Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2011, 06:21 AM   #136
dgbg100106

It is pretty unique... Just like me
Mommy, please make the mean witch stop talking to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
I had meant to quote the picture of David with the Suit. Perhaps the only reason he didn't want it was that it was not his size. Otherwise, I think it would look lovely on him.
I think you are right... just the wrong size...

Quote:
In hindsight this is so funny! I'm sorry you had to live through it, but the waiter did say even he didn't eat it!
Well it was funny for me to write up, b/c I knew better, but I wanted to try it at least once...

Quote:
I love how your shirts are backwards since you took the picture in the mirror.
I try to take crazy pictures of us all the time, this was one that was interesting....

Quote:
We have windmills like that in a few places in CA, outside Palm Springs and off the 580 in Northen California, they are HUGE! Even from far away off the freeway you tell how big they are.
I could tell they are huge.... I have one with people next to it and they are like tiny dots...

Quote:
So that's how you two stay slim, 12,000 steps! I'm sure I don't take that many in a day!
The first day at Disney for F&W we did over 20K steps... and I still gained weight...

73 Cont, 74 Poly, 91 Swan, 02 CBR, 05 BWV, 09 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 10 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 11 BWV, 11 BCV (F&WF)

2013 Cruising adventures
3rd times a Charm, F&WF2011 Celebrating Graduations at the world2010 F&WF, AKV with Sunrise Safari and 7 nights on Cruise
Old 10-12-2011, 06:54 AM   #137
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgbg100106 View Post

This is a picture from the menu of the 25 different items....

but no worries, I have all the info and will describe as we go...
Did you know that the Dutch colonised Indonesia? It was the Dutch East Indies.

That menu? It is predominantly the Dutch version of Bahasa.....and I can understand about 95% of the menu! Go figure!!!

Glad you didn't blow your tongue/taste buds too much with the 'pedas' factor.

ps. I think David should have bought that suit too.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-12-2011, 07:06 AM   #138
dgbg100106

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Did you know that the Dutch colonised Indonesia? It was the Dutch East Indies.

That menu? It is predominantly the Dutch version of Bahasa.....and I can understand about 95% of the menu! Go figure!!!

Glad you didn't blow your tongue/taste buds too much with the 'pedas' factor.

ps. I think David should have bought that suit too.
I did know about the Dutch colonizing the East Indies, but not before I went to Amsterdam... Part of the reason I wanted to try the food.

That is cool that you understand all of that, wish you had been there to help explain what was going on....

I think David could have pulled off that suit, I tried he was not going for it.

73 Cont, 74 Poly, 91 Swan, 02 CBR, 05 BWV, 09 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 10 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 11 BWV, 11 BCV (F&WF)

2013 Cruising adventures
3rd times a Charm, F&WF2011 Celebrating Graduations at the world2010 F&WF, AKV with Sunrise Safari and 7 nights on Cruise
Old 10-12-2011, 07:36 AM   #139
dgbg100106

Just some back ground on the ship, we are on the Celebrity Constellation.

GTS Celebrity Constellation is a Millennium class cruise ship of Celebrity Cruises. She is the co-flagship of the Celebrity fleet, along with Century-class ship Century. We were on the Constellation back in 2006 for our Honeymoon, so it was very cool that we were on her for our fifth anniversary.

She was built at the Chantiers de l'Atlantique shipyard in St. Nazaire, France. The ship boasts a COGAS power plant of gas turbines and a steam turbine providing up to 60 Megawatts for the electric systems and two 19 MW Rolls-Royce/Alstom MerMaid azimuth thrusters for propulsion. In 2007, she was refitted with the addition of a diesel engine as a fuel-saving measure. The ship can run on any combination of the gas turbines or diesel. In port, she generates electrical power from the diesel.

Constellation consistently receives top honors from Condé Nast's readers survey, and is currently ranked by readers as the best large cruise ship. During the summer period the ship sails in Northern Europe. Since her delivery the ship sails to the Baltic Sea between May and August. In June 2010 and July 2011 the ship will also sail to the Norwegian Fjords up to the North Cape. The rest of the season the ship sails to the Mediterranean (fall) and the Caribbean (winter).

She has been "stretched" since we were on n 2006, but she is the same ship we remember.

27 Aug….We finally got out of bed at 9am and went to Michael’s club (Elite Lounge). I hate when they hold it there, it is so stuffy. They had more than Solstice but not as much as the Mercury. We did not meet the Captain’s Club Hostess because she was not there. They kept playing the same 2 Perry Como and Frank Sinatra songs over and over again. We had a few Bellini’s and a Cappuccino.

We went back to the cabin and decided to be very lazy today and rest up from all of the walking in Amsterdam..

I think we took a nap and watched the world go by out our window... We both slept horrible there was a weird noise coming from above our cabin. Almost outside, but we could not figure it out.

Now it is time for lunch...
We go back to the Aqua Spa Cafe and enjoy the tuna steaks.

and grilled Salmon steaks

some shots of the ship...

Tonight was the first formal night of the cruise and dinner was good...

David started off with the Buffalo style Frog Legs

I had the chilled tangerine and granny smith apple soup.

For entree David had the crusted Lamb Chops

I have the Fish Bisque

look at the Happy Couple

For dessert
I had the fruit tart

David and the Chocolate cake and blueberry sorbet

2013 Cruising adventures
Old 10-24-2011, 12:48 PM   #140
dgbg100106

28 Aug…We got up around 07:45 and got dressed and went upstairs to get a couple eggs and some sausage. After that, we headed down to the Elite Lounge for a couple Bellini’s and a Cappuccino. Afterwards, we headed back to the room and got our things ready so that we could meet up with the group from Alla for our trip to Berlin.

I worked with the people we meet on Cruise Critic and created a group for a tour with Alla Tours to carry us from the ship to Berlin.

There were 6 of us total and we had an amazing time.

here we are on the bus getting ready for a long drive.

We started out in Warnemünde (German pronunciation: [vaʁnəˈmʏndə], meaning Warnow mouth) is a sea resort and northmost district of Rostock in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, situated on the Baltic Sea in the northeast portion of Germany at the estuary of the river Warnow. Founded in about 1200, Warnemünde was for centuries a mere fishing village with minor importance for the economic and cultural development of the region. In 1323 Warnemünde lost its autonomous status as it was purchased by the city of Rostock in order to safeguard the city’s access to the Baltic Sea. It was not until the 19th century that Warnemünde began to develop into an important sea resort. Today Warnemünde has approximately 8,400 inhabitants.

We stopped half way thru the drive, 1.5 hours in and 1.5 more to go, at a rest stop to use the bathroom and pick up anything we might need.

We are on our way to Berlin... our first stop, Charlottenburg Palace
Located in Berlin’s Charlottenburg district, near the museum island, the Charlottenburg Palace is an 18th century baroque building and the largest palace in Berlin. It has been renovated and expanded many times and reconstructed after the severe damage of the war. It was built between 1695 and 1699 as the summer retreat for the Queen Sophie Charlotte, Elector Frederick III’s wife.

The statue on horseback is Friedrich Wilhelm I (der Große Kurfürst) elector of Brandenburg in the cour d'honneur of the palace.

On top of the dome was a gilded statue representing Fortune designed by Andreas Heidt.

Inside the palace was a room described as "the eighth wonder of the world", the Amber Room (Bernsteinzimmer), a room with its walls surfaced in decorative amber. It was designed by Andreas Schlüter and its construction by the Danish amber craftsman Gottfried Wolfram started in 1701. Friedrich Wilhelm I gave the Amber Room to Tsar Peter the Great as a present in 1716.

At the front gate of the palace's main building, a zinc statue of two natural sized naked fencers, is positioned. It is an imitation of a marble statue displayed in the Louvre Museum in Paris. The Greek master sculptor created it in the first century. Each fencer holds his saber in one hand and a shield in the other.

I have no idea what church this is but I thought it was neat how the newer buildings just attached themselves to it.

From 26th June until 3rd October 2011 the United Buddy Bears were presented in Berlin’s City West for the first time. The Ku’damm - at the corner of Knesebeckstraße – was the location for the exhibition of around 140 bears promoting tolerance, international understanding and living together in peace and harmony.

One of Berlin's iconic buildings, the half-ruined Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church (occasionally known as the Emperor William Memorial Church together with its modern additions is located on Breitscheidplatz in the centre of western Berlin and dominates the view from the Kurfürstendamm and the Tauentzienstrasse.

History

The church was originally constructed between 1891 and 1895 by architect Franz Schwechten, who was also responsible for the original Anhalter Bahnhof, as a present to the German people from the then Kaiser Wilhelm II. It serves as a memorial to Wilhem II's father, Wilhelm I.

The church was partially destroyed during a bombing raid in 1943. Following the war, several different options for the church's redevelopment were considered, including the construction of a new church made from glass in the old church's ruins, and also its complete demolition and replacement with a new structure. Eventually it was decided to leave the ruined tower as a memorial to the futility of war, and create a new church around it.

The new buildings consist of four structures designed by architect Egon Eiermann. Most prominent are the hexagonal tower and worship room.

The new church was consecrated on May 25, 1962 - the same day as the new Coventry Cathedral - and features a cross made of nails from the old Coventry Cathedral.

A little known fact: a 1:10 scale model of the church stands in the town of Wernigerode in the former East Germany.

********* Side Note ********
When I grow up I want this car...

********* Back to Berlin *******

2013 Cruising adventures
Old 10-24-2011, 01:00 PM   #141
dgbg100106

The East Side Gallery is an international memorial for freedom. It is a 1.3 km long section of the Berlin Wall located near the centre of Berlin on Mühlenstraße in Friedrichshain-Kreuzberg.

The Gallery consists of 105 paintings by artists from all over the world, painted in 1990 on the east side of the Berlin Wall. The East Side Gallery was founded following the successful merger of the two German artists' associations VBK and BBK. The founding members were the speche of the Federal Association of Artists BBK Bodo Sperling, Barbara Greul Aschanta, Jörg Kubitzki and David Monti.

It is possibly the largest and longest-lasting open air gallery in the world. Paintings from Jürgen Grosse alias INDIANO, Dimitri Vrubel, Siegfrid Santoni, Bodo Sperling, Kasra Alavi, Kani Alavi, Jim Avignon, Thierry Noir, Ingeborg Blumenthal, Ignasi Blanch i Gisbert, Kim Prisu, Hervé Morlay VR and others have followed.

The paintings at the East Side Gallery document the time of change and express the euphoria and great hopes for a better and free future for all people of the world.

2013 Cruising adventures
Old 10-24-2011, 01:08 PM   #142
dgbg100106

The Oberbaumbrücke is a double-deck bridge crossing Berlin's River Spree, considered one of the city landmarks. It links Friedrichshain and Kreuzberg, former boroughs that were divided by the Berlin Wall, and has become an important symbol of Berlin’s unity.

This is the TV tower...
The Fernsehturm (German for "television tower") is a television tower in the city centre of Berlin, Germany. Close to Alexanderplatz and part of the World Federation of Great Towers (WFGT), the tower was constructed between 1965 and 1969 by the former German Democratic Republic administration who intended it as a symbol of Berlin, which it remains today, as it is easily visible throughout the central and some suburban districts of Berlin. With its height of 368 meters, it is the tallest structure in Germany.

When the sun shines on the Fernsehturm's tiled stainless steel dome, the reflection usually appears in the form of a crucifix. This effect was neither predicted nor desired by the planners. Berliners immediately named the luminous cross Rache des Papstes, or "Pope's Revenge". For the same reasons, the structure was also called "St. Walter" (from Walter Ulbricht).

U.S. President Ronald Reagan mentioned this phenomenon in his "Tear down this wall" speech on 12 June 1987

"Years ago, before the East Germans began rebuilding their churches, they erected a secular structure: the television tower at Alexanderplatz. Virtually ever since, the authorities have been working to correct what they view as the tower's one major flaw: treating the glass sphere at the top with paints and chemicals of every kind. Yet even today when the sun strikes that sphere, that sphere that towers over all Berlin, the light makes the sign of the cross. There in Berlin, like the city itself, symbols of love, symbols of worship, cannot be suppressed."

2013 Cruising adventures

Last edited by dgbg100106; 10-25-2011 at 08:41 AM.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:30 PM   #143
dwheatl
DIS Veteran
Can you tell I'm a dyed-in-the lime-green-wool DL fan?

I think if I were those fencers, I'd be holding the shield in a different place. As for the Maserati, it would be great to have it in Germany, where you can drive it at the speed it was designed for. And very cool about the tower.
WDW trips1985 Newlyweds offsite 1987 With MIL offsite 1993, 1997, 2002, 2006 WDW Dolphin 2012 - Art of Animation
Old 10-24-2011, 01:41 PM   #144
dgbg100106

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwheatl View Post
I think if I were those fencers, I'd be holding the shield in a different place. As for the Maserati, it would be great to have it in Germany, where you can drive it at the speed it was designed for. And very cool about the tower.
Yea.... I am waiting for Alison to make a comment about those guys....

The car was so very cool... I think I could drive it that way and enjoy every minute of it.

2013 Cruising adventures
Old 10-24-2011, 02:22 PM   #145
dgbg100106

The Berliner Dom in Berlin, Germany, is an impressive basilica known as the "Protestant St. Peter's." The present Baroque structure dates only from 1905, but stands on the site of several earlier structures.

Now on the Check Point Charlie...

Checkpoint Charlie (or "Checkpoint C") was the name given by the Western Allies to the best-known Berlin Wall crossing point between East Berlin and West Berlin during the Cold War.

The Soviet Union prompted the construction of the Berlin Wall in 1961 to stop Eastern Bloc emigration westward through the Soviet border system, preventing escape across the city sector border from East Berlin to West Berlin. Checkpoint Charlie became a symbol of the Cold War, representing the separation of east and west. Soviet and American tanks briefly faced each other at the location during the Berlin Crisis of 1961.

After the dissolution of the Eastern Bloc and the reunification of Germany, the building at Checkpoint Charlie became a tourist attraction. It is now located in the Allied Museum in the Dahlem neighborhood of Berlin.

We are looking into the American Sector in this direction...

They placed these markers in the street to show you where the wall once stood.

David standing on both sides at once...

It is very capitalistic here everyone trying to make a dollar, selling anything from pictures to food.

You know it was hard for to think of Berlin as old and historic when all you can see new buildings and modern structures, to me it lost its culture by not preserving anything. But it was bombed pretty bad and destroyed a lot of buildings.

Image leaving the American sector

David and I decided to have a Curry Werst while we were there...

This is the backside of a section of wall that is not being preserved.

2013 Cruising adventures
Old 10-24-2011, 02:33 PM   #146
dgbg100106

Potsdamer Platz, literally Potsdam Square is an important public square and traffic intersection in the center of Berlin, Germany, lying about one kilometre south of the Brandenburg Gate and the Reichstag (German Parliament Building), and close to the southeast corner of the Tiergarten park. It is named after the city of Potsdam, some 25 km to the south west, and marks the point where the old road from Potsdam passed through the city wall of Berlin at the Potsdam Gate. After developing within the space of little over a century from an intersection of rural thoroughfares into the most bustling traffic intersection in Europe, it was totally laid waste during World War II and then left desolate during the Cold War era when the Berlin Wall bisected its former location. Since German reunification, Potsdamer Platz has been the site of major redevelopment projects.

Although a contraption at Stephansplatz in Hamburg is now thought to have predated them by two years, it has often been stated that the first traffic lights in Continental Europe were erected at Potsdamer Platz on 20 October 1924, in an attempt to control the sheer volume of traffic passing through. This traffic had grown to extraordinary levels. Even in 1900, more than 100,000 people, 20,000 cars, horse-drawn vehicles and handcarts, plus many thousands of bicycles, passed through the platz daily. By the 1920s the number of cars had soared to 60,000. The trams added greatly to this. The first four lines had appeared in 1880, rising to 13 by 1897, all horse-drawn, but after electrification between 1898 and 1902 the number of lines had soared to 35 by 1908 and ultimately reached 40, carrying between them 600 trams every hour, day and night. Services were run by a large number of companies, but in 1929 all these were unified into the Berliner Verkehrsbetriebe (Berlin Transport Services) company, which has operated Berlin’s trams ever since.

Up to 11 policemen at a time had tried to control all this traffic, many of them standing on small wooden platforms positioned in key locations around the platz, but with varying success. The traffic lights, again from Siemens, were mounted on a five-sided 8.5 m high tower designed by Jean Kramer, shipped over from the United States, and actually modeled on a similar one erected on Fifth Avenue in New York in 1922, although towers like this had been a feature of the Big Apple since 1918. A solitary policeman sat in a small cabin at the top of the tower and switched the lights around manually, until they were eventually automated in 1926. Yet some officers still remained on the ground in case people did not pay any attention to the lights. The tower remained until c.1936, when it was removed to allow for excavations for the new S-Bahn line (on 26 September 1997, a replica of the tower was erected, just for show, close to its original location by Siemens, to celebrate the company's 150th anniversary. The replica was moved again on 29 September 2000, to the place where it stands today).

David and I stopped at this place for a little lunch...

Sitting inside the square looking up and the canopy

Jägerschnitzel

After we left lunch we made our way over to where Hitler committed suicide in his bunker.
Adolf Hitler committed suicide by gunshot on 30 April 1945 in his Führerbunker in Berlin. His wife Eva (née Braun), committed suicide with him by ingesting cyanide.That afternoon, in accordance with Hitler's prior instructions, their remains were carried up the stairs through the bunker's emergency exit, doused in petrol and set alight in the Reich Chancellery garden outside the bunker. The Soviet archives record that their burnt remains were recovered and interred in successive locations until 1970 when they were again exhumed, cremated and the ashes scattered.

2013 Cruising adventures

Last edited by dgbg100106; 10-25-2011 at 08:43 AM.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:44 PM   #147
dgbg100106

The Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe, also known as the Holocaust Memorial, is a memorial in Berlin to the Jewish victims of the Holocaust, designed by architect Peter Eisenman and engineer Buro Happold. It consists of a 19,000 square metres (4.7 acres) site covered with 2,711 concrete slabs or "stelae", arranged in a grid pattern on a sloping field. The stelae are 7 ft 10 in long, 3 ft 1 in wide and vary in height from 8 in to 15 ft 9 in. According to Eisenman's project text, the stelae are designed to produce an uneasy, confusing atmosphere, and the whole sculpture aims to represent a supposedly ordered system that has lost touch with human reason.

Building began on April 1, 2003 and was finished on December 15, 2004. It was inaugurated on May 10, 2005, sixty years after the end of World War II, and opened to the public on May 12 of the same year. It is located one block south of the Brandenburg Gate, in the Friedrichstadt neighborhood. The cost of construction was approximately €25 million.

2013 Cruising adventures
Old 10-24-2011, 03:19 PM   #148
dgbg100106

Embassy of the United States, Berlin

With the fall of the Berlin wall and the unification of Berlin in 1989–1990, the U.S. State Department found itself with two main office facilities in one city: a Chancery in the former East Berlin, Mitte district (U.S. Mission to East Germany), and the Clay building in the Zehlendorf district of the former West Berlin (U.S. Mission Berlin). In accordance with the reality of a unified Berlin that was now officially part of the Federal Republic of Germany, the Department of State announced that, effective October 3, 1990, the status of the United States Embassy to East Germany and of the United States Mission Berlin were to be changed. The two missions were 'closed' and replaced by a single representation under the title United States Embassy Office Berlin

The new €180 million Chancery building, conceptualized in 1996 by Moore Ruble Yudell, has its main entrance facing north towards the famous Pariser Platz. Its eastern side fully abuts an existing bank building, and the west side of the land faces a main road artery. The south side also faces a street, towards the German Holocaust memorial. Pariser Platz is most famous for the Brandenburg Gate at its western entrance.

The Brandenburg Gate is a former city gate and one of the most well-known landmarks of Berlin and Germany. It is located west of the city centre at the junction of Unter den Linden and Ebertstraße, immediately west of the Pariser Platz. It is the only remaining gate of a series through which Berlin was once entered. One block to the north stands the Reichstag building. The gate is the monumental entry to Unter den Linden, the renowned boulevard of linden trees which formerly led directly to the city palace of the Prussian monarchs. It was commissioned by King Frederick William II of Prussia as a sign of peace and built by Carl Gotthard Langhans from 1788 to 1791. Having suffered considerable damage in World War II, the Brandenburg Gate was fully restored from 2000 to 2002 by the Stiftung Denkmalschutz Berlin

Opposite direction of the gate

This is the hotel where M. Jackson held his baby out the window and the tabloids went crazy! Facing the gate.

2013 Cruising adventures
Old 10-24-2011, 04:19 PM   #149
dgbg100106

The Reiterstandbild Friedrichs des Großen is an equestrian statue of Frederick II of Prussia in Berlin

The Humboldt University of Berlin is Berlin's oldest university, founded in 1810 as the University of Berlin by the liberal Prussian educational reformer and linguist Wilhelm von Humboldt, whose university model has strongly influenced other European and Western universities. From 1828 it was known as the Frederick William University, later also as the Universität unter den Linden after its location. In 1949, it changed its name to Humboldt-Universität in honour of both its founder Wilhelm and his brother, naturalist Alexander von Humboldt. Einstein taught here too!

The Old Armory in Berlin
The battle uniforms for these statues were amazing...

Random shots while driving....

2013 Cruising adventures
Old 10-24-2011, 04:20 PM   #150
dgbg100106

Neue Wache and Käthe Kollwitz

In 1933, after the establishment of the National-Socialist regime, the Nazi Party authorities forced her to resign her place on the faculty of the Akademie der Künste following her support of the Dringender Appell. Her work was removed from museums. Although she was banned from exhibiting, one of her "mother and child" pieces was used by the Nazis for propaganda.

Working now in a smaller studio, in the mid-1930s she completed her last major cycle of lithographs, Death, which consisted of eight stones: Woman Welcoming Death, Death with Girl in Lap, Death Reaches for a Group of Children, Death Struggles with a Woman, Death on the Highway, Death as a Friend, Death in the Water, and The Call of Death.

In July 1936, she and her husband were visited by the Gestapo, who threatened her with arrest and deportation to a Nazi concentration camp; they resolved to commit suicide if such a prospect became inevitable. However, Kollwitz was by now a figure of international note, and no further action was taken. On her seventieth birthday, she "received over one hundred and fifty telegrams from leading personalities of the art world", as well as offers to house her in the United States, which she declined for fear of provoking reprisals against her family.

She outlived her husband (who died from an illness in 1940) and her grandson Peter, who died in action in World War II two years later.

She evacuated Berlin in 1943. Later that year, her house was bombed and many drawings, prints, and documents were lost. She moved first to Nordhausen, then to Moritzburg, a town near Dresden, where she lived her final months as a guest of Prince Ernst Heinrich of Saxony. Kollwitz died just before the end of the war.

Kollwitz made a total of 275 prints, in etching, woodcut and lithography. Virtually the only portraits she made during her life were images of herself, of which there are at least fifty. These self-portraits constitute a life-long honest self-appraisal; "they are psychological milestones".

Mother with her Dead Son a World War II war memorial. The sculpture is directly set under an oculus and is exposed to the weathers, symbolizing the suffering of civilians during the war.

This is a Parliament Building but nicknamed the Washing Machine

The Reichstag is one of the most popular and historical Berlin’s landmarks; this imposing building is the seat of the German Parliament. It was designed by Paul Wallot after the founding of the German Empire and constructed between 1884 and 1894, mainly funded with wartime reparation from France. The building was burnt in 1933 and was left as a ruin for a long time, during the cold war; it was restored after the German reunification and became again the seat of the parliament. There is a huge glass dome where the views over Berlin are impressive especially around sunset.

As we were leaving the area, I picked some random shots again...

Soviet War Memorial (Treptower Park) This war memorial was built to honour the Soviet soldiers that fell in the battles against the German army in the Second World War. It was located at the 17 June Street very close to the German parliament - the Reichstag

Weisse Kreuze, white crosses, as a reminder of all those who died trying to escape to West Berlin from the GDR after the border was sealed off.

Situated on an area of 20 hectares (about 50 acres) beside the River Spree, Schloss Bellevue was built for Prince August Ferdinand of Prussia, the younger brother of King Frederick II of Prussia. It sits on the north edge of the large Tiergarten park and served as the Prince's summer residence.

The Victory Column is a monument in Berlin, Germany. Designed by Heinrich Strack after 1864 to commemorate the Prussian victory in the Danish-Prussian War, by the time it was inaugurated on 2 September 1873, Prussia had also defeated Austria in the Austro-Prussian War (1866) and France in the Franco-Prussian War (1870–71), giving the statue a new purpose. Different from the original plans, these later victories in the so-called unification wars inspired the addition of the bronze sculpture of Victoria, 8.3 meters high and weighing 35 tonnes, designed by Friedrich Drake. Berliners, with their fondness for giving nicknames to buildings, call the statue Goldelse, meaning something like "Golden Lizzy".

We came back to our starting point and the crowds and left, so I got some better shots of the statues...

We rode back in what seemed like forever on the highway back to the ship. We made it back dropped everything off and headed for food. We ate some Italian and some sushi that turned out very good.
JoAnne and Albert both joined after their meal and listened to the music. The guitar and singing was pretty good.
Off to bed we go, so very tired, but there is that noise again. It is awful!

2013 Cruising adventures

Last edited by dgbg100106; 10-24-2011 at 04:31 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: