Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2011, 07:25 AM   #1
marmalade
DIS Veteran

FIL's judgement showing as belonging to DH. HELP!

My DH is a Jr., and his father is pretty much a deadbeat debtor. We are planning to buy a house and when we went to get pre-approved, we were told that there is a tax lien for past due child support and a judgement for something called K A M acquisitions.

I knew immediately that this belong to my FIL and went to annualcreditreport.com and disputed both. Thursday we received an email saying the Child support has been removed. But last night I received an email saying that Equifax has confirmed this debt to belong to my husband.

Since it was friday at 8:30pm I need to wait unti monday to correct and now have to stress about this all weekend.

FIL admits the judgement is his, he has the papers he was served with. My question is...... How do I fix this if it has already been confirmed with the County Supreme Court as belonging to my DH? I want to be armed with as much knowledge before monday when I go to the court house.
marmalade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 07:32 AM   #2
bdcp
DIS Veteran

You need to talk to a lawyer since the county court is saying it's your DH's. It'll cost you something, but not as much as having that on your credit. FIL isn't disputing it, so get him involved with the lawyer too. Better yet, if your FIL has a lawyer already, talk to them about it. FIL can come forward in some way to claim it and get it off your DH's credit. SSN's should be involved too so that should be an easy way to dispute it. Although there have been cases where father's have used son's ssn's when they are named the same to get loans, etc. fraudulently.

One more reason having the same name (with some of the same residence history) isn't a good idea.
Shades of Green Nov 08

Shades of Green Oct 11
Shades of Green Nov 13
bdcp is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-18-2011, 07:54 AM   #3
marmalade
DIS Veteran

The last thing I want to do is pay for a lawyer to correct someone else's mistake.

I know nothing about judgements. Since they are public records I can assume that the SSN is not on the public record? Does the court house have all the info on the creditor? How can I get records of the original creditor?

The fact that I have to stress about this all weekend is driving me nuts. We know this isn't my DH, but not knowing how long it will take to correct is frustrating.

To think I cancelled my 1br BWV trip we had scheduled this august to focus our money on buying the house and now we are hit with this curve ball.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:02 AM   #4
nunzia
You can't top pigs with pigs, but you CAN top Toys with Toys

You really need to do whatever you can to fix this..years ago my DH's credit got entangled with our son's..he is not even a Jr and they managed to mangle it all up...such a mess to deal with.
Now, the hospital has entangled our daughter's bill for having the baby with DH and also lists him responsible for all the kids...even though DD WORKS at that hospital and has all her insurance and family on record, etc. They had DD listed as a DEPENDANT of a hospital employee, DH doesn't work there, only DD. I tell you, incompetence is going to sink us.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:21 AM   #5
marmalade
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunzia View Post
You really need to do whatever you can to fix this..years ago my DH's credit got entangled with our son's..he is not even a Jr and they managed to mangle it all up...such a mess to deal with.
Now, the hospital has entangled our daughter's bill for having the baby with DH and also lists him responsible for all the kids...even though DD WORKS at that hospital and has all her insurance and family on record, etc. They had DD listed as a DEPENDANT of a hospital employee, DH doesn't work there, only DD. I tell you, incompetence is going to sink us.
It's scary how something so simple as credit reporting can get so messed up. Things should be linked by SSN only, not names or whatever else they link it too.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:31 AM   #6
teacup princess
DIS Veteran

My husband has a couple of his father's cc's that show up on his credit report. We've yet to figure out how to successfully get them off of there. Luckily though, he pays his bill so it doesn't show as a negative.
teacup princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:37 AM   #7
disneychic2
DIS Veteran

Wow, what a mess! I have no advise, but just wishes for you to get this resolved as quickly as possible.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:11 AM   #8
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.

Dispute all errors on your credit report no matter how slight.

Have you disputed it directly with Equifax yet? Including asking them to show proof?

Holding FIL civilly responsible should be a distinct possibility.

Quote:
Now, the hospital has entangled our daughter's bill for having the baby with DH
You don't want incest to enter the picture.
Holding the hospital civilly responsible should be a distinct possibility. Of course, first give them a brief chance to set their records straight with the information you give them.

For any Purchase and Sales Agreement there should be a financing contingency clause. You (with your own attorney if you are unsure of procedures) should make sure that financing contingency lasts until actual closing, not only to some arbitrary date such as that on a commitment letter. "If the loan does not close then buyer may rescind the Agreement and receive a full refund of all deposits." The seller should trust the buyer not to perturb the contract due to buyer's remorse, not the buyer trust the seller to extend the time of closing to seek alternate financing. In addition financing contingency should not require the buyer to enter into subprime fnancing as part of the terms of the Agreement.

Finally I would go to the court alone first (unless you already have been in which case go again this time with an attorney). Actually I think it is perfectly okay to go alone more than once, each time with more information and more questions.

Last edited by seashoreCM; 06-18-2011 at 10:31 AM.
seashoreCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:05 AM   #9
marie1203
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacup princess View Post
My husband has a couple of his father's cc's that show up on his credit report. We've yet to figure out how to successfully get them off of there. Luckily though, he pays his bill so it doesn't show as a negative.
This happen to me with sister she has same first name and last name and her social is only different by one number. I reported to all the credit reports and in a matter of days they were all taken away.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:58 PM   #10
dawson5
DIS Veteran

My husband is a Jr. and son a III. We ran into this with his dad, he was a truck driver and owned his own rig/business that went bankrupt. It created a mess. We dispute anything that is not ours. They've been great about taking things off that aren't ours. I don't know if it helps or not, but whenever we've filled out anything from insurance to credit cards, even shopper reward cards, we stipulate that he is Jr. (husband) and same thing with my son. We don't want what happened to us, to happen to him. Granted we have great credit, but we also are vigilant about making sure it is ours.

Also, don't think that because they removed it once, it won't return. We've had things pop back up on ours. I don't know if it was because a debt was resold or what, but sometimes I find myself trying to clear the same debt twice. Add to this, he's been gone for probably 14 years, things still keeping recurring.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:05 PM   #11
Boston Tea Party
Truth is truth

The posters at creditboards.com are very helpful. They might have some advice.
You never ever left my side ~ Make it like it was before
Even if it takes a life time, takes a life time ~

~Next Dole Whip… 7/13-7/18 USC Trojan Style! ~
Boston Tea Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 03:52 PM   #12
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

I know that at Experian, you can send proof that the debt does not belong to whoever's credit report it shows up on. If you're pressed for time you can fax in the proof too. I don't know about Equifax.

You said that the father has the paperwork. Do you know if it shows the last 4 digitis of the SSN? Or a birthdate? You said that the courthouse verified to you that it isn't your DH. Can they give you whatever paperwork they have that shows that?

It can be difficult with judgments and liens since those so often don't show SSN's. Some collection agencies and even some credit card issuers don't report them either. They don't legally have to, in fact there is a movement to do away with SSN's on credit reports entirely. I hope that this never succeeds because if you think that the CRA computers mess things up now, just wait if SSN's are no longer used.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:43 PM   #13
JoiseyMom
Have you had your SPANX today???
I mean, peep poop should be shiny and colored!!

Photo copy your fil's judgments and show them to your bank! That should help. Also send this to the credit bureau giving you a hard time. Good luck.

I know when I got my first car loan, and mortgage, credit issues from my ex were there, but all I had to do was show my divorce papers that showed he took legal obligations for all marital debt, and I got both loans.
2005 August - Surprise Trip for kids!! CSR; 2006 August - Surprise Trip for kids at CSR again!! 2007 August - 3 nite Wonder & AKL FD 3peat!!
2007 December 8 - 7nite Eastern on the Magic! 2008 August 17 DCL Magic EB Panama Canal; March 2011 WDW trip with friends. 2012 Aug 25 DCL Bahamas Magic from NYC;2012 Sept 12 DCL Canadian Magic;2013 Aug AKL Kidani;2013 Aug DCL Fantasy

I am Poohtiful and Poohlicious!!!! Have you had your Spanx today???
JoiseyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:32 PM   #14
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie1203 View Post
This happen to me with sister she has same first name and last name and her social is only different by one number. I reported to all the credit reports and in a matter of days they were all taken away.
Your sister has the same first and last name as you????
Old 06-18-2011, 11:49 PM   #15
marmalade
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashoreCM View Post
Dispute all errors on your credit report no matter how slight.

Have you disputed it directly with Equifax yet? Including asking them to show proof?

Holding FIL civilly responsible should be a distinct possibility.
We did dispute it with Equifax and I received a email last night stating they verified that this belongs to DH, when in fact it doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post

You said that the father has the paperwork. Do you know if it shows the last 4 digitis of the SSN? Or a birthdate? You said that the courthouse verified to you that it isn't your DH. Can they give you whatever paperwork they have that shows that?

It can be difficult with judgments and liens since those so often don't show SSN's. Some collection agencies and even some credit card issuers don't report them either. They don't legally have to, in fact there is a movement to do away with SSN's on credit reports entirely. I hope that this never succeeds because if you think that the CRA computers mess things up now, just wait if SSN's are no longer used.
I am so concerned becaue according to Equifax, the County Court DID verify this as belonging to DH even though we know it belongs to his dad, and his dad was "served" his paperwork by a Sheriff. How can such an error be made to verify a judgement against someone when the debt belongs to someone else.

They had to send me the email on Friday so there is nothing I can do until Monday expect stress.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: