Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2011, 10:53 AM   #136
Cerberus9
Mouseketeer

Towel animals:

They're cute, they're clever, and the first one was a pleasant surprise. However, our children considered breaking them apart to be on par with murdering a cherished pet, so by the end of our cruise, our family of four was sharing a tiny cabin with a puppy, a mouse, a flower, a dinosaur, a monkey, and some sort of lobster thing.

Baby Strollers:

In what alternate universe of narcissistic self-entitlement is it considered acceptable to push a Combi Sport Twin Stroller through the narrow, crowded passageways of a ship and expect people to part as if your child was some king or emperor being driven in his golden chariot???

Another thing: I know little Kynydy gets tuckered out quickly, but pushing a 5-year old in a stroller is creepy. Really creepy.
Cerberus9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:33 AM   #137
CherylSue
Mouseketeer

My DH found some sick enjoyment in scheduling a wake up call for every morning of our cruise since the phone was on MY side. On the final morning I was ready to murder that Mouse and his oh-so-cheerful "Woooo-Hoooo Wake up! We have so much to do today! Hee Hee Hee Hee"

*Wishing there was a smiley with a knife and an evil smile*

DH - Sean Me - Cheryl DD(15) - Victoria

CherylSue is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-01-2011, 03:18 PM   #138
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

My better half owns "sea trips". I own "land trips". So, as I don't venture down to the DCL board, I had NO IDEA this thread existed until I was pointed in this direction.

This is just one more reason why I am thrilled to have married up.

I have not yet cruised with Mickey---my first is this August to Alaska. But there are still a few things that like-minded curmudgeons might appreciate.

At the top of the list: the threads with titles like "Not Magical!" that go on to describe how the Cast Member who welcomed them through the turnstiles on their first day did not smile quite as brightly as the Cast Members used to, setting the entire family up for a day's worth of disappointment, from slightly too much ice in the lunch beverages right on up to a missing audio effect in the third scene of Splash Mountain.

A close second: It is not "vacay". It is vacation. It is not "brekkie". It is breakfast. It is not a "ressie". It is a reservation. I understand that pixie dust addiction makes people do strange things, but even so one should be able to type a sentence without having to freebase it.

"Has anyone ever stayed at POP Century?" Yes. It's a large hotel, and is often full. I think one can conclude that someone has stayed there. Once. Maybe.

And, finally, a reminder. Mickey is in business to separate us from our cheese. As a result, prices sometimes rise. Mobilizing a flash mob to protest the 25 cent increase in Mickeybar cost is possibly not the best use of one's time.

Quote:
what's with all the stuff in the signatures?
You can turn off signature display---click on "User CP" in the upper left corner. Click on Edit Options on the left hand side. Scroll down to the Thread Display Options section, and un-click the checkbox. Turning off signatures is the second best feature of DISboards---right behind the Ignore List.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:34 PM   #139
iankh
It's never done till it's overdone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Noble View Post
My better half owns "sea trips". I own "land trips". So, as I don't venture down to the DCL board, I had NO IDEA this thread existed until I was pointed in this direction.

I have not yet cruised with Mickey---my first is this August to Alaska. But there are still a few things that like-minded curmudgeons might appreciate.

At the top of the list: the threads with titles like "Not Magical!" that go on to describe how the Cast Member who welcomed them through the turnstiles on their first day did not smile quite as brightly as the Cast Members used to, setting the entire family up for a day's worth of disappointment, from slightly too much ice in the lunch beverages right on up to a missing audio effect in the third scene of Splash Mountain.

A close second: It is not "vacay". It is vacation. It is not "brekkie". It is breakfast. It is not a "ressie". It is a reservation. I understand that pixie dust addiction makes people do strange things, but even so one should be able to type a sentence without having to freebase it.

"Has anyone ever stayed at POP Century?" Yes. It's a large hotel, and is often full. I think one can conclude that someone has stayed there. Once. Maybe.

And, finally, a reminder. Mickey is in business to separate us from our cheese. As a result, prices sometimes rise. Mobilizing a flash mob to protest the 25 cent increase in Mickeybar cost is possibly not the best use of one's time.

You can turn off signature display---click on "User CP" in the upper left corner. Click on Edit Options on the left hand side. Scroll down to the Thread Display Options section, and un-click the checkbox. Turning off signatures is the second best feature of DISboards---right behind the Ignore List.
I applaud your use of real English and have often felt many of the same things you cite in your posting.

So, you're new to cruising with Disney? Don't forget to open a thread entitled, "Tell me about the ocean."

iankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:13 PM   #140
dylan'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Can't thank you enough for this one....how did I miss it all these years?
Oh, who cares?! I have it now! No more scrolling through pages and pages of the same gigantic signature over & over, simply for a message containing a word or a or a

<--- gratitude emoticon required here!

19 on DCL, so far: MAGICal voyages: Jun'01(7), Oct'01(7), Jun'03(7), Nov'04(7), Jun'06(7), Jun'07(11), Jun'09(7), Apr'10(14), Jun'10(12), May'11 B2B(25), Sep'11(14); WONDERful cruises: Oct'10(3), Dec'11(7), Apr'12(15 Hawaii); 1 DREAMy cruise Mar'11; +1 FANTAStical voyage Jul'12(7)..& back to the MAGIC Sept 22th Galveston inaugural +B2B Sept. 29th, next year DS's Graduation Cruise- either the Greece Med or EBTA...tbd
dylan'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:07 PM   #141
aan1701
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus9 View Post

Baby Strollers:

In what alternate universe of narcissistic self-entitlement is it considered acceptable to push a Combi Sport Twin Stroller through the narrow, crowded passageways of a ship and expect people to part as if your child was some king or emperor being driven in his golden chariot???

Another thing: I know little Kynydy gets tuckered out quickly, but pushing a 5-year old in a stroller is creepy. Really creepy.
Amen to this. I still have no clue why you need a stroller on a 963 foot long ship. Really? I get it in the ports, but on the ship?
DCL 14 Night Westbound Panama To my House. 5/14/05-5/28/05, DCL 11 Night Southern 9/17/06-9/28/06, 7 Night DCL Western 10/20/07, DCL 15 Night Westbound Panama to my house. 5/10/08-5/25/08, 7 Night to St. Croix for my Birthday 2/28/09, 7 night to the Western 10/17/09, Back to back on the Wonder 10/14/10 and 10/17/10, 15 night Panama Canal to Bring the Wonder to my home and her new Home 1/6/2011. 10/8/2011 Eastern on the Magic. 4/29/12 15 nights to Hawaii and back from my home in Los Angeles, 5/6/13 14 nights from Miami back to my home in Los Angeles via the Panama Canal, Premier Pass holder, DVC Member since 2008.
aan1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:22 PM   #142
Donald Applecore
Just call me "sweet cheeks"

Quote:
I know little Kynydy gets tuckered out quickly, but pushing a 5-year old in a stroller is creepy. Really creepy.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:31 PM   #143
GrumpyGoat
Disney Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by smootenloopers View Post
Golly, I so love every other thread on the forum being a form of "I'm a new cruiser, tell me everything I need to know." Really, shall I chew their food for them too?
It's not just here. I hang out on forums dedicated to photography and to amateur radio. It's the same way there... "I just bought the <insert whizz-bang camera here> and I need help with the settings." Well, did you read the camera's manual? There's a reason it's included...

It's not as bad on the amateur radio forums because you have to have a license to operate. That presupposes a minimum knowledge because there's a test to get the license, but it's not always the case. I tried to help one guy program a radio the same model as mine and even after I wrote it out step-by-step, including the specific frequencies for his location, he still said it was too hard and got rid of the radio.

We might as well face it, there are just those who will take the lazy way, no matter what.

Quote:
Towel animals:

They're cute, they're clever, and the first one was a pleasant surprise. However, our children considered breaking them apart to be on par with murdering a cherished pet, so by the end of our cruise, our family of four was sharing a tiny cabin with a puppy, a mouse, a flower, a dinosaur, a monkey, and some sort of lobster thing.
I'll take pictures before I dismember the towel animals... (Although, my wife says we have to keep the monkey...)

Quote:
Baby Strollers:

Don't get me started on strollers... Apparently some people with children, especially small children, think procreation confers on them some kind of entitlement to be oblivious, obnoxious and rude to the rest of the adult population. The thing I hate is the person with the double-wide stroller that stops right in front of you on a narrow walkway and then gets indignant when you say something...

Quote:

Those "abbreviations" sound like they might be coming out of Australia... That's the same kind of slang I encountered when I crewed on an Australian-flagged sailing ship. I still haven't figured out what language they speak down there.

I know what you mean about the slang and nicknames, however. There seems to be a tendency among younger male photographers to nickname every new lens that comes along. There's "The Brick," the "Magic Drainpipe." and the "Bigma..." Why can't they just call them the Canon 24-70mm 2.8, the Canon 80-200mm 2.8 and the Sigma 50-500mm which is what they are?

Thanks for the reminder about the signature thing. VBulletin is used on a lot of other forums and I had completely forgotten about that feature, probably because none of the others I frequent are anywhere near as cluttered as here...

Last edited by GrumpyGoat; 07-01-2011 at 06:31 PM.
GrumpyGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:59 PM   #144
lakelandgal70
Life is too short for fake butter, cheese or people....

Ok this post has me . My first cruise is Nov 2012 and I keep thinking all the questions I have are gonna come off as grumpy sounding but now I know better!

lakelandgal70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:41 PM   #145
SLK1
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Do you know how long it took me to decipher all the DisBoard abbreviations??? Is it THAT hard to type out "Small World"? No, they have to present it as "IASW" (took me a while). Or, when I first joined, I scratched my head over "MNSSHP" and "MVMCP". I lost sleep over it - it's just not THAT hard to type out "Halloween Party" or "Christmas Party". But that's just me. I guess I'm more verbose than most.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:09 AM   #146
iankh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK1 View Post
Do you know how long it took me to decipher all the DisBoard abbreviations??? Is it THAT hard to type out "Small World"? No, they have to present it as "IASW" (took me a while). Or, when I first joined, I scratched my head over "MNSSHP" and "MVMCP". I lost sleep over it - it's just not THAT hard to type out "Halloween Party" or "Christmas Party". But that's just me. I guess I'm more verbose than most.
Ah, apparently you didn't get the note about saving up your boxtops for the seoret decoder ring.

Old 07-02-2011, 05:01 PM   #147
GrumpyGoat
Disney Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by iankh View Post
Ah, apparently you didn't get the note about saving up your boxtops for the seoret decoder ring.
Oh my! Something else to add to my packing list...
GrumpyGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:00 AM   #148
JAM113
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anna08 View Post
On our last cruise, we by some miracle did not get a survey. Maybe they knew I was a curmudgeon before I did! That sneaky Disney company. I felt a minute of guilt, but I did not ask for one. We did leave good tips, however (gotta live by the t shirt mantra.)
Our cruise was a back to back and our server kept reminding us to fill out the survey and we didn't get one, so I asked guest services for it and didn't think anything about it when they asked for our room number. Our stateroom hostess apologized when we saw her at the start of the second part of the cruise and said she thought we would consider it one cruise and planned to just give us a survey at the end of the second. I felt so bad realizing she probably got in trouble for us asking for the survey since she didn't leave it for us

~~~
I'll add my own pet peeve to the thread... People who ask "Will I like...?" Really. How on earth will we know if you will like something or not. Obviously somebody likes it if it's out there in the world, and there is probably somebody who doesn't like it, but there is no way at all for a total stranger to know if *you* will like something.
1981-off property; 1999-day trip; 2000-Contemporary / AS Sports; 2001- off property; 2006 - Animal Kingdom Lodge; 2008 - Animal Kingdom Lodge; 2009 - Animal Kingdom Lodge; 2011-DCL Dream 4 night and B2B 3 night; 2012 - AS Music with Marching band; 2012-DCL Magic 8 night NYC to Bahamas; 2012 - AKV Kidani; 2013 - Saratoga Springs; 2013 - Grand Floridian Villas; 2014 - Boardwalk Villas; 2014 - DCL Wonder 5 night double dip; 2014 - Grand Floridian Resort; 2015 - AKL Jambo; 2015 DCL Magic WBTA Barcelona to Miami

Me DH DD21 DD18

Last edited by JAM113; 07-03-2011 at 01:12 AM.
JAM113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:27 AM   #149
aan1701
DIS Veteran

O.K. I saw it again on a different thread. People the name of the place is Palo and Remy. Not Palos and Remys. Please people stop saying I am going to Palos or I am going to Remys.
DCL 14 Night Westbound Panama To my House. 5/14/05-5/28/05, DCL 11 Night Southern 9/17/06-9/28/06, 7 Night DCL Western 10/20/07, DCL 15 Night Westbound Panama to my house. 5/10/08-5/25/08, 7 Night to St. Croix for my Birthday 2/28/09, 7 night to the Western 10/17/09, Back to back on the Wonder 10/14/10 and 10/17/10, 15 night Panama Canal to Bring the Wonder to my home and her new Home 1/6/2011. 10/8/2011 Eastern on the Magic. 4/29/12 15 nights to Hawaii and back from my home in Los Angeles, 5/6/13 14 nights from Miami back to my home in Los Angeles via the Panama Canal, Premier Pass holder, DVC Member since 2008.
aan1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:36 AM   #150
iankh

Coffee

Now for the most curmudgeony of all my curmudgeonry ... this may be even bigger than the Sail Away Party. Grander than the Pirate Party. Grumpier than having an ice cream sunday dropped down the front of my shorts at Scoops (Oh, I forgot to mention that incident).

The Coffee on the Ship

Before I launch into my curmudgeonly tirade first let me say that I have no high expectations of the coffee at the drink station. It would be impossible for DCL to keep fresh coffee thermoses filled up, so their Nescafe sludge makes perfect sense for that venue. Also, I am happen that they have hot caffeine on tap at no extra charge unlike other cruise lines.

But what gives with the Nescafe in the dining rooms and in Palo? And before anyone corrects me, I have spoken to chefs and the chef at Palo and all the dining rooms serve Nescafe.

The only difference between the dining rooms and the drink station is that it is more diluted at the drink station.

What is it with the Nescafe? I suspect that either Nestle's must give Disney a VERY good deal, or they have horribly incriminating photos of Walt Disney, probably taken in the Swiss Alps and probably involving a dirndl, a cuckoo clock and possibly a goat. I'm not sure.

Otherwise I can't understand why they don't serve decent brewed coffee.

Even Palo, their premier restaurant on two ships serves instant coffee. I mean really! What top restaurant have you ever gone into serves Nescafe? I'd rather have a glass of milk and a couple of No-Doze.

I order specialty coffees in the dining rooms and Palo.

I also make several trips a day to the Cove Cafe, who by the way, have most excellent little pastries, some of the best on the ship. Plus their punch card is good from ship to ship and cruise to cruise.

Sadly, I have resigned myself to the instant sludge.

I plan on trying Remy on our next cruise/s our first trip on the Dream, a back-to-back 4/3 night.

You don't think they could possibly serve Nescafe as the dining room coffee at Remy, do you?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: