Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2011, 03:45 PM   #1
AllieV
DIS Veteran

Disney chiropractor?

Does anyone know if there is an on-site chiropractor on Disney properties? I will inevitably pinch a nerve in my neck on some ride and be miserable for the rest of the trip (even if I avoid the rough ones). We won't have a car, so I was wondering if there is something onsite where I could see a chiropractor for an adjustment.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:35 PM   #2
greengeen
Mouseketeer

Virtually every ride has a sign that says DON'T ride if you have neck or back problems (or heart condition, etc.). So really, why would you.
greengeen is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-18-2011, 04:45 PM   #3
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Sorry, no doctor of any type on site. You can take a taxi to one nearby.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:55 PM   #4
mousefan1972
DIS Veteran

And if you are prone to that type of injury, constant "adjustments" are not going to cure you.

(says the physical therapist with 16 years of experience)
mousefan1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:36 PM   #5
AllieV
DIS Veteran

I don't have any injuries or anything in particular wrong with my back, etc. It just seems that in the last few years, I pinch a nerve in my neck at unpredictable times and it is painful to turn my head until I see the chiro and he does an adjustment and unpinches it (and sometimes it works itself out overnight). The culprit is often the pillows at a hotel. With a 3 yr old, we won't be doing any of the jerky rides anyway. But it would be nice to know there's one around.

Thanks for the info, everyone. Maybe I'll look up a local one just in case.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:46 PM   #6
TheRustyScupper
GKTW coordinator. Kiwanis and SCORE Volunteer. Make-A-Wish board. Average Banjo Picker. Pretty good sailing captain.

1) Lots of Chiro's and/or Massage Therapists will come to the hotel.
2) They will bring their own table or neck-chair.
3) Not excessive costs, like for doctor house calls.
4) If necessary, there are three Chiro's in Celebration.
5) That is a quick taxi ride away.

NOTE:
I even know of a Disney employee who does Message Therapy.
He comes to houses or hotels with his apparati.
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:19 AM   #7
brekin67
DIS Veteran

If the culprit is sometimes the pillows, why don't you bring your own? You could also have Wal Mart or another place ship new pillows to your hotel if needed.

Can your Dr. prescribe anti-inflammatory medication (Lyrica) or somthing OTC for you?

If it happens while you are at a park, you can go to the first aid station, staffed by RN's or there are also EMT's in the park. Maybe they can give you a shot that will help??
brekin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:26 AM   #8
WendyWuWu
Mouseketeer

OP, I've been a nurse for 20+ years. All of those years pulling and tugging and walking on concrete has caused me to have problems occassionally from a bulging disc in my back. A couple of years ago, DH and I came to DisneyWorld to celebrate my graduation from anesthesia school. I literally graduated from grad school one day, and caught a plane for Orlando the next. The morning of my graduation, I bent over to pick up the dog's food bowl and threw my back out. I thought it would work itself out, but packed some muscle relaxers and anti-inflammatories to take just in case. Unfortunately, that time, nothing seemed to help. I finally broke down and went to a chiropractor (something I'd never done before) and he gave me the only relief I had had in nearly 4 weeks (yes, I waited a month before giving in and going to a chiro). The week at Disney was a waste as I spent most of it in bed, sluggish on muscle relaxers and Motrin. My chiropractor told me, in spite of the fact that I'd never been to him before, I should have called him while in Orlando. He would have been happy to refer me to a chiro there. I bet your chiropractor could do the same for you if you should run into trouble.

Me..Wendy DH..Larry DS..Adam DN...Allie

Offsite..1992; Offsite...1995; POR..2004; CBR...2008; POFQ...2009; WL/BLT...2010; YC...2011; YC...2012; SOG...2013; YC...2014
WendyWuWu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:28 AM   #9
viluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

I hear ya...

I do PT once a week to strengthen (I have Fibromyalgia) and I use a chiro once a month. But it seems when I travel it's just enough stress on the body to throw something out of whack. One trip a few years ago - I avoided all "tough" rides, slept great, ate well, drank all my water, did all my stretches, brought my own pilllow - on and on.....I went to close the door of the minivan (just the front door) and pinched my neck something awful I have often said I should find a chiro in FL that I can see if those mechanical issues pop up. Hope you fair well this nect trip....pinched nerves are a stinker
Old 09-17-2012, 11:48 PM   #10
Saddleback10
Earning My Ears

Orlando Chiropractic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllieV View Post
Does anyone know if there is an on-site chiropractor on Disney properties? I will inevitably pinch a nerve in my neck on some ride and be miserable for the rest of the trip (even if I avoid the rough ones). We won't have a car, so I was wondering if there is something onsite where I could see a chiropractor for an adjustment.
When I was at Disney, I called Orlando Chiropractic and Physical Rehab. I drove to their office, which is on the south side of Orlando, but they said he will travel to hotels if needed. Very convenient and friendly. I threw my back out carrying the luggage and thought my vacation was ruined, but after I got adjusted I was good-to-go for the week.
Saddleback10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:27 AM   #11
AllieV
DIS Veteran

Thanks, saddleback. On the last trip, I was very careful (and probably a bit luckY) but my plan was to take a cab over to Celebration. I had a list of chiros I brought with me. I'm headed back in May for 10 days and am a bit nervous about going that long. I'll look up this guy of yours in case I need a hotel visit. You'd think with as many people as stay on-site, there'd be some kind of central medi-clinic that takes out of state health insurance.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:08 AM   #12
scottmel
Does my logic in my original question make sense
I need to see it in a new light I guess

I researched this same thing for my last summer trip. I emailed my concierge at YC and was told a staff member at YC sees Dr. Felt in Clairmont and really liked him. Then a friend who works at the BC told me she heard good things about a Dr. Felt in Clairmont. So I took this as a sign. Thankfully I didn't need to see him during my trip but I sure kept his info handy in case!!!!
DP
scottmel is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: