Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





 
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2011, 07:51 PM   #151
janecat
Earning My Ears
 
janecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 18

Thanks jecskc! I may just take you up on asking questions, as my mind is starting to race with the trip coming so quickly! We are family of 5, my kids are older 21-DS,19-DS,15-DD and we are staying in a 2 bedroom/2 bath. I figured we would have plenty of room and that 2nd bathroom will certainly come in handy with my 15yr old DD and her loooong showers and being in front of the mirror! LOL We didn't get the dining plan. My thoughts were that we like to eat whenever...have picky eater in group...and really not wanting to be on a schedule. (I did place an order with Garden Grocer for some breakfast stuff, water, snacks though.) We are happy to just let things happen and relax. On a schedule 51 weeks of the year ya know. Maybe next trip we will try the dining plan. Can you recommend any particular area to request at OKW?
__________________
[/url]
janecat is offline  
Old 07-08-2011, 07:58 PM   #152
mom2munchkins
Mouseketeer
 
mom2munchkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 292

My DD is a huge fan of Irish dancers. I had heard not so great reviews of Raglan Road. I just night have to put it on the try it list! food looked yummy
__________________
Animal Kingdom Lodge September 2009

Wilderness Lodge December 2010
mom2munchkins is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-08-2011, 08:09 PM   #153
jecskc
DIS Veteran
 
jecskc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,488

Quote:
Originally Posted by janecat View Post
Thanks jecskc! I may just take you up on asking questions, as my mind is starting to race with the trip coming so quickly! We are family of 5, my kids are older 21-DS,19-DS,15-DD and we are staying in a 2 bedroom/2 bath. I figured we would have plenty of room and that 2nd bathroom will certainly come in handy with my 15yr old DD and her loooong showers and being in front of the mirror! LOL We didn't get the dining plan. My thoughts were that we like to eat whenever...have picky eater in group...and really not wanting to be on a schedule. (I did place an order with Garden Grocer for some breakfast stuff, water, snacks though.) We are happy to just let things happen and relax. On a schedule 51 weeks of the year ya know. Maybe next trip we will try the dining plan. Can you recommend any particular area to request at OKW?
You will have plenty of space with a 2 bedroom for sure. We had the one bedroom with two kids and it was plenty of space.

I have heard good things about Garden Grocer and the full kitchen that you will have will be very convenient. Definitely take advantage of Olivia's, which the the table service restaurant, and Good's To Go, which is the counter service. They both serve good food and they are close by. Also, when you stay at Old Key West, you are VERY close to Downtown Disney. Just a boat ride away to all kinds of good restaurants. We drove down so we had our car and that was very convenient. Keep in mind that when it rains, they suspend boat service and you will have to take the bus back to the resort. We always have our car with us, so we rarely use Disney transportation.

Looking at the map here

http://www.kingdom-travel.com/Walt_D...Resort_Map.pdf

I would say that the best buildings to stay in are Buildings 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 62, 63 and 64. We were staying in building 54. Which is WAAAYYYY at the back of the resort. They always have buses running which is good. But if you get stuck back there, you might have to plan ahead. As we were driving, though, there always seemed to be a bus arriving at the bus stop at the end of our road.

OKW is a very relaxing resort, I think. You and your family will really enjoy it !!

Last edited by jecskc; 07-08-2011 at 08:15 PM.
jecskc is offline  
Old 07-08-2011, 08:21 PM   #154
jecskc
DIS Veteran
 
jecskc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,488

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2munchkins View Post
My DD is a huge fan of Irish dancers. I had heard not so great reviews of Raglan Road. I just night have to put it on the try it list! food looked yummy
I have never read a bad review of Raglan Road, which is why we chose that restaurant. That and the fact that it was close to our resort. We REALLY enjoyed it. And the Irish dancers were cool. On the day we went, we were very tired from the water park and my back was killing me, but we still had a good time. We went EARLY and got seated right away. We were very pleased with it for sure.
jecskc is offline  
Old 07-08-2011, 08:28 PM   #155
Pixie Princess
DIS Veteran
 
Pixie Princess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: With Cinderella's mice making a new dress for Belle
Posts: 2,064

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecskc View Post
I've had zucchini fries, now !! I love those !! But the fried veggies at Raglan Road were green beans, carrots and broccoli. Which were just weird fried.

We loved Raglan Road. The food is kinda heavy, I guess. The Salmon was very good. Flavored very well and maybe not as heavy as DH's short ribs.
The dancers were cool and so fun to watch.

I got the 40th pin, but not the set. I figured that I still had time .... I could get it on the September/October trip.

I saw that Taylor Swift was cancelled on your facebook status. Bummer that it was rescheduled for Oct 2 !! Too bad she got sick.

It is kinda funny that your DD just naturally assumed that there was no way you were cancelling or even postponing your trip to see the concert. I plan to be right with you at Magic Kingdom that day. Gonna be a great day !! See ?? Even I don't think you will keep the tickets
I must have been typing when you posted about the DVC contract closing. Woo Hoo!! Congratulations!!!! I'm available for travel Labor Day weekend.

So I asked DD this evening whether she wanted to go to Disney or see Taylor. Without hesitation she said Disney. She didn't even ask if we could wait to go to Disney after Taylor or anything. (That would be the next discussion if she was upset about missing Taylor.) Ahhh another addict created! It turns out that Blake Shelton and the JaneDear Girls are going to play the Georgia National Fair on Oct. 8! I think we are going to shoot for that. Since the tickets were a birthday present, it is a good swap. She really likes the JaneDear girls. Maybe if she sees them live she'll be inspired to take up the fiddle..um... I mean violin.

I wasn't all that jazzed about seeing Taylor again anyway. She puts on a good show, but this year she's playing downtown as opposed to the arena near us. There have been a lot of car jacking incidents in the city, so I wasn't feeling to safe about going. I would prefer her dad take her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiecp View Post
We would definitely be eating early too, so it sounds like Raglan Road would be okay.

Thanks for the heads up that Oct. 1 is the exact anniversary. I think it's great that you have a lifelong friend to share it with! I am still very close to several of my best friends growing up and I cherish their friendship so much. Unfortunately, I am the only one of us who loves Disney, but we have started an annual trip to New Orleans (without kids), which could sort of be described as a Disney for adults.

We are going September 24 until October 1. My parents are going September 23 until September 30 because of their flights. We were going to head home on the 1st, but now I am thinking of staying another day just to be in the Magic Kingdom. We're driving so we could do it...even if we stayed off site Saturday night.

I've been watching some of the Disney programs on Netflix. I love Netflix through the Wii. I think I'll go and watch another one now. Have a great night!
Oh if you can work it out stay for the anniversary. No official celebrations have been announced, and the talk is there won't be anything big to commemorate it b/c 40 isn't a "big" anniversary like 25 or 50. Festivites or not, it will be great just to be in MK on "the" day. mimiecp, I see you're from Raleigh. My sister and cousin live in Wake Forest and the company I used to work for had a research facility in Research Triangle Park. I really like the area. I could live there, and there aren't too many places I say that about.

Besides Netflix there is a really cool thing on You Tube with Walt talking about what Epcot was supposed to be. I think it is an old episode of the Wonderful World of Disney. It is in three or four parts, and is truly fascinating. I haven't found that on Netflix, yet- it could be there. If not you should check it out on You Tube.
Pixie Princess is offline  
Old 07-08-2011, 08:29 PM   #156
janecat
Earning My Ears
 
janecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 18

Thank you so much for the info. I was under the impression that the lower numbered rooms were for DVC members, so I was figuring we would be in a room further away from hospitality house and restaurants. I guess it can't hurt to ask though. We will have a car too, so that will help getting around. Won't mind having your #54 building in the back. And I know they want to do Downtown Disney...so the boat trip will be great! (we've be to Orlando 5 times before and never did Downtown Dis) Again, thanks! Your advice/info is really appreciated!
__________________
[/url]
janecat is offline  
Old 07-08-2011, 08:53 PM   #157
jecskc
DIS Veteran
 
jecskc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,488

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie Princess View Post
I must have been typing when you posted about the DVC contract closing. Woo Hoo!! Congratulations!!!! I'm available for travel Labor Day weekend.

So I asked DD this evening whether she wanted to go to Disney or see Taylor. Without hesitation she said Disney. She didn't even ask if we could wait to go to Disney after Taylor or anything. (That would be the next discussion if she was upset about missing Taylor.) Ahhh another addict created! It turns out that Blake Shelton and the JaneDear Girls are going to play the Georgia National Fair on Oct. 8! I think we are going to shoot for that. Since the tickets were a birthday present, it is a good swap. She really likes the JaneDear girls. Maybe if she sees them live she'll be inspired to take up the fiddle..um... I mean violin.

I wasn't all that jazzed about seeing Taylor again anyway. She puts on a good show, but this year she's playing downtown as opposed to the arena near us. There have been a lot of car jacking incidents in the city, so I wasn't feeling to safe about going. I would prefer her dad take her.
Girl, we are sooo excited about DVC !! We are going to try to book a place the last four nights of the September/October trip and just let my sister and her family have the RCI place at Silver Lake. You and your DD need to come and swim with us !! Don't tempt with the Labor Day stuff, now !!

I'm not surprised that your DD chose Disney over Taylor. You have a way of reeling us all in !! I love Blake Shelton, but I don't know who JaneDear is. I don't listen to country as much as I used to. The radio stations in Columbia suck, so we listen to satellite radio in the car and the kids the like the top 20 stuff. When they aren't with me, I mostly turn the radio off and enjoy my few minutes of alone time and some peace and quiet.

My DD loves Taylor Swift, but I am not a concert person. Too many migraine triggers.
jecskc is offline  
Old 07-08-2011, 09:00 PM   #158
jecskc
DIS Veteran
 
jecskc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,488

Quote:
Originally Posted by janecat View Post
Thank you so much for the info. I was under the impression that the lower numbered rooms were for DVC members, so I was figuring we would be in a room further away from hospitality house and restaurants. I guess it can't hurt to ask though. We will have a car too, so that will help getting around. Won't mind having your #54 building in the back. And I know they want to do Downtown Disney...so the boat trip will be great! (we've be to Orlando 5 times before and never did Downtown Dis) Again, thanks! Your advice/info is really appreciated!
It is good that you will have a car. OKW is a very spread out resort. We just drove up to all of the places we wanted to get to. It was a little too far to walk, but not far to drive at all.

Downtown Disney .... we like it. It's a cool place. I know you will love it !! Bring money. Lots of it. And it is SOOO close to OKW. I think my DH even got some photos of it from a walk he took near our unit. He could see the Cirque Du Soleil building from one the paths he was on when he was out smoking one of his nasty cigars.
jecskc is offline  
Old 07-09-2011, 06:07 AM   #159
mimiecp
I already have ears.
 
mimiecp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie Princess View Post

Oh if you can work it out stay for the anniversary. No official celebrations have been announced, and the talk is there won't be anything big to commemorate it b/c 40 isn't a "big" anniversary like 25 or 50. Festivites or not, it will be great just to be in MK on "the" day. mimiecp, I see you're from Raleigh. My sister and cousin live in Wake Forest and the company I used to work for had a research facility in Research Triangle Park. I really like the area. I could live there, and there aren't too many places I say that about.

Besides Netflix there is a really cool thing on You Tube with Walt talking about what Epcot was supposed to be. I think it is an old episode of the Wonderful World of Disney. It is in three or four parts, and is truly fascinating. I haven't found that on Netflix, yet- it could be there. If not you should check it out on You Tube.
I am definitely going to look into staying one more day. I just turned 40 last year and it seemed like big milestone to me.

Raleigh is a very nice place to live. I'm a Yankee transplant from PA and my dh is from England, but we've been here since 1997 and we're here to stay. I like Wake Forest a lot; we thought of buying a house there, but stayed in Raleigh because I work downtown and I didn't want to commute that far. It's a great place to raise a family.

I will check out the YouTube video. Thanks for the tip!
__________________
Offsite 2002/Offsite 2005
POP/CSR 2009
POP for one night and CSR for five nights Sept. 2011
Had a magical trip with my kids and parents
mimiecp is offline  
Old 07-09-2011, 06:20 AM   #160
wellies
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3

It is all wrong I tried to change it yesterday, but our internet services is acting up and keeps bailing on me. This had a queen size sofa bed and a twin in the chair. I was really happy for the chair fold-out. It meant less bickering from the kids. The kids said that the beds were pretty comfortable. More so than regular pull-outs. Sorry this photo is so dark. The room itself wasn’t really dark. I guess I didn’t have the flash turned on. I am not the best photographer as you will see.
wellies is offline  
Old 07-09-2011, 06:52 AM   #161
DisneyDoc5
Disney, Dogs, Chocolate
 
DisneyDoc5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,027

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecskc View Post
Seriously, I just fished a colored pencil out of her mouth. Well, all of the little tiny pieces of it. Thanks for sharing !!
I had a dog that ate everything before, I understand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecskc View Post

“My hair is GREEN !!!” And it was a little bit. I am sure all of the blondes out there know that this can happen if you swim too much.
I am blond and use a shampoo in the summer called Malibu (ask your stylist if she can get it), it helps with the green!


Yay, paperwork is done - can't wait to hear more about your first DVC trip plans - do I sense a pre-trip report coming???

Raglan Road looked yummy!

I hope your back is feeling better - I'm a PT, so reading about your pain level is a bummer. I also have back issues (mainly scoliosis), so I can sympathize, but your situation is much more painful! Hopefully your Dr. is on top of some solutions for you

Off to walk the dog before everyone gets up!
__________________
DisneyDoc5 DS15 DS12 DD10
2006 Beach Club, 2008 Contemporary, 2008 Beach Club, 2010 Port Orleans Riverside, 2010 Polynesian, 2011 Coronado Springs, 2012 Port Orleans Riverside, 2012 Fantasy Cruise, 2012 Art of Animation, 2013 Yacht Club, 2013 Polynesian, 2014 Port Orleans Riverside, 2014 Fantasy Cruise, 2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge, 2015 Port Orleans Riverside

DisneyDoc5 is offline  
Old 07-09-2011, 07:39 AM   #162
jecskc
DIS Veteran
 
jecskc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,488

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDoc5 View Post
I had a dog that ate everything before, I understand!


I am blond and use a shampoo in the summer called Malibu (ask your stylist if she can get it), it helps with the green!


Yay, paperwork is done - can't wait to hear more about your first DVC trip plans - do I sense a pre-trip report coming???

Raglan Road looked yummy!

I hope your back is feeling better - I'm a PT, so reading about your pain level is a bummer. I also have back issues (mainly scoliosis), so I can sympathize, but your situation is much more painful! Hopefully your Dr. is on top of some solutions for you

Off to walk the dog before everyone gets up!
This dog is bad. Monumentally bad.

I'll try the Malibu if the green gets too bad.

Yes, glad the paperwork is done. Ready to make some plans !!

Yes, the back pain is a downer. I need to exercise and lose some weight. I know that would make it feel better. But It hurts to exercise. It's a vicious cycle ....
I have a doctor's appt. next week. We will see what he has to say ...
jecskc is offline  
Old 07-09-2011, 08:50 AM   #163
okw19
DIS Veteran
 
okw19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 624

I started reading this last night, and now I'm all caught up!

I'm so glad you guys loved OKW!! We used to stay there every year growing up in the 90's. I'm going in January for the first time in 6 years and we are staying there!!

I have loved reading so far! I laughed at your bathing suit comments, I have definitely witnessed the atrocities at Myrtle Beach one too many times.
Also, CONGRATS on DVC!!! That's awesome!!
__________________
Rachel
Instagram: ranrjs


okw19 is offline  
Old 07-09-2011, 11:35 AM   #164
jecskc
DIS Veteran
 
jecskc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,488

Quote:
Originally Posted by okw19 View Post
I started reading this last night, and now I'm all caught up!

I'm so glad you guys loved OKW!! We used to stay there every year growing up in the 90's. I'm going in January for the first time in 6 years and we are staying there!!

I have loved reading so far! I laughed at your bathing suit comments, I have definitely witnessed the atrocities at Myrtle Beach one too many times.
Also, CONGRATS on DVC!!! That's awesome!!
I just love the pin in your avatar !! We loved OKW for sure !! How awesome that you are going back to make some new memories !! I understand that they have redecorated all of the rooms. The one we had was really nice.

It is scary what people will wear to swim in. It is scary what people think they look good in. I know I don't look good, so I try to cover up as much as possible. We are super excited about DVC !!
jecskc is offline  
Old 07-09-2011, 11:53 AM   #165
jecskc
DIS Veteran
 
jecskc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,488

Day Six - Part Four

Day Six – Part Four
So, still in Downtown Disney. We took more Lego pictures.









Then we headed back to the resort and a glass of wine … and another painkiller. DH went outside to smoke a stinky cigar and while he was out he took some photos of the back of our unit and the sunset.















He came back in and we watched some college baseball. UNC vs. Vandy. Vandy won, which meant we played them next.

Another fun thing about this trip. DD and DS are at the age where their baby teeth were coming out like crazy. DD lost a tooth and DS lost two !! The tooth fairy was working overtime on this trip !!!!
jecskc is offline  
 



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.