Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2011, 02:01 PM   #1
Hollywoodsign
Mouseketeer

Question Upgrade from Saratoga Springs to Beach & Yacht worth £600 ($975) extra?

Hello!

Im coming over in 2012 with my boyfriend and were currently booked to stay at Saratoga Springs. Ive never actually visited Saratoga Springs but am happy with photos and reviews I have read online. On our last visit to Disney we had a wander round Board Walk and stumbled upon Disney Yacht and Beach resort and was blown away! ...but the price is an extra £600 / $975!

Can anyone help me justify spending the extra cash for the upgrade!?
Was thinking about doing as a surprise for my boyfriend and blieve money is earned to be enjoyed ... BUT £600!?

What does everyone think?
Hollywoodsign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:10 PM   #2
simplymama
Mouseketeer

Oh, if it's within reason for you, without putting you into debt or anything, I definitely think it's worth the upgrade.

You will love the convenience of being only a short boat ride away from Hollywood Studios and being able to walk into Epcot.

The boardwalk at night, especially if you are coming during the summer is so nice.

Don't get me wrong, you'll have a great time, regardless, but the conveniences of being so close to two parks and some night life is worth the upgrade to me.

We go back and forth as to whether it's worth it for our family to stay club level each year at the Grand Floridian because clearly $$ wise we don't break even with the food we eat/drink. But we love the atmosphere, the convenience of the snacks and breakfast and so we do it. We also love being on the monorail and for us all that convenience makes it worth it to spend the extra $$.

We've never stayed at the Yacht Club, but have stayed at the Boardwalk a few times and really enjoyed the location. We've walked through the Yacht Club and it's just lovely.

Your coming an awful long way for a magical stay so I think it justifies splurging a bit if you can afford it:-)
Off Site Property Dec. 2000
Off Site Property April 2002,
Off site April 2003,
POR/Wilderness Lodge March 2004
Grand Floridian Royal Palm Club (RPC) June 2009,
Grand Floridian RPC/Boardwalk Inn Club August 2009,
BWI/Grand Floridian RPC August 2010,
Grand Floridian RPC July 2011,
Grand Floridian RPC March 2012
simplymama is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-15-2011, 02:44 PM   #3
Sammie
DIS Veteran

For me no it would not be worth it, that is a lot of very nice meals.

We have stayed at both many times and right now SSR is our favorite resort. Great pools and a new one opening in early July, love the room decor, it's my favorite of all the DVC resorts and the best staff on property.

Having a spa right next door is fabulous and with that extra money you could treat yourself.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:00 PM   #4
lsenquiz
DIS Veteran

Totally worth it to me. The values to me are:

Lots of dining options(Epcot, YC/BC, Boardwalk and the Swan and Dolphin)
Energy of the Boardwalk especially at night
Smaller resort so quicker to get from point a to point b
and most of all the ability to walk to Epcot and DHS - I do not like the buses and will pay extra to avoid them as much as possible.

If these things are not important to you then I would not pay the extra if they are then I would seriously consider it.
lsenquiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:40 PM   #5
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

I've stayed at both more than once and it's a toss up depending on how you want to vacation.

1. SSR is a nicer resort, especially for adults only. It's quieter, the pools are nicer. Yes, I know SAB at YC/BC is the end-all for pools but not really for adults only. The SSR pools are quieter, more relaxing. SSR has a spa on the premises that is very nice. It's very relaxing to sit out on your balcony here.
Also, you will have a studio villa that will have a bed and a sofa which gives you so much more room than the two beds at YC. My husband and I enjoy staying at SSR when we are doing a kick back vacation without a lot of planned dining. Transportation to/from parks is fine here and no further than in time than YC is to/from parks, with the exception of the short walk you would have to Epcot from YC.

2. YC has the convenience of the Epcot resort area and Epcot itself for a huge variety of dining options without having to get into some mode of transportation. If you want to be in the action, be able to walk easily for a meal, then yes, it's worth it to upgrade.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:55 PM   #6
LuvLuvLuv
DIS Veteran

check out beach club villas see if it's any less!

i like the epcot resort area and think it is absolutely worth it for the convenience!! ssr is nice, i love the spa, but to maximize time, you can't beat the location and amenities!

have a great trip!
Old 06-15-2011, 04:07 PM   #7
ElizabethB
I have a raw meat fetish. Who knew!!??

We've stayed at both Beach Club and Saratoga Springs. We love Beach Club. We didn't like Saratoga Springs. So, yes, well worth it to switch.
ElizabethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:12 PM   #8
HsvTeacher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywoodsign View Post
Hello!

Im coming over in 2012 with my boyfriend and were currently booked to stay at Saratoga Springs. Ive never actually visited Saratoga Springs but am happy with photos and reviews I have read online. On our last visit to Disney we had a wander round Board Walk and stumbled upon Disney Yacht and Beach resort and was blown away! ...but the price is an extra £600 / $975!

Can anyone help me justify spending the extra cash for the upgrade!?
Was thinking about doing as a surprise for my boyfriend and blieve money is earned to be enjoyed ... BUT £600!?

What does everyone think?
If you don't mind my asking, how many nights will the extra amount cover?

We've stayed at SSR several times, and we stayed at BCV a few days ago. Both have their pros and cons, but I think I would have to pick BCV. I like being able to walk over to Epcot, and HS is a quick boat ride away. Stormalong Bay was also awesome!
Once a Year from 1992-1997-Off Site*September 2008-ASMu*March 2009-POP *May 2009-SSR and AKV Kidani*June 2009-Vero Beach*October 2009-AKV Kidani*May 2010-AKV Kidani*June 2010-Vero Beach*June 2010-AKV Kidani*July 2010-SSR*October 2010-SSR*December 2010-Swan*December 2010-DCL Wonder*December 2010-AKL CL Jambo*April 2011-VWL*May 2011-My Sister's House*June 2011-BCV and BLT*June 2012-AKL CL Jambo*June 2012-DCL Fantasy*June 2012-AKV Kidani*July 2013-SSR*March 2014-AKV Kidani

(Me) (DH) * DVC Members (AKV) Since February 2009

HsvTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:57 PM   #9
Hollywoodsign
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all ur comments

Think I will go for the upgrade. Were staying for 2 weeks and also have the dining plan and rental car.

Will check out the Villas and see what the price difference is
Old 06-15-2011, 05:03 PM   #10
HsvTeacher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywoodsign View Post
Thanks for all ur comments

Think I will go for the upgrade. Were staying for 2 weeks and also have the dining plan and rental car.

Will check out the Villas and see what the price difference is
Two weeks for an extra $975? I'd definitely upgrade to BC, if you can't get a better deal for BCV.
Once a Year from 1992-1997-Off Site*September 2008-ASMu*March 2009-POP *May 2009-SSR and AKV Kidani*June 2009-Vero Beach*October 2009-AKV Kidani*May 2010-AKV Kidani*June 2010-Vero Beach*June 2010-AKV Kidani*July 2010-SSR*October 2010-SSR*December 2010-Swan*December 2010-DCL Wonder*December 2010-AKL CL Jambo*April 2011-VWL*May 2011-My Sister's House*June 2011-BCV and BLT*June 2012-AKL CL Jambo*June 2012-DCL Fantasy*June 2012-AKV Kidani*July 2013-SSR*March 2014-AKV Kidani

(Me) (DH) * DVC Members (AKV) Since February 2009

HsvTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:03 PM   #11
thelionqueen
DIS Veteran
The Tag Fairy threw me a bone to hear me scream!
My body has finally figured out that it can let go of the fat!

I would choose Beach club over the Yacht Club if given the choice, but honestly, I like Saratoga Springs over both of them. It is also in our top 2 of favorite resorts..I wouldn't spend the extra money on switching rooms. I'd spend it on romantic dinners, gifts or keep it in the bank. LOVE SSR!!
Old 06-15-2011, 05:56 PM   #12
Hollywoodsign
Mouseketeer

Oh dear I was hoping for a land slide in votes for BAYR. Will choose Yaught over Beach as it seems more grown up and classy! I'm going to go for the upgrade. I LOVE Disney and I want to make it a BIG one to remember as it's been 3 years sense the last time. Think I'd regret not doing it if we stay at SS. It's a long way to travel for it to not be perfect. Thank you all so much for ur views and comments :D
Old 06-15-2011, 05:58 PM   #13
Hollywoodsign
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HsvTeacher View Post
Two weeks for an extra $975? I'd definitely upgrade to BC, if you can't get a better deal for BCV.
BCV is slightly more that regular hotel. I guess they sleep more people?

Tags
beach club, saratoga, saratoga springs, yacht

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: