Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2011, 07:33 PM   #16
DisneyMissy318
DIS Veteran

The entryway queue at Pirates of the Caribbean?

Great start to the trip report!
Old 06-27-2011, 10:33 PM   #17
jusero
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsilverspring View Post
Haunted Mansion?
Right ride. But where?

1982, 1985, Disneyland
Sept., 1995: Shades of Geen, WDW
Oct. 2006: Disneyland
May, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012: Shades of Green, WDW
Dec. 2008: Shades of Green, WDW

2011 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2745311
2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2933651
2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3201400

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-27-2011, 10:36 PM   #18
jusero
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMissy318 View Post
The entryway queue at Pirates of the Caribbean?

Great start to the trip report!
Nope.

1982, 1985, Disneyland

Old 06-28-2011, 06:36 PM   #19
rcsilverspring
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusero View Post
Right ride. But where?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I gotta think about it. I'm just thrilled that I had the correct ride!

June 1989-Polynesian, June 1991-Polynesian June 2008-FINALLY back to the Polynesian after 17 years!!!!
May 2011- headed back "home" to the Poly! Dec. 2012-Girls only trip to WL to finally see the Christmas decorations (Sorry Poly)
]
Old 07-01-2011, 03:02 PM   #20
haleofafamily
DIS Veteran

A little late, but I'm in.

I can't wait to read all about your trip!

Merci
June 85 Off, July 92 Off, June 00 AsSp, Sept 04 SSR, May 06 OKW, Sept 07 WL/BCV, May 08 BWV, Dec 08 SSR, Mar 09 Off, Sept 09 AKV Kidani/OKW, May 10 POP/VWL/Dol, Dec 10 AKV, FEB 11 BCV (1st Princess Half Marathon), FEB 12 Poly (2nd Princess Half Marathon), May 12 AKV and THV(Family Reunion!!) Nov 12 FLE Preview SSR/AoA, FEB 13 CSR/YC (3rd Princess Half Marathon)
Old 07-02-2011, 09:18 AM   #21
jusero
DIS Veteran

Hi all! Chapter two is in the works and should be up this weekend.

HAPPY 4TH!!:

1982, 1985, Disneyland

Old 07-05-2011, 06:02 PM   #22
jusero
DIS Veteran

Chapter Two: We’re Home!
I was up first and got ready. I woke Leo on my way out to get our “free” breakfast so he could get ready while I was gone. Of course, those “free” breakfasts aren’t much to write home about, but it’s free. Anyway, we were out of the hotel and on the road by 8 a.m.

The next four hours were pretty uneventful but the excitement was building with every passing mile. And even more so once we started seeing the mileage signs for the World.

It was about noon when we passed under the “welcome to the World” sign. It’s a good thing Leo was driving because I nearly jumped out of the moving car. And, of course, I had to take the picture. Don’t know why I feel I have to take this photo each and every year, but I do.

One of these years I would like to go to the World and leave the big camera at home. You know, just enjoy the trip without lugging the Pentax, lenses and various accessories around all the time. But, as Leo says, “Yah, right. That’ll happen.”

Anyway, we made it to Shades of Green and parked in the garage. They really need to make the parking spaces bigger than for Matchbox Cars and pregnant roller skates. It’s hard to park even an eco car in these spaces and have room to get out, let alone an SUV … and we don’t even have one of the big ones.

After greasing myself up and squeezing out of the car like a lupini bean, I went to the front desk to see if our room was ready. I knew it probably wasn’t since it was so early, but … can’t hurt to ask.

Happy news! It is ready. Although we didn’t get our fave room (2102), we did get one not too far down the hall and just around the corner (2144). Not too shabby and not too far from the lobby or garage and overlooks the golf course. Nice and quiet.

We unloaded the car and then headed to the ticket counter. Yay! There was only one person in line. Well, we got to the counter within minutes and ordered our tickets. “Military ID and credit card please.” Oops, I left my ID in the room. Double oops, Leo’s is in the room too. Shoot. Back to the room.

Back at the counter within just five minutes or so and, you guessed it … there must have been a sudden rush to the ticket counter because there was now a long line. Shoot, shoot, shoot! And booooooooo…

Finally, after what seemed like hours (but more like 20-30 minutes), we had our tickets in hand (including a free one to Gatorland). Making our way back to the room, I start skipping down the hall, across the lobby and down the other hall to our room. Well, actually, it was more like the Wizard of Oz skip. All while the hubby hangs his head in embarrassment. But as soon as we are around the corner and out of sight of others, he joined in my skipping.

Back to the room and a quick change out of our traveling clothes, and we are on our way to Magic Kingdom! Since our feet are still fresh and we are so giddy with excitement, we decided to walk down the road to the Poly to catch the monorail to the park.

As we left Shades, I noticed this really mean, but cool, looking grasshopper in the bushes along the sidewalk. When I stopped to take its picture with my macro lens, I noticed there was more than one. More like dozens, if not a hundred or more, all over the bushes. They were so big and mean looking, it was kind of creepy. Bugs don’t usually creep me out (except spiders … eeeewwww), but these guys were about as big as my thumb. I was just waiting for one of them to jump off the bush and onto my lens since I was just a couple inches from them. That would have had an interesting result!

Once we crossed the street and were meandering through the Poly’s grounds, the sights, sounds and smells hit home. We are really at the World!!! Then, the “please step away from the doors” and the slightly stinky aromas of the monorail put me over the top. Ever see a slightly overweight, half-a-centurion lunatic doing the running man dance on the monorail? If so … that was me!

It was about 3 p.m. by the time we pulled into the Magic Kingdom station and found it to be VERY hot and crowded. It almost felt like July or August to me. It’s amazing how much a difference two weeks makes. We usually come the first week of May and the weather is warm, but not hot, and the crowds are pretty manageable. I never saw so many people in the parks before. I was really worried about the rest of our trip because I don’t handle crowds well. I get a bit on the cranky side.

But, this is the World!

Of course, our normal routine is to head directly to Pirates and then skip on over to the Haunted Mansion. So, this is exactly what we did. I was pleasantly surprised to see no lines to speak of at either ride.

We were on and off Pirates in no time at all and, since the line was still at five minutes, we decided to jump back on for a second ride. The line was still at five minutes when we got off the second ride and, since Leo needed a potty break and wanted to watch the pirates show, I went back on for a third run. Have I ever told you I love the Pirates ride?

As I was running from the exit and headed back to the entrance … again … Leo tackled me and hauled me off towards the Mansion. Oh, alright, if we must.

It was another happy surprise that the Mansion line was just 20 minutes. Where is everyone? Oh yah … who cares?

Yet another pleasant surprise was finding something new. Well, it wasn’t really a surprise, but pleasant nonetheless. We found the ‘new Q.’ And, since there were so few people in line, we had time to really play around with everything. Leo and I really liked the touch walls, or whatever they are called. I especially liked the cat on the second wall. I know I must have been annoying the heck out of those around me by making that cat scream so many times.

What really was a surprise were the updates they made inside the ride. I knew about the new Q (sorry, using Q is easier than trying to spell it out), but I didn’t know about what they did with the hitchhiking ghosts. Too cool! Ours didn’t just sit between us like usual, but he grabbed the tops of our heads, turned them green and then popped them like balloons!

I tried so many times to get a good pic of these ghosts, but none of them really came out. But, this is the best I could come up with.

With our fave two rides out of the way … for now … we headed into Fantasyland and meandered around a bit. The crowds are definitely heavier here, but still not as bad as I thought they would be considering the crowds along Main Street when we got here.

Since there was just five minutes until the next Philharmagic show, we popped in there. It was only about half full when we got there. I still think it’s amusing to watch how some people push and shove their way to the front to be as close to the doors as they can get. Then, when they get inside, they get surprised and annoyed when they have to “move all the way to the right” and can’t sit right in the middle and make everyone step over them. I just smile and think, “Ha! That’s what you get for being so pushy and thinking your rights are above the rest of us.”

Of course, my ‘negative thoughts’ came back to bite me. As I sat down right in the middle of the theater, still being a bit smug, I found a very tall man with mouse ears on his head sitting in front of me and a very smelly guy to my right. And I do mean smelly! Oh, my goodness. I couldn’t wait for the part of the show where they spray the pie smell in your face. Since I really couldn’t see much and the smell was about to make me hurl, needless to say, I didn’t enjoy the show very much. I guess that’s what I get.

After the show, we crisscrossed the park like a couple amateurs looking for squished penny machines. Did you know there are actually websites that track and list each and every squished penny throughout the parks? Since this is one of Leo’s Disney hobbies/collections, he printed out the list to take with him. Now, this list is like six pages long (front and back) with the exact location of each machine and which designs are in each machine. It was like a scavenger hunt.

While bouncing around the park, we managed to hit just about all of our fave rides with little to no waits. It’s amazing that, even with heavier crowds, the lines aren’t too bad.

Magic Kingdom was open for evening EMH today and we had planned on watching the fireworks and closing the park down. That was the plan, anyway. But our old ***** were just too pooped by 8 p.m. But we were determined to at least make it to the fireworks. After all, it is our tradition to watch Wishes our very first night and our very last night.

We opted to grab some dinner at Pecos Bill’s. Since neither of us was all that hungry, we got the kid’s meals. And they were the perfect amount of food for the occasion. Plus, the place was pretty empty at this hour since everyone was watching the parade.

By the time we were done with dinner, the parade was done and there was about 30 minutes left before Wishes. I wanted to see about getting pics of the fireworks from a different perspective, so I found a spot on the bridge in Fronteirland where I could see the castle. Well, part of the castle anyway.

While I grabbed a spot and set up the camera and tripod, Leo went to wander around a bit. When the fireworks began, I found that I could get some near the castle, but most were off farther to the left and not anywhere near the castle. Not a great location, but I got a few decent shots.

Oh and, by the way, I want to apologize up front. I have been studying low light and night photography, so this trip was my experimentation with it. Thus, I have lots and lots of low light and night photographs … some that came out pretty well while others, not so much. But I hope you don’t get too bored with them.

Anyway, back to the night. While I was shooting from the bridge, Leo had been trying to call me (about 15 missed calls in all) to tell me about a better spot. By the time I noticed the calls, Wishes was done. But I called, found out where he was and went to check out the spot.

He was right. It was a great spot where I could get the fireworks, the paddle boat and dock and the reflections in the water all in one shot. You can’t see the castle from here, but I thought it would make a great shot. I will have to come back another night to try the shot.

With Wishes done and the crowds dissipating, we made our way towards the front gate. We also decided to take the monorail to the TTC and catch the Shades bus instead of walking from the Poly.

We could not possibly be burned out after just about six hours in the park? Time will tell.

As we grabbed out seats on the monorail, we plopped down … right in a puddle of, something. We were hoping it was just spilled water.

Back in our room by 10 p.m., I used the extra time to unpack and get our belongings organized. And what did my helpful hubby do? Plopped across one of the beds with the remote and flipped around the TV until he found some sport or another. But that’s OK. Sometimes his helping causes more work for me.

You know, it was really kinda nice being in a bit early and having the chance to just chill. After the unpacking and organizing, I went out on the patio and just relaxed listening to the froggies singing.

A fine ending to a fabulous day! Tomorrow: Epcot.

Various shots from throughout the day:

1982, 1985, Disneyland

Last edited by jusero; 08-27-2011 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:42 PM   #23
BetsyRNBSN
Mouseketeer

Great TR so far, love reading and looking at the beautiful pictures!\
Getting excited for my trip at the beginning of September!
Keep up the awesome report!

Betsy in IN

Old 07-05-2011, 07:25 PM   #24
haleofafamily
DIS Veteran

I love your update and your pictures are amazing! I especially love the last one of the castle.

Merci
June 85 Off, July 92 Off, June 00 AsSp, Sept 04 SSR, May 06 OKW, Sept 07 WL/BCV, May 08 BWV, Dec 08 SSR, Mar 09 Off, Sept 09 AKV Kidani/OKW, May 10 POP/VWL/Dol, Dec 10 AKV, FEB 11 BCV (1st Princess Half Marathon), FEB 12 Poly (2nd Princess Half Marathon), May 12 AKV and THV(Family Reunion!!) Nov 12 FLE Preview SSR/AoA, FEB 13 CSR/YC (3rd Princess Half Marathon)
Old 07-06-2011, 01:53 PM   #25
jusero
DIS Veteran

Where in the World??

Correctly guessed by haleofamily: On the boat ride in the Mexico pavilion in Epcot.

1982, 1985, Disneyland

Last edited by jusero; 07-20-2011 at 10:34 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:24 AM   #26
DMGeurts
Never open texts with the "Hand Sewn Button" attachment!!!

Followed you over from the SoG thread!

Great TR so far... I've followed a few of yours before.

Great pics - you really did get some awesome ones... Can't wait to read the rest of your TR.

Oh and is the photo in the Poly?

D~
Old 07-07-2011, 11:56 AM   #27
jusero
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyRNBSN View Post
Great TR so far, love reading and looking at the beautiful pictures!\
Getting excited for my trip at the beginning of September!
Keep up the awesome report!
Thanks Betsy. I am excited for you for you upcoming trip. I know you will have a blast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by haleofafamily View Post
I love your update and your pictures are amazing! I especially love the last one of the castle.

Merci
Thanks. I was having fun shooting at night. And DH was being sooooo patient with my experimenting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMGeurts View Post
Followed you over from the SoG thread!

Great TR so far... I've followed a few of yours before.

Great pics - you really did get some awesome ones... Can't wait to read the rest of your TR.

Oh and is the photo in the Poly?

D~
Thanks D and welcome back!
And the Where in the World? pic is not at the Poly. : o )

1982, 1985, Disneyland

Last edited by jusero; 07-07-2011 at 12:03 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:01 PM   #28
haleofafamily
DIS Veteran

I have my kids involved in your 'where in the world' pics.

One son thinks it's on the Jungle Cruise ride.

One son thinks it's on the Mexico boat ride.

I think it's on Malestrom.

The rest have no idea, but they love looking at your pictures!
Old 07-07-2011, 04:15 PM   #29
dwonderz
Mouseketeer

I just started reading - great trip report :D!

"It all started with a mouse " - Walt Disney
"999 Ghosts ... And there's always room for one more" - The Haunted Mansion
Old 07-07-2011, 04:28 PM   #30
jusero
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by haleofafamily View Post
I have my kids involved in your 'where in the world' pics.

One son thinks it's on the Jungle Cruise ride.

One son thinks it's on the Mexico boat ride.

I think it's on Malestrom.

The rest have no idea, but they love looking at your pictures!
So glad everyone is having fun. I am having a blast with it too. And you guys are good! BUT! Only one of you is good enough to be right.

It is ... the boat ride in Mexico! Look closely at the right side of this pic.

1982, 1985, Disneyland

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: