Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2011, 12:49 PM   #16
jecskc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwgirl03 View Post
Great start! We have been DVC members since 2006 (our home resort is Saratoga Springs) but my sister and I stayed at OKW for the first time this past March. We really liked it! I'm curious to hear how you liked the resort and the DVC experience.
We loved OKW !!! On the fourth day of our trip we scheduled a DVC tour, so when I get that update up, you will see what we thought of it. This is my pitiful effort to generate suspense. I have been reading your TR !! Love it !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyRNBSN View Post
We rented DVC points this June as well, even stayed at OKW too! we had a 2 BR Villa, building 33 for us, on turtle pond road. Love seeing the pics as they look just like our room and bring back great memories!
We loved OKW and the spacious room was such a blessing. We were way in the back and had to drive up to the main pool and the Hospitality House which was a tad inconvenient. We were glad we had a car. That resort is really spread out. But we thought it was beautiful !! Wow, it looks like we just missed you guys.

Last edited by jecskc; 06-26-2011 at 03:02 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:57 PM   #17
jecskc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimama View Post
You just got back Friday and you're starting already...you are good. I'd still be in recovery mode. I'm curious about your thought on DVC and look forward to hearing about your trip!
I tell you it was the laundry in our villa that is giving me this relaxing day. It was so nice to come home with clean laundry. Just one more to fold and it is still in the dryer, so I am up on the bed with the TV on enjoying the disboards. Back to work... and reality tomorrow
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-26-2011, 01:59 PM   #18
francis6306
DIS Veteran

YAY! Your girls are the same age difference as my two... only I'm at the beginning (3 and 2 months). Just finished my TR, so I'm out scoping the newer trips and dreaming of disney! Good trip so far!

July '14 Girl's Trip!! PTR

Mar 2014 PTR ~ Nov '12 PTR~'Dec '10:My Pretrip Report My Trip Report!~'05 Girls trip Pop Century~
'99 Magical Music Days~81-90's Various offsite/onsite trips
Old 06-26-2011, 02:23 PM   #19
jecskc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by francis6306 View Post
YAY! Your girls are the same age difference as my two... only I'm at the beginning (3 and 2 months). Just finished my TR, so I'm out scoping the newer trips and dreaming of disney! Good trip so far!
My oldest is a boy and he is eleven and my youngest is a girl and she is eight. Sometimes I am glad that I only had two, but then sometimes I yearn for the little baby days. I see a cute baby and I just want to have another one !! Thankfully, I come to my senses in time !! Those years from 14 months to about 4 years old are the hardest ones IMHO. Hang in there !! It gets easier !!

I feel like mine are the perfect age for traveling right now. They are fun and get excited about new places and things and we haven't gotten into the pouty, difficult teens, yet. I will have to get over and read your TR. I just love reading other people's TR's. It is fun to look at all of the photos and I feel like you can learn so much from other people's experiences. I hope you can get a trip planned sooner rather than later !!

Last edited by jecskc; 06-26-2011 at 02:44 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:17 PM   #20
jecskc
DIS Veteran

Day One - Part Four

After dinner the kids were dying to try out the pool slide. So we went around the corner to check it out. It turned out that because of lightening from the previous storm, that they had closed the pool. We were a little disappointed, but looked around and took some photos.

Old 06-26-2011, 04:05 PM   #21
jecskc
DIS Veteran

Day One - Part 4 - continued

A kindly CM told us that we werenít allowed in the pool area for safety reasons and we said we understood and decided to head back to the villa.

We were right across the parking area from the quiet pool and this playground.

While we were out there taking photos, it started to rain again. So we went inside and after checking out the radar, we decided that turning in early was a good idea. So I got a shower, DH poured us a glass of wine, helped me replace my pain patch and we watched Stacey for a bit and went to sleep.

Last edited by jecskc; 06-26-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:08 PM   #22
jecskc
DIS Veteran

Resort Notes

A few comments about this resort:

1. It was very spread out and lush with vegetation.

2. The shower had decent pressure, not as good as home, but good enough. hot water was plentiful.

3. Both of the TV’s were upgraded flat screens which was nice, but the channels had this strange volume thing where the sound was really low on one channel and then when you switched IT WAS REALLY LOUD.

4. The toilets were really loud when they flushed. We also experienced this at Wilderness Lodge when we stayed there in January, so maybe it was a Disney thing ?? We got used to it though.

5. LOVED having the washer and dryer in our unit. I stayed on top of it and did a load every night when we got back from the parks. So when we got home, I only had two loads to do. It was really great.

6. Our fridge randomly froze drinks in the door. I mean the bottled water that we had in the door was frozen solid. And our wine got a little slushy. DH tried to change the settings on it but it didn’t seem to help much. We were totally OK with it, because it was so hot outside that it was nice to have super cold drinks when we got back. And a Pinot Grigio wine slushy after a hot day in the parks is the complete Bomb-diggity !!

7. When you stay DVC, Mousekeeping only brings towels in the middle of your stay, so we had kind of a mess happening. Plus, I just washed towels as we needed them and we had brought some beach towels for the pool from home, so it was fine.

8. Beds were very comfy which was crucial on this trip.

9. There was something about the water that made my hair just ….. weird. I mean, I have lots of hair and it is naturally wavy. We live in South Carolina, so we are no strangers to high heat and humidity and its effect on hair, but I had the hardest time brushing out my hair after a shower. I used almost a whole bottle of that H2O conditioner that Disney leaves for you and that still didn’t work. It was just a tangled mess !! Thankfully, I had my daughter’s detangling spray. And I used a TON of it just to get a brush through my hair every day. So I didn’t really bother fixing it except when we went to California Grill. I just wore it in a pony tail the whole time.

Overall, everyone was VERY friendly and the resort was wonderful and we would definitely stay there again in a heartbeat !!
Old 06-26-2011, 05:10 PM   #23
tink,too
DIS Veteran

Loving your TR so far. We own at SSR, but haven't stayed at OKW yet - it looks great! Glad you enjoyed your stay there.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:51 PM   #25
Pixie Princess
DIS Veteran

Location: With Cinderella's mice making a new dress for Belle

That pineapple-coconut bread is the bomb! We had it at the Spirit of Aloha dinner show last Oct. I detest coconut and loved it. DD doesn't like pineapple or cocnut and even she liked it. Need to search for the recipie!
Old 06-26-2011, 07:12 PM   #26
jecskc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie Princess View Post
That pineapple-coconut bread is the bomb! We had it at the Spirit of Aloha dinner show last Oct. I detest coconut and loved it. DD doesn't like pineapple or cocnut and even she liked it. Need to search for the recipie!
It totally is the BOMB !! I don't like coconut either, but I like pineapple. I think both flavors are really subtle and that is what makes it so good. Yummmmy !! I wonder if they have the recipe on allears.net. We tried to make the cheddar cheese soup, but we used a cheddar that was too sharp and it didn't turn out as good as Le Celliers. It was still pretty good.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:58 PM   #27
jecskc
DIS Veteran

Saturday, June 18 -Day Two - Part One

We got up early on this day and ate breakfast in our villa. Our park for this day was Hollywood Studios and it had morning EMH 8:00 AM to 9:00 AM.

We have never made rope drop in all of our trips, so I was determined to make it this time. And we did !!! I know that all of the touring advice says to avoid EMH parks, but we have found that you can get so much done during morning EMH and that you can really get ahead on the fast pass times. Here is the crowd that had gathered.

DH is always our fast pass runner so he joined the TSM stampede while I took the kids to sign up for The Jedi Academy. This side of the park was really empty as most of the horde was on their way to get TSM fast passes.. I was steadily clicking away as I walked along

DS being Goofy

DD joining in

I signed the kids up for the Jedi Academy and they were in the 10:00 AM show. We were told to be there by 9:40 AM DH called and he said he was heading back our way with TSM fast passes in hand. Our return time was 10:40 AM and at this point it was only about 8:15 AM. We met up with him and went to ride Star Tours

At this point there wasnít really a wait, it was basically a walk on. The refurbed ride was awesome !! 3-D effects were much better and the ride itself was less jerky. I found that with the old ride, near the end I was feeling queasy, but this time it didnít happen. We all enjoyed it very much. We headed back towards RnR. Took more pics along the way:

Old 06-27-2011, 05:23 PM   #28
jecskc
DIS Veteran

Day Two - Part Two

On the way towards RnR, we met up with some characters that didn’t have much of a line, so we stopped to get autographs and photos

DS with Stitch who is his favorite.

DD with Donald and Daisy

DD with Stitch

And DH sneaking in to get in the action

Early morning is always a good time to see these characters in this area. Both of the kids had $50 gift cards and both of them were ready to spend it !! DS bought this silly hat and even though it was in the upper 90’s all week, he wore it quite a bit.

Back to our original mission, which was RnR.

At this point it was a little after 9:00 AM and the Standby line said 30 min. I was a little concerned about making it back to the Jedi Academy in time, so DS and I agreed that if time got too close, we would bail on the ride. DD and DH didn’t ride – not big coaster people. So we got in line and didn’t really have to worry as it only took about 20 min. I was a little worried about my back on this ride, but I just kept myself pressed back into the seat and everything was OK. Oh, and if you are curious, those pain patches were working awesome !!!

Some Photopass Photos

Last edited by jecskc; 07-01-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:15 PM   #29
Pixie Princess
DIS Veteran

Location: With Cinderella's mice making a new dress for Belle

I want you to know in a dozen or so trips to WDW I have NEVER noticed those busts. Just goes to show you, that you really gotta slow down and take in the details. Of course that is one of the things I love about Disney is I notice something new each time.

The kids have changed so much since last fall. Hate that growing up thing they do.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:21 AM   #30
jecskc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie Princess View Post
I want you to know in a dozen or so trips to WDW I have NEVER noticed those busts. Just goes to show you, that you really gotta slow down and take in the details. Of course that is one of the things I love about Disney is I notice something new each time.

The kids have changed so much since last fall. Hate that growing up thing they do.
I noticed a lot of new things this trip as well. We were less commando this time and went back and took breaks at the resort. Plus, I had that bad back thing going on, so I didn't want to over do it.

Yes, they are growing so fast. When we got to Disney, three of DS's pairs of shorts were too small and two pairs of DD's shoes were too small. They are growing sooo fast !!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: