Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2011, 10:50 AM   #151
dylan'smom
DIS Veteran

Ah, yes, the coffee..or lack there of...

This is not, however, unique to DCL - Princess & virtually all the mass market lines use that awful Nescafe - yuk!! I resorted to Starbucks instant a few times (emergency stash). The only freshly brewed coffee I experienced (served table side or room service) on a cruise ship was on Regent Seven Seas.

And I've discussed this swill with people over the years who insist that DCL room service coffee or main restaurant coffee is NOT nescafe, but good and freshly brewed!! And this must be how they "get away" with it!

But Palo not serving brewed coffee is absurd. I'm not the biggest fan of Palo (dinners, anyway), and I would list my complaints here about how overly impressed and awestruck I'm supposed to be, but... it just gets me annoyed again at the experience...fresh wound...lol

I hope you will report back about Remy's coffee...it just may be a true test of their culinary expertise.

19 on DCL, so far: MAGICal voyages: Jun'01(7), Oct'01(7), Jun'03(7), Nov'04(7), Jun'06(7), Jun'07(11), Jun'09(7), Apr'10(14), Jun'10(12), May'11 B2B(25), Sep'11(14); WONDERful cruises: Oct'10(3), Dec'11(7), Apr'12(15 Hawaii); 1 DREAMy cruise Mar'11; +1 FANTAStical voyage Jul'12(7)..& back to the MAGIC Sept 22th Galveston inaugural +B2B Sept. 29th, next year DS's Graduation Cruise- either the Greece Med or EBTA...tbd
dylan'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:04 AM   #152
GrumpyGoat
Disney Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by iankh View Post
Now for the most curmudgeony of all my curmudgeonry ... this may be even bigger than the Sail Away Party. Grander than the Pirate Party. Grumpier than having an ice cream sunday dropped down the front of my shorts at Scoops (Oh, I forgot to mention that incident).

The Coffee on the Ship

Before I launch into my curmudgeonly tirade first let me say that I have no high expectations of the coffee at the drink station. It would be impossible for DCL to keep fresh coffee thermoses filled up, so their Nescafe sludge makes perfect sense for that venue. Also, I am happen that they have hot caffeine on tap at no extra charge unlike other cruise lines.

But what gives with the Nescafe in the dining rooms and in Palo? And before anyone corrects me, I have spoken to chefs and the chef at Palo and all the dining rooms serve Nescafe.

The only difference between the dining rooms and the drink station is that it is more diluted at the drink station.

What is it with the Nescafe? I suspect that either Nestle's must give Disney a VERY good deal, or they have horribly incriminating photos of Walt Disney, probably taken in the Swiss Alps and probably involving a dirndl, a cuckoo clock and possibly a goat. I'm not sure.

Otherwise I can't understand why they don't serve decent brewed coffee.

Even Palo, their premier restaurant on two ships serves instant coffee. I mean really! What top restaurant have you ever gone into serves Nescafe? I'd rather have a glass of milk and a couple of No-Doze.

I order specialty coffees in the dining rooms and Palo.

I also make several trips a day to the Cove Cafe, who by the way, have most excellent little pastries, some of the best on the ship. Plus their punch card is good from ship to ship and cruise to cruise.

Sadly, I have resigned myself to the instant sludge.

I plan on trying Remy on our next cruise/s our first trip on the Dream, a back-to-back 4/3 night.

You don't think they could possibly serve Nescafe as the dining room coffee at Remy, do you?
Instant coffee? INSTANT COFFEE? They don't serve fresh brewed coffee? After twenty years in the US Navy, I don't drink no stinkin' instant coffee...
GrumpyGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-03-2011, 12:12 PM   #153
Mom2PrincessesLinSy
DIS Veteran

OMG (short for Oh My Golly), this is freakin' hilarious!

And as I get ready to sail aboard the Wonder in a month, many of these things I truly wish to avoid! I am thankful that we booked our PALO reservation for Pirate Night, ARGH!

Thinking I won't need to fight with the Chaise Lounge chair hogs since we will be in Alaska, but I will probably have to fight over a place on Deck 9 or 10 for my quintessential photo of a Glacier with Mickey's head on the bow of the ship in the foreground. No seriously, I really want that, but I am not going to get up at 6am to fight for my place to get it. Maybe I can convince someone to send me a copy....

I think my biggest beef is with those people who stake out the center of the Walt Disney Theater along with seats for 50 of their closest friends. Really, buddy, they aren't your friends, they are just using you for your seats! They don't want to get there early either.

Oh, and the CC gift. When we first started sailing, they changed the gift each year. And they were nice. DCL towel, really nice Carry On bag. Now I guess they buy in bulk, and stocked up for the next 10 years for all the ships. I just don't need another bag with DCL water bottles and Rice Crispie Treat Flip Flops. Its Alaska, for Gosh Sakes! Throw a pair of Mickey gloves and scarf on my bed, I probably forgot to pack them!

Multiple Disney Trips (both Pre-EPCOT and Post-EPCOT) as a child Wedding at WDW Wedding Pavillion/GF 10/99 Disneyland: 4 trips Disney World: 10 trips Disney Magic: 6 sailings Disney Wonder: 2 sailings WE ARE ALMOST PLATINUM!
Mom2PrincessesLinSy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 05:17 PM   #154
Ariel224
DIS Veteran

Quote:

What is it with the Nescafe? I suspect that either Nestle's must give Disney a VERY good deal, or they have horribly incriminating photos of Walt Disney, probably taken in the Swiss Alps and probably involving a dirndl, a cuckoo clock and possibly a goat. I'm not sure.
I think you mean Nestle, right?

At any rate, I think I'm glad I drink tea, as I can see that DH is going to be spending a fortune at Cove Cafe. Don't worry though, he's no Disney Expert, and won't try to pretend he's one either.

Disneyland November 2-5, 2009; November 11-21, 2010; November 7-11, 2011
Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean November 10-17, 2012
Ariel224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 05:36 PM   #155
PaceFamily
Wife and Grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan'smom View Post
Ah, yes, the coffee..or lack there of...

And I've discussed this swill with people over the years who insist that DCL room service coffee or main restaurant coffee is NOT nescafe, but good and freshly brewed!! And this must be how they "get away" with it!
I just got back from the Disney Dream and am a serious coffee drinker . I talked with several of the servers at the different restaurants and confirmed that the coffee in the restaurants is a brewed coffee, not the concentrate as at the self serve. It is, however, NESCAFE brand and does have that unique flavor, but is better.

I brought my French Press coffee maker and my own ground coffee onboard. I got a lot of interesting looks carrying my pot to the restaurant and Cabanas. Found the servers to be very willing to fill the pot with hot water and even rinse it out when I was done .
Disney Dream June 2011
WDW June 2010

PaceFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 05:54 PM   #156
dylan'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceFamily View Post
I just got back from the Disney Dream and am a serious coffee drinker . I talked with several of the servers at the different restaurants and confirmed that the coffee in the restaurants is a brewed coffee, not the concentrate as at the self serve. It is, however, NESCAFE brand and does have that unique flavor, but is better.

Interesting...as much as I'd love to believe they are correct, unless it's different on the Dream, it's the same stuff... concentrate that is reconstituted.

But the Nescafe they use is a liquid concentrate....not powdered, so maybe it was brewed at some point & then dehydrated?? ...and then rehydrated? Or maybe the term freshly brewed means they have then just diluted it!!

I'd say you were smart to bring that press!! I've brought one before and used it in the room. Then The Cove came along so I just run up a tab there now. Even there, the only freshly brewed you will find is espresso. I happen to like it (and they make a good cappucinno), but DH has trouble with the "Americano" (espresso diluted with water) so gets a mocha...! But I digress.....

Thanks for sharing that -- I'd really like to think that maybe they are moving in a different direction now (?)

19 on DCL, so far: MAGICal voyages: Jun'01(7), Oct'01(7), Jun'03(7), Nov'04(7), Jun'06(7), Jun'07(11), Jun'09(7), Apr'10(14), Jun'10(12), May'11 B2B(25), Sep'11(14); WONDERful cruises: Oct'10(3), Dec'11(7), Apr'12(15 Hawaii); 1 DREAMy cruise Mar'11; +1 FANTAStical voyage Jul'12(7)..& back to the MAGIC Sept 22th Galveston inaugural +B2B Sept. 29th, next year DS's Graduation Cruise- either the Greece Med or EBTA...tbd
dylan'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 06:21 PM   #157
Cerberus9
Mouseketeer

I'm tired of being treated like the Devil Incarnate for suggesting that my family might just possibly enjoy some aspect of a *gasp* cruise line other than Disney.
Cerberus9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:14 PM   #158
iankh
It's never done till it's overdone

Quote:

I brought my French Press coffee maker and my own ground coffee onboard. I got a lot of interesting looks carrying my pot to the restaurant and Cabanas. Found the servers to be very willing to fill the pot with hot water and even rinse it out when I was done .
Yes, they do tell that story about it being "brewed" but it isn't, it's a liquid concentrate, I asked. At first I was told that it was "special" Nescafe. I asked point blank whether it was concentrate or ground coffee. It's concentrate. That was a bit over a year ago on the Magic.

I asked again this past April at Palo on the Wonder. Yep, still concentrate with hot water added. The only brewed coffees are the specialty ones they offer.

iankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:18 PM   #159
iankh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel224 View Post
I think you mean Nestle, right?
Touché!

Old 07-03-2011, 08:19 PM   #160
PaceFamily
Wife and Grumpy

Quote:
I asked point blank whether it was concentrate or ground coffee. It's concentrate. That was a bit over a year ago on the Magic.
Maybe they have changed it on the Dream. I too asked point blank "Is the coffee brewed or from concentrate" and every one swore it was a brewed coffee. It did taste different.
Disney Dream June 2011
WDW June 2010

PaceFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:39 PM   #161
iankh

Quote:
Maybe they have changed it on the Dream. I too asked point blank "Is the coffee brewed or from concentrate" and every one swore it was a brewed coffee. It did taste different.
If that's the case then it's very good news! I suppose I'll see in November when I sail on the Dream. Bravo to DCL if they've made this change!

Old 07-04-2011, 12:57 AM   #162
GrumpyGoat
Disney Curmudgeon

I'll reserve judgement on the coffee until I actually taste it. The Navy should have prepared me to drink anything, but ever since I bought my Keurig brewer, I've become somewhat of a coffee snob...
Old 07-04-2011, 06:02 AM   #163
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

My curmudgeon moment would be at the character breakfast when the waiters try to get us to wear napkin hats. Major dork fest! Last time a waiter asked DH if he wanted one he said, "not only NO, but He--- NO! Ranks right up there with the Holland America cruise people trying to get us to wear dutch bonnets at one of their dinners. I refused to do that as well.

And I've never met a cruise director who wasn't in love with a microphone. Enough with the PA announcements already!

DMIL wanted our extended family to meet the captain. I guess she wanted to show off how many of her posterity were on board. I told her the captain was just a glorified chauffeur and she never suggested meeting him again.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:33 PM   #164
GrumpyGoat
Disney Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ View Post
My curmudgeon moment would be at the character breakfast when the waiters try to get us to wear napkin hats. Major dork fest! Last time a waiter asked DH if he wanted one he said, "not only NO, but He--- NO! Ranks right up there with the Holland America cruise people trying to get us to wear dutch bonnets at one of their dinners. I refused to do that as well.

And I've never met a cruise director who wasn't in love with a microphone. Enough with the PA announcements already!

DMIL wanted our extended family to meet the captain. I guess she wanted to show off how many of her posterity were on board. I told her the captain was just a glorified chauffeur and she never suggested meeting him again.
Stupid hats seem to be a Disney staple... I see them every time I go to Disneyland. I'll bet most get thrown into a closet and are never worn again for any reason, although my wife, who works at the San Diego Zoo, says she sees Disney hats there from time to time.

No way I'm going to wear a napkin hat at breakfast...
Old 07-04-2011, 07:48 PM   #165
sambycat
DIS Veteran

we now return you to your regularly scheduled thread....

i'm having a moment this evening and just needed to say: DEAR FELLOW CRUISE PEOPLE - YOU WILL NOT DIE OF STARVATION ON A DCL CRUISE. NOR WILL YOUR CHILDREN STARVE!!!! even if they don't have the only cereal johnny eats or all you can drink are coca cola products!!!!!! how do you live??!?

ok, sorry. i'm done now.

please don't ban me.

sambycat is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: