Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2011, 10:15 PM   #31
iankh
It's never done till it's overdone

Quote:
Originally Posted by anna08 View Post
Thanks for the funny thread! I, too, cringe when food servers parade to music. I dislike the necessary handshake and butt kissing conversation nightly from the head servers. And I REALLY dislike (gasp) the family name announcement when we board the ship!!! I know that is practically a reason to be thrown off the DCL disboards, but I just had to throw my wee complaint in ...

I do like the smileys here tho'

Ah, but you can have fun with the family name announcement.

On past cruises we have been announced as:

- Sonny and Cher
- the Von Trapp Family
- The Adams Family

iankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:24 PM   #32
iankh

Quote:
Originally Posted by engle View Post
Curmudgeon here...and my husband. We have been on 3 DCL cruises...and are DVC members....

The Bingo script...it is the same...every...time.....
We are DVC members too. This last cruise I felt like I was being hounded by DVC. I lost track of the number of phone messages they kept leaving for us.

I started to have nightmares about it. It was as if I was being pursued by some maniacally smiling, candy-scented aunt who who was chasing after me trying to pinch my chubby cheeks.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-25-2011, 10:29 PM   #33
valbob89
DIS Veteran

I hate it when...

I'll go along with pluralses. My DA (no, not dying a##, my Dear Aunt) and her kids always called the grocery store down the hill "Safeways." I think they were posessive, not plurals. See? I can complain about a complaint.

As for grammar: The Personal Navigator has the same canned superlatives about every show, every activity on every cruise (among the three, soon four ships). Why do we still see grammar, spelling and punctuation errors?

-- Curmudgeon Club-crasher Bob

P.S. My DW insists the D stands for Darling. Maybe it's Daring. We know what it'd be if she called me her CH!
valbob89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:42 PM   #34
valbob89
DIS Veteran

Quote:
... I dislike the necessary handshake and butt kissing conversation nightly from the head servers. And I REALLY dislike (gasp) the family name announcement when we board the ship!!!...
Yes, what if they just were honest and said, "I'll be fast and invisible if you promise to tip me." Maybe I should just suggest it to him. Or do you mean the Maitre 'd? I never knew he was in the room until the last night, when he was as solicitous as a freshman at a frat kegger.

I told the guy at the gangway we were traveling under assumed names. My DW shot me the stare that shatters granite (I've been struck by it so many times it no longer raises welts), and smiled at Gangway Guy, giving our real name.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:05 PM   #35
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iankh View Post
Another thing I find questionable is the notion of a formal night. This is hardly an ambassadorial affair.

If the are going to have dinner wear, then I expect to see the host with a copy of Debrett's arranging the order of going into dinner.

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Tink rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:07 PM   #36
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!

Jackie...

Those of us who are Tin CC members... will STALK all of you gold and platinum members at Palo... That will be me drooling on the window holding my stale cold pizza slice from Pinocchio's....

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Tink rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:51 AM   #37
iankh

Quote:
Originally Posted by valbob89 View Post
Yes, what if they just were honest and said, "I'll be fast and invisible if you promise to tip me." Maybe I should just suggest it to him. Or do you mean the Maitre 'd? I never knew he was in the room until the last night, when he was as solicitous as a freshman at a frat kegger.

I told the guy at the gangway we were traveling under assumed names. My DW shot me the stare that shatters granite (I've been struck by it so many times it no longer raises welts), and smiled at Gangway Guy, giving our real name.

Ahem!

All of a sudden all these people come crawling out of the woodwork on the last night. It would not surprise me in the least if some goon, in costume naturally, came up to our table on the last night and said, "Excuse me, but I'm responsible for stacking the spoons "off stage." I hope the spoons were to your satisfaction."

On the whole I wish on the first night they offered us a choice, "Would you like the cloying and saccharine service package, or the quiet, unobtrusive and efficient service package, where I won't try to be your pal, but you will get excellent service and be left alone?"

Old 06-26-2011, 09:28 AM   #38
anna08
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by valbob89 View Post
I never knew he was in the room until the last night, when he was as solicitous as a freshman at a frat kegger.
I hope it's ok - I think I want to borrow that phrase in the future!

We were the "Doofenshmirtz" family last cruise. Surprisingly, the CM with the microphone asked if it was as in "the evil empire". My DS 4 who was kinda wide-eyed on ship entry didn't respond until two days later when he asked why that guy called us the Doofenshmirtz family...

As a DVC member, I also find the member meeting embarrassing, and have decided the 16 DVC hats and lanyards we own are enough. The goofy game show is not worth the chance at a $200 OBC anymore. I may, however, pop in just to grab a free mimosa.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:41 AM   #39
vakamalua
DIS Veteran

Quote:
As a DVC member, I also find the member meeting embarrassing, and have decided the 16 DVC hats and lanyards we own are enough. The goofy game show is not worth the chance at a $200 OBC anymore. I may, however, pop in just to grab a free mimosa.

As a DVC member, I couldn't agree more. The hard sell is WAY over the top. We always get the hats though and give them as bingo prizes for a kids charity we work with. And IMHO the mimosas are watered down...
vakamalua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:22 PM   #40
valbob89
DIS Veteran

Re: "solicitous as a freshman at a frat kegger"

Quote:
I hope it's ok - I think I want to borrow that phrase in the future!

It only took me a minute to come up with it. I'm so pleased you like it that I grant you full and eternal title to the phrase. So long as I get to use it myself....

So how about the cheerleading by cast preppies in white shorts while we wait to be loaded on the bus for excursions. "Is everyone having fun?" "Hello?" (tap, tap) "Testing, one two. Hey, who's excited to ride a minivan 40 miles with whining 8-year-olds to a salsa tasting? I can't HEAR you!"
Old 06-26-2011, 02:31 PM   #41
AlexandNessa
Proud Redhead
Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
Must sleep barefoot
HEY EVERYONE...THIS IS A SECRET...SHE HATED THE MUMMY MOVIE

I am not quite sure if this makes me a curmudgeon, though I do share many of the sentiments expressed here.

I will share one on this board, however ... the Magic, Wonder, Dream, and Fanstasy are SHIPS, not BOATS.

I am not quite sure why that bothers me so much, but I will immediately pass over a thread with the word BOAT in the title. Rather like nails on a chalkboard to me.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:32 PM   #42
valbob89
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vakamalua View Post
I am a TOTAL curmudgeon when it comes to parents who let their kids do ANYTHING. Push, run wild, scream endlessly, demand, litter, leave sticky messes, back talk, etc, etc. What ever happened to teaching manners? It's not the kids' fault, it's the parents. I am not above correcting the kid and don't mind the dirty looks from the parents one little bit.

Rant over (for today)...
But I'm just getting warmed up. Yes, you and I straight-arm the little weasels at the elevator when they try to run in before anyone can get off. "Always let people out before you get in -- to a bus, monorail or elevator. Just pretend it's the classroom you avoid."

And I'm still not joining (see message 11).
Old 06-26-2011, 02:50 PM   #43
valbob89
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexandNessa View Post

I will share one on this board, however ... the Magic, Wonder, Dream, and Fanstasy are SHIPS, not BOATS.

I am not quite sure why that bothers me so much, but I will immediately pass over a thread with the word BOAT in the title. Rather like nails on a chalkboard to me.
Yes, boat, front, in the back, right side, upstairs, floor.
(i.e. ship...bow...aft..............starboard..topside.. .deck)

Lubbers!
Old 06-26-2011, 03:06 PM   #44
SLK1
DIS Veteran

Oh wow, how I LOVE and NEED this thread!!! I'm the curmudgeon here...alone in a family of six (although my teenage daughter is in training and doing quite well).

No idea why people love the pirate thing so much. I think it's just plain weird. Hate the formal night...I'd rather run around in my shorts and t-shirts all day long. I think the Cruise Directors talk WAY too much, and I find myself saying, under my breath, "shut up, shut up, shut UP" while they're yammering about. I don't mind parading waiters, but waving the napkins??? The way my family eats, you can bet a boatload of crumbs would come flying out of our napkins. Ours stay in our laps.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:01 PM   #45
iankh

I loathe the cheerleading cast members. That much perkiness must addle the brain. I also despise being spoken to like I'm a rather dimwitted 2 year old.

At the last pirate party insanity descended om me and I queued for cake. It took forever to wind my way to the table, and they were out of forks. I asked the cast member for a fork and she made a hand gesture to me that I should eat the cake with my hands. I wanted to make a finger gesture back at her but opted to just snarl politely.

I finally found a fork and went up to deck 10, where promptly a strong gust of wind came and blew my piece of cake off my plate and over the railing. It would have been poetic justice had the wind-launched cake hit the fork gesturing cast member in the face. I would have then considered the evening a great success.

Last edited by iankh; 06-27-2011 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Corrected my bad iPad typing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: