Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2011, 11:00 AM   #16
nancy drew
DIS Veteran

So this is related to our December trip, not our trip in 2 weeks (!) but I am so incredibly stressed about it, and hey it is Disney, so I figure I should get it out here.

Last year we decided at the last minute that during the December break we would go to FL to visit my mom, and spend a night in WDW. Booking everything at the last minute was a real pain, and it was expensive. This year I decided to be proactive and book everything in advance. I looked at the school calendars online to double check the vacation dates, and booked plane tickets.

Yesterday I was talking to a mom whose DD is in the same school system as DD, and she asked me if we have the "weird" December holiday this year too. I said no, we have the normal vacation time, and gave her the dates. She said our school system changed it to a week later. What??? I've been a teacher or parent in this school system for 15 years, why on Earth would they suddenly make vacation a week later than normal? And with 2 kids in different schools who already have 2 different spring vacations (making travel impossible), we now have 2 different December vacations as well???

So now I don't know what to do. I know a lot of people feel it is no big deal to take a kid out of school, and that the week before vacation isn't "real" work anyway, etc. But this sets a really bad precedent, IMO. Also then I will have to deal with XH deciding to take the kids out of school for a week because it isn't fair that I get to but he doesn't.

I am so upset, mad, confused, and frustrated about this. I also don't think we can change the tickets at this point. We are flying in to Orlando and out of somewhere else. That would mean changing all of that, and we can't even really do that because there is no other week that we could go without someone missing a week of school!

I've been trying to get DD in to DS's school, but they say there is no room right now. I'm feeling desperate to move her now with this vacation thing. I already wasn't happy about a lot of things at her school, and now this has made it worse. But I feel stuck, as I can't move her to a school that has a different schedule at this point unless she gets in to DS's school (which doesn't look like it is going to happen this year).

I have no idea how to solve this.

Sorry, not really Disney related I guess, but I need to get it off my chest because right now this is really stressing me out.

Me DD 10 DS 8
1982: Contemporary 1989: Contemporary 1998: Disneyland (day trip) 2005: Wilderness Lodge 2006: Wilderness Lodge 2007: Contemporary 2008: Disneyland (Park Vue) 2009: Disneyland (HoJo) 2010: Pop Century 2011: Disneyland (PPH/DLH) and Boardwalk 2012: San Diego and Disneyland (PPH) 2013: Polynesian and Port Orleans Riverside 2014: Dolphin and Disney Dream
nancy drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:46 PM   #17
WDWJonasGirl
Mouseketeer/Directioner

That's too bad. I remember in 8th grade, we had the week of presidents day off. That caused us to get out late. We got out on June 23rd and we started in August. Now, it's either start in August or get out late. This past school year, we started in August and got out the week before.

Kaitlin: Directioner and a Huge Jonas Fan
WDW: 5/03, 4/06, 12/06, 7/09, 8/10, ?/14 DLR: Too Many too count DCL: 1/07, 7/09, 8/11, 8/12, 6/14
DLP: 6/13
WDWJonasGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-04-2011, 02:53 PM   #18
nancy drew
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWJonasGirl View Post
That's too bad. I remember in 8th grade, we had the week of presidents day off. That caused us to get out late. We got out on June 23rd and we started in August. Now, it's either start in August or get out late. This past school year, we started in August and got out the week before.
School schedules are so weird. The school I attended (which my son attends) has always had a consistent vacation/holiday schedule. My daughter is in public school and it seems so much more vaired from year to year, which makes it tough to plan vacations. Especially when you are planning around holidays, which means you have to book early or pay higher prices!

Still no idea what I'm going to do about December. I guess I am secretly hoping my daughter will get a last minute spot in my son's school, which will mean they have the same schedule and we can go as planned iwthout anyone missing any school. But that's a really dumb thing for me to do, because the likelihood of her getting a last minute spot there is slim to none. So that leaves me with cancelling the trip, or taking her out of school and dealing with an argument with XH. Neither of those sounds really awesome to me at the moment.

So instead, I will focus on something that IS awesome, which is that we are going to DL in less than 2 weeks!!! Wow! I have been trying to sort out some type of touring plan, and trying not to stress over the crowd photos I've seen from the past week. Holy crap has it been crowded!!! I know a lot of friends have been taking their vacations this week (not specifically to DL, just in general) so maybe the first week of August is just a busy travel time in general. Let's hope so, right?

So right now I"m trying to sort out 2 things: When to go to Sea World and the beach and when to do 2 character meals.

Sea World:

Originally I thought it would be best to go to Sea World right away, on Wednesday. I figured this was best because we would have to wake up early that day, and we'd still be on Central time which would make it easy to wake up early. Also then we could get it out of the way and focus on DL the rest of the trip.

But then I thought maybe we should go on a day when DL is likely to be crowded. But I'm guessing the most crowded days will be Sun/Mon, which are our last 2 days of vacation and I was holding those as DL days to make sure we aren't rushed and trying to cram things in at the end of our trip. So that leaves Thursday, Friday, or Saturday. But then we would miss out on a MM day or we'd have to wake up early after a MM day (which would be a long day, most likely). I'm slightly leaning toward Saturday because there wouldn't be rush hour traffic, and we could still do MM on Sunday.

The Beach:

But then when do we do the beach? That would be a half day at the least and a 3/4 day away from DL at the most (probably return to hotel anywhere from 1-5pm).

Maybe we should do the beach Friday morning (hotel switch day), then come back and maybe hit the parks or enjoy our new hotel. I'd pack the night before, we would get up early, check out and walk over to DLH, secure our stuff and check in, then go on the beach tour/whale watching and come back to the hotel. By then our room should be ready, and if it isn't, we can dig out some bathing suits and go swimming until the room is ready. Then we can move in to our room and go to the parks that night for a little bit, then come back early so we can go to bed and get ready for SW the next day.

Maybe that will work. I guess I'm stuck on how to organize it, really. Should we do SW, DL, DL, Beach, DL, DL or should we do DL, DL, Beach, SW, DL, DL? I've never tried to work a non-Disney day, much less 2 of them, into our vacation so this is throwing me off!

Character Meals:

I have us scheduled for a Minnie's Breakfast one day on our trip. Now that we are staying onsite I'd like to do Surf's Up and Goofy's as well. I wasn't going to do Surf's Up but I think it will be our best bet for meeting Mickey, who usually has too many admirers lining up for autographs and photos in the parks. However, I don't know that I want to take park time away to go to the Surf's Up breakfast during the first leg of our stay. If we do the first version of my schedule above, we could do Surf's Up breakfast on Friday, before we move hotels. I'd have our stuff packed, we'd either bring it down and ask them to hold it while we eat or leave it upstairs, eat, then go back and get it. Then we'd move hotels. If we did the 2nd schedule above, I don't know how we'd work in Surf's Up unless we did it after we move to DLH, which seems silly. We could do Goofy's dinner the first night we arrive (the kids said they want to swim when we arrive vs going straight to the parks, which I think is crazy but this is the first thing they have agreed on) or we could do Goofy's Breakfast on the morning we leave (we will have time for it).

So there's my trip-related mind dump for the day! That's why I don't usually write much in the pre-trip phase: I overthink things and sound like a crazy person!

Me DD 10 DS 8
1982: Contemporary 1989: Contemporary 1998: Disneyland (day trip) 2005: Wilderness Lodge 2006: Wilderness Lodge 2007: Contemporary 2008: Disneyland (Park Vue) 2009: Disneyland (HoJo) 2010: Pop Century 2011: Disneyland (PPH/DLH) and Boardwalk 2012: San Diego and Disneyland (PPH) 2013: Polynesian and Port Orleans Riverside 2014: Dolphin and Disney Dream
Old 08-12-2011, 10:46 AM   #19
nancy drew
DIS Veteran

4 days to go!!!

I have SO much to do, and instead of doing anything I'm here on the computer! I need to do laundry, make packing lists, get the suitcases out of the attic.... Yikes! I'm in denial that our trip is almost here!

Me DD 10 DS 8
Old 08-15-2011, 08:06 PM   #20
nancy drew
DIS Veteran

I cannot BELIEVE we leave TOMORROW!!!

The kids are packed, but my clothes are still in the dryer (should be done now). Still need to finish cleaning up the house (I hate cleaning things that will get messy again, like the kitchen counters and sink, so I leave those until the last minute).

Still trying to figure out our carry on situation. Taking 3 carry on bags, but should we bring 1, 2, or 3 backpacks with us? Hmmm. My laptop is a problem too, I hate bringing it but don't have much choice as it is the charging vehicle for everything we have, and it will be better for looking up info/plans etc.

Perhaps I'll be back later with more. Gotta get the kids cleaned up and in bed.

Me DD 10 DS 8
Old 08-15-2011, 08:32 PM   #21
sarahk0204
DIS Veteran

I had to LOL about the gray hair!

Have a safe trip!
Old 08-16-2011, 12:45 AM   #22
patnkristin
Earning My Ears

How exciting!! Hope you have a safe/good trip. We will be down there on Wednesday (our first DL trip)
patnkristin is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: