Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 04:20 PM   #2971
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfreak7 View Post
Thanks....Is it true that there is a $fee for the cab to pull up to a park?
I wonder if we could hop on the WBC shuttle if we are staying on Disney property? no flames please, just wondering.
Disney has an exclusive Contract with the Mears Company. This means that all taxi's you see at the Park Taxi Stands (And at the resorts), are Mears Cabs. Mears cabs are also able to drop off passengers at the parks and resorts without any surcharges.

Other Cab companies are also allowed to drop people off at the Disney Parks, but they must pay the $14 Taxi/Parking fee at the parking booths in order to get to the park drop-off point. This is usually then passed along to the rider. I believe it's also exclusively drop-offs to the 4 parks which charge a parking fee.

For EPCOT, if you are catching a cab at the park and taking it back to the resort, You don't have to worry about the fee.

If you are catching a cab at the resort, and you get a MEARs cab (I believe the Checker Cabs are part of Mears in that area), then you don't need to worry about the $14 surcharge to get dropped off at the park.

If you get another non-Mears affiliated Cab at the resort, You can expect to either pay the additional $14 surcharge that Disney charges the cab company, Or you could ask to be dropped off at the Boardwalk and then walk to the International Gateway entrance to EPCOT.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:53 PM   #2972
ShortStuff
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by budafam View Post
Thank you so much for the compliments on the video! I messed up though and posted the wrong one... lol... this is the one with Bonnet Creek right in the beginning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpZBT...&feature=g-upl
They are both great and I truly enjoyed them!! Your children are adorable, but tell your son I said he is handsone!!: I am so happy you had such a wonderful vacation!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper_jj11 View Post
Sorry. I didn't mean to give the impression that we didn't have a good time. We did. It was wonderful despite the rain. And I did know in advance everything about housekeeping. What I didn't realize was how I'd feel about it. I was very much looking forward to staying at WBC especially considering the great price. And I did mention it was a beautiful resort. Just not for us. I knew I didn't want to stay in a condo or further offsite but just thought WBC was so close that I'd feel differently about it... but I didn't. And I know now so that's a good thing. We'll still stay there if we have a larger group but just not if there are only the five of us. I'm not the complaining type really. I just thought others might benefit from a returning view that was a bit different. If I had seen a few posts like mine, I may have realized earlier that it wouldn't really be for me. Just trying to help out.

I didn't know about the string and postal. We aren't from the US. I asked the shipping dept for string because I thought it would be easier to get the parcel off the conveyor belt when we decided to check it as luggage. I just assumed that when I was told they had boxes and paper that they'd have string too... my mistake.
You know, there is a great teacher called experience!! I am happy you were lucky enough to figure out what is right for your family!! That my dear is what will allow you to have and enjoy your future vacations!!

I Disney Magic!! I think it is what makes the difference between visiting Disney and other amusement parks/tourist destinations. We used to own DVC, but due to a divorce in the family, we now own Shell and Wyndham points. Despite our love for the magic, we know this is the way we can have the ability to still travel, with accom. we are used to, have wonderful vacations, with lots of room and family members along. So, for us it is the trade off. As a side point, we went to San Antonio for two nights, in a regular motel room. My grandson walked in, looked around and said, 'Grandma, where's the rest of the house?'. A bit spoiled I'd say, but since he is on the autism spectrum, it makes a difference in his experience.

We priced out a trip, with free dining at pop. We figured out that by the time we bought park tickets through Disney (we are buying military tickets), paying rack rate for the room, we can get our 2 bedroom condo, still eat lunch in the parks, pay for parking and have family along.

Does it mean we need to cook a few meals? Yeppers, but we also get to eat out, eat at the parks, and do easy, inexpensive meals, like rotisserie chickens, pork roast in a crockpot and hamb. helper, which my grandmunchkins like.

I will freely admit, I would rather still be a disney snob, but unfortunately, life has thrown me a fast ball.

Thank you for sharing your experience, as those are the same concerns I had when we first started condo vacations. Now, I will never look back!!!:

This of course is the most important thing about life!! Our differences is what makes the world go around and makes life as interesting as it is!!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-28-2012, 08:12 PM   #2973
osugal
Mouseketeer

For people who stay off site....what are your park plans like? Do you go every day? Is there any reason to do park hoppers?
Old 06-28-2012, 08:27 PM   #2974
eeyorepixie
AKA Queenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylsmike View Post
I just booked our first stay at WBC! Well I paid the deposit anyway. We will be there April 10-18 2013 before our very first (testing the waters) cruise on the Dream. We left DH behind on our Christmas trip so its his turn. Since it's just us we booked a 1 bedroom.

We had Art of Animation Little Mermaid room booked, but DH wanted to make the dining plans and when he saw the sticker prices on the Disney meals (this is his 4th trip so I am not sure why this is a surprise except I did most of the planning) he said we needed to try a condo with a kitchen. I had tried to get him to try WBC but he wanted to stay only on-site until he saw the meal prices.

Turns out with a quote from VS we are saving over $300 from our Disney res. I know I will miss the Disney magic and I am sad but we are calling it a recon trip for future trips with the kids. Although I am certain I will not miss the value beds. The are older now and one Disney room is not going to work anymore.
Hey Cheryl long time no see There are 3 of us in the AVC staying at WBC this August. A cruise in April I have one booked in April too for 4 days on the Wonder, but will be cancelling because I want a 7 day on the Fantasy in 2014 when the dates come out
I just wanted to give you a big Ol'Queenie hug
Old 06-28-2012, 08:49 PM   #2975
sherabby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishwal View Post
Thank you!
Old 06-28-2012, 09:08 PM   #2976
SYLVESTER7577
RADIATOR MAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortStuff View Post
They are both great and I truly enjoyed them!! Your children are adorable, but tell your son I said he is handsone!!: I am so happy you had such a wonderful vacation!!

You know, there is a great teacher called experience!! I am happy you were lucky enough to figure out what is right for your family!! That my dear is what will allow you to have and enjoy your future vacations!!

I Disney Magic!! I think it is what makes the difference between visiting Disney and other amusement parks/tourist destinations. We used to own DVC, but due to a divorce in the family, we now own Shell and Wyndham points. Despite our love for the magic, we know this is the way we can have the ability to still travel, with accom. we are used to, have wonderful vacations, with lots of room and family members along. So, for us it is the trade off. As a side point, we went to San Antonio for two nights, in a regular motel room. My grandson walked in, looked around and said, 'Grandma, where's the rest of the house?'. A bit spoiled I'd say, but since he is on the autism spectrum, it makes a difference in his experience.

We priced out a trip, with free dining at pop. We figured out that by the time we bought park tickets through Disney (we are buying military tickets), paying rack rate for the room, we can get our 2 bedroom condo, still eat lunch in the parks, pay for parking and have family along.

Does it mean we need to cook a few meals? Yeppers, but we also get to eat out, eat at the parks, and do easy, inexpensive meals, like rotisserie chickens, pork roast in a crockpot and hamb. helper, which my grandmunchkins like.

I will freely admit, I would rather still be a disney snob, but unfortunately, life has thrown me a fast ball.

Thank you for sharing your experience, as those are the same concerns I had when we first started condo vacations. Now, I will never look back!!!:

This of course is the most important thing about life!! Our differences is what makes the world go around and makes life as interesting as it is!!!
My wife and I also love Disney Magic. We also love saving money (trying to retire) and we always have a hard time deciding where to stay. We can stay in hotels, some nice ones for free because of my wifes job. We have stayed on property and now we will try WBC this October. We were not able to have children so it's just the two of us. My first trip to Disney was 7 years ago. We started with reasonable hotels in Kissimmee (ten minutes away) and graduated to nicer suites, then Disney property. We love Disney so much that shying away from $300.00 nights on property is hard to do but easier by the pocketbook. WBC will be less than $90 a night for a two bedroom and looks to be very fun. I don't like the issues some people have of small rooms, crowds, lesser ammenities of the value resorts to save money. We need two rooms until one of us??? stops snoring. We always have had non-expiring tickes and the meal plans are a waste for her appitite. So those specials don't interest us. What we will miss tho is the Magical Express and having simply said: our best and most relaxing vacation ever at Fort Wilderness. The best ever! Quiet secluded not over crowded but all the Disney we wanted. It is true you get what you pay for some times. I am hoping and for what I've read here should have a great time at WBC. A few more people but a lot of offerings. It is hard to choose sometimes. Some realy great reviews have been posted here.

WDW 2006 TWICE WDW 2007
WDW 2009 TWICE WDW 2010 TWICE WDW FWC 2011
WDW FWC SPRING 2012 WBC FALL 2012
WDW POR JANUARY 2013 OFF SITE MARCH 2013 CS APRIL 2013 WBC OCTOBER 2013
WDW POP JANUARY 2014 POP MAY 2014 POP OCTOBER 2014
Old 06-29-2012, 12:51 AM   #2977
Upatnoon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by osugal View Post
For people who stay off site....what are your park plans like? Do you go every day? Is there any reason to do park hoppers?
Here's how we "hop" from park to park.

We will go to MK or another park in the morning, take an afternoon break at the resort, then go to Epcot for dinner or for a treat at the bakery in France.

Or in the fall, we go to Animal Kingdom during the day, take a break, then go to Hollywood studios at night for the Osborne lights.

Or we may go to Epcot during the day, take break, then go over to MK to see wishes.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:28 AM   #2978
descovy
DIS Veteran

We are in tower 3 and have wifi. Considering our room is a parking lot view with tube TVs and laminate counters (horrors!) it's same to assume all the "preferred" towers have it too.

We (2 parents 3 kids) have enjoyed our stay. In our situation, we are using time share points for free given by my aunt since she won't be using them this year. Orlando was the only city with summer openings in our 1000 mi driving radius.

We have spent 1 day at Universal IOA, and 2 half days exploring downtown Disney and monorail resorts. Today is my dh's birthday so we will rent a cabana and hang by the pool.

While enjoyable, we feel very much at home. As in, I do laundry, he takes out the trash. I prep food, he cleans the kitchen. All have to remember to make their beds and pick up their towels. Been grocery shopping and grocery unloading. Sure feels like home! Dh was super excited to BBQ on the grills which I happily obliged, to which I reminded him that at home we just call BBQ hamburgers "Tuesday"... Somehow more exciting here ???
Old 06-29-2012, 05:57 AM   #2979
ez
Yoshi Lover
Alas, I have been a dvc and concierge snob (but I'll stay in a moderate if I must)

We used to be DVC owners at Boardwalk, and spent alot of time on Disney property. I have to say Bonnet Creek has completely won me over. The huge suites for reasonable prices, being able to park yourselves in front of your building (I did like OKW for that too) not walking a mile to the elevator and not getting reprimanded for having a beer by the pool! Last time we were over we did the character breakfast at Beach Club, and seeing the commotion in the lobby and people seeming to be lined up in all these different areas of the hotel, or whatever, I couldnt wait to get back to bonnet creek. We have spent a fortune staying on Disney property over the years and at the time I thought it was worth it....no more! Maybe I'm just getting older, but I am over that!
Old 06-29-2012, 06:53 AM   #2980
eeyorepixie
AKA Queenie

I feel the need for someone to post a nic looooong review
Old 06-29-2012, 07:16 AM   #2981
nilseks
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTooTall View Post
I know milk and some other stuff are available at the onsite shop. Honestly, the selection is extremely limited and expensive and generally not worth it. The Hess station may also have some stuff, but again, overpriced and not necessarily worth it.

Depending upon what you are wanting, if you don't want to make a store run, You might want to look at one of the grocery delivery services such as Garden Grocer. I don't know if they can do alcohol though.

Personally, I like making a run by the Walmart the day I arrive to grab some things when I fly in. It doesn't take that long and that way I can get all the items I need and the exact brands or sizes that I want instead of relying on a limited selection available at most small convenience shops. (Bonus: the Walmart has a Liquor store at the front, so I can also grab some rum or other tasty adult beverage so I can save some money at the pool bar.)
Thanks DCTooTall! Appreciate the info. We have used GardenGrocer in the past and liked them. Just figured since we'll have a car this time I would try to pick up a few things, but I guess you can't have it both ways. I'm thrifty so I don't want to spend a ton on groceries.

Can you give me the general location of this Walmart? I know there are a few in the area; I'd prefer to hit the closest one so I can zip in and out.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:35 AM   #2982
Miz Diz
I'll give up anything, as long as it isn't ice cream
And now my head is really spinningHe can't understand why he can't get me that excited.

Which towers have been Refurbished or at least got new sofas? I need to request a tower. I was thinking 2 or 5. I know if our room has a torn sofa or the room is in bad shape, my dh will never stay offsite again. my friend told me to request tower 6, but i would love to try for a fireworks view. Our trips are overlapping by 2 days. She said she always stays in 6.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:20 PM   #2983
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
Honestly, I think from a park touring standpoint, Everybody tours the parks in their own way. That won't change much on a personal level between staying onsite and offsite.

Ultimately I think there are only 2 factors from offsite that could change a person's personal preferences on how they tour the parks. 1. Since you are offsite, You can't take advantage of EMH, so it's a non-factor for you. [some people only get park-hoppers so they can take advantage of EMH, then park-hop to a less crowded non-EMH park during the day]. and 2., Since it's much less expensive to stay offsite compared to onsite, you may be able to afford a longer trip and more time around the parks.

So the question on if there is any reason to do parkhoppers, it really comes down to a personal preference. If the only reason you did parkhoppers was so that you could take advantage of EMH while enjoying the day in a non-EMH less crowded park.... Then no. You probably don't need Park-hoppers. If you are someone who enjoys park hopping, then staying onsite of offsite isn't going to change that. Then you have the whole fact that if you are lengthening your trip from what you normally stay onsite, Parkhoppers may be worthwhile for you since you can spend the extra days going back and hitting favorites in the different parks or things you missed on your first go-round in the park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilseks View Post
Thanks DCTooTall! Appreciate the info. We have used GardenGrocer in the past and liked them. Just figured since we'll have a car this time I would try to pick up a few things, but I guess you can't have it both ways. I'm thrifty so I don't want to spend a ton on groceries.

Can you give me the general location of this Walmart? I know there are a few in the area; I'd prefer to hit the closest one so I can zip in and out.
I think I remember the Walmart directions from the resort were added to the first post awhile ago.

My personal favorite is the one off 535.... it's also the easiest to swing by on your way to the resort from the airport (if you take the southern airport route)
Old 06-29-2012, 01:10 PM   #2984
Bellamouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
This seemed like an odd question to me (not being critical of you - it just made me scratch my head) - I couldn't figure out what where someone stayed had to do with park hoppers or not?

Someone else kind of answered that question for me, but as someone who has stayed off property on all trips but one, how we tour has nothing to do with where we stay.

We buy 10 day non expiring tickets, not tickets specifically for one trip, so for us, each day is worth about $40 (roughly). Also, we are just two adults with no kids, so there is no way we would spend an entire day at MK, and no way we would waste the extra half day doing nothing when the tickets cost us $40 each.

I say $40 because our 10 day non expiring, park hopper WPF&M tickets were about 600 each. Because we use our WPF&M just for water parks, and spend a whole day there, we count them as another day. So 10 park days and 6 waterpark days is 16 days that never expire.

So we try to maximize our value for that $80 or so dollars we spend for park admission each day, and go half days to different parks. We also don't much care for DHS so only spend a half day there. We can also finish AK in about a half day so we would go to another park that day as well.

For us, it would be a big waste to spend $80 to spend only a half day at a park. So park hoppers are a must.

Because we go from 9 am to 9 pm every day at the parks, with no break in the afternoon, we don't need EMH. We wouldn't go much earlier than 9 anyway (heck, it's vacation - I don't want to get up that early!) and after 12 hours in the parks, I'm dead and want a dip in the hot tub back at the hotel before bed. So 9 pm is plenty late enough for us. So we don't need late EMH either.

I can totally see though how other people do things differently, but for us, it makes zero difference whether we stay onsite or offsite - we always tour the same way.

We stayed onsite once and actually didn't much care for it - only because we didn't feel we got a good value for what we paid (and we were on an airline discount but it still wasn't what I would call "cheap", and we thought it was still too much compared to what you got). But I digress....

We also do a water park only day, a day "off" - maybe hang at the hotel, DTD, whatever, and some trips we do Universal. So not all our days are spent in Disney parks. So out of a typical 7 day trip, we use 4 Disney days and 1 waterpark day (from our tickets). So our tickets last us at least 2 trips and then some. We still have 3 waterpark visits on our old tickets from 3 trips ago.... Love the non-expiring tickets!
Old 06-29-2012, 02:00 PM   #2985
katallo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miz Diz View Post
Which towers have been Refurbished or at least got new sofas? I need to request a tower. I was thinking 2 or 5. I know if our room has a torn sofa or the room is in bad shape, my dh will never stay offsite again. my friend told me to request tower 6, but i would love to try for a fireworks view. Our trips are overlapping by 2 days. She said she always stays in 6.
When we were there a few months ago, management said Tower 3 was the final tower to be refurbished and it was in progress. That being said, we have stayed in Tower 1 and 2 and had a nice lake/fireworks view. Last trip, we were in Tower 4 and had a terrible sofa. Our friends were also in 4 and their sofa was worse than ours. Management did tell us that the new sofas were in transit, so that problem should certainly be solved by now. Hope this helps. I understand about your DH. Mine was not happy with the sofa when we checked in, but we had to live with it
Closed Thread