Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Gay and Lesbian at Disney
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2011, 01:39 PM   #91
HauntedBoy
Earning My Ears

I got engaged last weekend! We are about to celebrate our 12 year anniversary so it was a long time coming. I have never been so nervous around my partner than when I proposed. haha! I took him to dinner than walked down to Washington Square Park in the village. We met at NYU, so I thought it would be appropriate to propose under the arch.

Being a gay couple, I didn't really have a tradition to follow, but I did continue a tradition from my parents. My mom and dad married at age 18. They were young and didn't have much money at that time. Mom was pregnant too. My dad proposed to my mom with a plastic ring from one of those toy machines. So, I went and bought a plastic ring, put it in a ring box and proposed with that. I told him about how my dad had proposed, and that I wanted to keep the tradition alive.

We celebrated my parent's 40th anniversary in Disney last year with my sister and her family. I figured if they could last 40 years strong, plastic might be the way to go. haha!

He cried. I almost fainted. And the family was so thrilled. My nieces want a big wedding so they can be in it (the little one said she wanted to get married in NY so she could marry a woman and have more babies! haha My sister is about to have "the talk" to explain that might be tricker than she thinks). I was planning on a trip to the courthouse. Who knows what we will end up doing. I feel grateful to have a big family down in Kentucky (Catholic even) who want to be part of the special day, so I think we may go a bit bigger than I planned. I guess I better start saving some money!

So congrats to all who are taking the step. For those who can't marry legally, I will keep on fighting the good fight until we are all treated equally.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:34 PM   #92
dwheatl
DIS Veteran
Can you tell I'm a dyed-in-the lime-green-wool DL fan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HauntedBoy View Post
I got engaged last weekend! We are about to celebrate our 12 year anniversary so it was a long time coming. I have never been so nervous around my partner than when I proposed. haha! I took him to dinner than walked down to Washington Square Park in the village. We met at NYU, so I thought it would be appropriate to propose under the arch.

Being a gay couple, I didn't really have a tradition to follow, but I did continue a tradition from my parents. My mom and dad married at age 18. They were young and didn't have much money at that time. Mom was pregnant too. My dad proposed to my mom with a plastic ring from one of those toy machines. So, I went and bought a plastic ring, put it in a ring box and proposed with that. I told him about how my dad had proposed, and that I wanted to keep the tradition alive.

We celebrated my parent's 40th anniversary in Disney last year with my sister and her family. I figured if they could last 40 years strong, plastic might be the way to go. haha!

He cried. I almost fainted. And the family was so thrilled. My nieces want a big wedding so they can be in it (the little one said she wanted to get married in NY so she could marry a woman and have more babies! haha My sister is about to have "the talk" to explain that might be tricker than she thinks). I was planning on a trip to the courthouse. Who knows what we will end up doing. I feel grateful to have a big family down in Kentucky (Catholic even) who want to be part of the special day, so I think we may go a bit bigger than I planned. I guess I better start saving some money!

So congrats to all who are taking the step. For those who can't marry legally, I will keep on fighting the good fight until we are all treated equally.
Best wishes for a joy-filled wedding day and a long and successful marriage.
WDW trips1985 Newlyweds offsite 1987 With MIL offsite 1993, 1997, 2002, 2006 WDW Dolphin 2012 - Art of Animation
dwheatl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2011, 05:59 PM   #93
C&G'sMama
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Congratulations!!!!

And what a wonderful tradition and what an awesome family you have.

Keep us posted on what you end up doing.

"Those who dance are thought mad by those who hear not the music." - Unknown
C&G'sMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:37 PM   #94
Targsmom
Recently addicted to Disney!

Quote:

Congrats!!!

We are getting married this Saturday.. my mother is a mess she's so thrilled... for us, it's really a formality, (10 years together) but we are still excited! We got our license Friday, called the officiate that the clerk suggested and poof, he put us on for Saturday... it's a whirlwind I tell you!
Old 10-17-2011, 10:47 PM   #95
dwheatl
DIS Veteran
Can you tell I'm a dyed-in-the lime-green-wool DL fan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targsmom View Post
Congrats!!!

We are getting married this Saturday.. my mother is a mess she's so thrilled... for us, it's really a formality, (10 years together) but we are still excited! We got our license Friday, called the officiate that the clerk suggested and poof, he put us on for Saturday... it's a whirlwind I tell you!
Wishing you both all the best. That's adorable about your mom.
WDW trips1985 Newlyweds offsite 1987 With MIL offsite 1993, 1997, 2002, 2006 WDW Dolphin 2012 - Art of Animation
dwheatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:55 PM   #96
pixie dust 112
DIS Veteran
Anderson Cooper stews my juices!
Wanna move in with me?

Quote:
Congrats!!!

Best Wishes! Not sure where upstate you are, but it is supposed to be beautiful Saturday here in the Hudson Valley! I hope you have a wonderful day and marriage!
Old 10-21-2011, 09:43 AM   #97
Targsmom
Recently addicted to Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie dust 112 View Post
Best Wishes! Not sure where upstate you are, but it is supposed to be beautiful Saturday here in the Hudson Valley! I hope you have a wonderful day and marriage!
We are in Albany so we expect fantastic weather! Very excited!
Old 10-21-2011, 11:03 AM   #98
RadioFanatic
Mouseketeer
SO not a jewelry gal
I would like to introduce dh and myself - Doofus and Sleezy Chuckledoodle

Quote:
We are in Albany so we expect fantastic weather! Very excited!
Congrats - I'm from Scotia so I'll think of you guys - is Jennings marrying you?

RadioFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: