Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2011, 12:59 PM   #16
aggordon2
Mouseketeer

Besides filling out the forms from the email, we call the restaurant directly and talk with the chefs on the phone. We explain all the different allergies that both our kids have (one is allergic to dairy and eggs, and the other is on a gluten free, dairy free diet). We feel that talking to the chefs directly helps ease our anxiety and makes our vacation that much better.

DIS Dad's Club Member #576

aggordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:10 PM   #17
nfceagles
Mouseketeer

Can I ask where you find the phone numbers to reach the chefs directly?
nfceagles is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-09-2011, 04:55 PM   #18
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenshanem View Post
I emailed last week, got two emails back. One was a general email stating someone will contact me soon. The second email said to let the servers know when I arrived and then there was an attachment with allergy info inside the parks, but no form to fill out. I was surprised, we go alot and this is the first time I got no form to send back? I did send my resort reservation number so maybe they pulled it up themselves?
I just wanted to share our latest experience. I just emailed this morning for our August trip. I indicated that we had several unusual lists of allergies and I requested the allergy form to fill out. I didn't actually expect to hear back today as it's the weekend but I got an email back within a couple hours with the latest version of the allergy form and the general special diets attachment with some foods with their common allergens listed (no specific allergy attachments because I didn't indicate our allergens yet) as well as a long email. I notice that in the email it says:
Quote:
Common Food Allergies include:

- gluten or wheat
- shellfish
- soy
- lactose or dairy
- peanuts and tree nuts
- fish
- eggs
- corn

If a member of your party has one of the common food allergies listed
above please speak with a chef or a manager on duty when arriving at the
dining location. They will be happy to assist with your selection and
provide product labels and ingredients for menu items.

Guests with requests associated with the list below should fill out the
attached Guest Allergy Dietary Request From and return it by email to
specialdiets@disneyworld.com or fax to 407-560-2992. Be sure to list
the restaurant names, reservation number(s) and dates where you plan to
dine. This way we can alert all the various restaurant Chefs and
Managers of your upcoming visit and there would be no need for you to
contact the individual restaurants directly.

- PKU
- Metabolic disorders
- A single guest with 4 or more allergies/intolerances
This makes me think that if a person is only dealing with 1-3 allergies and all of them are listed allergens then they're no longer bothering with filling out the forms. I'm not saying if this is a good move or not. What I do know is that our last trip left me not feeling the love from special diets since it seemed as though none of the chefs knew we were coming even with the forms and the notes on our ADRs. I'm not sure what this change will do to improve the situation..

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:26 PM   #19
book_junkie
DIS Veteran

Restaurants Never Got the Forms

Last year, for both trips (one a mother/daughter and one with my hubby), I contacted WDW separately about my allergies ( Caspian peppers *anything but black and white pepper*, cherries and bananas) as well as getting sugar free treats for the Halloween Parties (type two diabetes).

I filled out the form they sent twice, once for each trip, listing every reservation and the party dates, and the ONLY place that had that info was Town Hall in MK, where we had to check in to get a voucher for sugar free snacks (which was WONDERFUL!!!!).

When I made the table service reservations online, I made sure to call back closer to our trips, and have the cast member note in the reservation that there was an allergy.

When we got there, on BOTH trips, NONE of the table service restaurants had the allergies specified, so I made sure to mention it to our server, who then had the chef come out to the table and walked through the menu and what they could/could not do.

The restaurants themselves were wonderful in handling it, but I wouldn't count on special diets to handle things entirely, especially if it's a violent/ life threatening reaction.

Past Trips: Oct 14 Cruise & Land; Nov-Dec 2013; May 2013 WDW; Oct-Nov 2012 WDW; Oct 2011 WDW Mother/Daughter Getaway; Oct/Nov 2010 WDW; Oct 2010 WDW Mother/Daughter Getaway; Oct 2009 WDW; June 2008 DL ; Nov 2007 WDW Clan Reunion; Nov 2004 WDW; June 1994 WDW Family Trip; March 1986 WDW Family Trip
book_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:29 PM   #20
livndisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanmcculloch View Post

This makes me think that if a person is only dealing with 1-3 allergies and all of them are listed allergens then they're no longer bothering with filling out the forms. I'm not saying if this is a good move or not. What I do know is that our last trip left me not feeling the love from special diets since it seemed as though none of the chefs knew we were coming even with the forms and the notes on our ADRs. I'm not sure what this change will do to improve the situation..
I know what you mean. The last few interactions with Special Diets have been "less than magical". It is frustrating to spend the time making arrangements to arrive and find no information had been forwarded. And even worse to arrive and find they have no "safe" food for you.
livndisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:37 PM   #21
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

And I want to add something to my last post. Within 10 minutes of posting this, I received a email from Casey with Special Diets saying that she's forwarding my form to all of the chefs at each location (we have 10 ADRs plus I asked questions about my resort). She did also stress the importance of speaking with a chef or manager at each location.

Within 10 minutes of receiving her email, my phone was ringing with WDW in the caller ID. It was a chef from Coral Reef. Woo Hoo!! I had listed a bunch of questions in my email but none of them were specific to CR so I was very surprised. Most of the food there is easy to modify to make safe if any modifications are even necessary which they aren't for many dishes so it was a short conversation. I told him not to worry about the fact that none of the bread is safe for them; it was one of my questions for Plaza and we really don't need bread at CR (neither the regular nor the allergy breads at WDW are safe for them). He was saying he'd try to find something so that's why I told him not to bother. My girls were very happy to hear that there will be dessert other than plain old Tofutti ice cream for them. DD13 has lately been asking about getting mangos more often so hearing that the chef said they have a mango sorbet that's be safe has her very excited. DD10 loved her sundae with shaved chocolate and the chef explained that they have a dedicated grater just for shaving chocolate for allergy sundaes. How great is that? DD13 went for spending much of the day in autistic meltdowns to suddenly being VERY happy. Funny how food can get her so excited. I really can understand. How great is WDW!!

Anyway, for the moment I'm feeling pretty good about the Special Diets department again.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
Old 07-09-2011, 05:44 PM   #22
livndisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanmcculloch View Post
And I want to add something to my last post. Within 10 minutes of posting this, I received a email from Casey with Special Diets saying that she's forwarding my form to all of the chefs at each location (we have 10 ADRs plus I asked questions about my resort). She did also stress the importance of speaking with a chef or manager at each location.

Within 10 minutes of receiving her email, my phone was ringing with WDW in the caller ID. It was a chef from Coral Reef. Woo Hoo!! I had listed a bunch of questions in my email but none of them were specific to CR so I was very surprised. Most of the food there is easy to modify to make safe if any modifications are even necessary which they aren't for many dishes so it was a short conversation. I told him not to worry about the fact that none of the bread is safe for them; it was one of my questions for Plaza and we really don't need bread at CR (neither the regular nor the allergy breads at WDW are safe for them). He was saying he'd try to find something so that's why I told him not to bother. My girls were very happy to hear that there will be dessert other than plain old Tofutti ice cream for them. DD13 has lately been asking about getting mangos more often so hearing that the chef said they have a mango sorbet that's be safe has her very excited. DD10 loved her sundae with shaved chocolate and the chef explained that they have a dedicated grater just for shaving chocolate for allergy sundaes. How great is that? DD13 went for spending much of the day in autistic meltdowns to suddenly being VERY happy. Funny how food can get her so excited. I really can understand. How great is WDW!!

Anyway, for the moment I'm feeling pretty good about the Special Diets department again.
Want to send some pixie dust my way? LOL We are planning two (possible third) trips onsite for the next couple of months and the whole "food" thing is holding me back. I guess we can't eat just from babycakes the whole time, but man baked potatos in MK get boring after awhile.
livndisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:00 PM   #23
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by livndisney View Post
Want to send some pixie dust my way? LOL We are planning two (possible third) trips onsite for the next couple of months and the whole "food" thing is holding me back. I guess we can't eat just from babycakes the whole time, but man baked potatos in MK get boring after awhile.
I can sympathize. I really can. I've got 10 ADRs for our upcoming 8 night trip and we'll be eating breakfast every day in our room using food from Garden Grocer and hopefully some treats from Babycakes if they get their delivery sorted out (they told me they think they will in time for our August trip).

What foods can't you eat? At MK if we're looking for CS then we typically go to Columbia Harbour House for chicken tenders with fries or Cosmic Ray's for either rotisserie chicken or burgers (in our case bunless since the Ener-G buns aren't safe for us). I know somebody not long ago mentioned that CR wouldn't make fries for them but they did for us in February. We walked in around 11:15 so well before the lunch rush and the manager had to bake them since there wasn't a dedicated fryer (he was so cute with his excitement over the possibility of getting a dedicated fryer in the near future). Maybe he could do it for us since the place was nearly empty and he had time and room in the oven? It did take a good 20 minutes to get our food but it's so worth the wait.

I just heard from a chef at Beach Club which covers 5 of my 10 ADRs plus questions I had about our resort (we're staying at YC). Because we're eating there so often and staying there for our trip he's going to get the chefs together to see what kind of dessert options they can come up with for DD13 since she can't eat any of the packaged allergy treats. I'm SO excited for her. He's also going to see if they can come up with some kind of fun sundae for my girls at Beaches & Cream. He gave me his email address so I can email him lists of any foods I'd like for them to have on hand for us and he'll see which ones he can manage. He's also going to talk with chef Dan at Pop who helped us find the bread that we now use at home and has helped us several times. I am disappointed that nowhere at BC/YC can we get CS chicken tenders but I was told that we can ask for them to go at any of the TS restaurants. It just stinks that we'll have to pay TS prices for them (the chef didn't say that; I'm assuming). They don't make them even at Beaches & Cream but he did say I could order them there if I want and they'll make them in the Captain's Grille kitchen. The chef also discussed how they handle food allergies in club level (for future trips since he brought it up) and it sounds very similar to Poly which was such a great experience for us both times.

I'm feeling so good about our trip right now.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:10 PM   #24
nfceagles
Mouseketeer

Thanks for posting that information @clanmcculloch. That explains a lot of questions we've been having recently. Not sure if it's good news or not. Sounds like you need 4+ allergies to get the same custom experience we've all grown accustomed to. Never been so glad to be in that category.
nfceagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:44 AM   #25
HsvScrapGirl
Earning My Ears

Another source to back up this change is WDW website. If you go to the section that talks about food allergies at table service locations, it indicates that they don't even want you contacting special diets anymore unless you have multiple food allergies or one that isn't on their list. They are just encouraging you to have it noted on your reservations and tell them when you arrive.
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/gue...tary-requests/

This is very disappointing when you consider that Disney just received recognition/an award from Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network last year. Why break something that works? This change messes with my comfort zone a bit.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:36 PM   #26
Minnie
DIS Veteran

I've never had much luck with the special diet form. I don't remember a restaurant or hotel that ever mentioned receiving the form.

I do note the allergy on the reservation, ask for dairy free / gluten free info, and then due to multiple allergies inform the CM when we check in.

Thankfully all chefs I've dealt with have been great - some better than others - and I've always found something safe to eat.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:44 PM   #27
CarrieR
DIS Veteran

To a degree, I can understand that. I would think for, say, a dairy allergy, they have "systems" in place that kick in. If I was just dealing with a single, simple allergy, I'm not sure I would feel the need to contact special diets though, kwim?

When you are dealing with a host of unusual allergies though (as is the case with my party and I know most on here,) it's not really an option to go in "blind."

That said, we've been told (more or less) at a few restaurants lately that they get so many forms they don't even read them. I can see where, if they see a ton of forms that are peanut free, tree nut free, gluten free OR dairy free (or whatever single allergy,) their eyes start to glaze over and it's easy to miss the person who's allergic to ALL of that as well as half the fruits and veggies in the civilized world? Perhaps this is an attempt to put the focus on the MFA people, for whom there are not pre-designed systems in place.

I feel like Disney has a pretty good grasp on the common stuff. I have also been *thrilled* at how much they've taken our non-common allergens in stride. This is typically without having a clue WHAT the allergens are; they just get the red 'allergy' stamp on our ticket and send the chef on out. I have to say I'm not too panicked about not sending the forms in advance since my recent experiences have been great (despite advance preparation.)
CarrieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:00 PM   #28
Minnie
DIS Veteran

I have multiple food allergies/intolerance issues and have had good luck most of the time. I'm GF/DF/FF (most fruits/veggies) so it's tough. Sometimes the chefs just don't understand - how about a nice plate of fruit for a FF diet but once explained it worked. Though the options are at times very very limited so calling ahead is probably the best idea as many have had great success with this option.

The worst time I've had was at Captain Cooks (quick service Poly) - ended up having a Diet Coke for dinner that night and at Hurricane Hannah's at the BC - ended up grabbing chips from the BC marketplace The event parties at the MK are also almost impossible so I eat early or forget it....
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:20 PM   #29
davebon23
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
I have multiple food allergies/intolerance issues and have had good luck most of the time. I'm GF/DF/FF (most fruits/veggies) so it's tough. Sometimes the chefs just don't understand - how about a nice plate of fruit for a FF diet but once explained it worked. Though the options are at times very very limited so calling ahead is probably the best idea as many have had great success with this option.

The worst time I've had was at Captain Cooks (quick service Poly) - ended up having a Diet Coke for dinner that night and at Hurricane Hannah's at the BC - ended up grabbing chips from the BC marketplace The event parties at the MK are also almost impossible so I eat early or forget it....
Minnie,
Off topic here, I know.
Is the FF, fructose free? If so, how were you diagnosed if you don't mind my asking? I have Celiac and have been having some problems since last year. So just wondering and what symptoms you had. If you don't want to answer here, can you email me at davebon23@msn.com. Thanks in advance!
Couple times as a kid around 1974 when we lived in FL. All Star Sports 5/98, All Star Movies 11/00, All Star Movies 9/01, Coronado Springs 8/03(BIL's wedding at Disney), Port Orleans French Quarter 2/07, French Quarter 8/11, UPCOMING CBR 9/2013
Me DH DS(18)(OFF TO COLLEGE) DD(16)
url=http://distickers.com/ticker/][/url]
davebon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:05 AM   #30
chou4555
Just retired!

Is the FF Frustose free?

My understanding is that it is.

But I am not a doctor!

I read this thread with interest as I have a relatively mild Lactose intolerance, which I am going to raise with my Orlando Hotel well in advance of my family's trip to Disney. I'm not anticipating any problems, in my experience reports and hotels will go the extra mile in trying to make sure you have the diet you want.

For many months thought I had IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) but saw this video on You Tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V81uwYDa0Q
and that got me thinking it may be lactose intolerance.

It turned it it was, so I was very grateful as I might have been taking the wrong medication!! I hope others don't make the same mistake as the symptoms are similar!

By the way, saw something funny in a frenct hotel the other day. On TV they were showing Donald Duck cartoon- he was saying "What's up Doc" in French... it came out as something like:

Quest-ce-que ce passe monsieur le Docteur s'il vous plait?!!!"
chou4555 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: