Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 08:35 AM   #856
Janet Hill
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalansky View Post
Which leads me to wonder - are there different tiered owners? Why would one owner only be able to get a one bedroom but another owner can get a 2 bedroom? I also emailed a 3rd owner and they said no availability at all. Does anyone know how that can be? I requested quotes for the exact same dates and got 3 different answers. This is only my curiousity speaking, as a DVC owner.
There are 5 tiers of owners: regular owners; VIP; VIP Gold; VIP Platinum and Presidential Reserve. In general the biggest benefits of VIP status are unlimited housekeeping credits, point discounts and free upgrades. Point discounts and free upgrades vary by level of ownership.

Quotes can differ as owners can ask different prices for their product based on their underlying costs. MF vary by resort as does the price that owners buy in at. Same differences can occur when renting DVC points. I've paid as low as $7/point and as high as $10/point all within 15 months.

Mega renters often reserve inventory for certain time periods and then if it doesn't rent they will cancel. There is most likely some Christmas inventory for rent somewhere, but as of this morning there was no availabilty directly from Wyndham. The inventory can and does change frequently as owners cancel and reserve units throughout the day.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:25 AM   #857
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
DCtootall - thank you for that info! That helps a lot. My friend is willing and can pay up front so I think she is going with Farrell - mostly because they want the 2 bedroom and Ken Price said he could only get a one bedroom for the same dates.

Which leads me to wonder - are there different tiered owners? Why would one owner only be able to get a one bedroom but another owner can get a 2 bedroom? I also emailed a 3rd owner and they said no availability at all. Does anyone know how that can be? I requested quotes for the exact same dates and got 3 different answers. This is only my curiousity speaking, as a DVC owner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Hill View Post
There are 5 tiers of owners: regular owners; VIP; VIP Gold; VIP Platinum and Presidential Reserve. In general the biggest benefits of VIP status are unlimited housekeeping credits, point discounts and free upgrades. Point discounts and free upgrades vary by level of ownership.

Quotes can differ as owners can ask different prices for their product based on their underlying costs. MF vary by resort as does the price that owners buy in at. Same differences can occur when renting DVC points. I've paid as low as $7/point and as high as $10/point all within 15 months.

Mega renters often reserve inventory for certain time periods and then if it doesn't rent they will cancel. There is most likely some Christmas inventory for rent somewhere, but as of this morning there was no availabilty directly from Wyndham. The inventory can and does change frequently as owners cancel and reserve units throughout the day.
Janet pretty much touched on most of it. A couple other factors that can play in.....

Presidential Reserve tiered owners (own over 1,000,000 points purchased from the developer at a presidential reserve resort) get some extra "perks" such as exclusive access to the "Presidential Reserve" presidential units that are at certain resorts and not released into general inventory until very close to the date of travel.

The price differences you see from the commercial renters often come due to what VIP level they own (and the related point discounts and upgrades they can get), as well as where thier home resort is. (different home resorts can have different MF's)

And especcially for extremely popular resorts like Wyndham Bonnet Creek during popular weeks, you will see a lot of the commercial renters making reservations in order to secure inventory on the assumption that they'll be able to rent it out. Owners have until 15days prior to the date of travel to cancel without any real consequences. (after 15days, you forfeit all the points used to make that reservation). Since you can reserve at your home resort at 13mo (10mo for non-home resorts), this gives the commercial renters tons of time to try and move the inventory.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-25-2011, 08:43 PM   #858
snappy
Survivor
Can't even start a dead thread!
Former 5 yr old STAR on stage!

Are the presidential reserve presidential units a different type of unit than presidential units?
Old 10-25-2011, 11:37 PM   #859
DCTooTall

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy View Post
Are the presidential reserve presidential units a different type of unit than presidential units?
No. The only difference between a regular Presidential unit and a Presidential Reserve suite is how you can get one. Basically, Presidential Reserve units are not made available to non-Presidential Reserve owners until about 30days before the travel dates, or 75% of the Presidential Reserve inventory is reserved.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:43 PM   #860
DCTooTall

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy View Post
No. The only difference between a regular Presidential unit and a Presidential Reserve suite is how you can get one. Basically, Presidential Reserve units are not made available to non-Presidential Reserve owners until about 30days before the travel dates, or 75% of the Presidential Reserve inventory is reserved.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:40 AM   #861
snappy
Survivor

Thanks for the info. I saw the sign on the doors of the presidential units saying presidential reserve, so I thought they were all the same, but it is good to have that clarified.

I think the owner I deal with can request a specific presidential unit, depending on what is available when booking. I know he owns a lot of points. I did not know about a 30 day booking rule, only the 60 day.

Thanks again.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:46 AM   #862
snappy
Survivor

I wanted to add that when I checked in at Tower 6 the night before the Race for the Cure on Oct 14th, the "parking pass area" was decorated with a whole bunch of pink balloons and they were offering champagne to guests checking in

I guess I was not the only guest arriving that day for the race. Interesting that management knew the race was the next day.

Nice touch.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:01 AM   #863
Mom-2-2Princesses
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Thank you! I am tryig to convince her how its not a scam, and that a 2 bedroom will be SOOOO much better than a one bedroom with 2 adults and 2 kids. Your response did help, so thank you.

If anyone else has rented from Farrells and can help, please let me know.

We have a 2br Deluxe booked thru Farrell for Spring Break 2012 as well, for the exact same price. I was also leery about this, but took the plunge and it has been a very good experience so far.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:07 AM   #864
zalansky

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom-2-2Princesses View Post
We have a 2br Deluxe booked thru Farrell for Spring Break 2012 as well, for the exact same price. I was also leery about this, but took the plunge and it has been a very good experience so far.
Thats great to hear. Enjoy your trip! My friend did decide to go with farrell, and paid in full and got her confirmation. I think she is relaxing a little bit about it, with my pushing of course.

They have always stayed at Embassy Suites because they need two seperate rooms due to a snoring issue. They have also been stuck on the free breakfast at Embassy. I have been on her for years to rent a timeshare and can't wait until they check in and see the room and its location. Not to mention, this is cheaper than Embassy and with the extra money they could go out to breakfast every morning if they wanted to.

I own DVC but I am dying to rent at WBC myself! Someday, when I have no points leftover

Old 10-27-2011, 12:31 PM   #865
TinkOhio
DIS Veteran

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I'm hoping for guidance on how to request a certain location/view for our upcoming stay. We booked thru Ken Price and will be vacationing over the Christmas break. We stayed in building 5, on a very high floor overlooking the pool and lake last year. We loved the location!

This year, we will be returning and are hoping for a similar view/location. Last year, my mother passed away while we were on vacation. This year, we booked an extra bedroom so that we can take my dad with us and try to keep him as happy as possible during what will likely be a difficult time for him. We just want to make it as special as possible for him!

I know that Ken can call and make a request before we arrive, but is there anyone I can talk to down there to see what they can do?

Thanks for any help!
Old 10-27-2011, 01:31 PM   #866
DCTooTall

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkOhio View Post
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I'm hoping for guidance on how to request a certain location/view for our upcoming stay. We booked thru Ken Price and will be vacationing over the Christmas break. We stayed in building 5, on a very high floor overlooking the pool and lake last year. We loved the location!

This year, we will be returning and are hoping for a similar view/location. Last year, my mother passed away while we were on vacation. This year, we booked an extra bedroom so that we can take my dad with us and try to keep him as happy as possible during what will likely be a difficult time for him. We just want to make it as special as possible for him!

I know that Ken can call and make a request before we arrive, but is there anyone I can talk to down there to see what they can do?

Thanks for any help!
General guidelines for room requests tend to be to call the resort directly at around 2weeks to let them know your request. there is however no guarantee that they will accommodate that request. (Or that they can if you are requesting a 1bdrm or 3bdrm unit since they tend to be located in different parts of the different towers, so some buildings may not even have a "lake side" room of that size in it.)
Old 10-27-2011, 02:07 PM   #867
TinkOhio
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the information. We'll be in a two bedroom. I didn't think that there would be a guarantee, but thought it might not hurt to call.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:42 PM   #868
crystaldawn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkOhio View Post

Thanks for any help!
I simply emailed when I got my confirmation. They did not promise anything but we did get exactly what we wanted. It was right around the 2 wk mark when we asked.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:11 PM   #869
f19810
Mouseketeer

I'm thinking about renting a car and was wondering how easy it is to get to/from the parks and airport. I will coming solo so I will have nobody to help me with directions. If I was doing all of my driving in the daytime, I wouldn't be worried, but at night I am afraid that I will get lost. So is there good signage or landmarks to prevent me from getting lost? Will the front desk give me good driving directions? Also, if I do rent a car, how much time should I allow to get from Epcot to the airport for my return flight?
Thanks
Old 10-27-2011, 08:22 PM   #870
carlbarry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by f19810 View Post
I'm thinking about renting a car and was wondering how easy it is to get to/from the parks and airport. I will coming solo so I will have nobody to help me with directions. If I was doing all of my driving in the daytime, I wouldn't be worried, but at night I am afraid that I will get lost. So is there good signage or landmarks to prevent me from getting lost? Will the front desk give me good driving directions? Also, if I do rent a car, how much time should I allow to get from Epcot to the airport for my return flight?
Thanks
Signage is excellent. Before I had a GPS, I only got lost once. Since I have the GPS, I've never gotten lost. And before I knew my way around (I've been there 6 times), it allowed me to wander widely without worrying about getting lost. So I highly recommend a GPS.

Closed Thread