Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2011, 04:08 PM   #1
BigDisneyOE
DIS Veteran

Car seat laws in California?

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me with what is the car seat law in California. We are hoping to do some touring after Disneyland and a Wonder cruise, so we will need carseats for our two nearly five year old kids. Does anyone know what specific carseat is required for this age group? I'm considering taking our ones from NZ as our carrier takes them for free but I want to make sure they are up to California safety requirements. Thanks everyone.

BigDisneyOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:00 PM   #2
Shananana
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDisneyOE View Post
Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me with what is the car seat law in California. We are hoping to do some touring after Disneyland and a Wonder cruise, so we will need carseats for our two nearly five year old kids. Does anyone know what specific carseat is required for this age group? I'm considering taking our ones from NZ as our carrier takes them for free but I want to make sure they are up to California safety requirements. Thanks everyone.
Car sits out here are based on age. You need a car seat up to 6 years old. My daughter just turned six and is still in a booster seat. I think boosters are fine for 5 year olds as long as they fit in the manufacturer's guidelines.
HTH!
Old 07-01-2011, 08:01 PM   #3
wnissen
Mouseketeer

The California law says boosters are OK over 40 pounds /18.2 kg, kids must be 6 years or 60 pounds / 27.2 kg.

Unfortunately, the seat must meet U.S. federal standards to be legal. Typically the manufacturers deliberately only label for one country at a time. In my opinion, it's stupid, but that is the law. Realistically, my guess is you would be fine from a legal perspective, but who knows? The rates for rental car seats are outrageous, so you would probably be better off just running to Wal-Mart and buying new ones for US$25. Stupid, but that's probably what I'd do, especially if I was looking at $100 per seat for a two week rental.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: