Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2011, 04:48 PM   #46
dis-happy
DIS Veteran

Loving your TR! Can't wait to read more.
dis-happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:10 PM   #47
Disneymom77
Mouseketeer

Great job so far! Can't wait to hear more I can't wait to vacation at HHI again
1989 offsite, 1991 GF, 1993 CBR, 1999 CBR Honeymoon, 2004 CSR, 2007 CSR, 2009 POFQ, Sept 2009 Pop, March 2011 POP, November 2011 AKL Kidani Village, May 2012 Vero Beach, October 2012 OKW, August 2013 Kidani/OKW, April/May 2015 Vero/BCV
Disneymom77 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-27-2011, 05:22 PM   #48
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love That Mouse View Post
Of course, my favorite part of that recorded message was the part where the cast member assured us all that the ocean was, indeed, still open. . . No "closed for your future enjoyment" signs from the big guy upstairs. . . .Although an "Imagineers at Work" sign would be funny in front of the ocean now that I think about it. . . But I digress. . . .
The thought of that is hysterical! BTW, you mentioned One Hot Mamas. Did you know that the owner is one of the contestants on the Food Network Show, "Food Network Star"? She's Orchid and she seems so nice that we're considering going to her resturaunt on our next HHI trip.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:16 PM   #49
seelyt2
DIS Veteran

Am absolutely loving your TR!

Question: my DS is 14 and DD will be 10 when we go soon. I see they have activities for teens. Do they have anything for tweens? If so, are activities with the teens and tweens together or separate? DS would love to get away from DD, but of course DD will want to be DS. Gotta love it. And both of my kids are shy. Are these activities well attended?

Can't wait to here stories from B'Lou! I love ghost stories!!!!

Thanks!!!

seelyt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:40 PM   #50
SLM
DIS Veteran

We've had two wonderful stays at HHI-in fact, I'm considering selling one of our contracts and purchasing HHI. DH and I can travel off season but DD and DSiL are teachers so we need to stay in the summer if they come with us- so the 11 month window would be nice. We have a place in Ocean City and find the food/restaurants much better in quality and value in HH. And I enjoy swimming in water that isn't freezing and knocking me down if I'm not watching every second. Maybe it's the place in OC I should be selling!
I'm so glad you're enjoying your stay!
SLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:42 PM   #51
Love That Mouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
The thought of that is hysterical! BTW, you mentioned One Hot Mamas. Did you know that the owner is one of the contestants on the Food Network Show, "Food Network Star"? She's Orchid and she seems so nice that we're considering going to her resturaunt on our next HHI trip.
Yes, we did know about Orchid. She was at the restaurant the day we went, although we did not see her. I'll give you the complete review of "One Hot Mama's" is just a few posts. . . . You won't want to miss that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seelyt2 View Post
Am absolutely loving your TR!

Question: my DS is 14 and DD will be 10 when we go soon. I see they have activities for teens. Do they have anything for tweens? If so, are activities with the teens and tweens together or separate? DS would love to get away from DD, but of course DD will want to be DS. Gotta love it. And both of my kids are shy. Are these activities well attended?

Can't wait to here stories from B'Lou! I love ghost stories!!!!

Thanks!!!
To be honest, I thought the one place that HHI could improve on is their "Tween" activities. With the DS who is almost 13, a lot of the activities were either 5 - 12 or 13 - 17. He was too old to be a kid, and too young and scared to join the big kids. It didn't happen all the time, but it did happen a few times. As an example, they had a "Disney's Kid Night Out" and "Disney's Teen Night Out". So which one should he choose? Be with a BUNCH of little kids? Or BE the little kid? Again, it wasn't a huge issue at all, but it did come up a few times. He's just at that age. . . .

All of the activities seem well-attended, but not over-attended. Most of the teen stuff is unsupervised, which means pick-up games and pool games and such. While the kids stuff is almost always a supervised activity.

I'll scan the "Daily Fun Activities" sheet we received at check-in that gives ALL of the activities and their age range for you. Look for it soon!
Old 06-27-2011, 07:46 PM   #52
Love That Mouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLM View Post
We've had two wonderful stays at HHI-in fact, I'm considering selling one of our contracts and purchasing HHI. DH and I can travel off season but DD and DSiL are teachers so we need to stay in the summer if they come with us- so the 11 month window would be nice. We have a place in Ocean City and find the food/restaurants much better in quality and value in HH. And I enjoy swimming in water that isn't freezing and knocking me down if I'm not watching every second. Maybe it's the place in OC I should be selling!
I'm so glad you're enjoying your stay!
My wife and I are teachers as well, so the desire to have the 11 month window is REALLY strong. We are very limited to when we can travel. Not complaining because we love our jobs, it just the facts.

We used to go to Ocean City all the time. But to be honest, with this last trip to HHI, I think it will be a LONG time before we return to Ocean City. Besides the water temperature and the waves, I'm tired of having to hide my children's eyes at the t-shirts every time we would walk the boardwalk! Don't get me wrong, I love Thrasher Fries as much as the next person, but not the whole atmosphere. HHI is our new favorite!
Old 06-27-2011, 08:02 PM   #53
Love That Mouse
Mouseketeer

Activity Sheet! Sorry about the size. . .

I apologize up front about the size of this, but I figured some of you would want to be able to read the fine details. I also apologize for the personal notes on the sheets. But I guess you all know what night we had sloppy joes!

Enjoy!

Old 06-27-2011, 08:39 PM   #54
Love That Mouse
Mouseketeer

Day 4 - Part 1: Dolphins, Water Slides, and Putt Putt

Wednesday we decided would be our "resort day" with no trips to the beach planned. From the day we arrived at the resort we knew we wanted to try the "Dolphin Tour." DW and I just love going out on the water, but you add the possibility of seeing Flipper, and we are all in! We chose Wednesday because it is Member Day and it saved us $4/per person off the $40/per person cost (baby was free). So of course the question on everybody's mind. . . "Was it worth it?. . . Read on for the answer. . .

First, as we were heading to the dock, DS 2 decided it would be a good time to do some "posing" along the boardwalk. Here's a few photos from his "session." All credit to my DW for these shots! I think we should send them in to Disney Files magazine. . . but then again, I'm just a proud daddy!

What a HAM! If anybody reading is from Disney Files, photos are available for your magazine. . . . .

We arrived at the dock at 10:45, signed all of the paper work (just in case Flipper gets rabies and decides to attack the boat, I guess), and waited for our captain.

Shane arrived right on time and took us to our boat. We got everybody slathered in Sunscreen beforehand, got everybody safe in the boat, and headed out looking for those cute dolphins! We were NOT disappointed. The boat takes you out on Broad Creek (which is not really a creek, but rather an inlet/marsh), and then out to Calibogne Sound. At no time do you go out in the open ocean. But that's okay, Flipper likes being in the Marsh and the Sound anyway. It's safer for them there! The tour was about 100 minutes from start to finish and we LOVED every minute of it!

Shane was incredibly personable and ready to answer ANY question we may have had. It took us about 20 seconds from leaving the dock and we immediately saw 2 cute dolphins playing in Broad Creek! Too cool! They were about 3 feet from our boat and were just a delight to see! Shane kept the tour interesting and filled us with a lot of information that was really cool. Did you know there are Hammerhead sharks at Hilton Head?? How cool (as long as they are not near you). They tend to hang out in the open ocean, not where we were going, but it was still cool! I guess "Jaws" didn't affect me to much, huh!

*******We interrupt this trip report for a brief public service concerning Dolphin Tours********

Please go into ANY nature tour with a big sense of reality. You are going out into nature, not Animal Kingdom. Dolphins do not flip on command, catch fish from your hands, nor show up with a mere "whistle." You may see a BUNCH of dolphins, you may see a few. If you understand this from the beginning you will enjoy your "nature tour" so much more! Keep your expectations in line with nature and you will be much happier.

********We now return you to your regularly planned trip report**********

We saw a few dolphins and other wildlife. Just a note: it is absolutely illegal to touch the dolphins or attempt to feed the dolphins, so don't even try. Instead, just enjoy the wonder of nature. It was truly a priceless experience. Our favorite part was when the captain was able to really get the boat moving and, man, we were moving! We hit a wake and got a great splash! Nothing ridiculous, just really, really cool! My DS 12 and DS 2 were in absolute HEAVEN! Here's some pictures for you!

Look at the wind blowing through our hair. . . Okay Okay, at least the baby's hair. . .

Did we see a ton of dolphins? No. We saw about 6 of them. Did we get any pictures of dolphins? Nope, not one picture (they are way to unpredictable and fast). Did we think it was worth the money? ABSOLUTELY! Every dime of it! It was truly a family memory we will keep for a long, long time! As I said earlier, we love being out on the water. Adding dolphins only adds to the value of the boat ride. Trust us, you'll LOVE it IF you go into the tour with the right expectations. . . Expect nature to give you the show of a lifetime and it will not disappoint!
Old 06-27-2011, 08:45 PM   #55
AnnaS

The puppy has now left the building and I am exhausted
Will you be rolling?
I can't wait to try them all

Loving your trip report. Great pictures too. Your two year old is adorable. I was going to ask about your 12 yr. old and finally see a picture of him.

Thank you for taking the time and looking forward to more.

Upcoming/planned trips:
May - HH
Oct. 2015 - F&W/BCV

DCL '01 Eastern, '03 Western, '05 West Coast Cruise ºoº '07 11 N. Med. Cruise, '13 Western
WDW - CBR, POR, POP, OKW, BWV, BCV, AKV, VWL, HH & VB, SSR,
AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:34 PM   #56
VG9493
DVC Member OKW '92

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Loving your report . Can't wait for our HHI trip in August.
VG9493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:44 PM   #57
rlmas
Mouseketeer

As a relatively new DVCr (bought in Dec 2005) and a HHI newby (first visit ever in 2010 to Disney's resort). I cannot stress enough how much my family totally agrees with everything in this post. The resort is wonderful in every way. The beach house is tremendous. It has become our new favorite as well and the addonites resulted in a 100 point add-on. Last year we stopped after WDW. What a great way to recharge and experience a great change of pace. This year, we stopped on the way to WDW and 5 days on the new Dream. This as good too. Relaxing on both ends of WDW. If you are considering it, go and you will love it as well. Our two daughters 15 and 17 love it and want to go back ever year. Our problem is they want to do this in addition to everything else, not in place of it.
rlmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:14 PM   #58
El&Asmom
DIS Veteran

LOVE your TR. We went last year when our girls were 7, 4 and 18m and loved it but found it tough with the 18mo. Can't wait to go back when she is a bit older as a family. Good news is dh and I are going alone in Oct, and your TR is getting me so psyched. Can't wait for more.

3/96 Frist trip with dh. Offsite
2/05 DD1s first trip at 19 months AKL
9/06 DD2s first trip at 9 months CSR
6/07 Bought into HH DVC!
8/07 Addonitis at SSR
9/07 BWV/SSR
1/08 POR/OKW- NAVC
El&Asmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:05 AM   #59
nunzia
You can't top pigs with pigs, but you CAN top Toys with Toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
I saw Orchid mention she was from Hilton Head and wondered where she was in relation to to the resort..thanks for clearing that up and one day, DH and I need to visit this resort..sounds great
Old 06-28-2011, 10:13 AM   #60
seelyt2
DIS Veteran

Thank you so much for posting the activities and for answering my questions regarding the tween activities!!! You're amazing and I give you two thumbs up!

seelyt2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: