Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2011, 02:22 PM   #151
Pluto_fan
DIS Veteran

What a great report on a fabulous day! I got goosebumps reading about the kids' reactions. They sure are cuties!
Disneyland Aug 2006, daytrip Mar 1989, daytrip Jun 1985, daytrip
Old 10-19-2011, 03:00 PM   #152
jusero
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluto_fan View Post
What a great report on a fabulous day! I got goosebumps reading about the kids' reactions. They sure are cuties!
Aw, thanks Pluto_fan. I think so too ... but I am just a bit biased.

1982, 1985, Disneyland
Sept., 1995: Shades of Geen, WDW
Oct. 2006: Disneyland
May, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012: Shades of Green, WDW
Dec. 2008: Shades of Green, WDW

2011 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2745311
2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2933651
2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3201400

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-19-2011, 08:48 PM   #153
sherylcin
Mouseketeer

All caught up now and have to say your day with the grands looked fabulous!! Nothing like those little short people to make everything more fun is there! I can't imagine going to Disney without mine! They are very cute and I love your "grand names". Lola and Lolo are very original!
2008 - DVC Members! Animal Kingdom Villas/Boardwalk Villas; 2009 - Offsite at Marriott's Grande Vista; 2010 - Grand Californian Villas in Disneyland; 2011 - BLT and Beach Club; 2012 - Ashton's Surprise 13th BD Trip at POP; 2013-OKW and BC then Offsite for Thanksgiving at Sheraton Vistana Villages
Old 10-19-2011, 10:40 PM   #154
jusero
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherylcin View Post
All caught up now and have to say your day with the grands looked fabulous!! Nothing like those little short people to make everything more fun is there! I can't imagine going to Disney without mine! They are very cute and I love your "grand names". Lola and Lolo are very original!
Thanks sherylcin, we had more fun then they did I think. Next time we will have to overlap our vacations by more than a couple days to spend more time with them. Lola and Lolo are actually Tagalog (the hubby is from the Philippines) for grandmother and grandfather. I like it too because it doesn't make me feel as old.

1982, 1985, Disneyland

Old 10-22-2011, 12:11 AM   #155
fromscratchmom
Mouseketeer

Lovin your TR and your wonderful pics. Also I just have to say, I don't think you have to be too terribly biased to think that is the best video EVER.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:15 PM   #156
sherylcin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Lola and Lolo are actually Tagalog (the hubby is from the Philippines) for grandmother and grandfather. I like it too because it doesn't make me feel as old.
And I learned something too!!
2008 - DVC Members! Animal Kingdom Villas/Boardwalk Villas; 2009 - Offsite at Marriott's Grande Vista; 2010 - Grand Californian Villas in Disneyland; 2011 - BLT and Beach Club; 2012 - Ashton's Surprise 13th BD Trip at POP; 2013-OKW and BC then Offsite for Thanksgiving at Sheraton Vistana Villages
Old 10-24-2011, 09:30 AM   #157
jusero
DIS Veteran

Where in the World?

Correctly guessed by: No one! I guess this one was tougher than I thought. It is one of the lamp posts along the walkway/bridge near the Crystal Palace in Magic Kingdom.

1982, 1985, Disneyland

Last edited by jusero; 11-02-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:18 PM   #158
jusero
DIS Veteran

Chapter Ten: And the force was with us

Today was originally our “alone day” when Leo and I split up for the day to do our own thing. It’s one of my favorite days of my vacation. Not that I don’t love spending time with the hubby, but I really love my alone time too.

Anyway, with the kids here, it would have been another day with the kids, but they wanted to do the first day of Star Wars Weekends. Can’t blame them. Especially since it was rumored that George Lucas may show up. Both Jason and Christopher are big time Star Wars fans.

Since major, major crowds were expected and I am notorious for avoiding them when at all possible, Leo would stay with the kids and I would split off on my own. I know … a crowd phobic person who loves Disney World?

We pried the kids out of bed early so we could get them to Hollywood Studios before opening. Padowan Chris needed to sign up for Jedi training and had to be at the park at rope drop. As you can see, the kids were not quite awake when we headed for the bus.

But Christopher was awake enough to be in character. He used “the force” to open all the doors on the way out. What was cool too was that the people in front of us would step aside and let Christopher go first so he could use the force to open the doors for all of us. Fun people at Shades.

We finally made it to the Studios and Jason whisked Christopher off for sign-up and Leo and Tanisha headed into the park with Jazzy. I made my way over to the boats to grab one to Epcot. On the way, I ran into Jedi Mickey and Princess Minnie being interviewed on live TV.

After taking some pics, I headed out to Epcot. I was meeting my Dis friend Rosemary there today and I figured I would do some shopping and wandering there in the mean time.

I got there about 30 minutes after park opening and found the place completely empty. I guess everyone was over at Star Wars Weekend.

First I headed off to Test Track, which I found to be a walk-up with not one person in line ahead of me. I took my time along the Q to look around and take a few pics. A few people passed me, but not many. When I made it to the pre-show room, I really was all alone. If I knew how to do cart wheels, I would have done a few. But, just as the doors were closing, a young family hopped in. Shoot, no pirouettes either.

When we got to the cars, I shared the front seat with two young men from Brazil. The one seated next to me was quite chatty … and more than a bit nervous. As the car headed out, he was hanging on for dear life, white knuckled and woo-hooing the whole way. And that was just up to the seat belt check point. He sure did have fun.

I hopped off and back on for a second run and then scooted over to Soarin’. Even an hour after opening, the line for Soarin’ was still just 30 minutes. And it actually only took about 15 to get on.

My plan was to jump off Soarin’ and head over to Spaceship Earth. I was really enjoying this nearly empty park. Well, you know what they say about best laid plans. When I got out of Soarin’, I found that someone had opened the flood gates. In just that short amount of time, the place was mobbed and the wait time for Soarin’ had jumped to 50 minutes.

Sheesh! I guess my initial thought was wrong and that everyone decided to sleep in a bit and then bolt to Epcot.

And, as for Spaceship Earth, the line was all the way around the side of the building. I have never seen it this long before. About this time I got a text from Rosemary saying they were on their way so I decided to sit on the wall near Spaceship Earth to wait for them … and be very amazed at the line which just kept getting longer and longer.

As I sat waiting, I got a panicked call from Tanisha. They were not sure if Leo had taken Christopher and were not able to get him to answer his phone. The place was so packed it was literally shoulder-to-shoulder and they could not see them in this sea of people.

I texted Rosemary that I was, unfortunately, not going to be able to make our meet, and made a mad dash to the gate. As I jumped on the monorail and headed to the Studios, I had this sickening pit in my stomach. I was positive that Christopher was safely with Leo (he would never lose sight of him), but there was always that slim chance and it scared the hell out of me. I could not imagine what Tanisha and Jason were feeling. Even though the mystery was solved in less than 30 minutes, it was the longest 30 minutes of our lives.

He was, indeed, with Leo. Leo thought Jason knew he had Christopher, but since Jason didn’t actually see them leave together, he was not sure. And it is always better to err on the side of caution. Jason did exactly the right thing.

Since by the time I was on the bus to the Studios, the situation was settled; I turned around and headed to Magic Kingdom. My alone day was quickly dwindling.

Once I got to MK, it was close to noon and my tummy no longer had that pit in it … it was now rumbling quite a lovely tune. Time for lunch. I decided to go to Cosmic Ray’s in Tomorrowland. I use to do lunch at about 2 p.m. to avoid the crowds, but I think everyone started doing that because the crowds are now heaviest between 1-2 p.m. Sooooo … now I eat lunch at about noon.

Today the lunch crowd was pretty light and I had my burger within minutes. Burger in hand, I headed out to the back balcony for a seat. I guess this area is not well known because there weren’t many people out here. I grabbed a table with a beautiful view of my house and a piece of the street party.

After a nice, relaxing lunch I wandered the park looking for “Where in the World” photos and hopped on a few of my fave rides. I ended up having an entire train all to myself on the People Mover. Pretty cool.

Then, of course, I headed on over to jump on the Haunted Mansion and Pirates. Bet you didn’t see that coming. On my way through Frontierland headed towards Pirates, I noticed one of those electric scooters sitting right in the middle if the road. And I do mean ‘right in the middle.’ I stood there for a few minutes to see if the rider maybe just jumped off real quick to take a pic or something, but no one claimed it and no one showed a bit of interest. Very strange.

Anyway, I then headed for Pirates for what was possibly my very last ride of the trip. So sad. This time, however, it was no longer Davy Jones’ face in the falling fog, but Black Beard. I like Jones better.

Oh yah, while I was in line, I had to listen to the guy in front of me continuously sing “yo ho and a body of rum” over and over. If you just have to be annoying by singing loud and off key, at least get the words right!

Luckily I was able to get a different boat than he was on. Of course, I managed to embarrass myself pretty well all on my own.

I shared the front seat with two guys who had never ridden before and they asked if we would get wet. Of course, being the veteran Pirates rider I am, I told them no, not at all. I am right, right?

Wrong!

Even though I have ridden this ride dozens of times … on just this trip alone … and have never gotten wet, ever; this trip was different. As we came down the minor drop, the boat hit just right (or, wrong, in this case) and I was flooded as a waterfall gushed over the side and into my lap. I was soaked to the skin. And red-faced to boot.

Those guys were a bit surprised, to say the least, as was I. I just kept saying, “that has never happened before” over and over. At the end of the ride, I said it one last time and slunk away to drip dry in hiding.

Continued in next post.

1982, 1985, Disneyland

Last edited by jusero; 10-28-2011 at 01:41 PM.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:19 PM   #159
jusero
DIS Veteran

I found a sunny spot to hide and dry when I received another text from Tanisha. At least this was not a panicked message this time. She was telling me that our little Padowan’s Jedi Training was set for 6 p.m. so I needed to head out soon.

After a few more stops and a couple rides, I headed out. I made it to the Studios by about 5:30 and hoped I could push my way through the crowds in time. I have never seen so many freakin’ people in one place before. It was pretty ridiculous.

By the way, why is it I always look both ways before stepping into the ‘streets’ at the Studios?

With about 10 minutes to spare, I found Tanisha, Leo and Jazzy all the way up front to the left of the stage. Jason found a spot on the other side so we could get different angles for our photos and videos.

As the “younglings” made their way to the stage, they put Christopher right up at the front of the stage, directly in front of us. Perfect!

Now, the Jedi master seemed rather taken with Christopher and stayed next to him using him as an example for most of the show. It was probably because Christopher just would not stop talking. The master actually gave him the nickname of Chatterbox. He also kept commenting on Christopher’s “special” and “fancy” robe. Of course, that made me puff up a little with pride because I hand made it myself special for this occasion.

Anyway, when they were done with the training and were up to go toe-to-toe with Darth Vader himself, we were a bit concerned that Christopher may not want to do it. Even though he is quite the chatterbox, he does have a bit of a shy streak sometimes. And being on stage all by himself in front of hundreds of people and facing off against Darth Vader … shoot, I may have chickened out myself.

Not a chance. He stood up to Vader, no sweat, and took him down! That’s our “35 pounds of unbridled fury.” Click on the photo below for a quick video.

When the training was finished, Leo and I had to say our quick goodbyes and head out. We had 8 p.m. ressies for the fireworks dessert party back at Magic Kingdom.

We made it with some time to spare. So, of course, I headed into the shops and Leo headed to the potty. Still no 40th anniversary Minnie … and, yes, still pasty legs, even after 10 days in the Florida sun.

By this time, I headed to meet Leo at check in at the Terrace. The fireworks didn’t start until 9, but we were able to check in starting at 8. Once in, we found our table … right up front and center. Again … perfect! Told you the force was with us today. Well, except for the soaking on Pirates. And the dessert buffets were phenomenal. There were at least five buffet tables with dozens of different kinds of yummy treats on each. I could feel my glucose numbers rising just looking at everything. But, I was very good for the past few days just so that I could splurge a little tonight.

I set up my camera and tripod up by the wall and helped myself to some yummies. Everything I tried was so good and Leo, who tried just about everything on all the tables (I hate him sometimes), liked it all too.

Just as the memories show began, a slight breeze began to blow across the terrace and a few sprinkles tumbled down. Oh no, not rain now. Not tonight. But it was just that, a few sprinkles, and it was gone.

This was the first time I actually got to see the full show and it was actually pretty cool. Even though you really couldn’t see the pictures unless you were closer to the castle, I loved it. Especially when they had fireworks pictured on the face of the castle that lined up perfectly with the real fireworks behind the castle. It was like they were coming right out of the castle.

I just don’t know how the Imagineers do some of the things they do. Guess that’s why they call it magical.

Wishes was spectacular, as usual. And made even better by our location. Of course, we use to come to this spot to watch for free, but progress is progress, I guess. I can tell you one thing: to me, it was worth the money. If I remember right, it was about $60 for the two of us. But, since there were so few of us and the desserts were great and in abundance, I couldn’t kick.

It was, however, bitter sweet. This was our last night in the parks. But what a way to close out our vacation. I just wish the kids could have joined us. But their trip was not finalized in time for the ressies. They are pretty hard to get.

If you ever have the opportunity, the dessert party is something fun to experience, at least once. And, to me, is worth every penny. I plan on doing it again next trip.

After the fireworks and party, Leo and I headed deeper into the park to make the most of every last minute. I find if we are as far to the back of the park as possible at closing, and move as slowly as humanly possible, we are among the last down Main Street and out the gate.

We did manage to get one last ride on both the Haunted Mansion and Pirates before our very slow walk to the gate. Stopping along the way for a last few pics, we couldn’t put it off anymore. If we procrastinated any longer, the night crew would be sweeping us out the door.

More pics around my house and we were on our way down Main Street for the last time in 2011. Sniffle, sniffle. Boo hoo.

Since we really wanted to stretch out the night as long as possible, we took the monorail to the Poly and walked up the hill to Shades.

Once we made it back to the room, I sat out on the balcony relaxing, listening to my froggies and wishing this was our first night instead of our last. Big sigh! Only 11 months, two weeks until our next visit. Of course, by the time this is posted, it will be more like six months … woo-HOOOOOO!!

I couldn’t postpone it anymore. I needed to get some sleep for the long drive home tomorrow. Of course, even though we were not doing any parks tomorrow, we were still going to spend some time at Downtown Disney. So we were not entirely done … yet.

Photos from throughout the day:

1982, 1985, Disneyland

Last edited by jusero; 10-28-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:21 PM   #160
sherylcin
Mouseketeer

That was a very eventful last day! By my count you made it to 3 parks and had a great time. Love the pics especially the ones of your house. Your grandson is too cute doing his Jedi training. I think he must be pretty serious about the whole thing!

Thanks also for the great review of the Dessert Party. I tried to make ressies for it in February just a couple of days ago but they've only got it scheduled through the end of the year right now. I'll keep checking back hoping they extend it again. Since there will only be 3 of us (instead of the usual 13) it seems much more feasible to do.

Last days are bittersweet for sure. Our trips always fly by so fast even when we're there for two weeks. At least you already have a countdown for your next one!
Old 10-28-2011, 04:16 PM   #161
haleofafamily
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusero View Post
Where in the World?

Any guesses on this one?

I am hoping to get the next chapter up this week.
Our guess is Kali River Rapids in Animal Kingdom.
June 85 Off, July 92 Off, June 00 AsSp, Sept 04 SSR, May 06 OKW, Sept 07 WL/BCV, May 08 BWV, Dec 08 SSR, Mar 09 Off, Sept 09 AKV Kidani/OKW, May 10 POP/VWL/Dol, Dec 10 AKV, FEB 11 BCV (1st Princess Half Marathon), FEB 12 Poly (2nd Princess Half Marathon), May 12 AKV and THV(Family Reunion!!) Nov 12 FLE Preview SSR/AoA, FEB 13 CSR/YC (3rd Princess Half Marathon)
Old 10-28-2011, 04:58 PM   #162
jusero
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherylcin View Post
Your grandson is too cute doing his Jedi training. I think he must be pretty serious about the whole thing!

Thanks also for the great review of the Dessert Party.
Yes, he is indeed very serious about his Star Wars stuff. He even said he did NOT want to wear his robe for Halloween because "Halloween is for pretend dress up. My robe is real."

And, keep trying on those ressies. I had to keep checking a couple times a week and lucked out to get the day I did. They go very quickly when they do open the ressies. But it is worth the effort. I hope you get a table up front too.

1982, 1985, Disneyland

Old 10-28-2011, 05:00 PM   #163
jusero
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by haleofafamily View Post
Our guess is Kali River Rapids in Animal Kingdom.
Good guess, but nope. Hint: It is near some water, but not at that park.

1982, 1985, Disneyland

Old 11-02-2011, 04:10 PM   #164
jusero
DIS Veteran

Where in the World?

Since I am closing in on the final chapter of my TR, I thought I would post several pics for your guessing fun.

Guessed correctly by haleofafamily: On Living with the Land.

Guessed correctly by haleofafamily: On the Jungle Cruise.

1982, 1985, Disneyland

Last edited by jusero; 11-04-2011 at 09:29 AM.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:07 AM   #165
haleofafamily
DIS Veteran

1. (?) Mission Space (?) 2. Line for Expedition Everest, 3. Living with the Land, 4. Jungle Cruise
June 85 Off, July 92 Off, June 00 AsSp, Sept 04 SSR, May 06 OKW, Sept 07 WL/BCV, May 08 BWV, Dec 08 SSR, Mar 09 Off, Sept 09 AKV Kidani/OKW, May 10 POP/VWL/Dol, Dec 10 AKV, FEB 11 BCV (1st Princess Half Marathon), FEB 12 Poly (2nd Princess Half Marathon), May 12 AKV and THV(Family Reunion!!) Nov 12 FLE Preview SSR/AoA, FEB 13 CSR/YC (3rd Princess Half Marathon)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: