Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2012, 04:10 PM   #556
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphingirl47

This can easily be avoided. When you make your reservation, just ask them to put the remark "No Sales Pitch" on your records. They will respect this.

Corinna
I hope that really works. It's a real shame when you're all nice and relaxed and ready to wander off to your stateroom and they're standing there hard selling.
Last time the massage lady had been talking for a good five minutes and I'd been totally ignoring her listening to the waves in the background. And zoning out.
Finally I heard her break in with a "so what do you think about the products."
I responded with "I think I need to use the restroom after listening to the waves for an hour and being encouraged to drink water to 'flush out toxins' or whatever you said earlier."

Also sidesteps this issue.
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Upcoming Big Family Reunion Cruise
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:29 PM   #557
dolphingirl47
I will post my goodies once I am back
I have always been too worried to use the pillowcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisecrasher View Post
I hope that really works. It's a real shame when you're all nice and relaxed and ready to wander off to your stateroom and they're standing there hard selling.
Last time the massage lady had been talking for a good five minutes and I'd been totally ignoring her listening to the waves in the background. And zoning out.
Finally I heard her break in with a "so what do you think about the products."
I responded with "I think I need to use the restroom after listening to the waves for an hour and being encouraged to drink water to 'flush out toxins' or whatever you said earlier."

Also sidesteps this issue.
We have only ever cruised on the two classic ships, but it always worked for us.

Corinna
dolphingirl47 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-25-2012, 12:14 PM   #558
iankh
It's never done till it's overdone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDisneyFreaks View Post
We're hitting the Fantasy in October to see the ship, and that'll probably be our last DCL cruise for awhile. The changes to the on-board bookings and credit and no really new itineraries mean we'll just go elsewhere.

We're hitting the Baltics in 2013 so will go with RCCL. They've got a great itinerary that goes where we're looking to hit.

I'll update everyone if there are any new peeves after this cruise! I'm sure the larger ship will provide plenty of opportunity!
I would still like to try the Fantasy, but the itinerary we had for Christmas 2013 was same old, same old.

The Celebrity itinerary was pretty compelling as was paying less for a cruise of double the length. I am also aware that there will be quite a few extras that they charge for, but still in all it seemed pretty good.

DCL has been the only cruise line I've been on, so after we'll see after I sail on Celebrity.

iankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:52 AM   #559
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Another cruise curmudgeons thread has started

on the main Cruise boards...
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2983744
wonder if they'll get closed or moved?
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Old 08-29-2012, 09:40 AM   #560
ColoradoDisneyFreaks
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iankh View Post
I would still like to try the Fantasy, but the itinerary we had for Christmas 2013 was same old, same old.

The Celebrity itinerary was pretty compelling as was paying less for a cruise of double the length. I am also aware that there will be quite a few extras that they charge for, but still in all it seemed pretty good.

DCL has been the only cruise line I've been on, so after we'll see after I sail on Celebrity.
This is the same old, same old, but, we get to go scuba diving in Cozumel! Which of course I'll do any time I can, and my husband invents times to do it. And yes, fellow curmudgeons, we'll be leaving the youngest on the ship when we go. He's not certified yet, although DD is so she'll be going with us. Boy is he pissed!
Old 09-01-2012, 06:52 PM   #561
NHK
Earning My Ears

I am so disappointed by this thread.

I would estimate that my wife has been coming to the Disboards for something like eight years. She is not a member but does collect information about Disney vacations and use that to help plan our trips. She is on the boards every day and loves to read the trip reports from people such as Nebo and Zzub.

Every so often she finds something she thinks I might enjoy reading. She just came across this thread earlier this week and thought it played right into my wheelhouse.

As I started the read I was very enthusiastic, something I could really get into. Over the next few days my enthusiasm was waning and by the end I was completely deflated.

You people are POSERS! You are children pretending to be curmudgeons. Like little Johnny playing “robber” to the neighbor's “cop”, it's all pretend. Those people you make fun of, the ones that like to dress up for the pirate party? You are no different. They are pirates for the evening, you are playing at being a curmudgeon.

Your list of supposedly curmudgeonly complaints is simply that, a list of complaints. The same list that pops up in threads all over the various forums. You don't like when the brat behind you at the theater is kicking your seat? That's not being a curmudgeon that's being a rational adult who believes it's unacceptable behavior and realizes little Johnny deserves a smack along side the head.

Ian, fish extenders, really? Fish extenders? Because they help you meet new friends no less.
Curmudgeons don't have friends, they don't meet people and make new friends.

I have one friend, my wife. We went on our first cruise last May. It was a 7-day Alaska trip on the Wonder. We avoided other passengers as much as we possible could. We refuse to go to any rotational dinners because I am not going to sit down to dinner with a bunch of strangers and be part of their inane conversations.

We made the mistake of going to Triton's for breakfast one morning. We assumed we would have a table to ourselves, unfortunately within 30 seconds of being seated we were joined by another group. Oh what a joy, Grandma, Mother and Son.

Almost immediately Grandma began to pepper me with questions, “Where are you from?” “Do you have children?” Of course I absolutely did not want to know anything about her or her family and did not return the favor of the question Gatling gun. However that did not stop her from providing an extensive personal biography. Fortunately it did not take long for Grandma's attitude to sour and she soon left us alone. I'm guessing that my one word responses to her questions and the fact that I refused to take any initiative in the conversation was enough of a hint for her.

When we left the table I politely said goodbye to the other family. Grandma refused to respond and wouldn't even look in our direction. My wife and I just smiled at each other as we walked out, knowing we'd successfully ruined someone's morning.

You're not doing your job as a proper curmudgeon if someone isn't offended. Towards the end of the thread ThePhantomsGirl apparently had her feeling hurt and decided she didn't want to read any further. People were apologizing to her. Curmudgeons don't apologize for hurt feelings!

Truly disappointed by this thread. I thought I'd be entertained but all I saw was Pollyanna jibber-jabber.

NeudleHatesKids

If I had any friends they'd call me Neudle.
Schadenfreude is my creed.
NHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:24 PM   #562
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!

me thinks someone's off his hormones... Sorry.. you sound a little menopausal...

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Tink rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:56 PM   #563
NHK
Earning My Ears

Is it being suggested that I am cranky?

It's rather ironic that in a thread who's participants claim to be curmudgeons, it would be suggested that I am being cranky.

The pointed stab at my masculinity and the fact that there is apparently something wrong with my attitude certainly suggests that is the case.

Might I refer you to the very first post in this very long thread? That might clear up some of your apparent confusion.

See you on the boat.

NeudleHatesKids

Schadenfreude is my creed.
NHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:06 PM   #564
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!

I was letting my inner curmudgeon out...

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Tink rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:09 AM   #565
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Ah...so if one doesn't want friends, why does one join a "social network"?
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Old 09-07-2012, 09:18 AM   #566
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

I have decided I am a curmudgeon about something else, trip reports filled with "clever" titles and stories.

I like to look at trip reports in general. Right now we are looking at booking a cruise so I want to look at pictures, read about details, and read reviews good and bad. But for some reason, so many people seem to think they are authoring a funny novel. It's really annoying trying to weed through them.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:27 AM   #567
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniec
I have decided I am a curmudgeon about something else, trip reports filled with "clever" titles and stories.

I like to look at trip reports in general. Right now we are looking at booking a cruise so I want to look at pictures, read about details, and read reviews good and bad. But for some reason, so many people seem to think they are authoring a funny novel. It's really annoying trying to weed through them.
I kind of believe the title should include the date itinerary and ship for those of us actually trying to read for research.
Side notes on trip reports:
What's a McSparkelson?
Why on earth do people call trip reports "trippies". I understand TR and abbreviating but "trippies"?
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Old 04-05-2013, 10:18 AM   #568
schmity
Earning My Ears

Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by iankh View Post
Ah, but you can have fun with the family name announcement.

On past cruises we have been announced as:

- Sonny and Cher
- the Von Trapp Family
- The Adams Family
We tend to us Dinnglehopper or something else our children think of as we board. We get a big kick out of it and like to see the crew smile.
schmity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:39 PM   #569
MelSpees
Mouseketeer

Love this thread with the good-natured curmudgeonry. (Okay, I made up a word.) Wish it was still active. I'll add mine, anyway. What's with all the people talking about reading this and other threads while they're at work? I mean, they're supposed to be working at work, right?

Also, people who don't re-read their posts and catch obvious mistakes. It drives me crazy! Watch--I'll probably have missed something.

DW Author DH Retired USN Officer and Teacher 1st time DCL Cruisers
MelSpees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:59 PM   #570
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

As to the work thing...

Before I was a stay at home mom I worked as a researcher. We were required to be in the office for 40 h/wk. Evenly split M through F.
Most of us finished by midday Wednesday unless we hit a big snag. So two hour lunches and web surfing were all there was left.
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: