Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2011, 01:39 AM   #91
valbob89
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by anna08 View Post
For example ....

But I was so hoping to meet you at a Curmudgeons meeting on a future cruise!!
and we can make matching tees to wear to dinner ... [that have some] phrase that you curmudgeons can come up with.

Please continue to make me laugh!
I didn't say I'm not a curmudgeon, just that I'm not joining. But I'll be watching. (Digs through bottom drawer looking for 40-year old gift T-shirt that says "Don't go away mad, just go away.")
valbob89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:49 AM   #92
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iankh View Post
Those aren't stuffed toys. They're familiars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibouncetoo View Post

(ONCE I came very close to bringing my stuffed Tigger with me...but to leave on the bed........)

That's no fun... besides... You know who can run quite amuck on the ship...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibouncetoo View Post

Yeh....and ask him about the REAL princesses vs. the 'wannabees'.

Quote:
Oh, yes, that's a whole other thing that really annoys me.
Don't forget the flow chart...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDSNY View Post
You're killing me! You hid it well on the Panama cruise!

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Tink rules is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-28-2011, 01:51 AM   #93
valbob89
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDSNY View Post
You're killing me! You hid it well on the Panama cruise!
It's very simple. DW gave me a mantra to repeat every time I left the cabin: "If I embarrass you, I must sleep under the sink."
Old 06-28-2011, 07:11 AM   #94
postalchick71
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by valbob89 View Post
I'll go along with pluralses. My DA (no, not dying a##, my Dear Aunt) and her kids always called the grocery store down the hill "Safeways." I think they were posessive, not plurals. See? I can complain about a complaint.

As for grammar: The Personal Navigator has the same canned superlatives about every show, every activity on every cruise (among the three, soon four ships). Why do we still see grammar, spelling and punctuation errors?

-- Curmudgeon Club-crasher Bob

P.S. My DW insists the D stands for Darling. Maybe it's Daring. We know what it'd be if she called me her CH!
I highlighted the spelling errors and showed them to Guest Services. The CM looked at me like I was crazy. She did tell me she was sorry for the inconvenience
2011-7 Night Magic(Western)
2012-7 Night Magic(Western)
2013-March 24 Dream
2014-April 12 Fantasy
postalchick71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:58 AM   #95
dylan'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by postalchick71 View Post
I highlighted the spelling errors and showed them to Guest Services. The CM looked at me like I was crazy. She did tell me she was sorry for the inconvenience
I never gave it back to them, but I sometimes make notes on my own Navigator, correcting typos and grammatical errors.... just somehow makes me feel better. I used to read them aloud to others in my cabin, but realized they had little or no appreciation for the significance.
(I think it bothered me even more to find written blunders when I sailed on Regent. I paid a lot more for those typographical errors!)

But I love DCL & I learned early on how to navigate the pitfalls and traps. It only took ONE time for me to know to avoid Deck 9 on a sunny sea day...hastened by the child who slammed into me, surprising both of us, and leaving a child sized wet stain on my clothes, not to mention a bruise. And it only took two or three times for me to learn to avoid the pictures with the captain...

19 on DCL, so far: MAGICal voyages: Jun'01(7), Oct'01(7), Jun'03(7), Nov'04(7), Jun'06(7), Jun'07(11), Jun'09(7), Apr'10(14), Jun'10(12), May'11 B2B(25), Sep'11(14); WONDERful cruises: Oct'10(3), Dec'11(7), Apr'12(15 Hawaii); 1 DREAMy cruise Mar'11; +1 FANTAStical voyage Jul'12(7)..& back to the MAGIC Sept 22th Galveston inaugural +B2B Sept. 29th, next year DS's Graduation Cruise- either the Greece Med or EBTA...tbd
dylan'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:03 PM   #96
iankh
It's never done till it's overdone

My first great DCL disappointment happened on our very first cruise. It was a 4-night on the Wonder.

I decided to go on the tour of the ship. I was rather excited as I was hoping to learn more about the framed Disney art and be afforded the opportunity to ask questions.

Silly me, silly me. I had confused this tour with a tour given by a the Chicago Architectural Foundation with a highly informed docent.

Our Disney docent was hardly decent.

It was a cast member from the overly perky cheerleader staff. I believe they are considered part of the entertainment? You know the same folks that herd you onto the buses for tours.

Anyway, I digress, I then followed her around with ship with the group where she spoke at great length about ... the carpeting. I kid you not, and I'm not exaggerating it was basically a tour of the carpeting on the Wonder.

- The manufacturing of the carpeting
- The pattern of the carpeting and what the pattern means based on the floor
- The meaning of the pattern of the carpeting
- The built in directional queues in the carpeting

She only deviated from this carpet-rich ship's tour when we were on the Promenade Deck and she addressed the paint and the seam between the forward and aft sections.

Not one mention of any of the artwork.

When we were on deck 5, I had the audacity to ask her about the Bird Alphabet prints and asked her who the artist was and whether they were originals. Those are a real favorite of mine because I think they're very well done and are whimsical had humorous.

The overly perky cast member's eye's narrowed for a split second when I could see behind her eyes that she thought I was a goon for asking such a stupid question. She then resumed her plastered-on smile, shook her head and continued to talk about the Deck 5 carpeting.

Last edited by iankh; 06-28-2011 at 06:20 PM.
iankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:13 PM   #97
iankh
It's never done till it's overdone

As I am on a roll, I'll go onto another annoyance --- Disney "Experts."

I'm not referring to the guest speakers they have from time to time, but to other guest who have decided that they are experts. I've run into them on several cruises.

Typical lair of the Disney Expert - Cove Cafe. I have found that these experts usually lurk around Cove Cafe and favor sitting on a bar stool where they can bore, excuse me, chat with whoever might saddle up to the bar for a coffee.

Typical gender the Disney Expert - Male. I'm not quite sure why, but these self-appointed experts are typically men.

If you want to spot one of these Disney Experts, the best time of day is between 2:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. I suspect this is when junior is in the pool and the wife is having herself rubbed with almond butter, seaweed and grape jelly.

They are usually blasting hot air about some piece of micro-Disneyana either about the theme parks or the ships. Though I have never heard one spout trivia about the carpeting on the ships.

But they will let you know that they have personally licked every lightbulb on Main Street and have a pair of Walt's used socks framed in their den.

Oddly enough they never seem to be very good when it comes to any knowledge about the actual films of Disney, especially anything prior to the feature length films.

iankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:35 PM   #98
cmclaura
How many more days til our next cruise?????

Quote:
Anyone think Disney should entirely do away with autograph books?!? They make the lines waaaay too long.
I've always HATED these. They're not real, kids, they're costumed people. And I've been behind the scenes at WDW in the laundry area and seen the gloves covered with ball point pen marks. Ack.

What else bothers me as a curmudgeon? People who spend thousands on the "art" at the art auctions. Really? You have to come on a cruise to show everyone else how much money and lack of sense you have?

And I hate the bingo. It's too expensive. I'd rather pay less and get some cheesy prizes than pay a fortune and not win anything. Boo yah.

YES! We are DVC Members! Since February 2009! Best thing we ever did! WONDER 1/17-20/2008 3 Night Bahamas MAGIC 1/17-24/2009 7 Night Eastern Caribbean MAGIC 1/9-16/2020 7 Night Western Caribbean MAGIC 1/8-15/2011 7 Night Western Caribbean
DREAM 12/20/2011-1/3/2012 5 Night Double Dip New Year’s Eve Bahamas DREAM 1/3-8/2012 5 Night Double Dip Back to Back Bahamas MAGIC 8/5-10/2012 5 Night NYC to Canada DREAM 1/6-10/2013 4 Night Bahamas
DREAM 1/10-13/2013 3 Night Bahamas DVC Member Cruise WDW 10/19-24/2013 Visit with Daughter in Disney College Program FANTASY 2/1-8/2014 7 Night Western Caribbean PLATINUM!!! and GRAND SLAM MEMBERS! NEXT CRUISE is DREAM 1/9/15 3 Night Bahamas and then WONDER 7/6/15 7 Night ALASKA!
cmclaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:40 PM   #99
extechie rbd/wdt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I decided to go on the tour of the ship. I was rather excited as I was hoping to learn more about the framed Disney art and be afforded the opportunity to ask questions.

Silly me, silly me. I had confused this tour with a tour given by a the Chicago Architectural Foundation with a highly informed docent.

Our Disney docent was hardly decent.
At least your able to admit your mistake.
That CM probably did her best you provide you with the information she was given. I'm sure at the end of the tour she was equally "over it" as you were!

What your Curmudgeoning report of the ship tour doesn't say is how you responded to Guest Services, nor how you asked what information the tour would provide.....
Nor any response from any feedback. Nor any comments as to how the tour could be better? (you seem particularly photographically focused, and maybe some of the tour enjoy the carpet )
I'm all for Curmudgeoning in life now, but a solution always helps everyone rather than just complaining without suggesting what "might make something better" even if that something might not change!

Just give that Hyper Cheerleader Cruise Staff Bus Pushing person a break if you can.
And even if you didn't think it was good, or what complete Disney sugary unimportant misinforming C*ap, say thanks to them personally at the end, and then say they answered everything they could, but the tour need's more information, or the tour guides need to have more training on wood paneling or pictures or marble.
I'm sure that even thou that's their job, it can be C*ap enough as it is working 70+ hours a week when just doing what your told to and no (that's what I was told to say answers).

It does mean a lot to them and did to me.

Please keep the Curmudgeoning to activities that a sole CM is not responsible for, more for the Cruise Director or DCL shoreside people that tell you what to do and what to say!

Ex Techie
extechie rbd/wdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:09 PM   #100
ibouncetoo
I get excited by the little things!
I follow directions well!!!
I'm not allowed to buy any more craft supplies till I actually MAKE something LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by anna08 View Post
For example ....

But I was so hoping to meet you at a Curmudgeons meeting on a future cruise!! We can meet in an obscure location during the sail away party (after all getting announced as "the Curmudgeon family") and we can make matching tees to wear to dinner with jean shorts that say "Don't do the Dance" or "I tip well, please don't beg" or some other cleverer phrase that you curmudgeons can come up with.

Please continue to make me laugh!
Oh, I must have one of those!

Jackie '99-01AllStar Movies 02-03Many trips DLR '03 Nov AKL/Swan 04 April POFQ Oct offsite/Dolphin 05 Jan POP/WL,3DLR Nov POFQ/Wonder/POP 06 2DLR, Nov Magic DD 07 May DLR Dec SSR/Wonder 08 April DLR May Magic-WBPC Sept DLR 09 Sept WDW/Magic-Tortola Nov DLR 10 Jan Magic-Western, April EBTA 11 Jan 2Day Wonder April LA Repo/Alaska Nov Dream B2B 12 Wonder-Hawaii Dec Fantasy-SanJuan 13 2x DLR, Nov Dream 4 day

ibouncetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:09 PM   #101
extechie rbd/wdt
DIS Veteran

OK, I cave in

My Curmudgeon is on this site with people who do not have the common sense to use the search function (it is really bad), or scroll thru 2/3 pages to find the answer to their question, or Google it.
Repetitive posts about obvious often asked questions.

You have the ability to log onto this site, so no excuse to search for the question without starting a new thread!
i.e: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2749457

(me trying to be helpful without screaming!)

Also... not being able to use TINY URLS. My last post would have been one from:

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&xhr=t...=1003&bih=1067

AKA: Let me Google that for you!

Ex Techie
extechie rbd/wdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:11 PM   #102
Donald Applecore
Just call me "sweet cheeks"

Quote:
Originally Posted by extechie rbd/wdt View Post
What your Curmudgeoning report of the ship tour doesn't say is how you responded to Guest Services, nor how you asked what information the tour would provide.....
Nor any response from any feedback. Nor any comments as to how the tour could be better? Ex Techie
Pretty sure Curmudgeons don't believe in "teachable moments"

Keep up the Curmudgeonry - its cracking me up!
I know its all in good fun
Old 06-28-2011, 10:38 PM   #103
ACDSNY

No freaking out allowed
Just flying by

Quote:
Originally Posted by valbob89 View Post
It's very simple. DW gave me a mantra to repeat every time I left the cabin: "If I embarrass you, I must sleep under the sink."
That sounds so familiar...I think I remember giving my DH the one about sleeping outside. All joking aside that was one of our best vacations yet.

Disneyland - Too many to count! Last DL trip: May 2013 WDW - Nov 2011, Nov 2009, May 2007, Oct 2006, July 2006, Oct 2005, Oct 2003, Oct 2000
DCL - Nov 2013 Fantasy EC, Mar 2012 Wonder MR, Nov 2011 Dream B2B, Jan 2011 Wonder Panama Canal, Nov 2009 Wonder Princess - Panama Canal Jan 2014, Pacific Coast May 2006, Alaska Sep 2004, Mar 1999 Australia/New Zealand Big Island - May 2013 Kauai - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012, Feb 2010, Oct 2008 Maui - Jan & Nov 2012 Oahu Aulani - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012
ACDSNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:26 AM   #104
valbob89
DIS Veteran

TV programs

Ok, I understand we're supposed to be dancing on deck with the CMs, then go to a cooking demonstration, followed by a break with a slushy tropical concoction while we watch a movie on Ariel Vision. But what about just chillin' in the stateroom and watching TV?

Well, as pointed out by wonderful Platinum member we shared time with, the "Big Bang" channel had five 22-minute segments of her favorite program. It's the same with all the other TV shows with their own channels: five shows. That was fine when the Wonder was making three- and four-day Bahamas runs, but we were on the 15-day Trans-Panama cruise.

Now Wonder is making week-long Alaska runs, and in a couple of months they'll be spending 7 days cruising Mexico. These standard cruises need more videos. And Mrs. Curmudgeon and I will be taking a three-week Hawaii cruise.

Will DCL please spool up more videos? Can the techies find some way to get news feeds at sea? I'm tired of watching the same CNN featurette videos playing every hour. The ships have satellite downlinks in those gigantic beach balls. The antennas are aimed automatically by the ship's gyroscopic navigation system. CNN, Disney/ABC and many other international networks have satellite feed horns broadcasting to huge sections of open ocean and coastline.

They could even use the 40-year-old technology of mailing new or updated videos to ports of call. But someone in the communications department has to make it happen.

Just grumbling.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:59 AM   #105
NickyKnack
DIS Veteran

Sounds like the next installment for Kingdom Keepers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambycat View Post
deck 10 - WHERE NOONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM!!!!!!!!!!!

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
NickyKnack is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: