketeer

October 20-23, 2011 most Utah schools are out for a fall break. Many families go to Disneyland this weekend. I know we will be there.
disneyfanzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:09 PM   #6
starshine514
DIS Veteran

The Arizona schools are out a couple of weeks before that, so I didn't think early October would be any better.
Disneyland Trips -1983, 1986, May 2011 - Desert Inn & Suites, August 2011 - Super 8 on Katella, November 2011 - Desert Inn & Suites, December 2011 - Quality Inn on Manchester, January 2012 - Desert Inn & Suites, March 2012 - Desert Inn & Suites, May 2012 - Del Sol Inn, September 2012 - Del Sol Inn, November 2012 - Del Sol Inn, January 2013 - Ramada Maingate, February 2013 - Quality Inn on Manchester, April 2013 - Del Sol Inn, May 2013 - Hojo, August 2013 - Del Sol Inn, September 2013 - Desert Inn & Suites, November 2013 (one day trip!) - Welk Resort San Diego
Disney World Trips - July 1988, January 2010 - Sheraton Vistana Resort, November 2010 (work trip - no family along) - Coronado Springs Resort
starshine514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:56 PM   #7
Eeee-va
Happiest robot on Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharron379 View Post
Hi everyone,
We are traveling to DL on Oct. 21-24! We are so excited bc this is not only our first family trip to DL, but we are suprising our boys with this trip! I am curious, how bad are the crowds and wait times during this time at DL. We have always made trips to WDW during value and high season. So we are use to the crowds, but we have never done DL. I know DL can get a little more busy bc of the higher level of locals and AP holders. What should we expect for the wait time with Star Tours, Little Mermaid, Toy Story Mania, and all of the other major rides.
It sounds like you are used to busy times at WDW, so you will probably be fine. You may or may not know that DL's walkways are overall smaller, so it can FEEL more crowded if you're, say, trying to get up Main Street during fireworks. And the construction in DCA may or may not cause congestion over there; I think we'll have to wait and see.

We went mid-October last year and I was surprised by the crowds, which were higher than I'd expected. You'll have fun but I'd definitely imagine "high-season" crowds, and then you won't be disappointed if they're smaller!

The below is all speculation; overall, we won't really know how crowds are until October starts. But it sounded like you wanted some ideas, so here are mine, even though they're guesses.

Star Tours I imagine will probably still be at least 90 minutes throughout the day. If you don't want to wait, get there right at opening, and/or get a FP.

The Little Mermaid is a fast-moving line without as much repeat appeal as Star Tours (there's only one way through the ride, not 21 different "combinations", and Little Mermaid is not a thrill ride). I'm not saying people won't want to ride more than once, but the wait times seem to be approaching reasonable (I've seen reports of 15-20 minutes, but believe it or not, a lot of days in July seem to actually be less crowded than some days in October!). So I wouldn't stress TOO much about that one.

Toy Story Mania is another where it's almost always busy and there's no FP. I've heard it actually gets LESS busy later in the day. IMO if you see a 30 minute wait time, you may not do any better. But that would be the case whether the parks are jammed full or just regular busy.

The other rides in DL, reports are that Star Tours actually seems to be taking some of the audience away from them, especially in the early morning. So hopefully that trend will continue in October. In other words, the parks are busy, but a lot of the people will HOPEFULLY be on/waiting for Star Tours.

Have a great trip!
Eeee-va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:11 AM   #8
Sharron379
Mouseketeer

Thank you! My boys are huge Star Wars fans. We have gone to Star Wars weekend for the past two years (well except this year bc I just had a baby). So the new Star Wars ride and Jedi Training Academy is a must do. Does anyone know when park hours will be released? I am also guessing we can't make ADR until the end of August.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: