Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2011, 08:36 AM   #1
dfmalone
Disneyian In His Prime

EE Yeti?? Have you seen Him

Just wanting to know when the Yeti is working how many have the time or even notice it as fast EE is moving? I have notice it but just a glimpse, not even enough to be like WOW, theres the Yeti

2011 WDW Caribbean Beach Resort, 2010 WDW Caribbean Beach Resort, 2009 WDW Old Key West, 2008 WDW Caribbean Beach Resort ,2007 WDW Grosvenor Inn
Me and the Wife
dfmalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:39 AM   #2
PIRATEGIRL007
DIS Cast Member
OMG! I am about to jump up and down!
real technical words, aren't they!

When the Yeti is fully working she is hard to miss as she is swooping down her arm to what seems like only inches above your head. We were fortunate enough to see her working fully several times. Now as Disco Yeti or Dark Yeti I can see how some may miss her if their eyes are closed or something but I have a hard time missing her as I know she is right there and am always looking for signs of life from her.
PIRATEGIRL007 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-24-2011, 08:48 AM   #3
Angryhenfan95
Mouseketeer

Location: Ye needn't know which port I be at unless ye is part of me crew.

Yeah, the first time I rode EE, the Yeti worked fine. For half a second, I believed it was real. And now, they have the lights off around it so that all you see is a giant shadow. Sometimes the eyes glow, and sometimes the sound works and if you are lucky, you get both. But that rarely happens for me.

Angryhenfan95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:56 AM   #4
dfmalone
Disneyian In His Prime

Im starting to think the times I rode EE, that the Yeti was not fully working. It was not very well lite and I barely got a full glimpse of it

2011 WDW Caribbean Beach Resort, 2010 WDW Caribbean Beach Resort, 2009 WDW Old Key West, 2008 WDW Caribbean Beach Resort ,2007 WDW Grosvenor Inn
Me and the Wife
Old 06-24-2011, 08:57 AM   #5
wdw4rfam
DIS Veteran

This has been a question for a few years now here also. The first time we went right after it opened, it was working and hard to miis- looked awesome, and real. The next time, and every time since, its dark, and you can't see it, even if you look for it. Sad, it is really cool. I wonder what the deal is???

2014 CSR-11 days**2013-POR 12 days**2012- POR- 9 days**2011- All Star Music-10 days** 2010- POFQ- 10 days** 2009- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2008- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2006- Pop Cent.- 7 days** AllStar Movies 7 days** 2004-Fl Resident....too many to list** 2003-Grosvenor** 2002- All star movies- 5 days
wdw4rfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:05 AM   #6
Angryhenfan95
Mouseketeer

Location: Ye needn't know which port I be at unless ye is part of me crew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdw4rfam View Post
This has been a question for a few years now here also. The first time we went right after it opened, it was working and hard to miis- looked awesome, and real. The next time, and every time since, its dark, and you can't see it, even if you look for it. Sad, it is really cool. I wonder what the deal is???
I want to know what's up with the Yeti too. My only guess is that it is too big and it can't keep all the wires inside of it connected. Or maybe the Imagineers thought it looked better with the lights off and if that is the case...well, I will just leave it at that.

Angryhenfan95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:05 AM   #7
ducky_love
Saving the world one tourist at a time.

I wish I would have ridden when it worked! That drop just looked like too much for me. After walking by it a hundred times I decided to ride last month and it wasn't bad!! I hate that the Yeti might never work again and I missed it.

But to answer your question if my DH hadn't pointed it out I would have missed it. I was holding onto my glasses and not looking up.
DLP: November 2013
FIRST TRIP TDL: September 2014!!
ducky_love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:07 AM   #8
plutolovr
DIS Veteran

OMG...I really think it's time for a "sticky".....THE YETI IS NOT WORKING AND WILL NOT BE FIXED TO ITS ORIGINAL VERSION, EVER.....

This comes from my DD who's a CM and just did a tour of Everest 2 weeks ago. They can fix the Yeti to a point, but he will never be what he was at the beginning...and he won't be fixed at all until they need to shut down the ride for a full refurb.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:13 AM   #9
dfmalone
Disneyian In His Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutolovr View Post
OMG...I really think it's time for a "sticky".....THE YETI IS NOT WORKING AND WILL NOT BE FIXED TO ITS ORIGINAL VERSION, EVER.....

This comes from my DD who's a CM and just did a tour of Everest 2 weeks ago. They can fix the Yeti to a point, but he will never be what he was at the beginning...and he won't be fixed at all until they need to shut down the ride for a full refurb.
That answers it for me Thanks

Me and the Wife
Old 06-24-2011, 10:48 AM   #10
Day-Day
DIS Veteran

We saw the Yeti in full action when EE first opened.

This past March we rode and didn't see any lights or Yeti at all; too dark.

During our visit from June 4 to June 11 (a couple of weeks ago), the strobe lights were working so the Yeti was visible with the "apparent movement" provided by the strobes; no physical movement.
Day-Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:48 AM   #11
cigar95
DIS weakest link

Quote:

Can't really say "never" - although we can go so far as "there are no plans at present . . . . . . ". We never know what decisions future management may make.

If the stories about the problem being in the Yeti's concrete foundation are true, it sounds like it might require one of those Space Mountain-like year-long shutdowns to fully repair it.

And since ExE is one of DAK's two signature attractions in a park with a pretty low attraction count to start with, we may well have to wait a long time before a full repair even becomes a realistic option.
cigar95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:59 PM   #12
lilwhiterabbit
Wishing Upon a Star

The yeti in her original working condition was so amazing and terrifying that the current state of the ride is just heartbreaking to me. It's missing so much by not working, in my opinion. I really do wish they'd just bite the bullet, shut the ride down, and fix her.

I've actually skipped AK on my last two trips because the park doesn't hold much appeal for me. The only reason I'm going this trip is because I have newbies who've never been to the World. EE's one of the only attractions I'd actually go to the park to see on my own, however, and with the yeti not working, there's really no reason for me to make the effort when I don't have newbies to consider.
lilwhiterabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:50 PM   #13
lakohls
How Long Until Our Next Disney Trip?

DD was a tall 4 1/2 yr old and EE was her first "big kid" ride - apparently back when Yeti was working in full. She was convinced that the Yeti brushed her hair and almost "got her". She to this day, 3 1/2 years later believes in the Yeti & talks about how it is her favorite ride. I was pregnant at the time & could not ride.

Our following trip we again rode EE, and I cold not figure out what all the fuss was about - I couldn't even find the Yeti. Very disappointing.

Wish it would get fixed, maybe one day...
2003 - WDW off property, 2005 - WDW Sheraton Vistana, 2007 - Christmas at Yacht Club, 2010 - Easter DVC Animal Kingdom Kidani, 2011 - November DVC Animal Kingdom Kidani, 2013 - Easter DVC Animal Kingdom Kidani plus 2 days at Sea World, 2015 - February DVC Animal Kingdom Jambo plus 3 days at Universal
lakohls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:55 PM   #14
kezug
Earning My Ears

I just returned from Disney World. We rode EE several times as my wife, son and daughter love the ride. We were there last saturday just before closing and just before the big storm hit orlando and was able to ride the ride again and again, without FP and without wait. 4 times, I tried to time it just right with my camera to take a picture of the broken Yeti and each time, my timing was off! I was mad to not be able to get atleast a picture of it.

Has anyone taken a picture of it? I searched google, but it seems I can only find an ad or official disney picture...I am looking for shots ppl take of it while on the actual ride!
kezug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:33 PM   #15
sweetpee_1993
DIS Veteran

We rode EE when it was in soft opening in very early 2006. The Yeti was amazing. There's no way you could miss it. You really did get the feeling it was just about to grab you. Truly. Even being an adult and knowing it's all just an effect, there was that split second where your brain flashed the thought, "What if it's broken and it really does reach too far???"

We rode it several times in the year or so after that first ride and every time the Yeti was the pinnacle point of the ride. So awesome.

In contrast, during our January 2010 trip I rode next to a single rider gentleman who, I guess, had never been on it before. At the end of the ride when we were pulling into the unload my son who was in the seat in front of me turned around and said, "I didn't even see the Yeti, Mom." I replied with, "I know. I miss the Yeti." The guy next to me said, "What Yeti?"

Exactly. What Yeti, indeed.

Quote:

I don't think it's that the Yeti can't be fixed. The first problem is someone coughing up the budget to fix it right so the force of Yeti's movements doesn't cause this problem again. Not gonna be cheap. Secondly, like another poster stated, Disney has to be able to shut down the ride long enough to do the proper repairs/replacement. Closing 1 of the 2 headlining attractions in a park that is already lacking in ride-based attractions would be near impossible to do. So I don't think it's a case where fixing the Yeti and restoring him to his original, full-blown awesomeness can't be done or will never be done. It only takes a willingness to spend enough money and do whatever it takes including taking the heat after ticking off a loooot of guests when the ride is shut down for an extended period of time.

Until then, let us all wear Yeti shirts that say "Fix me, please?" or perhaps "What Yeti?"
Disney Adventures: 1/04 POP, 1/05 POP, 2/06 POP, 1/07 POP, 12/07 CR, 5/08 POFQ sans kids, 1/09 CR, 5/09 Poly w/o the family, 1/10 AKL, 11/10 POFQ, 9/11 WL+DCL Dream+YC, 5/12 DCL Magic, 9/12 DCL Dream sans kids, 1/13 DCL Magic, 5/13 DCL Fantasy, 9/13 DCL Dream w/friends, 9/13 DCL Fantasy sans kids, 4/14 DLH/Disneyland, 9/14 DCL Dream w/friends, 9/14 DCL Wonder DD, 10/14 DCL Wonder DD

Other Adventures:
11/13 RCI Allure of the Seas

Future Adventures:
5/15 DCL Wonder WBPC
9/15 DCL Dream w/friends
sweetpee_1993 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disney, everest, mountain, rides

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: