Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2011, 10:31 AM   #46
spacemountainmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspire&Imagine View Post
I just finished my junior year, taking three AP classes and one honors I promise though. Finally getting through the stress not only makes the trip feel more fun, but you get a sense of deserving the break. I'm sure your DD will be just fine

Being a high school student and a Disney lover is the worst. You're at that age where everyone is saying sianara to their childhood, so people just don't understand why I persistently hang on. One day during my free period I went on the Dis in the library and my friend said, "I don't understand how there can be entire boards about Disney World. I can't even imagine having so much to say about an entire country, let alone a theme park."

I said, "Have you ever been?"

He sheepishly said, "No."

A lot of people "just don't get it." I don't let it pull me down. By my logic, I say that someday I'll take them all. Then we'll have this conversation again :}
Thank you for sharing your perspective. We went in January and dd only had one AP class. She missed four days of school and everything was fine. It seems that some of the teachers take a harder line on vacations as we move forward in school.

We can't go during spring break and won't go during the summer so we might have to wait a bit. We'll see what happens.

My kids' friends so far are more in the "can we go with your?" and "gosh, you're lucky!" category. I wish I could take some of them.

My dh takes way more flak than me. He doesn't seem the type who would "love Disney" and yet he does. Many people just can't get over that. He doesn't care what anyone thinks.

spacemountainmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:34 AM   #47
aripantaloon
DIS Veteran

They're just jealous that they aren't cool enough to go to Disney! DH and I went to Disney several years before kids and we loved it!

1979 - offsite; 1988 - offsite; 1989 - offsite; 2000 - Poly with DH (then DF); 2008 - May 10-17 AKL as a family!!! May 9 at ASMo; 2010 - February 27-March 6 CSR!; 2012 - May 4-12 Poly; 2014 April 26-May 4 BC

aripantaloon is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-14-2011, 11:01 AM   #48
jalpert
Mouseketeer

I've never been to WDW, we have a trip scheduled in September. I haven't told anyone that we're going to Disney, and I thought I was being silly about it, but with the amount of guff people are taking I think I'll continue to keep it to myself.

When asked about the time, I have been saying Florida and people just assume beaches or a cruise like we've done the last couple of years.

It's odd though, there is a stigma to going, especially when you don't have kids. So yah, not really telling anyone was a good thing, as I don't really care to hear anyone's opinion on the subject :-)
jalpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:07 AM   #49
disneychic2
DIS Veteran

DH and I are empty nesters and we go every year. We get flack from my sister and one of my friends. Others don't say much, but I can tell they don't get it. On the other hand, there are those who (younger than we are) think we're so cool to be going so often. And others who wish they could go, so are happy for us.

DH does not get much said to him at work. One of his co-workers goes every year to some Elvis thing down at Graceland. Like a pp said, people don't think anything of it when they go camping, to the beach, on golf trips or to Vegas every year. As long as we continue to enjoy the rides, shows and atmosphere, we will continue to go.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:15 AM   #50
dfmalone
Disneyian In His Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalpert View Post
I've never been to WDW, we have a trip scheduled in September. I haven't told anyone that we're going to Disney, and I thought I was being silly about it, but with the amount of guff people are taking I think I'll continue to keep it to myself.

When asked about the time, I have been saying Florida and people just assume beaches or a cruise like we've done the last couple of years.

It's odd though, there is a stigma to going, especially when you don't have kids. So yah, not really telling anyone was a good thing, as I don't really care to hear anyone's opinion on the subject :-)
Tried this and failed, heres what happen when people ask (Especially other males) where Im going for vacation I use to say Florida, then the follow up question "oh yeah what part?" and my response "orlando" then the follow up to the follow up question " Disney?" then the ragging begins Just cant win!!

2011 WDW Caribbean Beach Resort, 2010 WDW Caribbean Beach Resort, 2009 WDW Old Key West, 2008 WDW Caribbean Beach Resort ,2007 WDW Grosvenor Inn
Me and the Wife
dfmalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:32 AM   #51
stacym
Mouseketeer

My Mother-in law always says we "need" to try something else. I asked my two oldest kids if they would like to try something else this winter, their response was "Why, anywhere else would be boring, what are we gonna do, lay around on a beach all day"?
Old 06-14-2011, 11:44 AM   #52
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cee View Post
I wonder why nobody ever says, "The Beach AGAIN???", "Camping AGAIN???",
"I just can't believe you are going SKIING again!?!?!"

But it seems to happen all the time with Disney. But clearly, the folks who are saying it, haven't been there, or they've been once without enough research/planning beforehand.

Just smile and nod....smile and nod....
I get this a lot too. Every time the topic of vacations come up with my BFF or my hairdresser, I get the rolleyes and the condescending "I suppose you're going to Disney World AGAIN." And I just smile and say "Yep!"

I remember when my younger DD got married. She and her fiance decided on a WDW wedding. His family had never been, and their reaction was "what are we going to do for A WHOLE WEEK?!" They thought it was the same size as Canada's Wonderland (sort of a Canadian Six Flags). So we all meet up at DTD on our first night and they're like deer in the headlights. They were stunned by the sheer size and variety available to them. DD had tried to prepare them. She had recommended guide books and web sites to them, and even a sample itinerary. But it wasn't till they had experienced their first full day that they realized that they would be hard pressed to even skim the surface during that week. We made believers of them all.

As much as the whole family loves all things Disney, it has never been our only vacation spot. Just our most recurrent one. We tend to go every other year now that we're both retired. In between we usually do a couple of small trips (a winter getaway to the Caribbean, a week on the west coast) and a bigger one (ie a couple of weeks in Europe). This fall was supposed to be a 'once in a lifetime' trip to Japan to celebrate our 35th anniversary; but those plans had to be scrapped after the tsunami and nuclear meltdowns. We just looked at each other and said "So I guess it's Disney World?" Yep
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:55 AM   #53
DizBelle
CSI: Can't Stand Idiots
Slimy yet satisfying?

I just try not to mention it.

Veni, vidi, Visa (I came, I saw, I shopped)

Some people should use a glue stick instead of chapstick.

====================================

====================================
DizBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:00 PM   #54
rmm7e
Mouseketeer

If you think it is bad when you tell people you are going again with your family, try telling them you are going solo and your DH is staying behind to watch the pets. Those looks combine scorn with pity. You gotta just let it roll off your back.
rmm7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:00 PM   #55
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

Quote:
does any one catch it from co-workers, family or freinds when you tell them your going to Disney again
No. But, I'm not in the habit of discussing my vacation plans with co-workers.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:02 PM   #56
dfmalone
Disneyian In His Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Noble View Post
No. But, I'm not in the habit of discussing my vacation plans with co-workers.
I shouldnt have said co-worker, she is a co-worker and a good friend dont get me wrong

2011 WDW Caribbean Beach Resort, 2010 WDW Caribbean Beach Resort, 2009 WDW Old Key West, 2008 WDW Caribbean Beach Resort ,2007 WDW Grosvenor Inn
Me and the Wife
dfmalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:05 PM   #57
LovinPooh
DIS Veteran

I have gotten so I dont tell anyone anything anymore. I get the "your going back there again"... ugh! or "thats a alot of money, why not go somewhere you havent been"
I have gotten so I just look at people and ask them if they would turn down a trip to WDW.
LovinPooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:16 PM   #58
cathydwin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kla View Post
After booking *again* this year, my FIL made the remark that we must really love "that place." They've never been...

(Oh yeah, this comes from a guy who vacations at the Jersey Shore the same week every year for the past 25+ years)
LOL, I get the same response from my MIL - who does not fly or drive - has been going to the same beach with the same motel for the past [gasp!] 75 years!.. but does not get that we spend less that her 2 weeks at the beach!

DH & I are just trying to get to the world and have time on our own before the "kids & spouses" arrive!
cathydwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:23 PM   #59
Halloweenluv03
Mouseketeer

My fiance has never been and I haven't been back since I worked there in 2001 (yes, I'm going thru Disney Withdrawl ) So, when he okayed our honeymoon to Disney, I couldn't have been more happy, but everyone keeps ragging on me that I've been there a millions times, and why Disney for my honeymoon? I actually started a similar thread in the honeymoon section. Drives me nuts that people can't just let us be. And after going to Six Flags Great Adventure with my fiance on and seeing how he doesn't do the big coasters, I think he will really enjoy Disney.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:25 PM   #60
ZephyrHawk
I can nicker too, but I'm not nearly as embarrassed about that
Please don't ski with your kid on a leash
I firmly believe in ghostly figments of my imagination

The only people who rag on us are my parents. My parents like Disney. They've been with and without kids. They don't rag us for wanting to go to Disney, but for wanting to go so often (we've been averaging about once every 3 years or so). They travel all around the world and wonder why we don't do that and instead keep going back to Disney. Hello, we're not retirees with tons of money and free time! They don't seem to get that for the price I'm paying for the European trip I'm planning this fall I could take 2 trips to Disney, have all my food paid for and better accomodations.

Polynesian Village (1983), Polynesian Village (1986), Grand Floridian (1989), All Star Sports (1997), Disneyland (1998), All Star Movies (2000), Port Orleans - French Quarter (2001), All Star Music (2002), Disneyland (2004), Wilderness Lodge (2007), Pop Century (2010), Saratoga Springs (2013), and Disney Land and Sea Extravaganza - Fantasy/Villas at Wilderness Lodge (coming Dec 2015)
ZephyrHawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disney, friends, vacation

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: