Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2011, 08:14 AM   #31
tony609
"I've Gotta Show To Do"

All my co-workers know my love for disney and WDW/DL. They never rag me about it in fact most say "I want to go" or "Your so lucky to go every year."
9/07,10/08,10/09,9/10,11/10,9/11,9/12, 5/13,5/13,9/13,5/14

DL-5/05, 5/12

COMING UP WDW-5/14, 9/14

FASTPASS+ THREAD
tony609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:17 AM   #32
dfmalone
Disneyian In His Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgyness View Post
WOW! Total coincidence with hotels, but thanks for the heads up! Always good to hear it from the horses mouth, as it were! That is so weird lol.

Still, I completely agree that every so often, you just HAVE to go back to WDW. I said I'd stopped at 16ish, but lo and behold, 19 and still want to go lol. I won't ever stop I think.
As for your friends, that is really sad. Especially the guy with a free ticket. I would be sure to milk that for all it is worth! Especially as I've never been to DLP. I'm afraid I couldn't possibly divert funds from WDW trips, but I understand its appeal

I hate it when people say that WDW is crowded. I have NEVER been to a theme park, nay, ANYWHERE in the UK that isnt packed full during summer. Why should it be any different in the US? Disney is 10 times more popular than Alton towers, and the amount of time I have heard people say they waited ages in queues there is amazing.
OMG, dude every year when were in Disney my wife and I are like were going to try something different next year and what happens we end up right back at Disney Love it!!! I dont know to me Disney is a real vacation

2011 WDW Caribbean Beach Resort, 2010 WDW Caribbean Beach Resort, 2009 WDW Old Key West, 2008 WDW Caribbean Beach Resort ,2007 WDW Grosvenor Inn
Me and the Wife
dfmalone is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-14-2011, 08:18 AM   #33
dfmalone
Disneyian In His Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony609 View Post
All my co-workers know my love for disney and WDW/DL. They never rag me about it in fact most say "I want to go" or "Your so lucky to go every year."
You have it good

2011 WDW Caribbean Beach Resort, 2010 WDW Caribbean Beach Resort, 2009 WDW Old Key West, 2008 WDW Caribbean Beach Resort ,2007 WDW Grosvenor Inn
Me and the Wife
Old 06-14-2011, 08:18 AM   #34
tavettava
DIS Veteran

I hear it too. "Your kids are teenagers now you need to go somewhere else" or "Disney again, you need to get a life." We love Disney, luckily I have a few people who love Disney too that I can talk to. If you've never been there or went without planning close your mouth.
April-May 2009 AKL Villa DVC
November 2009 Caribbean Beach Resort

Dh Me Dd ds

tavettava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:27 AM   #35
MightyDuck001
Mouseketeer

I get it with a slightly different twist. Working in an academic environment, I get a leftist critique of Disney World as an example of American corporate imperialism and an overall evil corporate entity that simply lied to the state of Florida in order to get their property so they could flagrantly disregard state and local governance while not paying their fair share of taxes and placing an undue burden on local taxpayers. Oh yeah, and they corrupt history.

There are people that enjoy it, but I think that they choose to say nothing to avoid the sometimes nasty and condescending conversations, though I enjoy discussing it with people. My friends who know me well, though, accept my love for Disney and have even said, "yeah, you strike me as someone who would love Disney."
MightyDuck001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:31 AM   #36
AndreaDM
Yeah...we mainly colored that day

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookmey View Post
We get a lot of comments from DH's family. My family never says a word because it was my parents who got me hooked on Disney! In fact my parents go more than I do now that they're retired!

We live in TX and all of our family is in MI, so when the in-laws find out we're going to Disney, they always ask why we're going there again and not coming up to MI intstead. They don't see the point in spending all that money in a place we've been to multiple times when we could have an inexpensive vacation in MI.

Because Disney is a vacation, going to MI is not!
THIS! But substitute NY for MI, and not even NYC, but upstate. For the first few years after DH moved to Ohio he spent most of his vacation time going back to visit his parents, and we still go a few weekends every year, but we also take at least a week to go on "real vacation", just for us. I know they think I'm the one who forces him to go to WDW, but he loves it just as much as DD and I do! When we visit his parents, his mother plans out the entire itinerary of who we'll visit and when, and where and when to have dinner, etc., a weekend is all I can take!!
Old 06-14-2011, 08:32 AM   #37
skater
Change sometimes stinks.. doesn't it?
I love to hear WWII stories

I was pulled aside at a family event. I thought it was a serious question of magnitude. Instead it was, "Is there something new every year at Disney? Why would you keep going back? Wouldn't you like to try something else?" Of course this person doesn't like me anyway - it was like she was waiting to zing me with something and that's all she could come up with .

Since she's not worth explaining the magic to (I would if she would listen, but she won't), I just said, "Why do some people go to the same beach every year?" She stumbled and tried to say that was different, but she knew she was sounding ridiculous at that point .
skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:33 AM   #38
ilovejsparrow
Working on my degree so I can support my WDW obsession!

I get ragged on too and it starting to get to me! I'm so lucky to be able to visit sometimes twice a year, and my family and I get questioned every time.
I try to defend it by saying that there are so many wonderful details and things to see that every trip is different. Some people just don't get it!
WDW Commando Member #165

ilovejsparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:37 AM   #39
Inspire&Imagine
Mouseketeer

Location: New York (not having jetlag when you go to Disney is always a bonus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemountainmom View Post
We've gone the last four years in a row and love, love, love it! We'd like to go again next year but dd will be a junior taking two AP classes and we just don't think we can pull her from school.
I just finished my junior year, taking three AP classes and one honors I promise though. Finally getting through the stress not only makes the trip feel more fun, but you get a sense of deserving the break. I'm sure your DD will be just fine

Being a high school student and a Disney lover is the worst. You're at that age where everyone is saying sianara to their childhood, so people just don't understand why I persistently hang on. One day during my free period I went on the Dis in the library and my friend said, "I don't understand how there can be entire boards about Disney World. I can't even imagine having so much to say about an entire country, let alone a theme park."

I said, "Have you ever been?"

He sheepishly said, "No."

A lot of people "just don't get it." I don't let it pull me down. By my logic, I say that someday I'll take them all. Then we'll have this conversation again :}
October 2001, Marriot offsite; August 2004, Polynesian concierge; August 2006, Polynesian w/ extended family; April 2008, Wilderness Lodge; August 2010, split Polynesian and Animal Kingdom Lodge stay for 16th birthday!; August 2011, Coronado Springs resort for bro's graduation; August 2012, Contemporary and Poly, last trip before college! <3 the World

Last edited by Inspire&Imagine; 06-14-2011 at 08:42 AM. Reason: forgot to include something
Inspire&Imagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:39 AM   #40
Kurby
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you. ~Walt Disney

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

i used to get heat over it from a friend of mine for ages

dh and i started going together once a year when we were dating and only recently sttarted going every other year with our daughter.

she used to say "i just don't get it - why do you HAVE to go every year"?

until i said one day - ya right, this coming from the person who goes to Mexico every new years from the year i met her. that shut her up.

then my aunt - the third time she asked my answer to her was. "dont' you and uncle have a trip to Vegas booked in a few months?

- yes we do.

- ohhhh - are you going to cancel?

- no why would we do that?

- well haven't you already been there..... like 10 times already? same hotel, same show, same gambeling? (all said with a smile on my face) she smile and nodded and never said another word about it.

i couldnt' care less what others think and most of the time we don't say where we're going until we get home.

last trip dd told my brother (who had taken a trip to Japan a few months before) that she too went to Japan and showed him the pictures to prove it. he smiled and said - pretty close.
Kurby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:43 AM   #41
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

I don't agree with it being a "kiddie place", but I don't argue that variety is the spice of life. We went in 2009 and 2010, were going to go this year, but found out we are going with the marching band in 2012.

To be honest, I have gotten a little sick of going to the same place very year. Now, instead, we still going to the Orlando area, but doing three days at Universal instead. And we are taking some time on the St. Lawrence. Eventually I'd like to visit Ireland, England, and mainland Europe.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:45 AM   #42
MissStitch626
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyDuck001 View Post
I get it with a slightly different twist. Working in an academic environment, I get a leftist critique of Disney World as an example of American corporate imperialism and an overall evil corporate entity that simply lied to the state of Florida in order to get their property so they could flagrantly disregard state and local governance while not paying their fair share of taxes and placing an undue burden on local taxpayers. Oh yeah, and they corrupt history.

There are people that enjoy it, but I think that they choose to say nothing to avoid the sometimes nasty and condescending conversations, though I enjoy discussing it with people. My friends who know me well, though, accept my love for Disney and have even said, "yeah, you strike me as someone who would love Disney."

I don't work in an academic environment but I get this to some extent also. I have a co-worker who reminds me repeatedly that Disney is nothing more than a corporation who wants to make money. Really? Disney wants to make money? Who knew? It's as if him telling me that is this massive revelation that I would never have guessed without his intellectual input!

When someone tells me that Disney just wants to take my money, my usual response is "of course it does. And I'm happy for them to have it!"
September 2011 - Port Orleans Riverside

November 2013 - Art of Animation

MissStitch626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:52 AM   #43
dfmalone
Disneyian In His Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightlessDuck View Post
I don't agree with it being a "kiddie place", but I don't argue that variety is the spice of life. We went in 2009 and 2010, were going to go this year, but found out we are going with the marching band in 2012.

To be honest, I have gotten a little sick of going to the same place very year. Now, instead, we still going to the Orlando area, but doing three days at Universal instead. And we are taking some time on the St. Lawrence. Eventually I'd like to visit Ireland, England, and mainland Europe.
Now, that I do agree with, thats why next year my wife and I are going to Trinidad and Tabago (the real one, not the one at CBR )

Me and the Wife
Old 06-14-2011, 09:09 AM   #44
think-like-tink
DIS Veteran

Yep. All the time here too. My friends just don't get it. It makes me sad that they don't WANT to get it. And they have kids. Like Christmas, for example, My kids don't get one of everything like some of my friends kids. We do one big gift and some small gifts. But, My kids know when we have a trip planned that we cut down on things and so far...knock on wood they are ok with that. My friends go shopping ALL the time, me, I like to go shopping at Disney World! Gosh, it comes down too, that I cherish the memories that we make as a family at our happy place much, much more than the material things in life that my friends have. I take a lot of crap for it too. We go BIG at Disney.

Disney World is the glue that holds my family together.
[link=http://distickers.com/ticker/][img noborder]http://distickers.com/ticker/tickers/qclo93tkqequauum.png[/img][/link]
think-like-tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:27 AM   #45
bzlady2
Earning My Ears

Talking

OP tell your co-worker that she sounds like she is jealous. Every time she rags on you repeat "Wow! You really are jealous." "You certainly sound jealous." Make sure you use a loud voice so others hear the remark. Keep it up every time she starts and it should stop the ragging.
bzlady2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disney, friends, vacation

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: