Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2011, 02:22 PM   #106
Love That Mouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencerfamilynj View Post
Thanks for the great report and especially posting the activities sheet - an extra bonus!

We're going in August and my 12 1/2 year old middle school daughter asked me how close they pay attention to the ages for the kids group activities. She is tall for her age and is worried she'll be older than everyone else in the group (doesn't want to be a baby). All her cousins are older so she is accustomed to being in a slightly older group of kids. Anyone have experiences or advise to share? Thanks.
My DS is 12 and 11 months. He just did the "teen" stuff most of the time. I think the "teen" stuff is more geared for the 13 - 15 year-olds to begin with. They never checked the age. We were even honest and told them he was 12. They told us "no problem" every time.

Any "teen" 16 or older is probably going to go on there own and not participate in organized activities.

That was our experience anyhow! DS 12 had a great time!
Old 07-03-2011, 02:28 PM   #107
Love That Mouse
Mouseketeer

Thanks everybody!

Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement!

We just arrived at SSR today after a 14 hour drive. . . . Look for a new trip report soon.

All I can say about the drive down 95. . . . It was hard not to pull of the HHI exit just to stop by and say hello. . . .Or at the very least. . . "How much to buy 200 points here. . . "
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-03-2011, 02:28 PM   #108
Spencerfamilynj
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the information. She will be thrilled. Only 34 days till we arrive - cannot wait! Happy 4th of July to everyone!
Spencerfamilynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:15 PM   #109
erikawolf2004
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

*****Final thoughts*******

I could go on and on about how much we hated checking out of HHI. Those who are worried or on the fence about going to something non-WDW. . . All I can say is reread this trip report. I'm hoping that my love of HHI comes through my words and pictures.

I went to HHI worried about my ability to "slow down". . . HHI reminded me WHY I need to slow down and relax on a vacation. It's so easy to get hooked on the "frantic" of WDW. Let's face it, WDW is a BLAST (we're heading to SSR tomorrow for a week vacation). But every now and then you need to be reminded that sometimes the best vacations are the ones where you truly just "let go" and breathe. More importantly, I think it's places like HHI that help us teach our children that it's okay to truly. . . . relax!

Thank goodness I have an amazing wife who really pushed for this vacation. It's why I love her. This was her idea and I am so glad that her inner-radar was right (as always).

Thank goodness for places like HHI! HHI keeps the "Disney Magic" while subtly reminding you to "relax" and to let the stresses of life go away. The ocean, of course, helps to relax you. But so does the easy going manner of B'Lou and his stories; the smiles and calmness of the cast members; the sights of Spanish Moss hanging off an old oak while you are involved in a great book; the smell of salt water and the marsh; and the way the sun sets over that marsh as two dolphins play in the shimmer of the water.

I still love my WDW, but I will always have a special place in my heart for our first trip to Hilton Head, Y'all![/QUOTE]

Thank you so much for your wonderful trip report! I have tears in my eyes reading your final thoughts....I can't wait until our trip to HHI next June.

Erika

erikawolf2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:37 PM   #110
chum
Your island buddy!

Super trip report.
Thanks for taking the time to put your thoughts, experiences and photos out there for us.
Sometimes a reminder of how pleasant this place can be is a good thing for someone like me.

Y'all come back now!
chum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:53 PM   #111
MinnieGi
DVC/BWV & HHI

Thanks for a great TR about one of our "homes" - we love HHI!!!! Actually we usually go Father's Day week when you were all there, but we were instead in WDW as DD's was dancing in MK's parade with Dance the World. And although it was thrilling to watch DD dance down Main St. we all missed our usual trek to HHI. There is just something very special about that resort and the whole island that we just love!!!

It was wonderful seeing all the pics and to see the new improvements - that brick fire pit is new (used to just be a fire ring on the ground) as well as the whole movie under the oaks and the breakfast. Too bad about the breakfast, it could be something really special.
8 Trips while growing up,11/94 Dixie Landings (honeymoon); 11/01 WL; 10/02 OKW; 2/03 AKL; 2/04 BWV/OKW; 2/05 AKL/BWV; 10/05 JW Marriott;1/06 WLV; 7/06 BWV; 2/07 - FW Cabins;08/07 HHI; 11/07 BWV/SSR, 06/08 - HHI, 11/08 - BWV, 06/09 - HHI, 06/10 - HHI; 12/10 Christmas at BLT; 06/11 Disney with the dance girls and DD dancing up Main St. in MK parade!!! 11/11 Thanksgiving in WDW!! 6/12 in HHI! Christmas in Disney 2013!; HHI - April 2014; and Coming UP: Thanksgiving Week 2014!
MinnieGi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:08 PM   #112
Love That Mouse
Mouseketeer

Thanks folks! Glad you enjoyed the trip report! DW and I are at SSR right now. We love this place and this trip is no different! Lots to write about in a new TR coming soon!
Old 07-07-2011, 11:20 PM   #113
staceymay00
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikawolf2004 View Post

I went to HHI worried about my ability to "slow down". . . HHI reminded me WHY I need to slow down and relax on a vacation. It's so easy to get hooked on the "frantic" of WDW. Let's face it, WDW is a BLAST (we're heading to SSR tomorrow for a week vacation). But every now and then you need to be reminded that sometimes the best vacations are the ones where you truly just "let go" and breathe. More importantly, I think it's places like HHI that help us teach our children that it's okay to truly. . . . relax!
We will be spending a week on HHI later this month. Not at the DVC resort, but we may just walk over from Shelter Cove for a Mickey bar. We have done a lot of Disney over the past few years. We've never been commando types, but still it is an active vacation which seemed to work well when our kids were younger. I am so looking forward to a relaxing week...walks on the beach whenever we'd like, not setting an alarm clock to make RD, deciding what to do and where to eat that day instead of months in advance. Can't wait! Of course I'm still looking forward to Disney later this year, but HHI will be a nice change of pace.
staceymay00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:38 PM   #114
staceymay00
DIS Veteran

Fun TR! Thanks for sharing. I will add One Hot Mama's to my list of restaurants to try.
staceymay00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:30 PM   #115
Love That Mouse
Mouseketeer

One Hot Mama's

Here's a link to One Hot Mama's http://onehotmamas.com/

Be sure to click on the "Menu" page! I'm still trying to figure out exactely HOW she makes the buns for her pulled pork sandwich. . . .Amazing!
Old 07-10-2011, 09:33 PM   #116
Love That Mouse
Mouseketeer

By the way. . . Check out the "Sunday Brunch" menu and price while you're on the website! WOW! $8.99! What a steal!

http://onehotmamas.com/
Old 07-10-2011, 09:42 PM   #117
SusieBea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love That Mouse View Post
Here's a link to One Hot Mama's http://onehotmamas.com/

Be sure to click on the "Menu" page! I'm still trying to figure out exactely HOW she makes the buns for her pulled pork sandwich. . . .Amazing!
We ate at One Hot Momma's for the first time on 7/6/2011 for a late lunch. I had high hopes from what I'd read here and because they are a part of the Serg group which operates other restaurants on the Island that we enjoy. We won't go back. The service was mediocre and inattentive at best; the food was lacking in depth (I had the pulled pork sandwich, one of their signature items; my husband had a hamburger - ok, I have to be reasonable with my expectations for that); and the dining room was dirty. We eat in that "bar-muda triangle" area frequently at Reilly's and Jump and Phil's. Momma's was a disappointment.
Off-site '75, 82, 85; 89: CBR; 92: PO: 93: Disney Inn; 94: OKW(2); 95: OKW(2); 96: HHI & OKW(2); 97: VB & OKW; 98: OKW(3); 99: OKW, DCL, & BW; 2000: OKW & VWL; 01: HHI & OKW; 02: Ft. Wild. cabins; 03: OKW & GF; 05: OKW, SSR, & Yacht Club; 06: OKW; 07: OKW; 08: Grand Californian; 09: OKW; 10: OKW(2) & OKW Grand Villa! 2011: AKV (2) & OKW (3); 2012: OKW (2) & OKW Grand Villa; 2013: OKW (3); 2014: BLT & Kidani; VGF & OKW; SSR & OKW; UPCOMING TRIPS: - 2015:
SusieBea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:15 AM   #118
supersuperwendy
any happy little thought?

What a great TR!!!

Is there an official HHI info thread? I haven't been able to find one.
Now approaching Mickey's Star Traders......DVC Trip Report 2012! <-----Click Here! Commando Club member #118
DVC Members since 2008

supersuperwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:50 AM   #119
ljcrochet
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love That Mouse View Post
Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement!

We just arrived at SSR today after a 14 hour drive. . . . Look for a new trip report soon.

All I can say about the drive down 95. . . . It was hard not to pull of the HHI exit just to stop by and say hello. . . .Or at the very least. . . "How much to buy 200 points here. . . "
Have funn at SSR and WDW.

We went to HHI in May, came home and found a 200 point resale contract in our use year. Paid $40 a point, just waiting for the closing to go through and plan our trip for next summer.
ljcrochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:15 AM   #120
Love That Mouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljcrochet View Post
Have funn at SSR and WDW.

We went to HHI in May, came home and found a 200 point resale contract in our use year. Paid $40 a point, just waiting for the closing to go through and plan our trip for next summer.

I know. . . .It is SOOOOOO tempting. . . . . A small price to pay for YEARS of great vacations!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: