Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2011, 01:20 PM   #1
PeterPan&Wendy1970
Earning My Ears

Not invited to neighbor's party - advice please!

Hello everyone,
Last week we decided to throw a party on July 2nd. I've been working through a list of friends either calling or emailing including my two sets of neighbors. One set is right next to us: we can each see comings and goings of each other, the husband is very friendly and comes over to chat all the time, and the youngest daughter is at our house a LOT to play with my daughter. So, last night they throw a big party! Our other neighbors are invited...we see them there, and our kids ask why we aren't invited too...So, I'm mad. This is the same family that did not invite my daughter to a birthday party when they played together every day. I bit my tongue and life went on. Well, I am fed up now. I marched over to the husband this morning and chewed him out. He said it wasn't his fault, it was his wife's idea. I told him to snub the kids is inexcusable. I walked away and am still mad. So, now we have this party on Saturday and I don't know what to do. I want to ask the other neighbors, but now it looks like I am having this party out of spite, when we actually planned it last week I've gotten different advice, such as invite them to show you are above them etc. HELP!
Me dh ds 11 ds 9 dd 7
PeterPan&Wendy1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:23 PM   #2
mommyaof2
DIS Veteran

What a hard situation! I would invite them if it were me. I would not be like them. Just because they were rude doesn't mean that you have to be too. If they decide to come fine and if they don't fine. Show you are the bigger person. Good luck with this and I hope you have a great party regardless!

Me DH DD14 DD10

April 2007 - POFQ
April 2009 - ASMU
Next trip to DW -? none planned
mommyaof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-26-2011, 01:24 PM   #3
surfergirl602
Well you're one step ahead of me

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPan&Wendy1970 View Post
Hello everyone,
Last week we decided to throw a party on July 2nd. I've been working through a list of friends either calling or emailing including my two sets of neighbors. One set is right next to us: we can each see comings and goings of each other, the husband is very friendly and comes over to chat all the time, and the youngest daughter is at our house a LOT to play with my daughter. So, last night they throw a big party! Our other neighbors are invited...we see them there, and our kids ask why we aren't invited too...So, I'm mad. This is the same family that did not invite my daughter to a birthday party when they played together every day. I bit my tongue and life went on. Well, I am fed up now. I marched over to the husband this morning and chewed him out. He said it wasn't his fault, it was his wife's idea. I told him to snub the kids is inexcusable. I walked away and am still mad. So, now we have this party on Saturday and I don't know what to do. I want to ask the other neighbors, but now it looks like I am having this party out of spite, when we actually planned it last week I've gotten different advice, such as invite them to show you are above them etc. HELP!
Me dh ds 11 ds 9 dd 7
I would slip an invite in their mailbox.
June 2006 - off site 5th year anniversary May 2008 - POR the girls' very first trip! Aug 2009 - AKL, military homecoming trip! Sept 2009 - proud DVC owners at BLT!!! Oct 2010 AKV Mar 2012 - AOA Dec 2012 - welcome home, daddy surprise trip

My Author Blog!
https://melissamackinnon.wordpress.com
surfergirl602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:25 PM   #4
HonnyDipp
DIS Veteran

that would be my advice too. Take the high road. Invite them, let them know that you're above the pettyness. If they show, good. If they don't screw em. Just don't let them know that you're irked. Let it go. But I am curious, what's with the Mrs.?

Aug. 2003 Off Property; Nov. 14-20, 2008-Port Orleans Riverside; Sept. 2012 Free Dining @ Art of Animation
HonnyDipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:25 PM   #5
CurlyGirl
DIS Veteran

Take the high road and invite them. However, do not be surprised when they don't come after the way you treated the man. That was totally uncalled for. And don't be surprised if what you did sours the relationship between your child and theirs.

Last edited by CurlyGirl; 06-26-2011 at 01:51 PM.
CurlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:32 PM   #6
penn19
DIS Veteran

Do you WANT to invite them? If so then invite.
penn19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:41 PM   #7
southernbohemian
DIS Veteran

I'd send an invite for the daughter only. No reason to punish her because her mom is rude.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:44 PM   #8
badblackpug
If you knew her you would be shocked!

You actually marched up to the man and chewed him out because you were not invited to his party? Oh my! That is terribly rude. He is not obligated to invite you anywhere. So what? Your kids play together. You are lucky he is polite. ...and put in that situation what did you expect him to say? "we really don't care for you, but I am polite because our kids are friends?" Goodness! Considering you haven't even issued invitations fro a party that is 2 weeks away on a holiday weekend, I would skip the party altogether.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:46 PM   #9
goofy!
You have to ride a roller coaster now, nah-ne-nah-ne-boo-boo!
It has been two weeks now and my toes are only a bit chipped

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPan&Wendy1970 View Post
Hello everyone,
Me dh ds 11 ds 9 dd 7
While I can certainly understand why the Momma Bear was awakened and I would be hurt and upset if the same thing happened to me, I would not approach a neighbor and chew them out for not inviting me to their party.

Their party, their guest list. Have you checked out what the theme of the party was? Was it a work party where the other neighbors knew some of the employees? Was it a "club" or 'team" party where your kids were not on the team, but the other neighbor's kids were.

Anyway, it really does not matter as nobody has a "right" to be invited to a neighbor's party.

You said that you invited people last week, including your 2 neighbors for your party.

So, are they already invited and you want to uninvite them? If the invite has already been issued, I would suck it up and be the better person.

Otherwise, do what your heart tells you to do. It is pretty obvious this neighbor does not care to socialize with your family more than just a friendly neighbor chat on the sidewalk for one reason or another. Invite them if you want but don't feel bad if you don't want to invite them.

And use this to teach your children that we are not always entitled to be a part of everything that goes on around us. That yes, it hurts our feelings and you hope they would not treat people in the same way, but that ultimately it is the neighbor's party, thus their guest list.

I would also take a good look at ourselves and try to figure out if there was a reason we were not invited? Some people just have personality differences and that is ok. But I would be looking to see if I was being a good neighbor and not too overbearing (like demanding being invited to their parties.)
goofy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:48 PM   #10
Tink888
Wishing I Was At World Showcase

I agree with the others, take the high road and invite them.

Chances are they won't come anyway out of embarrassment (at least the wife) and you'll have shown them what class and grace looks like.

Enjoy your party
Old 06-26-2011, 01:52 PM   #11
smitch425
DIS Veteran

I think OP is past the point of the "high road"

Invite them if you wish, but if you really did what you say you did, I would not expect that they will be showing up-- invited or not.
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:52 PM   #12
msmayor
DIS Veteran

I cannot believe you chewed him out because you weren't invited. That's incredible...and extremely childish.

Complaining to him because you didn't get invited would, in my mind, put you on the automatice DO NOT invite list.
Oct 1997: All Star Sports
Oct 2000: Dixie Landings
Aug 2005: Wilderness Lodge
Aug 2008: Shades of Green...Family Grand Gathering
Aug 2010: One Day at MK - cruise stop!
Jun 2014: Boardwalk
msmayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:53 PM   #13
msmayor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink888 View Post

Chances are they won't come anyway out of embarrassment (at least the wife) and you'll have shown them what class and grace looks like.

Enjoy your party
No...showing them what class and grace looks like would have been just inviting them WITHOUT having complained that they didn't get invited to their party.
Oct 1997: All Star Sports
Oct 2000: Dixie Landings
Aug 2005: Wilderness Lodge
Aug 2008: Shades of Green...Family Grand Gathering
Aug 2010: One Day at MK - cruise stop!
Jun 2014: Boardwalk
msmayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:54 PM   #14
goofy!
You have to ride a roller coaster now, nah-ne-nah-ne-boo-boo!
It has been two weeks now and my toes are only a bit chipped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink888 View Post

Enjoy your party
That ship has already sailed if the OP really marched up to the neighbor and chewed them out for not inviting them to their party.
goofy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:58 PM   #15
Cooky
Mouseketeer

Last edited by Cooky; 08-23-2011 at 11:30 PM.
Cooky is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: