Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2011, 08:40 PM   #16
MelMel11
Mouseketeer

Im here!! Also from North Carolina!!!
Old 06-23-2011, 09:09 PM   #17
DisneyMissy318
DIS Veteran

I'm In! I'm from the upper South - Virginia - still below the Mason-Dixon though! We can still pull an accent if we need to! The trip report sounds AWESOME! Can't wait to tag along for the ride and find out what all the laughing is about!

Thank your DH for us!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-23-2011, 09:20 PM   #18
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Joining.

Can't wait to hear more!
Old 06-23-2011, 09:53 PM   #19
therussells08
Roger, Simba One!

Location: ...just beyond the meadows of joy and the valley of contentment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermel9 View Post
I'm here! Can't wait to read about this trip!
You're first! I'm so glad you're here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbys mommy View Post
I'm here! I already know what happens & I am STILL laughing!!!!

Well, my idea was Stuck on Splash, Swimming in S***, you just made it nicer. My ribs are hurting already. And I DO have all the texts saved :D
my other Joni! I can't wait to hear your commentary during this report. You kind of got the worst of my insane texts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFirefly View Post
I'm here!
You have been my reader the longest! I'm so glad you're here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0727 View Post
I'm here! Can't wait to hear all about it!
I'm glad you're here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllaBean View Post
I'm in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyfreak616 View Post
I'm here!!!! First page!! Aww yeahh. (:

LOVE the ToT reference!

And yes, there is absolutely no disco dancing on rides!

Can't wait for this to begin!!!
Yay!

I thought about your frumpin' around the world trip on this trip a lot! You will probably be mentioned several times!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy161 View Post
Count me in!!! Sounds like this TR is one not to be missed!!!!!!
I hope you enjoy it! I'm so glad you're here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merida View Post
Hi! I've lurked on your past reports so I thought I'd actually leave a message for this one! Can't wait to hear what happened.
I'm glad you've enjoyed my reports before, and I'm glad you're posting! Thanks for reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmy View Post
I'm in
Old 06-23-2011, 09:54 PM   #20
DisneyFirefly
I wind up insanely itchy and liable to break skin
I'm definitely a walking information desk when it comes to MK

Am I really your longest reader? I'm not sure who mine would be... Maybe PrincessInOz, but I'm really not sure.

ETA: Nope, it's stephielala I went back and looked

Follow The Bouncing Ears 10/10 TR/PTR | 10/10 Pop 2008-09 CM 11/06 Offsite 2004-05 CP/First Visit
Me DF
Old 06-23-2011, 09:55 PM   #21
shelbys mommy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by therussells08 View Post
my other Joni! I can't wait to hear your commentary during this report. You kind of got the worst of my insane texts!
AHAHAHAHA!!!! It was the best texts EVER!!! I was literally
Old 06-23-2011, 09:56 PM   #22
therussells08
Roger, Simba One!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cree629 View Post
I'm on board!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechesters420 View Post
I'm in too!
too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintstickets View Post
From one Southerner to another - Y'all got room for one more? Shotgun!!
Yay! I reckon we got room! I'm glad to have you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbuzz52 View Post
Great start! Sounds like fun!
Thank you! I hope you enjoy, and

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelMel11 View Post
Im here!! Also from North Carolina!!!
That is so cool that you are from NC too! Where abouts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMissy318 View Post
I'm In! I'm from the upper South - Virginia - still below the Mason-Dixon though! We can still pull an accent if we need to! The trip report sounds AWESOME! Can't wait to tag along for the ride and find out what all the laughing is about!

Thank your DH for us!
It's great to have another southerner on board! I hope you enjoy my TR!

Thank you for saying that to my husband, I will be sure to tell him. That means a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartDDuck View Post
Joining.

Can't wait to hear more!
I hope you enjoy it!
Old 06-23-2011, 09:58 PM   #23
therussells08
Roger, Simba One!

Quote:
Am I really your longest reader? I'm not sure who mine would be... Maybe PrincessInOz, but I'm really not sure.
You are! I will never forget when you started reading my first PTR. I was so worried that I would never have any readers, and you were so nice!

Quote:
AHAHAHAHA!!!! It was the best texts EVER!!! I was literally
Yeah everyone at Disney World thought I was nuts while I was laughing over those texts!
Old 06-23-2011, 10:00 PM   #24
shelbys mommy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yeah everyone at Disney World thought I was nuts while I was laughing over those texts!
You should have seen my house! They all thought I was nuts. I literally had tears streaming down my face!
Old 06-23-2011, 10:02 PM   #25
DisneyFirefly

Quote:
You are! I will never forget when you started reading my first PTR. I was so worried that I would never have any readers, and you were so nice!
Awwwww I love reading your PTRs and TRs You guys always take such awesome trips Plus, I love reading about you guys enjoying the world as a couple, since I've only ever been to DAK for a few hours with a significant other, let alone a whole week.

Follow The Bouncing Ears 10/10 TR/PTR | 10/10 Pop 2008-09 CM 11/06 Offsite 2004-05 CP/First Visit
Me DF
Old 06-23-2011, 10:04 PM   #26
therussells08
Roger, Simba One!

You Might Be a Redneck...

Wow! I can't believe I have so many readers all ready! Y'all are awesome!

Okay, on with the first update!

I decided to title this post "You Might Be a Redneck..." because that seemed to be the theme of our traveling day to Disney. Like I mentioned in my introduction post I am from North Carolina, and we are about as southern as you can get. That being said, it's not very often that I stop to notice exactly how "country" we are. When I do take the time to notice, however, I realize that we are REALLY country. I don't like to say redneck because it carries such a negative connotation, but well, if the huntin' boot fits, I say wear it!

The night before we left for our trip I was, as you can imagine, about to explode with excitement. I tried to pull the same trick that I always do, which is pretend to be nonchalant and hide the fact that my blood pressure is through the roof as a result of my ecstatic anticipation. I talked to my mom on the phone, faked a few yawns, and went to bed. I guess this was my weak attempt to convince myself and everyone else that I actually was calm enough to go to sleep.

Yeah right. I gave up on that whole charade around midnight. John was snoring next to me, completely immune to the Disney insomnia bug. I believe that my John could be preparing for the second coming of our maker and he still wouldn't be too excited to sleep. Anyway, midnight-ish was when I got up and posted the link on my Facebook account to the "I'm too excited to sleep" Disney commercial. That made me feel a little better. It's normal not being able to sleep before a Disney trip. I could get by on a couple of hours. I would be in the car all day tomorrow anyway, so I could just sleep then. It'll be fine. Sure. Right.

Wrong. I woke up the next morning at 5:00 (after about two hours of sleep) looking and feeling like a large vehicle had backed over me. If I remember correctly, John's first words to me that morning were, "Look at your hair!" Ugh. Thanks honey. But none of that mattered! I was going to Florida today, and in just a few short days I would be in Disney. Nothing could ruin my morning, not even if that hypothetical large vehicle had literally backed over me!

It only took a nice refreshing shower and a few minutes of consciousness for excitement to kick exhaustion's butt. I got ready quickly, John packed up the car, and we left our apartment at 6:00 on the button. Before we could hit the open road we had to drop our fur babies off at my mom's house. She was going to be watching them for the duration of our trip, bless her soul, and she was SO thrilled to have us showing up on her doorstep at 6:15 with two hyper dogs. Being the considerate daughter that I am, I carried them straight upstairs and tossed them in the bed with her, cold noses and all. I chatted about the trip for a few minutes, much to my mother's dismay, and then we said our goodbyes. Actually, I believe my mom's goodbye was more like, "Get the h-e-double hockey sticks out of here so I can go back to sleep!"

We hit the road at exactly 6:36 am! The first thing I did was plug in Lee, my austrailian GPS, and enter the address for Loews Royal Pacific Resort at Universal Orlando. Lee did his thing and estimated that we would arrive at 3:50pm. Awesome! I settled in for a very long car ride and turned the radio to my favorite station. I knew I only had a little bit of time before we were out of the station's range, so I wanted to enjoy the morning show while I could.

Okay, here we go with the first redneck moment of the day. The morning show that I listen to (Rod and Lora) do this thing every morning called The Impossible Question. They ask a really vague question that usually deals with some kind of percentage statistic, and then people call in and guess the answer. I never call in, but I love playing along. The question this morning was "93% of households have this. What is it?" Before the question had been out of the DJ's mouth for a millisecond, my wonderful husband shouts out, with total and complete confidence in his answer, "A GUN!"

Really? A gun? 93% of households have a gun? Okay. I decided to try something a little more likely and I guessed a TV. Turns out we were both wrong. The answer was a junk drawer. I remember the conversation that followed the revealing of the correct answer.

John: "That's ridiculous. I don't believe that many people have junk drawers."
Me: "Really? I do. We have one."
John: "Yeah but we also have guns. Lots of 'em."
Me: "But did you really think 93% of households do? I mean, do you think that many people want to own a gun?"
John: (Huffily ) "Well, they should."

Chalk that up as Redneck Moment # 1. After this conversation things were pretty normal. We reached our first highway, 421 N, at 6:49. By 7:04 we were moving on to 77 S. If any of you are reading my previous TR you might remember that I mentioned that Charlotte, NC is the bane of my existence. I felt really bad because I know a lot of people are from Charlotte and I didn't want to offend them. It's just too big of a city for me. There's a lot I don't like about being in a city that big. Case and point, as soon as we reached Charlotte that morning we got stuck in bumper to bumper traffic. While we waited I tried to calm my nerves by taking a few pictures.

Here's downtown Charlotte.

Here's Carowinds, or as I like to call it, the anti-Disney.

One good thing about Charlotte is that it is very close to the South Carolina border, so by the time we were out of the traffic we were in a new state! I texted Joni (shelbys_mommy) to let her know. I'm sure she really appreciated this, because it was still really early. Sorry Joni! I managed to miss the welcoming sign for SC, so I settled for taking a rest area sign. It could be argued that this was Redneck Moment # 2.

Once we made it to SC the exhaustion had crept over me again and I fell asleep. John was kind enough to take a lovely picture of me with my mouth hanging open and text it to me. I won't share that with you, but I'm sure you can imagine how grateful I was.

When we got to Columbia John woke me up for breakfast. My sister had given me a Cracker Barrel gift card for my birthday and I had hoarded it away for this trip, so we were both really excited to eat here for free!

We went inside and we seated immediately. I had never seen a Cracker Barrel this empty! I had to take a picture of the menu and the decor.

The deer/creepy old picture mantle combo looked EXACTLY like my in-laws mantle! How weird!

For his breakfast John decided to get what I think was called The Country Boy Breakfast or something like that. What they should have called it was "The Left Side of the Menu" because I have never in my life seen so much food!

There's a general idea, but that's just what I could fit in the frame of my picture!

Moving on to my breakfast will lead us into the definite Redneck Moment # 2. Now anyone else who is from the south will know that biscuits n' gravy is a staple breakfast round these parts. It just so happens to be my breakfast of choice, so that's what I ordered. That's a little redneck, but not too bad. Here's where it crosses into Jeff Foxworthy territory. What, you may ask, did I order as my side item to my biscuits and sausage gravy breakfast? Why, sausage, of course!

Nothing goes better with sausage than more sausage! That's a life lesson I can take to the bank, if my arteries don't harden first. I enjoyed my double dose of pig breakfast, and we headed out. We managed to keep our bill under the $25 gift card limit, tip and all, so we got off totally free! Alright!

When we got back out to the parking lot John decided to lower his man flag and let me take the wheel for awhile. I hopped behind the wheel and plugged in one of my Disney CDs while he curled up and slept. I managed to drive until almost noon before I was going stir crazy, so we stopped in SC to get gas and change places.

I took a picture of the gas station. Don't ask me why, but I did. It wasn't a very impressive gas station, but I guess I wanted to make sure you were with me every step of the way!

One exciting thing that I did notice at this gas station was palm trees!

John asked me why I love palm trees so much, and I explained to him that I've never been anywhere with palm trees that didn't make me happy. They just represent fun places to me!

Not long after our gas station stop we were in Georgia!

Georgia is the quick state on our drive, so by 2 o'clock we were seeing this beautiful sight!

Getting to Florida is always deceiving because I feel like we should almost be there, but I always forget that we still have like three hours of our drive left. I started to get a little antsy around Daytona Beach, so we stopped to stretch our legs again. I took a picture of this gas station too. It's a little prettier than the first one, though. It has waves on it.

This ended up being the last stop of our journey, and at 4:30 we arrived at our first destination: Loews Royal Pacific Resort!

Up Next: Mr. and Mrs. Frugal give themselves a hernia so they don't have to tip the bellhop.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:09 PM   #27
therussells08
Roger, Simba One!

Quote:
You should have seen my house! They all thought I was nuts. I literally had tears streaming down my face!
That was hilarious!

Quote:
Awwwww I love reading your PTRs and TRs You guys always take such awesome trips Plus, I love reading about you guys enjoying the world as a couple, since I've only ever been to DAK for a few hours with a significant other, let alone a whole week.
Thank you so much! I'm glad you enjoy them. I always enjoy your stuff so much too! Your Halloween trip was one of my favorite TRs ever!
Old 06-23-2011, 10:14 PM   #28
shelbys mommy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The night before we left for our trip I was, as you can imagine, about to explode with excitement. I tried to pull the same trick that I always do, which is pretend to be nonchalant and hide the fact that my blood pressure is through the roof as a result of my ecstatic anticipation. I talked to my mom on the phone, faked a few yawns, and went to bed. I guess this was my weak attempt to convince myself and everyone else that I actually was calm enough to go to sleep.

Yeah right. I gave up on that whole charade around midnight. John was snoring next to me, completely immune to the Disney insomnia bug. I believe that my John could be preparing for the second coming of our maker and he still wouldn't be too excited to sleep. Anyway, midnight-ish was when I got up and posted the link on my Facebook account to the "I'm too excited to sleep" Disney commercial. That made me feel a little better. It's normal not being able to sleep before a Disney trip. I could get by on a couple of hours. I would be in the car all day tomorrow anyway, so I could just sleep then. It'll be fine. Sure. Right.
I never sleep either! And I remember your post on "I'm too excited to sleep". I was so happy for you!!!

Quote:
Actually, I believe my mom's goodbye was more like, "Get the h-e-double hockey sticks out of here so I can go back to sleep!"
So totally something I would have said!!! And you did something I would have totally done!

Quote:
John: "That's ridiculous. I don't believe that many people have junk drawers."
Me: "Really? I do. We have one."
John: "Yeah but we also have guns. Lots of 'em."
Me: "But did you really think 93% of households do? I mean, do you think that many people want to own a gun?"
John: (Huffily ) "Well, they should."
No guns here!

Quote:
I texted Joni (shelbys_mommy) to let her know. I'm sure she really appreciated this, because it was still really early. Sorry Joni!
Not a problem at all! I wanted to know what was going on, because I am just that nosy!

Quote:
Once we made it to SC the exhaustion had crept over me again and I fell asleep. John was kind enough to take a lovely picture of me with my mouth hanging open and text it to me. I won't share that with you, but I'm sure you can imagine how grateful I was.
I didn't get that pic either!

Love the pics of the gas stations! You crack me up!

Florida is such a tease! We get there in 4 hours. With another 8 hrs left to drive!

I am soooooooooo ready for more!!!
Old 06-23-2011, 10:24 PM   #29
DisneyFirefly

Quote:
Thank you so much! I'm glad you enjoy them. I always enjoy your stuff so much too! Your Halloween trip was one of my favorite TRs ever!
I'm glad you enjoyed that TR I had such a blast on that trip. I can't wait to go again I really hope this December trip works out I really think that we all need to get a big group of us from the Dis together and do a big Dis trip

Me DF
Old 06-23-2011, 10:27 PM   #30
DisneyFirefly

Yeah, we don't have guns in this house My mom won't let my dad keep one, and I'd never live in a house with one. I don't like guns, except in law enforcement or military hands.

It looks like you guys had a good drive down, though And oh my GOD that's a lot of food John got at the Cracker Barrel

Me DF

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: